Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mr E posted:

I know the back buttons work in switch mode with gyro at least on a switch and the CEMU emulator on desktop, so that would be the most likely mode to get all the features except analog triggers working, but I don't know if that works on steam games or not. As far as I'm aware the xinput mode doesn't have gyro working, so it might be that you need to pair it in multiple modes.

this sounds like a big pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

why don't these standards let us use all controller features

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

tater_salad posted:

this sounds like a big pain in the rear end.

Yeah it does, but I can't think of many non-emulated games that I'd actually be using gyro on with my deck docked. I think it all has to do with xinput not really supporting gyro in general more than anything, but it would be nice to at least be able to swap to analog triggers in switch mode since otherwise it works fine in that mode on steam.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Analog sticks should work in all modes, but not analog triggers (is that what you meant?). Back buttons should also work in all modes, but you have to assign them in the Ultimate Software--they don't get passed through in any capacity.

Switch mode should have the most support: gyro, rumble, but not analog triggers, while Xinput mode will give you analog triggers but not gyro (not sure about rumble).

Most games should be fine with one or the other. The only instance where I wanted gyro and analog triggers together was exactly one scene in the Outer Wilds, and so I just played that part handheld.

I don't usually use different modes for the same game, but I do with the Dolphin emulator. I use Xinput mode for GameCube due to the analog triggers, and Switch mode for Wii games so I can use gyro to control the Wii pointer.

Do you not get Analog Triggers and gyro together in the Playstation/Android/Direct Input mode?

And on a similar topic does anyone use an Xbox Elite Controller 2 on Steam Deck? Are the paddles configurable in Steam Input like they are for the regular Steam Deck paddles, and do the paddles continue to work wirelessly? I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information, and like it should work that way on a Windows PC in Steam, but the Linux drivers maybe don't support that yet, or they only do when using wired USB.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah actually the android or directinput mode might work fine, I used a PS4 controller with directinput for CEMU for a while and it worked well with gyro and such.

ottergauze
Dec 11, 2022

I’m not sure what’s going on here but often times when i boot up ETS2 I’m unable to give any inputs, such as button presses or moving the mouse until *after* I coldboot my Deck.

This persists through game restarts and happens regardless of if I’m running through proton or not. I had to plug in an external mouse when the game got into this state to realise it doesn’t even recognise a gamepad for some reason.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ottergauze posted:

I’m not sure what’s going on here but often times when i boot up ETS2 I’m unable to give any inputs, such as button presses or moving the mouse until *after* I coldboot my Deck.

This persists through game restarts and happens regardless of if I’m running through proton or not. I had to plug in an external mouse when the game got into this state to realise it doesn’t even recognise a gamepad for some reason.

I googled this for you and it looks like your truck might have a bad alternator.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

have your steam deck towed to a mechanic

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How does https://www.makeship.com/ not have a Steam deck mascot plushie yet?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I finally found my USB C to HDMI adapter dongle thing.

So uh how bad is it for the USB port to have that thing just sorta hanging off the back of the deck while I play? I ordered a 90 degree USB adapter just in case, but I'm curious.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I connect my USB stick for transferring files using an Apple USB-C to USB-A dongle and haven't had any issues doing that nearly 2-3 times a week.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Has anyone who's played Horizon: Zero Dawn on this thing figured out how to make the in game text not unreadably pixelated?

The menus look fine so it's not an eyeballs thing.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Analog sticks should work in all modes, but not analog triggers (is that what you meant?). Back buttons should also work in all modes, but you have to assign them in the Ultimate Software--they don't get passed through in any capacity.

Switch mode should have the most support: gyro, rumble, but not analog triggers, while Xinput mode will give you analog triggers but not gyro (not sure about rumble).

Most games should be fine with one or the other. The only instance where I wanted gyro and analog triggers together was exactly one scene in the Outer Wilds, and so I just played that part handheld.

I don't usually use different modes for the same game, but I do with the Dolphin emulator. I use Xinput mode for GameCube due to the analog triggers, and Switch mode for Wii games so I can use gyro to control the Wii pointer.

