Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

thathonkey posted:

the only person i knew irl who had a tesla was a coworker and he spent the first week of ownership on the phone with "tech support" because his windshield wipers wouldnt come on

I have to wonder how much could Tesla shave off the car price if they rid of all the doodads? All the stupid stuff like the electric doors, menu driven wipers and glove boxes, that's gotta be more expensive than a simple latch or switch and it has add up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Viscous Soda posted:

I have to wonder how much could Tesla shave off the car price if they rid of all the doodads? All the stupid stuff like the electric doors, menu driven wipers and glove boxes, that's gotta be more expensive than a simple latch or switch and it has add up.

they don't have the tooling to do that, it would cost them a fuckload of money to engineer and fab those options since they're not going to bin anything from another manufacturer

I doubt anyone would allow Tesla to use their parts bin at this point, either

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 14, 2022

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

love to have a 20 minute tech demo before being able to move the car out of the driveway

explain the key feature
explain the charging port
explain the door handles
explain the key position needing
explain dont drop the key down this gap between the centre console sections
explain parking brake
explain wipers
explain regen brakes
explain seat profiles
explain mirror adjustments
explain gear shifter
explain the beeps and boops
explain turn signal

literally all of these things are all different from the bog standard car in 2022.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Viscous Soda posted:

All of that stuff is extremely cheap, probably cheaper than an actual mechanical switch and the switches cost pennies

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 14, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Viscous Soda posted:

Putting everything on the touchscreen saves them money vs having dedicated buttons for stuff. Maybe not for the glovebox latch (though I wouldn't be surprised) but they're 100% saving money but not giving you a stalk for the wipers.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
https://twitter.com/Whatapityonyou/status/1602729377426726912

A political connection? :iiam:

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

Where's Larry Ellison!?

On a yacht. Not the one he used 60 Minutes as a classified ad for; they aired it twice to let us know it was sold.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

MrQwerty posted:

lmao I bet it ends up Thiel or Zuck vs. Musk

Thiel vs Musk would be a hard loving choice. While Musk is visibly enhancing the voice of the alt-Right and spreading conspiracy theories, Thiel is funding lots of subtle initiatives that advance alt-right causes and Covid-misinformation. Musk is probably visibly worse than Thiel but I bet Thiel is doing more actual harm because he understands some level of subtlety and how the system really works. Thiel has been very effective at influencing public policy on Covid and other topics in a way that is great for him and corporations but terrible for basically the world.

Edit: Zuck is terrible in his own ways but his metaverse boondoggle has taken up so much time and energy that it has kept him from being as lovely as the other two recently.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 14, 2022

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Let's not jump to conclusions! The NYT told me "it's not so simple" and "what he stands for remains largely unclear."

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i skipped like 5000 posts because i cannot keep up. i just want to say that the twitter experience is getting worse, read people's posted tweets threads, the 7th tweet in their thread was nowhere to be found. eventually i realized it was being hidden (had to press that show all replies thing).

another tweet that had just 1 video, everyone's talking about all this other poo poo that didn't happen in the video. i load the tweet from the ios app to a web browser and lo and behold, the ios app was only showing me 1 video instead of all 3 linked

anwyways

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
But I was told that if you go woke you go broke?????

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Strong Sauce posted:

i skipped like 5000 posts because i cannot keep up. i just want to say that the twitter experience is getting worse, read people's posted tweets threads, the 7th tweet in their thread was nowhere to be found. eventually i realized it was being hidden (had to press that show all replies thing).

another tweet that had just 1 video, everyone's talking about all this other poo poo that didn't happen in the video. i load the tweet from the ios app to a web browser and lo and behold, the ios app was only showing me 1 video instead of all 3 linked

anwyways

lol he's making people gently caress with the iOS experience because Tim Apple chastised him

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Money and approval? in my politics?!?!?!??!??!?!?!??!?!?!

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

Viscous Soda posted:

I'd hazard a guess that mechanical replacements for all the menu-driven electronic doo-dads would cost more. Electronics can be pretty cheap, especially if reliability isn't a concern

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Slotducks posted:

love to have a 20 minute tech demo before being able to move the car out of the driveway

explain the key feature
explain the charging port
explain the door handles
explain the key position needing
explain dont drop the key down this gap between the centre console sections
explain parking brake
explain wipers
explain regen brakes
explain seat profiles
explain mirror adjustments
explain gear shifter
explain the beeps and boops
explain turn signal

literally all of these things are all different from the bog standard car in 2022.
while I'm not defending the god-awful design decisions made on Tesla's, the average driver should absolutely be spending more than 20 minutes learning the features of a new vehicle before driving it, especially modern ones

Almost every time I get into a new car I'll (if the owner is cool with it) fiddle around in the settings and hit buttons, because I'm a manchild who loves new Buttons, and find multiple features that the owner didn't know existed, or could be altered.

sometimes they're important safety ones that you really want to know the function of, and how they work, and how to set them properly for the kind of driving you do, like pedal distance adjustment, TCS/lane control/autobrake aggressiveness, stopstart time delay, alerts, etc.

