Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The thing about Coughlin isn't just that he has two Superbowls - it's that he's the only coach other than Bill Belichick to even have multiple championship wins in the last twenty years.

How many even have multiple conference championship wins this century? Belichick and Coughlin, Carroll and McVay, Reid, Tomlin?

Edit: forgot John Fox because they were a decade apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Every fan of every team should heed this advice for Pete’s sake!

Good thing as an Eagles fan this just so happens to be reality :smug:

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Forrest on Fire posted:

Because the owner is a shithead. My pie in the sky dream is just give the team to Sean Payton and hope another HoF QB wants to retire from snowy weather.

Joe Flacco?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/Statholesports/status/1602835195203227648

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Allbright has been on a bit over the past week or two about Sean Payton looking for a LA based gig and not necessary with the Chargers especially if they make the playoffs.

McVay chasing studio money would be an interesting wrinkle to the off-season.

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1602845899469848577

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

McDaniels still has a job???

*flips backwards in chair and legs stick up*

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Kinda funny of the worst 7, 5 have rings and one is a superbowl favorite this year.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

Allbright has been on a bit over the past week or two about Sean Payton looking for a LA based gig and not necessary with the Chargers especially if they make the playoffs.

I’m not sure you can say Carolina is obvious anymore.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Definitely. Tepper aside Willis has to get a reasonable chance to keep the gig.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Dr_Strangelove posted:

*second season

So did Dom Capers for that matter.

the beginning and end of Coughlin's HoF case, like Eli's, is that he beat Belichick/Brady twice. that's all you need. his time with the Jags doesn't matter, it doesn't matter if Eli was actually good (he wasn't), and it shouldn't. it's the hall of fame not the hall of inarguably surpasses some statistical threshold. for example, Gale Sayers

FizFashizzle posted:

I think Wilks will deffo get the job if he wins two more (Saints should be a freebie)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I actually think Wilks is loving excellent as a coach. Just get some poo poo wrecker of an OC who can develop a QB.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
gotta imagine Brian Johnson gets some OC looks this off-season

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Lol Ben Mcadoo gonna get a young qb to mold

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Lol Ben Mcadoo gonna get a young qb to mold

McAdoodoo :smug:

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Ornery and Hornery posted:

McDaniels still has a job???

*flips backwards in chair and legs stick up*

We have an incredibly stupid owner who only really cares about bowl cuts, PF Changs and Hooters.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Black Sunshine posted:

We have an incredibly stupid owner who only really cares about bowl cuts, PF Changs and Hooters.

Also notoriously cash poor. McDaniels gets a few more years unfortunately

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Promotion from interim HC to HC is still technically new

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Diva Cupcake posted:

I really doubt McVay is calling it quits right now, he signed a big contract extension that takes him to 2026 that made him the highest/second highest paid coach in the league. Floating the Amazon stuff in the media was his agents way of getting that money. I think he puts in at least 2 more years and then all bets are off after that.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Breer on the Wilks job.

quote:

From Greg (@panther1gb89): Does Wilks keep the HC job in Carolina? If not, who does Tepper go after?

Greg, the only thing I’ve consistently heard on the Panthers’ pending coaching search is that he’s leaning toward hiring a young, offensive-minded assistant for the position—taking the Rams-in-2017 approach of trying to find the next Sean Payton, rather than hiring the actual Payton (back then, for the Rams, the “Sean Payton” would’ve been Jon Gruden). And so you might consider Detroit’s Ben Johnson, Philly’s Shane Steichen or Buffalo’s Ken Dorsey.

But, to be clear, that doesn’t disqualify Steve Wilks, who’s done a really good job and has earned a real look. Even before Matt Rhule’s firing, people on the coaching staff and in personnel were raving about Wilks and hoping he’d eventually get a second shot at being a head coach after going one-and-done in Arizona (the problem there was largely how he filled out his staff and some misses he had in that regard). So there’s support for him internally, without question.

That said, I do think that Tepper’s going to want to find his own guy here.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's been going for like 3 years so what was the thing that started people saying mcvay is going to retire young or take time off to do tv? was it because an offer got leaked?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

If I were an owner I would try really hard to hire the next Bill Belichick, but failing that I would still be real happy with the next Mike Tomlin. Even getting the next John Harbaugh would be a real solid result. Heck, getting the next Pete Carroll wouldn't be the end of the world.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Simplex posted:

If I were an owner I would try really hard to hire the next Bill Belichick, but failing that I would still be real happy with the next Mike Tomlin. Even getting the next John Harbaugh would be a real solid result. Heck, getting the next Pete Carroll wouldn't be the end of the world.

Sorry, best I can do is Mike McCarthy.

The next Mike McCarthy, you ask?

No. The same Mike McCarthy.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Simplex posted:

Too bad the next Bill Belichick is already locked up running the Pats' defense! Biding his time until he can take over from dear old dad.

(:smithicide:)

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If i just copy everything dad does surely I’ll succeed!!!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Amy Pole Her posted:

If i just copy everything dad does surely I’ll succeed!!!

