Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Podima posted:

These two games are awesome, and both have online versions too!

I found an online version of Hanamikoji on Happy Meeple but I can't find Watergate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Spikes32 posted:

Are there any good two player games not listed in the op?

I picked up The Field of the Cloth of Gold by Hollandspiele in the black Friday sales and it's really good, very simple but very agonising choices.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Spikes32 posted:

Lately I've been enjoying:
Splendor Duel
Caesar! Seize Rome in twenty minutes!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Spikes32 posted:

Twilight Struggle.

Also been really enjoying Memoir '44 recently.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

quote:

two player games not in OP

Sekigahara is dope. Throw on some traditional Japanese drumming music and let the theme and great gameplay just wash over you. That said, if it's anything for you like what it was for me you've never played anything like it and will take a bit of time to figure out EXTREME BLOCK WARFARE but I'll invoke the most infamous phrase in our gaming circle: It's Honestly Not That Complicated Once You Wrap Your Head Around It.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Undaunted: Normandy is great 2p game, as is Targi.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Magnetic North posted:

I found an online version of Hanamikoji on Happy Meeple but I can't find Watergate?

It looks like it's just in alpha at the moment (my bad) but will be coming to BGA at some point: https://twitter.com/plumpythimble/status/1601694547083661312?s=46&t=SG70CJvcoQpa0JPIjGWzUw

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks for all the suggestions, looking at them all now

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Podima posted:

It looks like it's just in alpha at the moment (my bad) but will be coming to BGA at some point: https://twitter.com/plumpythimble/status/1601694547083661312?s=46&t=SG70CJvcoQpa0JPIjGWzUw

It's in alpha since last year at the very least.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Muir posted:

I like Terraforming Mars but I might be the only one the thread. Ark Nova has also been popular recently.

Terraforming Mars is great.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Spikes32 posted:

To go the traditional board game route, Cribbage and Backgammon are both great and fast to play.

Horrified is a coop game that plays great at two, especially if your playing with someone who is not into heavier games.

Speaking of Watergate, I just found out there was a promo pack it called "A Change in History." It's just two cards, one for each player, that can be used to make the game easier for new players:

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/6774765/watergate-change-history

The cards don't go in the decks so you can easily homebrew it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Podima posted:

It’s such a simple game, maybe it will skip beta and be available this month with all the other releases?
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28093

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Can anyone who has played Oathsworn or Dungeon Universalis comment on the quality of game play? I don’t have any dungeon crawlers, gloom was a bust for us, and would like to try another.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Ropes4u posted:

Can anyone who has played Oathsworn or Dungeon Universalis comment on the quality of game play? I don’t have any dungeon crawlers, gloom was a bust for us, and would like to try another.

My friend who is deep down the rabbit hole of dungeon crawlers adores Oathsworn.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Spikes32 posted:

Fields of Arle is one of my favorite games

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Any convention goers get to try Rise & Fall or Revive? Word of mouth on both has been quite good.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

This is technically more fighting game related than board game related but I just wanted to state for the record, gently caress David Sirlin.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Glagha posted:

This is technically more fighting game related than board game related but I just wanted to state for the record, gently caress David Sirlin.

That's been a tenet of these threads since before I was posting in TG. Did he do something specific recently?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Magnetic North posted:

That's been a tenet of these threads since before I was posting in TG. Did he do something specific recently?

He got anticipated turn-based fighting game Yomi Hustle pulled off of steam on a copyright violation. They're needing to change the name, even though Yomi is literally a word. Also a really interesting thing to pull after being "inspired" by that Dominion chip mod for Puzzle Strike.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Glagha posted:

He got anticipated turn-based fighting game Yomi Hustle pulled off of steam on a copyright violation. They're needing to change the name, even though Yomi is literally a word. Also a really interesting thing to pull after being "inspired" by that Dominion chip mod for Puzzle Strike.

Copyright? That seems odd. Sounds more like trademark to me as a non-lawyer, a layman, and history's greatest idiot. And yeah, this all sounds especially droll coming from a repeat offender IP thief.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Could also be trademark, I'll be real that I am speaking as a person who only vaguely understands the distinction.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Glagha posted:

Could also be trademark, I'll be real that I am speaking as a person who only vaguely understands the distinction.