Newer cars are a lot like tech items nowadays, the first thing you want to do is dive into the settings and the owner's manual, because the default settings are usually pretty obnoxious or bad & even if they're not, you want to know what they are and do

that being said Teslas are definitely the worst about this, both in feature bloat and the amount of stupid novelties you need to be aware of before they might impact your ability to enter/drive the car, and it's all poo poo no good vehicle manufacturer does, for a good reason

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Or be like Musk and skip vital steps on the speedrun.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Butterwagon posted:

I'd hazard a guess that mechanical replacements for all the menu-driven electronic doo-dads would cost more. Electronics can be pretty cheap, especially if reliability isn't a concern

they literally have to retool all their lines to offer those options and then engineer them, or buy from other auto manufacturer's parts bins and engineer for them, and I don't think that's ever going to happen on either end.

So spend billions to retool their lines and open new logistics chains to offer features that aren't reinventing the wheel.

Not gonna happen, and Tesla is gonna keep sinking.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Butterwagon posted:

yeah the reason that they all have the same features is for manufacturing simplicity, it's easier for them to lock features behind after-sale transactions than it is for them to build a second assembly line line of cars without them. the biggest physical difference between the lowest and highest trim is the drivetrain, the rest of the the vehicle is pretty identical, just locked behind DLC

pretty much every design problem with Teslas comes down to "it was cheaper to mass produce this way"

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Freedom of speech
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1603112711025475589

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Musk just banned the ElonJet's owner from Twitter as well. FREE SPEECH

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein...%5Es1_&ref_url=

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Elon now also suspended the account of the person running the ElonJet account. Finally speech is free

edit: beaten by seconds, the woke mind virus strikes again

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They're also content warning mastodon links

https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/1602857445818339329?s=20&t=7Te_l67zFycWTs52A64LEA

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Can this man Elon musk remotely brick peoples Teslas if he knows they posted about him? Is this a thing he could possibly due to customers?

Edit: I’m just curious because he seems pretty thin skinned to spend 44 billion to ban a plane tracker

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

loving lol elon is going to Streisand Effect an alternative platform into relevancy.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

I sure hope no one else makes a bot using the public Twitter API and the public flight tracker API to track Elon's jet again... that would be terrible

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

they should post and find out what the limit on mastodon is

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I have a feeling these guys are going to get nuked in a mistaken crossfire at some point.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Can this man Elon musk remotely brick peoples Teslas if he knows they posted about him? Is this a thing he could possibly due to customers?

Edit: I’m just curious because he seems pretty thin skinned to spend 44 billion to ban a plane tracker

Yes, they can brick vehicles, they typically brick vehicles listed as salvage but there's nothing stopping them from bricking a vehicle owned by someone who upsets Elon.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Probably. He canceled an employee’s Tesla reservation for criticizing him once. Maybe all those lovely cars bursting into flames aren’t solely due to poor craftsmanship. :tinfoil:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Bricking a car would be massive liability and would probably in the short term absolutely destroy sales.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

He does this to build up and maintain a public persona.

to what end tho?

i dont really get the appeal. if i was a billionaire, especially an evil billionaire, i'm pretty sure i'd devote a chunk of my resources to keeping my name out of any media and ensuring that no one knew who i was except for crazy conspiracy theorists who would be immediately dismissed as nuts simply for mentioning my supposed existence

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It looks like he's trying to do the Conan hip dance but he doesn't know the moves.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Jelly posted:

I have a feeling these guys are going to get nuked in a mistaken crossfire at some point.

I'm sure Brent would be fine with that

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kw0134 posted:

Bricking a car would be massive liability and would probably in the short term absolutely destroy sales.

So we should expect it before the week is out then

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

kw0134 posted:

Tesla owners would turn on the person who owned the car and say they deserved it rather than criticize the car design in any way

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

kw0134 posted:

So would letting your car mow down pedestrians but here we are

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

bobjr posted:

Tesla owners would turn on the person who owned the car and say they deserved it rather than criticize the car design in any way

The person it happened to would preface disclosing it happened with how much they love Tesla and Elon and it was totally their own fault, but

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:allears:

I can't remember ever seeing a warning like that for any url.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Butterwagon posted:

I sure hope no one else makes a bot using the public Twitter API and the public flight tracker API to track Elon's jet again... that would be terrible

The guy that tracks the jet has a website for it anyway (along with source on how to set up your own tracker)

http://elonjet.net

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

the sight of this man fills me with the urge to pants him and shove him in a locker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

bobjr posted:

Yeah this is pretty much what happens now if any Tesla owner dares to complain about any kind of issue at all. Doesn't matter how much they proclaim to love their Tesla either, talking about a problem will unleash the hordes