Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not sure if there's a Canadian Telecom thread this would be more appropriate, but do ISPs and subsidiaries like TekSavvy throttle bandwidth for late/failed bill payments?

I've been more than a bit late on a bill, and just paid most of it this morning. Ever since mid-late afternoon, it's been inordinately slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mister Speaker posted:

Not sure if there's a Canadian Telecom thread this would be more appropriate, but do ISPs and subsidiaries like TekSavvy throttle bandwidth for late/failed bill payments?

I've been more than a bit late on a bill, and just paid most of it this morning. Ever since mid-late afternoon, it's been inordinately slow.

No, that just happens sometimes. I'm late paying every single month (well into the next month) because I can't be arsed to set my account to auto deposit. i haven't noticed any change in performance.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

artsy fartsy posted:

Pretend I have a cup of liquid with a pH of 4, and add something (let's say soda ash) to raise it exactly to 5. Now say I have another cup of liquid with a pH of 7. If I add the exact same amount of soda ash, will it raise it exactly to 8, or will it need more/less soda ash?

The numbers themselves don't matter.

YggiDee posted:

PH is a logarithmic scale, so if I understand it correctly something with PH of 5 is ten times more acidic than PH 6, which is ten times more acidic as PH 7, and so on.

Wikipedia posted:

pH is defined as the decimal logarithm of the reciprocal of the hydrogen ion activity, aH+, in a solution.[4]

For example, for a solution with a hydrogen ion activity of 5×10−6 (at that level, this is essentially the number of moles of hydrogen ions per litre of solution) the argument of the logarithm is 1/(5×10−6) = 2×105; thus such a solution has a pH of log10(2×105) = 5.3

The short answer is no, it won't, because what you get from adding stuff to an aqueous solution depends very strongly on what's in it (and the temperature, and the amount you've added, and....) and I'd be extremely suprised if you can create two samples of the same solution that have phs 4 and 7 under the same conditions - pure water is ph 7.5 near freezing and 6.5 near boiling, but those are most definitely not the same conditions..... and yes, placing one sample in a beam of ionizing radiation does count as a different condition.

It's quite possible, depending on the solutions, that adding the same amount of soda ash to the 2nd would do nothing to the pH - see the the wiki article on buffer solutions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_solution - or it might raise the pH by a larger amount than 1. Chemistry is hard, but on the bright side if it were simple enough that we could predict it we probably wouldn't be sapient so it's impossible to say if that's bad or not.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Where can I get high-quality, thick, heavy, wrapping paper in larger rolls? I really hate this thin stuff that rips if you look at it wrong on tiny rolls that let you wrap 2 thing per roll.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Where can I get high-quality, thick, heavy, wrapping paper in larger rolls? I really hate this thin stuff that rips if you look at it wrong on tiny rolls that let you wrap 2 thing per roll.
Costco.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Is there anything nefarious about the app " TooGoodToGo"? It sounds awesome but I don't really understand how an app would make money from it, and I've become accustomed to seemingly "neat" apps being a shell for horrific abuse and/or unsavory surveillance.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

DildenAnders posted:

Is there anything nefarious about the app " TooGoodToGo"? It sounds awesome but I don't really understand how an app would make money from it, and I've become accustomed to seemingly "neat" apps being a shell for horrific abuse and/or unsavory surveillance.

Nothing in my area uses it so I can't dig in deeper, but you pay for the food you pick up, right? If I had to guess at business model, they just take a small chunk of that and also sell your info to local and chain businesses for targeting their ads.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

DildenAnders posted:

I've been using it sporadically for a few years and haven't noticed anything. This page says they charge $1.79 per order and $89 per year to the restaurant, estimating about $163 million in revenue based on TGTG's claim of 250,000 meals saved per year. VC is getting involved now so things could change.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

I think their business model is basically selling stuff that stores would throw out, which means infinite profit margins for the stores, which in turn means that TooGoodToGo can charge a decent percentage of the sale without the store caring too much.
By which I mean that they don't need to be shady, but it's still an app based company so I'm not ruling it out.

Also I've used it a few times a few years back, and it was okay, except you had to pick up at way more specific times than YourLocal, which was the competitor at the time in Copenhagen.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
My dad gets spam calls from people trying to buy his house, and they won't actually say who they are. How is this scam supposed to work?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Instagram question:

In my desktop browser on Instagram I can see that a friend posted a Story, but when I click on it to view it disappears. Nobody else's stories are doing this, they load fine. If I try to go to the app on my phone and view this friend's page, it doesn't even show that they've posted a new story.

Does this indicate that I'm blocked from viewing this particular story, or is it more likely to be a glitch?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

NotNut posted:

My dad gets spam calls from people trying to buy his house, and they won't actually say who they are. How is this scam supposed to work?

Heard a podcast about this today!

https://pca.st/episode/840d8118-8aea-428c-aa46-b529d198998c

Scammy way to do business, but maybe not a scam? Who knows, but it seems like the big companies aren’t revealed until they think you’re legit.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

When I'm cooking, why do I have to saute the onions first? No matter what I'm adding after the onions and no matter how long they cook thereafter the onions simply must saute by themselves first.

