Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Russia's opening move was an attempt to sack Kyiv so I'm not really sure I understand the suggestion that Ukraine shouldn't pursue targets within Russia. Russia already set that bar for escalation on Day 1.

Honestly the amount of strikes that have already occurred within Russia should make this whole thing a solved problem. Russia has responded to conventional strikes on infrastructure within their actual borders with... increased conventional strikes against Ukrainian infrastructure and random civilian targets. Which is literally more of the same of what they were doing from the very start of the conflict. Russia didn't call it a red line when Ukraine flew helicopters into Russia and blew up an oil tank farm in Belgorod, despite that literally being sending hostile soldiers into Russia. Ever since then the argument to not give Ukraine longer-range strike capability has felt like an excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I’m glad I never did Korea, cause while the country seems very cool, so many stories out of there is that everyone is just biding their time to escape so it’s the next person’s problem. Or enjoying levels of lawlessness permitted by such an environment.

My low bar for dealing with people was 82d infantry guys. On a mission that required using computers and comms well, knowing how aircraft work, and not being complacent and dumb, all of which they absolutely refused to do.

E: 82d was replaced by National Guard Field Artillery, who were a godsend by comparison.

I was always pretty surprised at how bad at life a lot of the regular army units were, given how much poo poo they talked on the reserve component.

1-41 infantry were providing uplift for the SOF on our FOB, and I swear to God the SF unit must have sprayed something in those baseball caps as a prank. They had just built themselves a new gym and wanted to get power to it. The base didn't have a DPW, and since we were the local engineering unit, I became the de-factor Director of Public Works. Being that we had no prime power folks on the FOB, and the contractors were only supposed to maintain what was already in place, I told them they could either provide their own generator, or go without.

So their dumb motherfucker PSG stole one of the local national contractor's backhoes and decided to dig himself a trench from the SF compound to their gym. Because he didn't have a permit, and thus we didn't do a utility survey, he inevitably hit one of the high voltage lines connecting to the god damned CSH (e: for non US-mil folks - Combat Support Hospital - the place where they MEDEVACed people who wouldn't survive the flight back to the real hospital). The SGM serving in the mayor's cell had a field day with that guy.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 14, 2022

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

mlmp08 posted:

I’m glad I never did Korea, cause while the country seems very cool, so many stories out of there is that everyone is just biding their time to escape so it’s the next person’s problem. Or enjoying levels of lawlessness permitted by such an environment.

Passing the buck was the near literal law of the land. Also to the second point, I showed up at my next unit with multiple toughboxes full of five finger discounted poo poo.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
4/3 ADA was across the street from us and they actually had a small contingent of my MOS (31F). The stupidity over there was very much a there-but-for-the-grace-of-God situation.

If they were the brainy side of combat arms god help us

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Orthanc6 posted:

Russia didn't call it a red line when Ukraine flew helicopters into Russia and blew up an oil tank farm in Belgorod, despite that literally being sending hostile soldiers into Russia. Ever since then the argument to not give Ukraine longer-range strike capability has felt like an excuse.

I don't quite agree that this was the point, but once Russia started using Iranian drones to hit civilian infrastructure, the "no long-range weapons" line stopped holding water to me.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
When I was supporting ARC and ABOLC and driving a bunch of LTs around, I constantly bagged the natty guard peeps to drive around.

Even if they weren't as practiced as RA in army poo poo, they, you know, had real loving lives and brains in their heads and stories and personalities and could figure anything out that they didn't know.

And a complete lack of motoboners was also a huge benefit.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Kazinsal posted:

with an underlying reality of "decentralized for the implementation of cyber-feudalism".

As opposed to Twitter's underlying implementation of cyber feudalism?

If anything, the whole Musk / Twitter affair shows that holding some faith in a large corporate structure to not adopt some dumb myopic policy is completely pointless when that structure can easily be bought by people who are literally as stupid as any over zealous weirdo mod except they have cash.

At least with Mastodon when you come across some cyber feudal bullshit you can easily run away without having to completely dump the entire platform.

When Twitter does the same, you're hosed because of its monopoly.

Only difference here is scale and impact of stupid morons

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
paraphrasing someone wiser than me 'you will never be free of idiots. idiots are pervasive and eternal'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Herstory Begins Now posted:

paraphrasing someone wiser than me 'you will never be free of idiots. idiots are pervasive and eternal'

This is true, but if there's one thing for sure, when the idiots are in charge and encouraging the idiots to become more idiotic, the solution is not to continue to use their products and benefit them.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I was in 82nd, and our commo guys had the intelligence level of moldy meatloaf. I have never ever seen dumber individuals. They made us 11Bs look like goddamn law-abiding geniuses.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Now for the bad national guard story: A NG unit showed up in Iraq and immediately started wearing mixes of civilian clothes with their uniforms (like jerseys and cloth ski masks and flip flops and such, while on duty), would be caught walking around without a weapon, unnecessary arguments with the contractor food/laundry staff. When corrected, one of the national guard LTs went straight for calling the black NCO correcting him “boy,” and during an attack they straight up abandoned their (non-combat) building and essentially hid the rest of the day.