Do you have the issue where you have to forget and repair the controller every time you want to use it in Switch mode? I am, and I see a few other reports of the issue.

I think I’ve just got to consider the gyro unavailable when using the Pro2 with the Deck. X-mode is the only way to reconnect cleanly.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Hammer Bro. posted:

Has anyone who's played Horizon: Zero Dawn on this thing figured out how to make the in game text not unreadably pixelated?

The menus look fine so it's not an eyeballs thing.

I've had this issue on a number of games, it's always been due to the Deck's half rate shading setting (I think that's what it's called). You can disable it from somewhere in the QAM

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah, that ended up being it.

Though the process of deleting my save, resetting things, rebooting and updating, and then figuring out how to get to the Quick Access Menu (Steam + A) from the couch was an involved one.

Mostly because two cats decided to get comfortable on me so I had to do the whole thing with a third-party controller instead of the nearby mouse+keyboard.

Incidentally, like 50% of the time I switch to Desktop mode and the Steam-related functions (keyboard, Steam itself) don't work unless I reboot.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

It's weird that two steam decks with identical hardware (including fans) can behave so differently. My girlfriend's one is noisy as hell and frequently puts the fan on full blast. Mine is super quiet. Same settings and everything.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Thirsty Dog posted:

It's weird that two steam decks with identical hardware (including fans) can behave so differently. My girlfriend's one is noisy as hell and frequently puts the fan on full blast. Mine is super quiet. Same settings and everything.

That just means your gf's hot af

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

Construction quality on consoles, unfortunately. Varies pretty wildly depending on the product.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Vic posted:

That just means your gf's hot af

Genuinely a human radiator

So there's no point me getting worried and re-applying thermal paste (to the CPU, not the gf) or anything?

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015

Thirsty Dog posted:

So there's no point me getting worried and re-applying thermal paste (to the CPU, not the gf) or anything?

There is a known bug that makes the fan go at max speed https://reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/yc4md2/fix_for_unexpected_7300rpm_fan_bursts_in_latest/

I believe this is currently applied in the experimental and possibly beta branch, but not yet in stable.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

lexxyth posted:

There is a known bug that makes the fan go at max speed https://reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/yc4md2/fix_for_unexpected_7300rpm_fan_bursts_in_latest/

I believe this is currently applied in the experimental and possibly beta branch, but not yet in stable.

Good find! Yeah, that seems to be it. I'll try the preview build, thanks.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Cross posting from the Doom WADS thread, but has anyone installed GZDoom etc on Steam Deck, and playing WAD's on Deck?

Is there a dummy's guide on how to do it? I'm a complete Linux noob and up to now have done almost nothing with my Deck outside of just playing Steam games on it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

loving Moron posted:

Okay this might be a controversial statement but here goes:

The Deck is amazing and so are all of you itt.

Username/post combo checks out

Vichan posted:

I do have COVID, that was kind of the joke. I suck at this. :(

I also got the joke, I was being facetious about the RMA thing for anyone who was uncertain.

Thirsty Dog posted:

If you'd like me to apply my thermal paste (to the gf ofc) I'd be happy to help. :pervert: :wiggle:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

:chanpop:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cross posted from the Valheim thread, figured I might get a different, or maybe more detailed, answer here:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was initially so happy that our new base ran close to 60fps, but then we built a big stone hall, and... Yeah, I'm down to 30 at best, 15 at worst.

I'm using my Steam deck; are there any performance tips anyone can give me?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Baxate posted:

Do you not get Analog Triggers and gyro together in the Playstation/Android/Direct Input mode?
The SN30 Pro 2 in "D" mode acts as a generic Bluetooth HID gamepad with six axes (d-pad and both sticks) and 12 buttons, with the triggers acting as buttons. No gyro. So it's strictly the worst of all modes, but still convenient since it's recognized by Linux without needing an out-of-tree driver as the other modes require--in case you want to use it on a desktop or RPi or something.

eddiewalker posted:

