Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My son, Primape, the karate champion, is going through a Goth phase after losing a tourney and rage punching a wall 20 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mesadoram posted:

:shrug:

The boss wiping my stats as the ape doesn't actually affect it all that much due to how rage fist works. Also, any stat down the boss does procs defiant, which is a huge boon to my damage.

From all the raids I've done with the Ape, Azur and Iron Hands I think that my ape has the highest success rate. Playing safer and building damage with rage fist (while keeping the pubbies topped off) works really well from my experience.

How'd you build your Ape for raids? Max attack obvi, but his defense stats are good enough I'm tempted to forgo speed altogether and just pump HP so he can tank 6 star hits...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Pretty much all raid mons should be Hp and their preferred attack stat. Just make sure it's lvl 100 as well.

The only build I've seen different than that was a support grimmsnarl build

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

PittTheElder posted:

How'd you build your Ape for raids? Max attack obvi, but his defense stats are good enough I'm tempted to forgo speed altogether and just pump HP so he can tank 6 star hits...

MacheteZombie posted:

Pretty much all raid mons should be Hp and their preferred attack stat. Just make sure it's lvl 100 as well.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

TheDK posted:

I really suck at picking the right mons for tera raids. Starting farming for an adamant Iron Hands last night to pump up. If anyone wants an Iron Hands I have a few boxes of them.

Also if anyone wants to trade bike mons, I have Miraidon in a master ball that I can trade later tonight.

Iron Hands is great because it can power up so fast, but really any pokemon that 1) has decent survivability and 2) learns either Swords Dance or Nasty Plot can be good on offense, and honestly anyone that gets screens and any debuff move (ideally one like Spirit Break that does damage and so can still be used when they're shielded up) will be good on support.

The number one thing is survivability though, especially once you're doing 6-star raids, it REALLY makes a difference to be max level, have full HP EVs at least, and at least not be weak against their attacking types. If you're building out a squad, try to have ones that complement each other defensively.

Also though, sometimes your allies just make it unsalvageable. I had a six-star raid today with someone who brought their starter and just got one-shot over and over again -- there was no way we were gonna come back from that one.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
there's a battle status message that occasionally shows up in tera raids where it just says the name of the raid boss and nothing else. does anyone know what that message signifies or is supposed to say

e: just won against a Hippowdon for the first time! and it was 6* too

My Dachsbun is surprisingly good in tera raids. even though it's not ev trained or minted yet. It's very tanky. It's particularly good in raids against things that use fire moves because the AI isn't clever enough to not repeatedly proc its ability

Hammerite fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 14, 2022

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

TheDK posted:

I really suck at picking the right mons for tera raids. Starting farming for an adamant Iron Hands last night to pump up. If anyone wants an Iron Hands I have a few boxes of them.

Also if anyone wants to trade bike mons, I have Miraidon in a master ball that I can trade later tonight.

Yes to both if they're still available

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Terastalizing is implemented so weirdly in raids. I get that in theory it’s supposed to be the big reversal to smash through the shield but between taking so many attacks to reach charge and the boss stealing charges, I’ve only ever been able to terastalize after the shield is down.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I have some attack mons but I really think I need to built a support or two for raids. Not sure what I want though - umbreon seems to be the popular choice. I also really like Blissey and wonder if it could work, even if it’s not the “best” support choice.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Hammerite posted:

there's a battle status message that occasionally shows up in tera raids where it just says the name of the raid boss and nothing else. does anyone know what that message signifies or is supposed to say

e: just won against a Hippowdon for the first time! and it was 6* too

My Dachsbun is surprisingly good in tera raids. even though it's not ev trained or minted yet. It's very tanky. It's particularly good in raids against things that use fire moves because the AI isn't clever enough to not repeatedly proc its ability

Dachshund with Misty Terrain is such a run saver. It blocks all status moves including Spore/Yawn. Always cast that first turn and you’ll have a higher chance of winning

For anyone looking for an easy shiny, stand at the watchtower in the desert before the day changeover until you get a silicobra outbreak. KO 60 silicobra for max chances, then all you need to do is just run around near the silicobra. They flee when alerted but it DOESN’T decrease their outbreak status so new ones respawn constantly. I have two shinies now with no sandwiches whatsoever it is awesome. Just remember you won’t have time to save first so engage the shiny immediately if you see it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I've yet to be in anything more than a 3* raid, interesting that higher ones are actually difficult now (though it seems to be in an annoying way). are support mons for online raids or is it something you use with your stupid AI partners

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

indigi posted:

I've yet to be in anything more than a 3* raid, interesting that higher ones are actually difficult now (though it seems to be in an annoying way). are support mons for online raids or is it something you use with your stupid AI partners

For online. Solo raids you want something more self-sufficient since you can’t cooperate with an AI.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

solo raids are for making a pokemon one shot a 6 star raid

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'm 100% sure stat clears are an HP trigger. Unless the AI is blazing through the health bar you have time to set up.