I was very glad to not have to work with them, as they had a different mission set. Just dogshit.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I was with 35th ADA in Korea for a year, trust me when I say despite whatever might be on paper, the Patriot crews are near uniformly loving morons. They'd pick the outliers to sit in the vans with the "pointy end" systems, warrants were untouchable savants, intel and comms dudes on the spectrum as per usual, but the bulk of the actual manpower was breathtakingly underwhelming.

Edit: My next frame of reference being engineers, so... yeah.

You’re coming pretty close to some hateful language in here. Gentle reminder that there’s a way to describe people as being idiots without falling into the ableist language pit we’re trying hard to climb out of.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
What the gently caress

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/15/poland-police-chief-jaroslaw-szymczyk-wounded-when-gift-from-ukraine-explodes

lol:
“The Polish side has asked the Ukrainian side to provide an explanation,” the ministry said.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Looking up the police chief, seems he's been on the road internationally recently, including trips to Latvia and Israel.

Definitely curious as to why he was targeted and by whom.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

McNally posted:

You’re coming pretty close to some hateful language in here. Gentle reminder that there’s a way to describe people as being idiots without falling into the ableist language pit we’re trying hard to climb out of.

Wait... what? Where exactly is the problem, calling them morons, or "breathtakingly underwhelming"? I'm actually confused. Being a dumb motherfucker isn't a disability as far as I know, and while I freely admit to being hateful of those stupid fucks I'm not seeing where I'm referring to anyone with an actual disability in a pejorative way.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Savant maybe? I'm kinda struggling too

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's definitely "uniformed"

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Savant maybe? I'm kinda struggling too

Maybe? The 14 series warrants were like actual savants, not the "Rainman" kind I guess that might be interpreted as. Fuckers were the only ones that knew how the radars and fire control systems actually worked and were no poo poo SMEs on every single piece of those systems. Practically had their own little untouchable fiefdoms given that none of the batteries would be able to do poo poo without their wizardry.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wait... what? Where exactly is the problem, calling them morons, or "breathtakingly underwhelming"? I'm actually confused. Being a dumb motherfucker isn't a disability as far as I know, and while I freely admit to being hateful of those stupid fucks I'm not seeing where I'm referring to anyone with an actual disability in a pejorative way.

Gonna guess it's the reference to the spectrum.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Looking up the police chief, seems he's been on the road internationally recently, including trips to Latvia and Israel.

Definitely curious as to why he was targeted and by whom.

Brace yourself

Mokotow posted:

The head of the Polish police force blew himself up with a rocket launcher.

You read that right.

Reports started emerging yesterday evening that an explosion occurred earlier in the day in the central police hq in Warsaw, in a room adjacent to the commander’s office. A rocket propelled grenade went off, striking and damaging the ceiling. An unnamed person was reported wounded, hinting at security personnel.

As the day went on, an unusual info blackout continued, but it became clear that the head of police himself was involved and the “adjecent room” was in fact a part of his office. Confirmation came this evening that an RPG brought as a gift from Ukraine by the general during his recent visit there went off. There’s no information if someone was handling the weapon at the time of the accident (lol, of course he was handling it and showing off to idiot friends). The general is in hospital and it’s not reported what state he’s in.

The whole thing raises many questions, including how the general could have legally brought the weapon over the border and how live explosives ended up getting carried around the police hq building.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ah, it's like when I pulled the pin on a grenade at my buddy's house before checking to see if it had actually been safed.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Savant and spectrum comments just getting casually tossed around as a "well y'know those guys" quip actually kinda loving blows.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Like I'm guilty of making regressive and ignorant comments but I know now how stigma can prevent treatment and proper care for a lot of conditions, and am trying to work against that poo poo and so should you as cool and good fellow brokebrains

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

e:^ Are you implying people with autism spectrum disorder are broken? This isn't trolling; I'd genuinely dispute that people with autism are broken.

Here's the first definition of savant per OED:

"a very learned or talented person, especially one distinguished in a particular field of science or the arts."

This could accurately describe most warrants, and is the way I interpreted it from context in that sentence.

psydude fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 15, 2022

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

McNally posted:

…temporarily, anyway. Any language used to describe people as being idiots in Generation N has a high probability of being considered ableist in Generation N+1. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphemism#Euphemism_treadmill

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I thought you were only allowed to post on this website if you had at least one foot in the spectrum

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I have two feet in the spectrum & didn't see anything about that post that was close to offensive for me. But that's just me, I'm lovely at reading social cues

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I have two feet in the spectrum & didn't see anything about that post that was close to offensive for me. But that's just me, I'm lovely at reading social cues

I find that I see fewer and fewer of those nowadays. :smith:

I am still waiting on this thing to turn into a full on Spanish Civil War where everyone is testing their new weapons.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

psydude posted:

e:^ Are you implying people with autism spectrum disorder are broken? This isn't trolling; I'd genuinely dispute that people with autism are broken.

