Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

EwokEntourage posted:

$11,000 isn't much to pay to move on with your life

disclaimer: $11k is a lot to some people

$22,000 total, but even still, I agree that it's worth it to never have that awful person in my life ever again. Best of luck to her current / future partners, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'd say just pay the agreed alimony rather than spending a bunch of money on lawyers to fight having to pay the alimony with the potential outcome that you have to pay the alimony along with interest, costs, and possible attorneys fees.

By doing this you also end things with as little acrimony as possible.

Well, I SAY, gently caress her and call your lawyer! Fight, fight, fight!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also its 5 minutes to call your lawyer and ask if it's worth fighting over. If he's gonna charge you for that, it's a negligible amount to find out if you can save $11k

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

JohnCompany posted:

Yeah. What they said. Or to put it another way: is there an answer, in a hypothetical bullshitting over beers sense? Likely. Is there an answer, in a you keep the money because the judge says so sense? That'll be 15k to your lawyer and good odds you're still writing the check for 11 too.

So 11k to be done with his ex or like 30k to be done but also waste her time and energy and make her upset? Much to consider.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zauper posted:

No lawyer is going to respond to something this specific.

However, generally, read your settlement agreement. What does it say?

Broadly, as I understand it, there are three ways to change alimony owed... when it's the courts decision:
1) Either party dies.
2) The party receiving alimony remarries. Note that cohabitation is not marriage.
3) The party paying has a significant change in situation (e.g. disability, retirement, etc) -- which may impact their ability to hit obligations.

I'm seeing a potential solution here.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

CongoJack posted:

So 11k to be done with his ex or like 30k to be done but also waste her time and energy and make her upset? Much to consider.

And put her in debt too!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I am still chomping at the bit for more information about this dude's malpractice-mangled cock

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Kazinsal posted:

I am still chomping at the bit for more information about this dude's malpractice-mangled cock

Excuse me. It's "champing", and please don't champ at another man's jibbly bits.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Excessive bit chomping is what got us here in the first place!

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

CongoJack posted:

All told my lawyer cost me about $4.5k to get from start to finish for the divorce. It was a pretty simple divorce on paper since there were no kids or property (thank god). Final cost of leaving my abuser was 26.5k, plus the whole horrific court experience. I did email my lawyer for what it’s worth, and while I’m pretty sure this will amount to a hill of beans, I feel like I at least did my due diligence.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

null_pointer posted:

Excuse me. It's "champing", and please don't champ at another man's jibbly bits.

It's both: they're similarly old, have the same meaning, and come from the same root.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

come from the same root.

Unlike the remaining pieces of that guy's penis

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So given this news here:

https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/1602784292433760256

Do eviction processes for commercial real estate differ from residential? I'm assuming that you don't see the normal protections because it's a business rather than a home, but does anyone here have any idea what a commercial landlord could do here?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Solkanar512 posted:

So given this news here:

https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/1602784292433760256

Do eviction processes for commercial real estate differ from residential? I'm assuming that you don't see the normal protections because it's a business rather than a home, but does anyone here have any idea what a commercial landlord could do here?

That's a loving business visionary on par with Donald Trump or Tom P. Baxter

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

To be pedantic, if you are expected to pay rent monthly, and it is the third week of the month, you have not paid rent for weeks.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Solkanar512 posted:

Going to be super state dependence, and Lord knows. The California says about it because California is ridiculous. However, in Texas where I practice, the two big differences under the property code is that first, the landlord has an automatic lien on any of the property inside the least space so that if a tenant gets locked out, the landlord can sell their poo poo to pay their past due rent.

The second is that the landlord has the absolute right to lock the doors and shut them out as soon as rent becomes due and unpaid. Neither of those things are true about residential tendencies.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

blarzgh posted:

Going to be super state dependence, and Lord knows. The California says about it because California is ridiculous. However, in Texas where I practice, the two big differences under the property code is that first, the landlord has an automatic lien on any of the property inside the least space so that if a tenant gets locked out, the landlord can sell their poo poo to pay their past due rent.

The second is that the landlord has the absolute right to lock the doors and shut them out as soon as rent becomes due and unpaid. Neither of those things are true about residential tendencies.

That would be what, a potential third time everyone was locked out of the Twitter offices in the past few weeks?

