Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I've always wondered how many goals Stamkos would've gotten without all the injuries. He's about to get to 500, and I think he could've challenged for 700. Not Ovie level by any means. I'm mostly happy he's still as productive as he is after all the injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Stammer drops in around 1.7 goals per 60 minutes of ice time, all situations. Ovie averages 1.9 for the same. Still pretty exceptional.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Looks like Dallas Eakins is still a hilariously terrible coach

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Stamkos has missed like 150 games, so he'd probably be getting close to 600 by now assuming he had another 60-80 goals in those games. Maybe it's even more, and he could have 100+ more than he does, if you assume he also scores more in the games he did play because in this hypothetical he's not playing injured at all. I think he'll probably still get 600 or very close to it. 32 is "old" for the NHL but if he plays another 4-5 years who knows.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Kale posted:

He was an awful coach with the fuckin Marlies over a decade ago, I remember he ripped Kadri in training camp for having an unacceptable body fat % lol

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Kale posted:

Terrible screen grab, but poo poo like this is hilarious because it keeps on happening on every team he coaches

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I laughed even more because during the break the talking heads were blathering about how Marner was shooting more this season and therefore Gibson had to respect Marner potentially shooting there and couldn't worry about a pass getting through.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Positively Dave Hakstolian!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Can we stick a fork in Philly and Columbus yet?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SethRorabaugh/status/1603085838254063617?s=20&t=NJzLfxd0NMepR-w2Wtu86Q

Pens went an impressive stretch of being healthy but this was bound to happen sooner or later.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah I think the East playoff teams are pretty close to set already. The top 3 in each division seem pretty safe, especially in the Atlantic, even if their order changes. I think the Islanders, Rangers, Panthers, and Capitals will be jockeying for those two wild card spots.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Two weeks ago Torts was talking about how the Flyers were only five points out lol

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

That wasn't Torts it was Fletcher. Torts basically said "we suck"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I am terribly sorry for disparaging the wrong idiot

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

RMNB with the charts. Some of these lists aren’t complete cause it’s too long, like he’s scored on 165 freaking goalies over the years…

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Ovie had that dip when everyone figured out he'd want to go outside towards the left wall and then do the toe drag and release into shinpads. Trotz, I think, should be credited with reworking their offense to get better looks and spacing for Ovie off the rush/zone entrances.

Didn't that happen under Adam Oates?

He may have never been a good coach but at least he remembered how he set up Brett Hull.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

We don’t talk about the Oatese.cx years…

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

https://twitter.com/SethRorabaugh/status/1603085838254063617?s=20&t=NJzLfxd0NMepR-w2Wtu86Q

Pens went an impressive stretch of being healthy but this was bound to happen sooner or later.

Well Matheson has only played like 9 games so at least the got a few months outta Petry instead.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

He was an awful coach with the fuckin Marlies over a decade ago, I remember he ripped Kadri in training camp for having an unacceptable body fat % lol

Best part is it's ok to laugh at him for being a bad coach because he's also a giant pissbaby. In the late "we have nothing else to talk about" part of the game the announcers broke out a story of how the Leafs had a photo of Wendel Clark skating away from some dude he'd just beat up and left in a crumpled pile on the ice hanging in the dressing room.

When Dallas Eakins was a Leaf assistant, he made them take it down because that was his body in the pic and he claimed the picture was an unfair depiction of the fight because he claimed it was a draw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHRxxlj2n68.

Like I can see wanting it down because it's harder for a coach to get the respect of guys in the room when there's a pic of them getting embarrassed that the guys are staring at all day, but that was not a draw.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
You also could not possibly identify who was being fought in the picture as all but an arm was obscured by Wendel.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
But his mom told him that it was a draw, so it must have been.

He's lucky he went down fast or he would have really gotten his rear end kicked.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

Terrible screen grab, but poo poo like this is hilarious because it keeps on happening on every team he coaches

Revenge of the Swarm! :black101:

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

pseudodragon posted:

Like I can see wanting it down because it's harder for a coach to get the respect of guys in the room when there's a pic of them getting embarrassed that the guys are staring at all day, but that was not a draw.

It also wasn't much of a fight. I bet the picture was better than the video.