Why?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Because onions usually take much longer to cook properly than the other things you're putting in the pan.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I got a new credit card in the mail, put it in my wallet and forgot about it. When I finally peeled off the sticker, because it was covering the chip, it was all sticky and the chip wouldn't read.

What can I clean it with that won't gently caress up the chip?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ironhead posted:

I got a new credit card in the mail, put it in my wallet and forgot about it. When I finally peeled off the sticker, because it was covering the chip, it was all sticky and the chip wouldn't read.

Rubbing alcohol

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

alnilam posted:

Rubbing alcohol

That was my first thought but I just didn't want to mess up the chip, thanks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Use cotton swabs and several of them to get all the residue and not keep spreading it.

The higher the alcohol concentration, the better.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the chip on a credit card is not actually powered so cleaning it with plain ol water is fine too as long as you dry it off before you use it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Water won’t hurt it but also will not do much to the adhesive.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

Instagram question:

In my desktop browser on Instagram I can see that a friend posted a Story, but when I click on it to view it disappears. Nobody else's stories are doing this, they load fine. If I try to go to the app on my phone and view this friend's page, it doesn't even show that they've posted a new story.

Does this indicate that I'm blocked from viewing this particular story, or is it more likely to be a glitch?

This is only a guess, but how close of a friend are you with them? There is an option to only share stories with a "Close Friends" list. So maybe this doesn't correctly work on the desktop app (which isn't surprising) and shows you that they have a story, but then blocks you from seeing it as you aren't on the list.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

When I'm cooking, why do I have to saute the onions first? No matter what I'm adding after the onions and no matter how long they cook thereafter the onions simply must saute by themselves first.

Why?

You already got an answer, but I’ve noticed the amount of other ingredients makes a big difference as well.

If the pot or pan is crowded with too many other veggies or there’s a layer of sauce or whatevs, then the onions don’t really sauté so much as they get boiled. Which gives them a weird consistency. I’m probably missing some culinary science to truly understand what’s going on there but most ingredients sauté differently alone rather than together.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Has there ever been a collection of country and/or state and/or city locations of goons?

(for context, included for conversational or anecdotal purposes?)

I was in a thread about to talk about how my Netflix account has recently hacked and how everything is now set to Hindi and there's all kinds of movies and cartoons being used on my account while a secondary account was created that has never been used and was called Raj. It got me thinking that while I think this is an amusing anecdote in a way, it also is really Western(?)-centric in that the assumption of course is that I am not from India, but I did not include those details. I figure out of the however many goons there are (207,354 registered?) there must be some from India. So I figured at some point it isn't terribly unlikely that at some point in these forums' 22+ years such data was collected. I'm mostly just curious, I guess, to see just how many Goons aren't in the US.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There's the LAN subforum or D&D that give some indication via their regional threads. It seems there's quite a few Scandinavian and British goons. There probably isn't a critical mass of people from less represented countries to sustain threads.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

McCracAttack posted:

Why?

Because onions taste and smell incredible when they are browned

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Has vanity sizing come to shoes and boots?

For the past few months, more than ever before, I've been seeing a lot of 'order a size smaller' or 'order two sizes smaller than you're used to' things on retailers' websites, with reviews remarking that even that wasn't enough and they should have ordered shoes that are even smaller.

I've definitely noticed it too with shoes that I've ordered myself.

If vanity sizing for shoes is a thing now, what's the logic? Do dudes (I'm a man, so I've only looked at listings for men's shoes) with size 45(EU)/11(US) really need to be told they're really a 43/10? Are big guys really sensitive about that?

It's really messy for guys like me (size 41, I blame that on growing tall relatively late in puberty) because a lot of brands have less availability in the smallest sizes

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

Why?

Caramelization which only really occurs well when you brown them alone with a fat like butter or olive oil (or without but then they stick to the pan)

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Proper carmelization takes a really long time too, and nothing else you're cooking needs to be done the same way onions are. Even if you're not bothering to carmelize them entirely properly there's generally nothing else that needs to be cooked as long.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EricBauman posted:

Has vanity sizing come to shoes and boots?

For the past few months, more than ever before, I've been seeing a lot of 'order a size smaller' or 'order two sizes smaller than you're used to' things on retailers' websites, with reviews remarking that even that wasn't enough and they should have ordered shoes that are even smaller.

I've definitely noticed it too with shoes that I've ordered myself.

If vanity sizing for shoes is a thing now, what's the logic? Do dudes (I'm a man, so I've only looked at listings for men's shoes) with size 45(EU)/11(US) really need to be told they're really a 43/10? Are big guys really sensitive about that?

It's really messy for guys like me (size 41, I blame that on growing tall relatively late in puberty) because a lot of brands have less availability in the smallest sizes
I think some manufacturers just have weird sizes for whatever historical reasons, probably not to make anyone feel better. My Red Wing boots seem to be at least half a size bigger that Wolverine or most other shoes for example.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Agreed, in 95% of recipes you're not trying to fully caramelize the onions by cooking them first.