Thanks for the info, folks!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

While a landlord may have the right to lock out a tenant, they may not physically be able to do so when it comes to a downtown office building which will have a company-managed security system with badges etc.

I suppose the landlord could maybe have the power turned off or show up with sheriffs or something?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Leperflesh posted:

While a landlord may have the right to lock out a tenant, they may not physically be able to do so when it comes to a downtown office building which will have a company-managed security system with badges etc.

I suppose the landlord could maybe have the power turned off or show up with sheriffs or something?

Was about to say this. Without power Twitter is completely dead in the water as far as using a building is concerned.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They'll just set up some indoor generators

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Outrail posted:

Was about to say this. Without power Twitter is completely dead in the water as far as using a building is concerned.

Do they rent the entire building, though? Or are there other tenants?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Not sure why the card access system would matter, they can chain the doors shut. I've seen bike locks used before, lol. I assume Twitter hq is occupied 24/7 though, it's not some small store or restaurant closed at night.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's a good point. Presumably a landlord determined to alienate their tenant in an SF downtown where commercial space occupancy has plummeted and there are literally millions of square feet of unoccupied space can find a way to lock out Twitter for not paying their rent for a month.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Harold Fjord posted:

You know they'll just make the interns sit on bikes recharging battery packs. Maybe give them a little zap if they go below a certain RPM.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Appears that I'm getting sued in a state I used to live for $20k in unpaid credit card debt. Old roommate accepted. What kind of lawyer do I need to make this go away? I can throw like $3-5k at this no problem but any more than that would be a pain.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A bankruptcy lawyer.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do they rent the entire building, though? Or are there other tenants?

I'm sure they'll understand.

Or cut power to individual floors/offices.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

oliveoil posted:

Appears that I'm getting sued in a state I used to live for $20k in unpaid credit card debt. Old roommate accepted. What kind of lawyer do I need to make this go away? I can throw like $3-5k at this no problem but any more than that would be a pain.

Did you rack up $20k in debt and flee the state? How does your roommate fit in? Seems like ignoring the problem has worked out so far, move to Alaska and keep riding that high.

e: IANAL

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

oliveoil posted:

Debt collection attorney in your area.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Outrail posted:

Maybe that is exactly what Elon needs to get through the final lock on the vault.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Harold Fjord posted:

Knowing musk, he'll buy some outdoor generators from home depot and put them indoors, telling everyone to plug on in! What do you mean "what about the network?" Just plug those in too! Jeez, what a bunch of lazy whiners. Oh, don't worry about that, that's just the smell of the scrappy startup, and the sounds of happy customers screaming at us in joy.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

oliveoil posted:

I'm not a lawyer.

It seems like if you could just pay 25% of a debt of a debt you owe to make it go away via the Power of Attorney™, I'd imagine most people just pay their debts.

Alternatively, if you find a way to magic it away, do share the one weird trick banks don't want you to know.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What legal protection of his own image does Trump have?

Can any idiot make "Trump Cards" to sell?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Land law question.

Who would I talk to about joining two adjoining properties that I own into one property? I'm assuming it's maybe a county office?

These properties are not inside of a city's jurisdiction.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

spacetoaster posted:

Land law question.

Who would I talk to about joining two adjoining properties that I own into one property? I'm assuming it's maybe a county office?

I’d start by googling “county name merge two parcels of land” and clicking on the appropriate county resource.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Harold Fjord posted:

What legal protection of his own image does Trump have?

Can any idiot make "Trump Cards" to sell?

You might get away with a parody type derivative of Trump. You could pay an artist to create an image very similar to Trump and say it's the Ace card that Trumps the other cards (or something). A business that my dad runs does something very similar with famous art work, and his lawyers have kept him out of ever having to pay these massive estates anything.

A copywrite lawyer would be able to help you figure out the details.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

Land law question.

You probably have to re-plat with the county, which probably also requires a new survey.

You can probably start either by calling the surveyor that you find through Google in your area, or by calling the county and asking about a re-plat.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Specifically your county clerk's office

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nice. I will do those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Blacksmithing thread was talking about making car parts.

How is making aftermarket but nearly identical replacement parts a thing? Even the factories that make parts for the OEM, say Denso, will resell the exact same part under their name on rockauto.