It's trademark. Probably oversimplifying: think of trademark as the brand (including the name), and copyright as the content. "Harry Potter" is trademarked; the text of the books and video/audio of the movies is copyrighted. Trademark is there so that you can't legally stamp "Magic: The Gathering" on cards of your own design and sell them; people might believe your awful cards are real, and stop buying WotC's (or they might believe yours are amazing, and stop buying WotC's). Copyright is there so that you can't legally take scans of your MtG cards and stamp "Glagha: The Gamefying" on the package and sell them.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Yeah, if I want to make a game that is MtG but plays faster, I can rip off Wizards' mechanics all day long. They can't stop me if I don't copy their wording (and stay away from anything they may have patented.)

But if I call it Magic Express or Fast Magic, I'm going to get owned because of trademark, even though magic is "just a word," and a much more common word in the US than "yomi."

I can also get taken to court for copying their trade dress, which is where Sirlin could probably/maybe have gotten in trouble himself before with puzzle strike.

Assuming you accept our society's IP regime at all, I don't see any problem with him forcing a game with a similar theme to his to not also have a similar name - that's what trademark is ostensibly for: avoiding confusion in the marketplace. You're free to say that the way we handle IP is philosophically bullshit and mainly designed to protect the Disneys of the world and I don't think you'll get much argument.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, if I want to make a game that is MtG but plays faster, I can rip off Wizards' mechanics all day long. They can't stop me if I don't copy their wording (and stay away from anything they may have patented.)

Remember that Cryptozooic got sued into the ground because Hex was too blatant a ripoff of Magic.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah, the issue is that Yomi Hustle is a game that looks like this:

Compared to his card game. I feel like the aesthetics are so different that I just don't think Yomi as a fighting game term is something you can just claim forever. Like the existence of Magic: The Gathering has not prevented games like Magic Maze or any other number of games with Magic in the title from existing but because someone has Yomi you can't have Yomi Hustle. There's even plenty of other video games with Yomi in the title, but I guess this one is also fighting game adjacent. Like, I get why he's got legal ground to stand on, but it's still horseshit. Whatever, they went ahead and changed the name to Your Only Move Is Hustle so what's done is done

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Some Numbers posted:

Remember that Cryptozooic got sued into the ground because Hex was too blatant a ripoff of Magic.

Sure, all of this is subject to the usual caveats about the legal system that anyone can try to sue you for anything, regardless of merit. And if they have buckets of money and lawyers on staff and you don't, then you are probably screwed regardless of right. If you both have buckets and staff, then your lawyers get to write letters at each other for a while and then you settle. (Cryptozoic and Wizards settled.)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

The other thing to keep in mind is (as far as I understand, I am not a lawyer and I am not your lawyer) copyright is automatic but trademarks must be defended. So, if they have a Yomi trademark, if they don't defend it, they could risk losing it when they do elect to defend it.

But all that being said, a wise person once said:

Glagha posted:

gently caress David Sirlin.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Has anyone bought Blood on the Clocktower recently? I ordered in September, they had a facebook post about the new shipment arriving to them on November 21 and said copies would be in peoples' hands a couple weeks after that, but I haven't even gotten a shipping notice yet.

Glagha posted:

Your Only Move Is Hustle

that's adorable

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Glagha posted:

Compared to his card game. I feel like the aesthetics are so different that I just don't think Yomi as a fighting game term is something you can just claim forever. Like the existence of Magic: The Gathering has not prevented games like Magic Maze or any other number of games with Magic in the title from existing but because someone has Yomi you can't have Yomi Hustle. There's even plenty of other video games with Yomi in the title, but I guess this one is also fighting game adjacent. Like, I get why he's got legal ground to stand on, but it's still horseshit. Whatever, they went ahead and changed the name to Your Only Move Is Hustle so what's done is done

How the game play looks isn't really relevant at all. Trademark is not so granular as to care about different genres of video games. If you have a trademark for a computer game called Siege Master and it's a first-person shooter and you've trademarked the name, I can't sell a computer game called Siege Master even if it's a castle sim.

