Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'd like to rescind the following feedback

Lib and let die posted:

I like Majorian as a poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

TehSaurus posted:

I also have mixed feelings on the prohibition of death posting. so much of civilization is organized around murdering the powerless for profit that it feels a bit like :decorum: to not be able to publicly lust for the deaths of the oppressors. Like sure it would be better if the death posts were funny but so much of cspam is just unfunny wailing and gnashing of teeth and I feel like this is just a different flavor of that?

I do understand the history and all that though and I’d rather have cspam without death posting than no cspam so maybe better things aren’t possible.

imo, the "you can do it if it's funny" rule is to prevent the Ashli Babbitt effect -- basically what happens when it's socially acceptable for liberals to post the most deranged takes they can think of on a topic, it escalates into really unhinged and unfunny stuff pretty easily.

It's not about defending billionaires or even stopping people from posting about horrible things happening to them. It's just about putting the absolute minimal effort at humor into it, to avoid it turning into just pages of people posting about graphic death and suicide, which pretty quickly becomes posting about the graphic death and suicide of anyone liberals are mad at for related reasons.

speng31b has issued a correction as of 15:24 on Dec 14, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

speng31b posted:

imo, the "you can do it if it's funny" rule is to prevent the Ashley Babbitt effect -- basically what happens when it's socially acceptable for liberals to post the most deranged takes they can think of on a topic, it escalates into really unhinged and unfunny stuff pretty easily.

It's not about defending billionaires or even stopping people from posting about horrible things happening to them. It's just about putting the absolute minimal effort at humor into it, to avoid it turning into just pages of people posting about graphic death and suicide, which pretty quickly becomes posting about the graphic death and suicide of anyone liberals are mad at for related reasons.

I more or less agree with this. To me it comes back to the most fundamental rule of the SA forums:

quote:

Before posting, please ask yourself the following question: "Am I making a post which is either funny, informative, or interesting on any level?"

"I wish Elon Musk would die" is not funny, informative, or interesting on any level and posts like that overall contribute to a posting environment that encourages worse posts instead of better posts. In general I think cspam improves when fewer posts are screaming at the void and more posts at least try to be funny, informative, or interesting.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

i presented this case to the new landscape of the musk thread. being as nice dense as possible

yeah weird how people weren't receptive to you constantly hammering home "but he used to say cool things" when the argument was that the poo poo he has said lately sucks rear end

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

merge the cum warriors, musk, and trump threads, then send them to GBS or gas them or something, not sure which fate is worse.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

move the trump thread to cccc and make that dog av goon it's ik, they seem good enough

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

studio mujahideen posted:

no, this is lovely in dnd because its done to remove on topic posts from the threads they belong in ("immigration chat doesnt belong in the us politics thread" etc)

relitigating this stupid loving argument about chaz for the 100th time has nothing to do with cspam feedback lol

no one cares about this poo poo. more people on sa need to sincerely just let go of their forum grudges or whatever

didnt read

i was reminded of a conversation we had in the succ zone

there were a lot of people sympathetic to the idea that maybe it's disingenuous to call taibbi rightwing and taibbi dialectics should be considered more fully. no frantic slapping of the report button and calls for bans.

i presented this case to the new landscape of the musk thread. being as nice as possible [i.e. boring], citing over a decades long support of sanders, support for specific policies such as medicare for all, essays about tying the censorship directly to the billionaire privatization of the commons and war propaganda. people were deeply upset that someone would dare suggest this.

idk where im going with this but i hope this helps for feedback

didnt read

TehSaurus posted:

Here’s my feedback: I like cspam. Even though y’all don’t get everything right all the time you’re making a genuine effort at an essentially impossible task and I’m glad you’re here.

I do really dislike the good/bad thread forums warrioring though so it would be cool if there was less of that. Also if we could get 10000000 hour probes for idiots from other forums hate posting in the Covid thread I would like that. Idiots from other parts of cspam are still ok though.

I also have mixed feelings on the prohibition of death posting. so much of civilization is organized around murdering the powerless for profit that it feels a bit like :decorum: to not be able to publicly lust for the deaths of the oppressors. Like sure it would be better if the death posts were funny but so much of cspam is just unfunny wailing and gnashing of teeth and I feel like this is just a different flavor of that?

I do understand the history and all that though and I’d rather have cspam without death posting than no cspam so maybe better things aren’t possible.

didnt read

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Is wishing that evil rich people be visited in the night by three spirits who impress upon them the necessity of changing their ways in terms so stark and terrifying that they cannot help be moved against forums rules?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Lib and let die posted:

merge the cum warriors, musk, and trump threads, then send them to GBS or gas them or something, not sure which fate is worse.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

docbeard posted:

Is wishing that evil rich people be visited in the night by three spirits who impress upon them the necessity of changing their ways in terms so stark and terrifying that they cannot help be moved against forums rules?

yes. it is BEB

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

didnt read

didnt read

didnt read

i read all of them

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

I'd like to rescind the following feedback

lol tough but fair.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

there were a lot of people sympathetic to the idea that maybe it's disingenuous to call taibbi rightwing and taibbi dialectics should be considered more fully. no frantic slapping of the report button and calls for bans.

i presented this case to the new landscape of the musk thread. being as nice as possible [i.e. boring], citing over a decades long support of sanders, support for specific policies such as medicare for all, essays about tying the censorship directly to the billionaire privatization of the commons and war propaganda. people were deeply upset that someone would dare suggest this.

