Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Panharmomicon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Vince_McMahon.gif

E:

New Elesh Norn plays well with the Rabbit that makes copies when a creature ETBs on your side that wasn't cast. Is there a way to go infinite in Mono White with the blinking eldrazi?

E:

Preston, the Vanisher

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 14, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Displacer plus an altar plus a creature that makes tokens on etb can get there.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

th3t00t posted:

Can't wait to throw Elesh Mommy into my Sythis deck and 5C Sissay.

In 5C sissay I want to win in this convoluted way.

In play:

Field of the dead
Vesuva copying field of the dead
Thespian Stage copying field of the dead

Elesh Mommy
Yarok, The Desecrated
Purhporos, God of the Forge

Make a single land drop, triggering each fotd 3x for 9x zombies. Each zombie trigges purphoros 3 times, for 27 triggers pinging all opponents for 54 damage.

Kodama of the East Tree, Field of the Dead, 5 other lands and a bounceland, = infinite zombies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Okay, gotta throw out my original plan for a Junji Ito deck (that I barely made any progress on because lol lost my job). Gotta find a new Commander that fits the them in Orzhov now.

Edit: Or maybe Esper at this point.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Toshimo posted:

NEVER FORGET

My favorite dungeon card, The Archive of Obsolete Rules

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
:getin: 12x zombo, 48x Purphoros triggers, 96 damage to all opponents off of one landfall

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Batterypowered7 posted:

Vince_McMahon.gif

E:

New Elesh Norn plays well with the Rabbit that makes copies when a creature ETBs on your side that wasn't cast. Is there a way to go infinite in Mono White with the blinking eldrazi?

E:

Preston, the Vanisher

I don't like how my Elesh Norn deck straight up shuts off if someone clones my commander. Preston looks better to me because of that, but it's close.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

I don't like how my Elesh Norn deck straight up shuts off if someone clones my commander. Preston looks better to me because of that, but it's close.

Pffft, clones. Who plays those?!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Doesn't she shut off opponent's clones because of her one sided static orb ability though?

Edit: no wait, I immediately remembered that choosing a permanent to copy happens pre-etb derp

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Silhouette posted:

Edit: no wait, I immediately remembered that choosing a permanent to copy happens pre-etb derp

Not on all of them, but on enough yeah.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Pffft, clones. Who plays those?!

Is clones as fun as it sounds? That was one of my first deck ideas but it was way too much blue and I went elsewhere and haven't circled back. Trying to get a Sakashima Thousand Faces for my Jorn deck but seems like could be a fun commander in an of itself. I want 6 mono decks longterm. For Blue I'm torrn between a clone theme or a Sun Quen Horsemanship deck.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Is clones as fun as it sounds? That was one of my first deck ideas but it was way too much blue and I went elsewhere and haven't circled back. Trying to get a Sakashima Thousand Faces for my Jorn deck but seems like could be a fun commander in an of itself. I want 6 mono decks longterm. For Blue I'm torrn between a clone theme or a Sun Quen Horsemanship deck.

Orvar for mono-blue imo. Clones are fine if you've got a deck with a lot of good ETB creatures and whose commander has Blue in its color identity, but you don't want to go too heavy on clones. I like clones that do something extra, like Dack's Duplicant (haste and dethrone), Phyrexian Metamorph (can do artifacts), Clever Impersonator, etc.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is that just because you can't reliably count on opponents always having a board since some are cowards afraid to face you on the field of battle? My original idea was all-in on copycat spells and clones.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My Ivy, Gleeful Spellthief deck has a pretty strong clone sub-theme and let me tell you, that poo poo both slaps and is so fuckin fun.

The look on your opponent's face when they cast an aura and you get to say "that will trigger my Ivys, and I will create 4 copies of that aura" is :yum:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Is that just because you can't reliably count on opponents always having a board since some are cowards afraid to face you on the field of battle? My original idea was all-in on copycat spells and clones.

Yeah. Sometimes people just play some real poo poo-rear end creatures, or they're on some spellslinger plan and just don't play many creatures to begin with.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Khanstant posted:

The best clone deck is Gyruda mill. You just cram in all the even CMC U/B clones in there, cast Gyruda and mill everyone out. Then put in a reanimator package for back up.

It's also the most boring clone deck. :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

My Ivy, Gleeful Spellthief deck has a pretty strong clone sub-theme and let me tell you, that poo poo both slaps and is so fuckin fun.