You're either sautéing the onions if the recipe asks for browning, or sweating the onions if it asks you to get them translucent with no browning. The browning produced by sautéing is the maillard reaction, which adds distinct flavor and color to the final dish. Sweating releases much of the water stored in the onion's cells and cooks the onion in its own juices which mellows the onion flavor and makes them delicious, but doesn't produce a maillard reaction, so the flavor is still basically just "onion."

So sautéing changes the onion flavor while sweating simply brings out the existing flavor.

Normally you sauté or sweat your aromatics first when cooking (eg. onions, carrots, celery, garlic, peppers), so as to provide a flavorful base for your dish. You can't sauté or sweat once you add cooking liquid or a whole bunch of meat or much of anything else besides fat and aromatics to the pot, which is another reason why it's performed first.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I think some manufacturers just have weird sizes for whatever historical reasons, probably not to make anyone feel better. My Red Wing boots seem to be at least half a size bigger that Wolverine or most other shoes for example.

Part of it is also that shoes should have (at least) one more measurement besides size, which is the width/height. I think shoe makers actually designate it by letters, so if you have a narrow foot, you need an A, and a wide foot is a G. Various brands lean towards specific "letters", and a G is gonna feel (and technically be) bigger than an A, even if they are the same size.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

kedo posted:

Agreed, in 95% of recipes you're not trying to fully caramelize the onions by cooking them first.

You're either sautéing the onions if the recipe asks for browning, or sweating the onions if it asks you to get them translucent with no browning. The browning produced by sautéing is the maillard reaction, which adds distinct flavor and color to the final dish. Sweating releases much of the water stored in the onion's cells and cooks the onion in its own juices which mellows the onion flavor and makes them delicious, but doesn't produce a maillard reaction, so the flavor is still basically just "onion."

So sautéing changes the onion flavor while sweating simply brings out the existing flavor.

Normally you sauté or sweat your aromatics first when cooking (eg. onions, carrots, celery, garlic, peppers), so as to provide a flavorful base for your dish. You can't sauté or sweat once you add cooking liquid or a whole bunch of meat or much of anything else besides fat and aromatics to the pot, which is another reason why it's performed first.

I didn't know all of that!

I do want to say one thing though - you will fry out the flavor of your garlic and leave it bitter if you go over 30-60s of direct heat to garlic so it should be the last aromatic you add. Just before the meat/liquid.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I once saw a cool gif explaining the vertigo dolly zoom effect, where it was side by side, the one on one side had no zoom but instead had a box showing the frame when you did zoom, the other one was the dolly zoom effect itself from the same shot. Google fu is falling me, anyone know it?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Helios Grime posted:

This is only a guess, but how close of a friend are you with them? There is an option to only share stories with a "Close Friends" list. So maybe this doesn't correctly work on the desktop app (which isn't surprising) and shows you that they have a story, but then blocks you from seeing it as you aren't on the list.

It might be this; I'm aware of the 'close friends' filter. But I've never seen this glitch before. It's definitely not helping my anxiety, hahaha. Thanks though!

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

BonHair posted:

Part of it is also that shoes should have (at least) one more measurement besides size, which is the width/height. I think shoe makers actually designate it by letters, so if you have a narrow foot, you need an A, and a wide foot is a G. Various brands lean towards specific "letters", and a G is gonna feel (and technically be) bigger than an A, even if they are the same size.

Sadly, this is an innovation that hasn't reached Europe yet. We just put 'this is a bit wide' in the description on a website and deal with the fact that 70% of sold boots get sent back because they're not nearly wide enough or far too wide

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

EricBauman posted:

Sadly, this is an innovation that hasn't reached Europe yet. We just put 'this is a bit wide' in the description on a website and deal with the fact that 70% of sold boots get sent back because they're not nearly wide enough or far too wide

Nah, it's pretty old poo poo, the Danish word is "læst". It's just never advertised for some stupid reason, but if you go to an actual good shoeshop and ask, it's not unlikely they will be able to tell you.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

BonHair posted:

Nah, it's pretty old poo poo, the Danish word is "læst". It's just never advertised for some stupid reason, but if you go to an actual good shoeshop and ask, it's not unlikely they will be able to tell you.

Yeah, but it's not usually standardized in any kind of scale. It's mostly 'this shoe is made on the bob last, which is wider than the rick last' which says something, but not enough

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Ironhead posted:

Often I'll use little hunks of packing tape to remove sticky adhesives from plastic surfaces -- burnish the tape down on the gunk, then peel it off and usually a bunch of adhesive will stay stuck on the tape. Rotate to a fresh part of the packing tape and burnish and pull it off, etc. Sometimes alcohol will just soften the adhesive so that it smears around rather than being wiped cleanly off, so the tape method works better for me...

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Do colder temperatures affect phone batteries? I was worried my phone was dying but it might just be that it's cold AF out.

Edit: I've always heard about overheating problems but it never really occured to me that the reverse would be true.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I'm pretty sure cold negatively affects modern batteries in general yeah.