What you have to understand is that the Musk thread is a mock thread. It's like those threads about Blizzard or Star Citizen or w/e where people post 100000000 times about how much they hate the thing. People go there to call him Elong Muskrat and wish death upon him. Like here's a couple of recent posts:

quote:

He will only taste ashes for the rest of his pathetic existence.

quote:

I hope it's soon and accompanied by the taste of hot lead before he rids us of his existence

And so on. You made posts which didn't attack Elon Musk, who is the new bogeyman, which means you support him. That's literally all they took from your posts. They don't care about the govt censoring social media. That's not what the thread is about.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

The Pussy Boss posted:

What you have to understand is that the Musk thread is a mock thread. It's like those threads about Blizzard or Star Citizen or w/e where people post 100000000 times about how much they hate the thing. People go there to call him Elong Muskrat and wish death upon him. Like here's a couple of recent posts:

And so on. You made posts which didn't attack Elon Musk, who is the new bogeyman, which means you support him. That's literally all they took from your posts. They don't care about the govt censoring social media. That's not what the thread is about.

which is why it should be moved to gbs which is where most of the thread's posters are from anyways

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i don't know where on the forums a defense of matt taibbi would be at home except the now dead glenn thread, but yeah the musk thread isn't going to be receptive to it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dustcat posted:

i don't know where on the forums a defense of matt taibbi would be at home except the now dead glenn thread, but yeah the musk thread isn't going to be receptive to it

The Brie Gray thread (ie: the Glennchat refugee thread) is still open.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

with all due respect to cbo, I wish my succ-thread post hadn't been thrown into the musk thread as chum, and then again here, bc it just means more weirdos coming into the succ thread & aggro-posting in reply to a post I wrote 2 weeks ago, and then a fairly high likelihood of them sending me weird aggro PMs once I ignore them in the succ thread. :wink:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

AnimeIsTrash posted:

there 100% is osme fail thread in the mod forums about handling the glenn thread lmfao

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lol there isn't.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you're just running into another example of the glenn problem where people are unable to parse the incoherent politics of gen x journalists like glenn and taibbi and decide they're right-wing by default. the musk thread pulled people in from GBS i guess so that's even more the case than normal. people want to just put him in the same bucket as bari weiss because they're working together on this (that's clearly something elon decided imo)

500 good dogs posted:

which is why it should be moved to gbs which is where most of the thread's posters are from anyways

there are way too many bernie avatars in that thread for it to be mostly GBS posters. you are welcome to go yell at the bad opinions if you want. ime people start saying that "most" of a thread's posters are from GBS when it hits like 10% GBS 90% CSPAM or so lol

Dustcat posted:

the glennthread global initiative is complete. all threads are glenn

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Jazerus posted:

the glennthread global initiative is complete. all threads are glenn

Glennthread posters reaching out and turning other threads into LCL as the Human Glennstrumentality Project begins

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

Glennthread posters reaching out and turning other threads into LCL as the Human Glennstrumentality Project begins

How disgusting...

speng31b
May 8, 2010

i think you should just be proud of having achieved perfect glennbrain. you can post correct things people get disproportionately mad about because they've already decided what "side" you are on, and even the mods are mad at you for it

tbh i figured this was your intention

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

TehSaurus posted:

I do really dislike the good/bad thread forums warrioring though so it would be cool if there was less of that. Also if we could get 10000000 hour probes for idiots from other forums hate posting in the Covid thread I would like that. Idiots from other parts of cspam are still ok though.

Broke: Good/bad thread dichotomy.
Woke: Good/bad sub-forum dichotomy.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Have we considered just giving each of the mega threads it’s own subforum and then we could forum wars even harder, and then maybe those subs could splinter into even more subs until we get to a beautiful endpoint where we’re each an ik of our own thread that only we post in that’s nested seven subs deep from a desolate CSPAM?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Jazerus posted:

there are way too many bernie avatars in that thread for it to be mostly GBS posters. you are welcome to go yell at the bad opinions if you want. ime people start saying that "most" of a thread's posters are from GBS when it hits like 10% GBS 90% CSPAM or so lol

This would maybe worry me when people can't tell the difference between gbs and my posts.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Have we considered just giving each of the mega threads it’s own subforum and then we could forum wars even harder, and then maybe those subs could splinter into even more subs until we get to a beautiful endpoint where we’re each an ik of our own thread that only we post in that’s nested seven subs deep from a desolate CSPAM?

seems to work for reddit

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Every megathread is already feels like this. There are several threads where you'll see something like "crack ping syq open biden lol. lmao" and it rightfully looks like gibberish to anyone outside that thread.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

We should be able to attribute and link posts from other forums, which do the same for us, the only forum with said rule

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

"crack ping syq open biden lol. lmao"

I remember when this was "vendor buy me the bank guards"

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

catchphrases should probably be cracked down on yeah

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

saying "full mask off" should be a bannable offense

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

saying "whats the over/under" about something that isnt numbers, should be met with permabanning. no one denies this.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lobster shirt posted:

saying "full mask off" should be a bannable offense

Holy moly

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

What’s the money line on Dems getting destroyed in 2024?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Complaining about gangtags should be a capital offense

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lobster shirt posted:

saying "whats the over/under" about something that isnt numbers, should be met with permabanning. no one denies this.

I'm the over and ur mom's the under

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

What’s the money line on Dems getting destroyed in 2024?

They'll get annihilated in the Senate and Biden will somehow win by more than he did in 2020.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Every megathread is already feels like this. There are several threads where you'll see something like "crack ping syq open biden lol. lmao" and it rightfully looks like gibberish to anyone outside that thread.

“aids”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Jazerus posted:

there are way too many bernie avatars in that thread for it to be mostly GBS posters.

bernie sanders is gbs