Yes the stat clears are HP based triggers, but that's not my experience at all. I rarely ever get in a fourth attack before a stat clear. Like maybe one in 4 or 5? Probably a third of my raids I get in two attacks before a stat clear.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think different pokemon have different timing. Could be raid based, but it seems like clodsire always wipes team stats in the first two turns while amoongus wipes team stats when his shield its half/almost gone

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The difficulty isn't annoying, it's the incredible jank. Sometimes you sit there for 60+ seconds unable to even navigate the menu because you have to watch everyone's tera animations happen offscreen, and the boss has to do its debuffs, and use a weather move, and everyone does their painfully long tera attack animations, and then 15 more seconds of nothing at all because gently caress you.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Stux posted:

solo raids are for making a pokemon one shot a 6 star raid

is this a fib or are you being for real

Muscle Tracer posted:

The difficulty isn't annoying, it's the incredible jank. Sometimes you sit there for 60+ seconds unable to even navigate the menu because you have to watch everyone's tera animations happen offscreen, and the boss has to do its debuffs, and use a weather move, and everyone does their painfully long tera attack animations, and then 15 more seconds of nothing at all because gently caress you.

lol that sounds about right. they should have made it like Dynamax where only one gets to do it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

are they seriously going to make me read a rap battle.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

indigi posted:

No, you don't have to read it, you can just click through.

I like that lady, she's fun and the stage is fun, and the dancing puppy is fun.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Muscle Tracer posted:

And then the raid mon gets to attack three times in a row for some reason.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Hammerite posted:

Could be any of them afaik, most likely it’s tossing the shield up or removing negative effects from itself though

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

they should of got Queen Latifah to do an actual track, imo.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

like when Jay Z wrote that rap for Bugs Bunny.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

MacheteZombie posted:

I think different pokemon have different timing. Could be raid based, but it seems like clodsire always wipes team stats in the first two turns while amoongus wipes team stats when his shield its half/almost gone

And different triggers. Clodsire will clear buffs twice, once at almost full HP and again when low, but will not steal Tera energy.

PittTheElder posted:

And then the raid mon gets to attack three times in a row for some reason.

That's because raid mons have 1-2 moves they can use as trigger, usually status, and if people do massive damage without killing it runs through all of them.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

HopperUK posted:

No, you don't have to read it, you can just click through.

I like that lady, she's fun and the stage is fun, and the dancing puppy is fun.

The dancing puppy made me briefly consider training a graviard :3

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Holy hell I didn’t know Medicham learned Skill Swap this gen…

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

indigi posted:

My biggest complaint is that they won't let me battle her

ROFL Octopus posted:

Terastalizing is implemented so weirdly in raids. I get that in theory it’s supposed to be the big reversal to smash through the shield but between taking so many attacks to reach charge and the boss stealing charges, I’ve only ever been able to terastalize after the shield is down.

If I get the chance to, it's because I've already lost

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Iron Hands is my main raid 'mon, and I lead off with three Force Palms before I even try to Belly Drum so I can build up my Tera Orb before the shield goes up.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

indigi posted:

is this a fib or are you being for real

lol that sounds about right. they should have made it like Dynamax where only one gets to do it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Hell yeah

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

Usually I terastalize once and then die after one turn because it takes so loving long to get there.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

big black turnout posted:

My biggest complaint is that they won't let me battle her

This was another missed opportunity for a good gym challenge.

Literally all they had to do was let you choose a rhyming response from a list of options. Dress up the process with fun cutscenes and music. Boom. Themed gym challenge.

Instead you battle a pervert

Almost as bad as playing Where's Waldo with Ionno.

What the hell does Gamefreak think streamers do?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i just showed off all the treasures of ruin to raifort and her dialogue, uh, sure is something!!

quote:

"I would've have liked to go looking for the treasures of ruin myself and make them my own. But I suppose it was precisely because I sent you - someone with a pure heart - that we were able to accomplish this feat. They may be the treasures of my dreams, but I will allow you to have them for now. Consider this a symbol of my gratitude, too. Take it. It is yours." *Gives TM for Nasty Plot*

So, in summary - wants the EXTREMELY CURSED artifacts, implies that she doesn't have a pure heart, mentions she'd like to take them off your hands in the future, and then hands you a TM basically labeled "evil scheming.mp4"

Hey Raifort, do you maybe have something you want to tell the class????

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She's cool

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

i just showed off all the treasures of ruin to raifort and her dialogue, uh, sure is something!!

So, in summary - wants the EXTREMELY CURSED artifacts, implies that she doesn't have a pure heart, mentions she'd like to take them off your hands in the future, and then hands you a TM basically labeled "evil scheming.mp4"

Hey Raifort, do you maybe have something you want to tell the class????

Telling you man she's going to be the villain in the DLC. Straight up choreographing it. I always interpreted our discussions as us using each other. She thinks she's using me to get her evil artifacts she can use at her leisure. I just see her as means to an end to get the background information I need so I can make these ancient demons my new cuddly friends.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Flopsy posted:

Telling you man she's going to be the villain in the DLC. Straight up choreographing it. I always interpreted our discussions as us using each other. She thinks she's using me to get her evil artifacts she can use at her leisure. I just see her as means to an end to get the background information I need so I can make these ancient demons my new cuddly friends.
she is extremely cool and one of the best characters. but also like. hey. why are you being so blatantly sinister.

"Hey kid, how are those cursed artifacts of doom treating you? You wanna let me hang onto them for a bit? No reason."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Xander B Coolridge posted:

What the hell does Gamefreak think streamers do?

Get mad at Iono because their fans start rooting for her over them

She's fantastic

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/5WKl9su.mp4

my cat has the loving zoomies

Feb 2, 2005
Got my shiny charm and immediately rewarded with a green Espeon yahoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

why they didn’t include revives and status medicines in the select-to-heal feature is loving beyond me

Same reason why you can't start a picnic if you're on your Ko/Miraidon and it tells you to get off first instead of just... doing that as part of the process