The look on your opponent's face when they cast an aura and you get to say "that will trigger my Ivys, and I will create 4 copies of that aura" is :yum:

haha the main thing that held me back from making an Ivy deck is I saw someone playing her and where we play commander the tables are just too small for how much copy tokens and such they had around. Still looked fun and the risk of buffing your stuff when she's around is good tension

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

haha the main thing that held me back from making an Ivy deck is I saw someone playing her and where we play commander the tables are just too small for how much copy tokens and such they had around. Still looked fun and the risk of buffing your stuff when she's around is good tension

Ivy is a kill on sight commander. I killed her three turns in a row while the other two people just twiddled their thumbs. Then she landed a fourth time, I had run out of interaction, and just immediately took over. Great deck construction, everyone!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
those games are always weird, i get wanting to stuff your deck with cool stuff but idk, blasting something off the board is cool and lets you do the other fun stuff your deck is packed with. Ivy did get targeted that game which I also like because I was just goading and dragoning.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Lol yeah, I haven't figured out the best way yet. I was scribbling a list down on one of my blank tokens which kind of worked?

Balon was the one who got me interested in Ivy in the first place, his two decklists are great

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Has anyone played a Vanilla tribal deck, I was wanting to pair this next weird thing I'm building with something more normal and chill and seems like there are actually a few good specific commander options for vanilla tribal. The better ones still have some non-vanilla synergy creatures but I think I'd wanna go all vanilla besides commander. There is a vanilla commander option though, might as well go all-in. If it's just not amusing I could easily upgrade it to spicy since I'm pretty sure swapping vanilla creatures is the easiest deckbuilding cuts I'll ever have to make.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Has anyone played a Vanilla tribal deck, I was wanting to pair this next weird thing I'm building with something more normal and chill and seems like there are actually a few good specific commander options for vanilla tribal. The better ones still have some non-vanilla synergy creatures but I think I'd wanna go all vanilla besides commander. There is a vanilla commander option though, might as well go all-in. If it's just not amusing I could easily upgrade it to spicy since I'm pretty sure swapping vanilla creatures is the easiest deckbuilding cuts I'll ever have to make.

I was in a match on xMage earlier where someone was playing the GW commander that likes vanilla creatures and it didn't do much.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

AlternateNu posted:

The best clone deck is Gyruda mill. You just cram in all the even CMC U/B clones in there, cast Gyruda and mill everyone out. Then put in a reanimator package for back up.

It's also the most boring clone deck. :v:

Maybe if you get Bruvac out or something but only milling 4 it's far too likely you'll miss a trigger here.

Actually Bruvac won't even work.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

pseudanonymous posted:

Maybe if you get Bruvac out or something but only milling 4 it's far too likely you'll miss a trigger here.

Actually Bruvac won't even work.

There are 17 creatures that fit the bill, and this is why you play a reanimator and flicker package to restart if you fizzle part way through.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Ivy is a kill on sight commander. I killed her three turns in a row while the other two people just twiddled their thumbs. Then she landed a fourth time, I had run out of interaction, and just immediately took over. Great deck construction, everyone!

Yeah Ivy is one of my personal top feared commanders right now. I hate seeing that little sprite come down across the board from me.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm not sure I understand what's so scary about Ivy. She seems neat I guess?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

She's an incredible value engine that lives at the ready in the command zone and at your average low-interaction table can just double up on every aura, mutate, etc you cast.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

People in different pods are playing fundamentally different games with nearly completely different card pools. Even when my pod doesn't play cEDH Ivy would likely "steal" a swords to plowshares. At best maybe she'd end up with something like curiosity or pemmin's aura.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

pseudanonymous posted:

People in different pods are playing fundamentally different games with nearly completely different card pools. Even when my pod doesn't play cEDH Ivy would likely "steal" a swords to plowshares. At best maybe she'd end up with something like curiosity or pemmin's aura.

Just FYI Ivy's ability is optional precisely so you don't have to worry about 'stealing' a removal spell.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I've got an Ivy deck. It's incredibly fun throwing down some boggles, or an Invisible Stalker before Ivy comes down, and ramp into an incredibly early Mythic Proportions that also targets Ivy.