But, yes, Dallas Eakins sucks.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

eXXon posted:

I laughed even more because during the break the talking heads were blathering about how Marner was shooting more this season and therefore Gibson had to respect Marner potentially shooting there and couldn't worry about a pass getting through.

It prob looks different in full motion but if Gibson backs up to his right and seals the short side post there he leaves that pass across even more open than it is in that pic. If he backs towards the guy in the paint he opens a bunch of room on the short side. Looks like he's playing that situation fine to me, it has to be almost impossible to play the position (at least at this level) if you base your angle/depth/reads on the assumption that your defence is going to be horrendously loving everything up that badly. I am also a very dim and stupid person so would be interested for a better goalie knower to describe how Gibson should've played that one

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Really the broadcast should probably not be talking about the goalie when there’s two opposing players behind four defenders in-zone. That wasn’t a rush opportunity either, Marner got passed the puck at the blueline, skated downhill and that… situation just manifested.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
imo the Sens have decent talent and just need a competent coach.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, Gibson doesn't look off the angles on it. He just doesn't have any help from the rest of his team. Someone needs to be boxing out Tavares and I'm sure at least 1-2 of the Ducks had a chance to get in better position on Marner too.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I don't see how that's Gibson's fault. It's 4-on-2 down low, the goalie's job there is the shot. It's up to the other 4 dudes to either break up the pass or take JT/Marner out of the play. Or better yet, not let 2 guys get between them and the goalie in the first place.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Uh, I'm not saying Gibson is the only person or even the main one at fault there, but Marner switched to his backhand and was angling away from the crease. There wasn't really a reasonable opportunity for a shot. I suppose Marner could have gone back to his forehand and cut across the crease, but either way lots of goalies keep their sticks ready to poke away cross-crease passes and that was a perfectly reasonable option for Gibson there.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

lol Atlanta. That's like 6 goals a year against them.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Also watching the Ducks play reinforced for me that Gibson didn’t suddenly become bad, he’s just getting shelled constantly behind an awful, awful team. Dude made a bunch of good saves before being forced out of the game.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v587ca15X80

good lord

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It sure looked, from multiple angles, that the head was the principle point of contact. Not sure why there wasn’t a penalty?!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
You can hit to the head, it's not strictly illegal.

quote:

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an
opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and
such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted.
In determining whether contact with an opponent's head was
avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be
considered:

(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the
opponent’s body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor
timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the
body upward or outward.

(ii) Whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by
assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full
body check unavoidable.

(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body
or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way
that significantly contributed to the head contact.

The main by the book thing with that hit is whether it was "avoidable" -- like he could have hit him a different way to not brain him, and did Hronek put himself in that position.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
What the gently caress was Hronek doing there. I'm not saying he deserved to get hit like that, but he was being really loving stupid.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Wait so you're allowed to just ram the guy with the puck coming down the ice? Why doesn't the defense just do that on every play?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DancingMachine posted:

Wait so you're allowed to just ram the guy with the puck coming down the ice? Why doesn't the defense just do that on every play?

Cause if you gently caress it up there’s a wide range of bad things that can happen to you

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

DancingMachine posted:

It's extremely difficult to hit the guy square on and pretty much requires him to not be paying attention, usually you'll whiff which takes you completely out of the play and also can get you injured. Plus it's hard to line him up without it being charging.

Reaves can try it because hitting/cheapshotting/trying to injure dudes is his entire job and taking himself out of the play doesn't matter since he does nothing useful hockeywise anyway. But 95% of players will just infuriate their coach if they go for the big open ice hit and miss. It's actually one of the most obvious differences between hockey now and hockey 20+ years ago, watch any game from the late 90s and there are dudes flying around trying for big open ice hits and usually missing all the time.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 15, 2022

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Yeah, it gets risky as soon as you have to take one (1) stride. However, tonight that didn't particularly matter...

https://twitter.com/JoeSmithNHL/status/1603228669010497537

Detroit coaching staff's take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Koth posted:

What the gently caress was Hronek doing there. I'm not saying he deserved to get hit like that, but he was being really loving stupid.

He was looking over making sure he wasn't about to get his pocket picked and have a breakaway go the other way.