Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure we should have any sort of simulated battle network when there are real-world battles occurring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I hope we get some nice bonus features, seems to be taking a long time for them to package 6 GBA ROMs.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I have all six games on various devices in my bedroom but I think I'm going to pick up the collection because MMBN owns

Though for mega Man Battle Network 6, I might seek out a patched GBA ROM that adds back cut postgame content

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4lIn2Ul5oQ

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
wow online trading and net battles is a pretty sweet set of additions

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Feels Villeneuve posted:

didnt need nintendo to tell me this. i really need to delete STS it's keeping me from playing other games

StS and Splatoon 3 both in the top 3 for me too, but Civ 6 took the lead spot just last month with 90 hours thanks to hot seat multiplayer and downright unholy loading times. 25% of my game time was spent on shmups, with Crimzon Clover leading that category at 22 hours. not bad. seems like the metrics are more accurate than last year.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My year in review is mostly nonsense. My “by month” summary has 18 games.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Nintendo need to make a STS clone with Zelda or Kirby.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Pretty much what I expected as I only really use my Switch to play RPGs.

Wildtortilla posted:

My year in review is mostly nonsense. My “by month” summary has 18 games.

I'm seeing similar weirdness on mine as well. I have 3 "Most Played" games for June.

Also I don't know whether it's just a weird thing with the Japanese version but my genres included "fight to get stronger" which unsurprisingly is a 90% overlap with "role-playing".

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Huxley posted:

We bought Tetris Effect in March, and apparently my wife has played 400 hours of JUST Purify mode.

i really wanted to like tetris effect but it is just so bright and seizure-inducing. it’s just too much.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

100m Tetris

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Tetris DS is the actual best Tetris

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm playing Ori and Da Wisps and it's amazing, really love it, especially the soundtrack.

But it's the sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest, I got them mixed up. If I play the first one afterwards, will it be a notable step down?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you like the combat Ori 1 has much, much simpler combat. I think it's still good if what you like is the platforming/chase sections though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
is the switch version of Chronocross any good? As in...done well and runs well not necessarily your opinions on if the game itself is good :colbert:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Levitate posted:

is the switch version of Chronocross any good? As in...done well and runs well not necessarily your opinions on if the game itself is good :colbert:

it's kind of a low-effort warts-and-all port but it's fine.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm playing Ori and Da Wisps and it's amazing, really love it, especially the soundtrack.

But it's the sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest, I got them mixed up. If I play the first one afterwards, will it be a notable step down?

Ori 1 is a much simpler game, which isn't necessarily bad, but I'd say doing them in reverse order would feel a bit weird. I think it's more consistent and elegant overall, sequel has higher highs but lower lows.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's kind of a low-effort warts-and-all port but it's fine.

yeah mostly just wondering if it's worth grabbing for $12 if I never played ChronoCross and there wont be any "wow it runs even worse on the switch for some reason" or "they made some really dumb change that sucks!"
I know the original version had its share of issues

Now I just wish someone would release Xenogears :argh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Levitate posted:

It runs exactly like it did on PS1, I will leave it up to you if that's a positive or a negative

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Actually I think if you turn the new graphics on it runs worse than the PS1 original

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's true to the experience of playing the original!!!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Levitate posted:

I like the graphical upgrade and I'm very tolerant of the text boxes. The music is phenomenal and I haven't noticed any porting issues. It's one of my favorites because of the soundtrack.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Sakurazuka posted:

Actually I think if you turn the new graphics on it runs worse than the PS1 original

Yeah, old graphics run the same as PS1, new graphics run worse than PS1 - on every platform, not just switch. It’s also missing some minor graphical effects, and they forgot about the updates to the prerendered backgrounds that they originally made for the english release, to make the text on signs and stuff match the localized names.

(That last one is a very minor thing in CC, but “original english release got updates and/or bugfixes that are forgotten and lost in modern port” is a running theme in a lot of these modern rereleases that I really hate)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

yeah lot of it always seems low effort "just get it on another platform" which is unfortunate

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just tell yourself youre enjoying the game in the same way as you would have when it was released :cheerdoge:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Feels Villeneuve posted:

just tell yourself youre enjoying the game in the same way as you would have when it was released :cheerdoge:

tbh that's mostly fine!

graphical updates of PS1 games are usually not that great to begin with

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That whole generation (including a lot of N64 games) are just lovely enough that updating them without a full overhaul is almost always pretty bad.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Ori 1 is a much simpler game, which isn't necessarily bad, but I'd say doing them in reverse order would feel a bit weird. I think it's more consistent and elegant overall, sequel has higher highs but lower lows.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

If you like the combat Ori 1 has much, much simpler combat. I think it's still good if what you like is the platforming/chase sections though.

Well, it's only £3.99 on Steam, so why not? Thanks!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Levitate posted:

tbh that's mostly fine!

graphical updates of PS1 games are usually not that great to begin with

im weird enough that i honestly prefer the original resolution to upscaling too

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The annoying thing is I actually like the changes in the new graphics mode - the high res ui looks nicer, and the model updates are all pretty well done. They’re still PS1 models, but they’re PS1 models made by people with more experience in 3d modeling, like the difference between Mario in 64 and 64DS. But the framerate drop in what’s already not the smoothest game is a dealbreaker.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Feels Villeneuve posted:

im weird enough that i honestly prefer the original resolution to upscaling too

I usually dont' care too much, like the original IOS remakes of the FF games that smoothed the sprites and all that. It's fine. In the end as long as it's not a blurry unrecognizable mess then that's fine with me, I know i'm playing an old rear end game and don't need to expect modern resolutions

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Chrono Cross achieves a real unique vibe...I'd describe it as existential melancholy. The soundtrack contributes to it a lot, as well.

Great game but I think it would help to be in the right headspace for it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the Klonoa updates (especially Klonoa 2) are nice and everything but I absolutely adore the original weird "sprites in 3d environment" look of the original Klonoa and think it's a big part of its charm

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
door to phantomile is such a pretty game

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

chunky 2.5d is one of my favourite video game aesthetics, they've aged like milk but the milk turned to cheese. i think? pretty sure that's how cheese works anyway

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

EightFlyingCars posted:

chunky 2.5d is one of my favourite video game aesthetics, they've aged like milk but the milk turned to cheese. i think? pretty sure that's how cheese works anyway

That's how it worked in Brave Fencer Musashi, so it's good enough for me.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

It runs exactly like it did on PS1, I will leave it up to you if that's a positive or a negative

If it lets me bring a life sized voodoo doll, complete with iron spike through his chest, and a cute little blue martian looking dude in my party, 10/10 GOTY

certain I don't have to look, it's animal crossing as my most played this year.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 14, 2022

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
My most played game this year was slay the spire...which I think is a pretty decent game (when it's not pissing me off) but I'm not over the moon for. It's just kinda fine. But it's quick and easy to start a run and it works real well for podcast/YouTube/tv :shrug:

It even beat out into the breach

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
My most played game this year was Silksong.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SkeletonHero posted:

My most played game this year was Silksong.

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
The minecart level is so good