Quote attributable to:

Joe Judge
Jim Schwartz
Matt Patricia
Romeo Crennel
Eric Mangini
Josh Mcdaniels
Brian Flores
Bill O'Brien
Steve Belichick(pending)

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
you think all those pats coaches ever realize that bill being a miserable rear end in a top hat is not the reason he's successful and in fact is a bad thing where if he didn't have the weight of his record behind him it might cause him a lot of trouble? like im not sure rear end in a top hat bill in his current form could suddenly start coaching in the modern era and get a long enough leash to build up a good record.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
And also him being an rear end in a top hat is more of a public persona to spite the media. I mean, he's still an rear end in a top hat, but to the players he's more of a lovable rear end in a top hat that tries to bring the best from them, as opposed to the idiot assholes in Belicheck's tree who don't understand the level of nuance it takes to be a successful rear end in a top hat rather than a regular garbage rear end in a top hat.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Mega64 posted:

And also him being an rear end in a top hat is more of a public persona to spite the media. I mean, he's still an rear end in a top hat, but to the players he's more of a lovable rear end in a top hat that tries to bring the best from them, as opposed to the idiot assholes in Belicheck's tree who don't understand the level of nuance it takes to be a successful rear end in a top hat rather than a regular garbage rear end in a top hat.

It's a great reminder of how stupid most NFL coaches are in general.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
It's amazing that Bill O'Brien is the most successful branch of the coaching tree and even his tenure with the Texans is considered a disaster (mostly for personnel reasons)

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Mega64 posted:

Eh too much smoke from former Pats players that he's an rear end in a top hat that rubs folks the wrong way. But he's also the winningest coach ever so.. he can do what he wants. Brady succeeding multitudes better than Bill has since the split really helps the argument that his level of bullshit wouldn't cut it tho

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Amy Pole Her posted:

Eh too much smoke from former Pats players that he's an rear end in a top hat that rubs folks the wrong way. But he's also the winningest coach ever so.. he can do what he wants. Brady succeeding multitudes better than Bill has since the split really helps the argument that his level of bullshit wouldn't cut it tho

Brady succeeding with a much fresher team and a really good coach did a lot to play to him doing so well and his recent woes have shown there is a definite limit for him as well.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

At the risk of wading into a big debate that I have literally no stake or rooting interest in, it seems to me that Brady leaving for the Bucs and succeeding while the Pats have languished without him doesn't really say much about Belichick himself, just that it's virtually impossible for a team to excel without a decent quarterback.

As I see it, a good coach raises a bad roster's ceiling somewhat, while a good quarterback significantly raises a bad roster's floor. That is, maybe this year's Bucs are about as bad as a team with Tom Brady could be, and maybe the Pats are currently about as good as a team without a real quarterback could be. I mean, compare the Pats to the Broncos to see what a difference coaching can make. Would anyone say the Pats have a better roster, really?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

was Romeo Crennel a real Belichick Way kinda guy? I thought he had a reputation for being one of the nicer coaches

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Hunt11 posted:

Brady succeeding with a much fresher team and a really good coach did a lot to play to him doing so well and his recent woes have shown there is a definite limit for him as well.

He also got very old and divorced.

When all factors were the same Brady succeeded and BIll didn't. Bill sucks. I will always say this

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Cognac McCarthy posted:

At the risk of wading into a big debate that I have literally no stake or rooting interest in, it seems to me that Brady leaving for the Bucs and succeeding while the Pats have languished without him doesn't really say much about Belichick himself, just that it's virtually impossible for a team to excel without a decent quarterback.

As I see it, a good coach raises a bad roster's ceiling somewhat, while a good quarterback significantly raises a bad roster's floor. That is, maybe this year's Bucs are about as bad as a team with Tom Brady could be, and maybe the Pats are currently about as good as a team without a real quarterback could be. I mean, compare the Pats to the Broncos to see what a difference coaching can make. Would anyone say the Pats have a better roster, really?

that doesn't let you be smug on the internet or on tv though. please reconsider

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Brady carpet bagged a stacked team in a decaying division, and brought the refs with him.

Meanwhile belichick has had to deal with the bills and the now resurgent dolphins and jets.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Its not like they started from scratch. Bill already had his system setup and his decisions have been head scratching to say the least. He let the rest of the AFCE catch up - just got lazy because he had Brady carrying him

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

This year was a whiff by Belichick and even then he's completely rebuilt the defense into something pretty drat good when virtually everyone was saying they had probably the worst secondary in the league in the offseason.

2020 the team got smoked by Covid, it was an old roster and aside from Brady, like a half dozen starters decided to sit out the year due to the plague. And even then he took a broken Cam Newton and finished 7-9. Then last year he took a rookie QB who y'all think is trash and had him playing like an average starter and took a really, really flawed roster to the playoffs.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
bill would probably succeed just fine starting his career now at this level of rear end in a top hat as long as he had a good gm and a reasonably good team. as with late career brady, the thing everybody seems to forget about belichick is: he's a very good football coach, especially on defense. he is good at figuring out schematic advantages; he is good at figuring out how to best take advantage of his players' talents; he is good at coaching up those players to play to those talents. this is not perfect because, you know, the other side gets paid too, and also because his skill at being a gm has really taken a nosedive. part of the reason those other guys don't succeed while being an rear end in a top hat is because they haven't won enough to put up with it, but also because they are not winning enough to put up with it, because they are not as good at coaching nfl football as bill belichick, because he is very good at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

This year was a whiff by Belichick and even then he's completely rebuilt the defense into something pretty drat good when virtually everyone was saying they had probably the worst secondary in the league in the offseason.

2020 the team got smoked by Covid, it was an old roster and aside from Brady, like a half dozen starters decided to sit out the year due to the plague. And even then he took a broken Cam Newton and finished 7-9. Then last year he took a rookie QB who y'all think is trash and had him playing like an average starter and took a really, really flawed roster to the playoffs.

Yeah but he didn't make it to the conference round in any of those years. So, failure!