You can use TESS, the trademark search system of the USPTO, to look up trademarks by word or phrase. I found 19 trademarks (alive and dead) containing the word "Yomi". Here's the first one I clicked, which happened to be (one of) Sirlin's:

As you can see, the trademark covers video games, in several formats, and it references an earlier trademark for board and card games. It does not talk about genre, look & feel, etc. Nobody else can legally sell a computer game called Yomi, in America, while this trademark is live.

As jimbozig says, you may feel this is too broad, or that trademarks are bullshit, and most folks here wouldn't argue that this system works great and is totally fair; but Sirlin has a responsibility to defend this trademark or risk losing it, and this is true of every company that holds a trademark. You could expect any company selling a game with a given brand to aggressively protect that brand as a matter of course, so Sirlin is not special in this regard at all.

If you're making a game to sell, you should always be using a trademark search to find a trade name nobody else has a trademark on, and of course, register your own trademark before you start marketing your game. Doing anything else in the current litigious environment is foolhardy.

e. You said there's other games with Yomi in the title. I think they're also at risk of a trademark claim, and it's basically up to the trademark owner to decide who to go after to defend their mark. Those other game makers might have had their lawyers contact Sirlin Games and establish an agreement that both parties were comfortable with before selling, or they may just be taking a big risk, I don't know.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 14, 2022

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Glagha posted:

I will say that while all of this is true, when someone told me about Yomi Hustle and said it was a fighting game, I did immediately assume it was based on Sirlin's Yomi.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Fantasy dildo makers Bad Dragon are notorious for going after anyone the owner perceives as competition and trademarking common terms so it's also not like this kind of behaviour is limited to any particular set of industries or anything :v:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

Fantasy dildo makers Bad Dragon are notorious for going after anyone the owner perceives as competition and trademarking common terms so it's also not like this kind of behaviour is limited to any particular set of industries or anything :v:

Fantasy dildo? Gotta draft the perfect team of dildos, and then somehow earn points to compare to the other people in your fantasy dildo league.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Some Numbers posted:

The suit against Cryptozooic was based on WotC's patent, not trademark or copyright. As we've previously discussed in this thread, that angle of intellectual property coverage for tabletop games is basically a thing of the past, so this example isn't really relevant to contemporary game makers.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Chainclaw posted:

...and then somehow earn points...

Oh I think we know how they're going to earn points

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can't wait for the stretch goal to upgrade the cardboard to metal

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Muir posted:

The suit against Cryptozooic was based on WotC's patent, not trademark or copyright.

And as I recall, they weren't sued into the ground. They just delayed the release of Hex until the Magic patents expired a year or so later.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Some Numbers posted:

I will say that while all of this is true, when someone told me about Yomi Hustle and said it was a fighting game, I did immediately assume it was based on Sirlin's Yomi.

Really? But, he called it that based off of an existing fightgame term? To me, it's weird that he has any claim whatsoever, since I know the term yomi really well, from fightgames of old... I mean especially this moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri-00IYp9-U from 16 years ago?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There are much goofier and more brazen patent trolls out there. It's a small industry to own a bunch of patents, comb industry announcements for someone unknowingly using one of the common phrases you own, and then ruthlessly go after them. Look at Atari - they aren't ever going to make a game again, but god help you if you start invading any space. I think someone owns the use of the word "edge" with regards to videogames.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mr. Squishy posted:

There are much goofier and more brazen patent trolls out there. It's a small industry to own a bunch of patents, comb industry announcements for someone unknowingly using one of the common phrases you own, and then ruthlessly go after them. Look at Atari - they aren't ever going to make a game again, but god help you if you start invading any space. I think someone owns the use of the word "edge" with regards to videogames.

That's a super interesting one, because, who even the gently caress 'is' Atari? It's not been an actual company for years, and it's just a legal claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

The new Atari anthology that just came out a few weeks ago is super cool and really well done, and does have some new games in it too.