I mean, it doesn't last long. My pod is pretty wrath heavy, but it brings me joy.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Khanstant posted:

I used to joke that my next deck would be Jasmin Boreal with all vanilla creatures. Then they went and printed
Jasmine Boreal of the Seven, and I’m not entirely sure it’s a joke anymore. I think the more powerful build would be to also include Ruxa, Patient Professor and basically just make a deck that goes wide with tokens, but running actual vanilla creatures is the fun route.

Alternatively, using Ruxa as the commander and then basically making Bear Force One would probably work too.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Broke: Ruxa vanilla creature tribal

Woke: Raggadragga mana dork tribal :getin:

Serf
May 5, 2011

generatrix posted:

I used to joke that my next deck would be Jasmin Boreal with all vanilla creatures. Then they went and printed
Jasmine Boreal of the Seven, and I’m not entirely sure it’s a joke anymore. I think the more powerful build would be to also include Ruxa, Patient Professor and basically just make a deck that goes wide with tokens, but running actual vanilla creatures is the fun route.

Alternatively, using Ruxa as the commander and then basically making Bear Force One would probably work too.

I actually have a Jasmine Boreal of the Seven deck that I play on Untap and it crushed a couple games before my friends figured out how strong it is. She makes things unblockable for the most part since no one is running vanilla creatures, and you can put out a ton of power scary fast with Selesnya. I built it as a creature-heavy deck with anthems and as much interaction as I could get, but I've been playing around with making it a tokens deck that goes wide. The only decks that give it trouble by default (before people know to focus on you) are token decks because those generally are vanilla. It does feel good to have the entire table ganged up on you and cast Akroma's Will with Boseiju Who Shelters All mana and just blow out the game.

My Feather deck has proven to be very fun. Get Leering Emblem on her along with Shadowspear and you can really put some huge damage numbers out. Swinging for 26 Commander damage in the air is very worth the effort. You have to be wary of getting greedy on your own turn because you have to hold up mana for the cheap protection spells but she can put in incredible work otherwise. She's also weak to decks that force sacrificing, but I'm putting Robe of the Stars in the deck alongside Eerie Interlude so she can peace out when people try that.

Also, what do people recommend for drawing cards in Orzhov? My Killian deck needs some gas, and I'm not sure what works best. The deck can gain tons of life fast, should I go for Necropotence? Just cut some of the weaker auras for general black card draw instants and sorceries? Right now I have Dark Confidant and Phyrexian Arena along with Black Market Connections and Kor Spiritdancer/Mesa Enchantress.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Silhouette posted:

Raggadragga with Awaken the Woods

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Silhouette posted:

Ruxa was one I was considering before but man this pigman is making me a very enticing offer. It kinda sounds like my Jorn deck, just gross abuses of extra mana. I don't have a grull deck yet either.

i loving hate commander. you cant go a single fuckong day without thinking of a new way to blow through 200 bucks

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Ruxa was one I was considering before but man this pigman is making me a very enticing offer. It kinda sounds like my Jorn deck, just gross abuses of extra mana. I don't have a grull deck yet either.

i loving hate commander. you cant go a single fuckong day without thinking of a new way to blow through 200 bucks

Looking to buy two or three cards every day, eh?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Khanstant posted:

*informercial black and white footage, turning to the camera* If only there was a better way...

*announcer* Well, now there is! It's called Proxies! They're copies of real Magic cards. Anyone can make them at home with a printer, some paper, or even just a marker. It's the industry's secret that they don't want you to know. Despite the company calling themselves Wizards, within the game itself the cardboard is not imbued with anything magical that is lacked by a sufficiently clear duplication. You don't need to spend all that money on the genuine article.

*person thinks then asks camera* But don't Magic cards cost so much because they are potentially worth money?

*announcer* That's the best part! It turns out that game pieces don't actually require scarcity to be useful. It is just a greedy ploy to convince people into spending more money on something with no intrinsic value except that fully controlled by a single corporation with zero morals. Even if this artificial ploy can make something cost an exceptional amounts of money on the secondary market, they've recently proven they will just print their own counterfeit cards to undermine consumer confidence and demolish the value of your investment! Now, I'm not an economancer but that doesn't sound like a good return on my investment.

Buy Proxies! gently caress Wizards right in their revenue statements. Eliminate the gatekeeping artifice and try Proxies today!

The full tape can be found here.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

She gets out of hand very fast if no one checks her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ZpW-_uXP0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I have a really hard time believing Ivy is a big threat if anyone is playing anything resembling a balanced deck - any targeted removal at any creature also kills her for free.