Do you have the issue where you have to forget and repair the controller every time you want to use it in Switch mode?
No. Although I have that problem with my Pro+ on my actual Switch.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm noticing my sticks having more friction on the deck than any controller I've ever used. I know there's hall effect replacements. Am I better off just getting those rubber band things that go on the sticks to stop the friction or is there a recommended stick replacement? If there is, is there also a quieter fan replacement since I'll be inside the deck anyway, and does all of this void any warranty the deck has? The stick and fan issues aren't huge deals right now but I'd rather fix them early than waiting til there's an actual problem or the fan gets noisier.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

eddiewalker posted:

Do you have the issue where you have to forget and repair the controller every time you want to use it in Switch mode? I am, and I see a few other reports of the issue.

I think I’ve just got to consider the gyro unavailable when using the Pro2 with the Deck. X-mode is the only way to reconnect cleanly.
The Windows Bluetooth implementation sucks hard. I always have to forget and re-pair drat near everything I use when I connect it to another device. I bought the 8BitDo USB adapter to use on PC in order to not have to deal with that. Windows thinks it's dealing with a USB gamepad and the dongle handles all the Bluetooth poo poo.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Playing Morrowind… it’s good OP.

I was super bummed when the Steam Controller bottomed out, I loved its functional design. That the Deck retains the same philosophy is probably the thing I love most about it, makes the controller basically a dry run for the more totalizing synthesis of handheld control layouts applied to games designed for KB+M

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 15, 2022

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

One actual question I had, since I’m pretty new to mobile gaming and I played Deus Ex enough times to know the concept of a “zero point” - do batteries such as the Deck’s wear down more quickly if you keep them plugged in? Is it better to just use them freely and charge them within a given battery % range when necessary or if you’re stationary shouldn’t just plug em in?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I want to say that the longer you keep a lithium ion battery near 50% full the better. Keeping it topped off at 100% is not great.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 15, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think that's only true of older batteries that didn't have good integrated cell/power management. Modern devices shouldn't suffer from sitting at or near 100% for a long time, I believe.

Cue an actual battery scientist or whatever to sort me out, though!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Here's some university researchers looking through papers for battery health tips.

tldr 20-80% is best, avoid extreme temperatures

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah charge it when it's low, but also modern batteries are way better at managing their charge rate to not kill themselves (like a lot of smartphones will fast charge to 80% and trickle the rest of the way). Even the most abused battery I currently own shows a max capacity of 86% from where it started 3 years ago.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Good looking out, thanks folks

Now to spend 10 hours figuring out how to mod Skyrim, on top of the 10 hours it takes to install mods in Skyrim

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Is there any goon approved grip/stands like the Switch thread has?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't know that there's any grips people have attached to just since the basic Deck is comfortable enough to hold as it is. For stands the go-to is the Deckmate which is a ridiculous system of things but its primary use is the clip on kickstand.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Randalor posted:

I've had the deck for a couple of days, and so far the only issues I've had with it are: 1) I keep hitting the left trackpad when reaching for the d-pad because I'm used to the Switch's layout, 2) the 4 back buttons are kind of awkward to hit, I'm hoping I'll get used to them in time, 3) Vampire Survivors was having issues with cloud saving/loading, so I couldn't play it on the Steam Deck yet.

Keep working at getting Vampire Survivors working, it works well on the deck. As for the back buttons, it just takes time for your fingers to get used to them but eventually you’ll probably love them. I got a scuf years ago for my PlayStation and the back paddles were initially a bit weird but I got to the point where now I hate using a controller without the options. Going between my deck and my scuf is a very smooth transition these days.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have an 8bitdo SN30 I've been using, which works fine most of the time. The ⭐ button on the right hand side under all the regular buttons functions as the steam button. There's another button on the right hand side that on the switch functions as screen grab, but on my steam deck does nothing and I can't figure out how to map it to do anything. It's like it doesn't exist. I want to make it the menu button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Going through it re: trying to get modded Skyrim to work via Mod Organizer 2

When I run Skyrim straight from Steam? No problems, launcher sees everything, game launches, all that. Running from MO2? No resolutions listed, "renderer failed to initialize", and so on.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 16, 2022