Here's the first definition of savant per OED:

"a very learned or talented person, especially one distinguished in a particular field of science or the arts."

This could accurately describe most warrants, and is the way I interpreted it from context in that sentence.

Generally, and I am not saying it's the case here, people who use the term "on the spectrum" often *do* imply people with autism spectrum disorder are broken.

Maybe I was being overcautious, but I did get a report on the post.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
What if you genuinely think that someone is on the spectrum?

edit:^^^ ah got it ^^^ I assume the context around how it's used will be controlling

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

McNally posted:

Generally, and I am not saying it's the case here, people who use the term "on the spectrum" often *do* imply people with autism spectrum disorder are broken.

So let me qualify the statement, "intel and comms dudes on the spectrum as per usual."

The context given was a throwaway comment further highlighting how unbearably loving dumb 14Ts were and probably are, in contrast to the rest of the support personnel. Who generally weren't loving morons, at least none egregiously so. In addition to that, literally every single comms or intel tocroach I personally interacted with read like a checklist for a "your kid's not weird, they're just different" parenting book. I don't and didn't give a poo poo because most of them, while incredibly awkward turbonerds, still had their one little area that they knew and you could trust to not gently caress up. Hell, I liked them more than most of the people on base since the uniform lack of "game" meant I wasn't shoving a q-tip up their dick once a month.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I'm not a regular here, but I've seen this tension between "autistic" as a lazy insult and "autistic" as a neutral descriptor play out on other SA forums. The former is a more "traditional" sense in communities like this one, but the latter is rapidly gaining traction, and I think that the change is happening so quickly that it isn't always clear how the social norm of "don't be a dick to neurodivergent folks" should be applied. (To be clear, I don't think that this is bad - I read it as a sign of rapid social improvement.)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

McNally posted:

I think clarification/explanation is pretty helpful in these things since I know I'm not the only one that doesn't always keep up with changing norms. The discussions I've seen here have helped change my attitude and make adjustments in how I use language.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

14Ts just gotta load the missiles and do a 20 minute crew drill; gotta get ‘em from somewhere. One ever show you a “missile kick?”

It’s when you run at a guy who is wearing full plates and you flying double leg kick them in the chest. 14E/H try to watch from a safe distance.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

So let me qualify the statement, "intel and comms dudes on the spectrum as per usual."

The context given was a throwaway comment further highlighting how unbearably loving dumb 14Ts were and probably are, in contrast to the rest of the support personnel. Who generally weren't loving morons, at least none egregiously so. In addition to that, literally every single comms or intel tocroach I personally interacted with read like a checklist for a "your kid's not weird, they're just different" parenting book. I don't and didn't give a poo poo because most of them, while incredibly awkward turbonerds, still had their one little area that they knew and you could trust to not gently caress up. Hell, I liked them more than most of the people on base since the uniform lack of "game" meant I wasn't shoving a q-tip up their dick once a month.

i'm very much on the spectrum and my reaction to your post was just to nod and go "yup that tracks lol"

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

lightpole posted:

I think clarification/explanation is pretty helpful in these things since I know I'm not the only one that doesn't always keep up with changing norms. The discussions I've seen here have helped change my attitude and make adjustments in how I use language.

Same with me. I try to catch myself, but it can be difficult when no one else is aware of the new "norm".

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

shoving a q-tip up their dick once a month.

:whatup:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Brace yourself

Mokotow posted:

The head of the Polish police force blew himself up with a rocket launcher.

You read that right.

Reports started emerging yesterday evening that an explosion occurred earlier in the day in the central police hq in Warsaw, in a room adjacent to the commander’s office. A rocket propelled grenade went off, striking and damaging the ceiling. An unnamed person was reported wounded, hinting at security personnel.

As the day went on, an unusual info blackout continued, but it became clear that the head of police himself was involved and the “adjecent room” was in fact a part of his office. Confirmation came this evening that an RPG brought as a gift from Ukraine by the general during his recent visit there went off. There’s no information if someone was handling the weapon at the time of the accident (lol, of course he was handling it and showing off to idiot friends). The general is in hospital and it’s not reported what state he’s in.

The whole thing raises many questions, including how the general could have legally brought the weapon over the border and how live explosives ended up getting carried around the police hq building.

I guess that projectile didn't arm but the indoors backblast did the most harm. :wtchris:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Fragrag posted:

I guess that projectile didn't arm but the indoors backblast did the most harm. :wtchris:

WHAT, I CANT HEAR YOU, SPEAK UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
didn't the Polish make an RPG that was literally just a rocket you could fire by hand