Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

teagone posted:

Just want to note that I think your screencaps are taken from an HDR source in a player/display that doesn't support HDR, which makes the image more desaturated than it really is. I took caps from my HDR copy using MPV on a display that's HDR capable:

Hmm, I know VLC exports HDR screencaps badly so I was taking screenshots of the play window instead, but in general it still looks murky compared to yours. Weird/annoying, guess I should have listened to YOSPOS about using VLC.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Ezra looks photoshopped into that picture.

It's a huge movie and there's lots of effects shots, so even with the time they spent putting it together there are some shots that haven't had quite as much compositing effort as you might hope. It's been sensibly prioritised though, like this blink-and-you'll-miss-it top-down shot of Steppy that's a bit naff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

bushisms.txt posted:

🙏🏽 Great eye

Funny how I only just caught that now, almost 2 years later lmao. Another thing I like that I probably have mentioned elsewhere is that Snyder has several shots focused on Barry's hands during several action beats while in the speed force, which are very clear references to The Creation of Adam. Goes with the "gods" theme prevalent in the film again. Those are more obvious readings though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

^^^Edit, haha, you posted that as I was grabbing shots to show it.

teagone posted:

Effect of the speed force. It looks so good in motion. Legit my favorite scene in the film. Upon rewatching it, my brain just now put it together that Iris is the one shot from a low angle as she's thrown from her car, appearing like a goddess to Barry in most frames :allears:

Flash touching the sword to give to Wonder Woman is close to a mirrored Creation of Adam with Wonder Woman in the God spot on the right as opposed to left and Flash in the Adam spot, vice versa.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

^^^Edit, haha, you posted that as I was grabbing shots to show it.

Lol, shared brainwaves. I was also taking caps from the Iris scene focused on Barry's hands:

The Creation of Hot Dog is the best.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/fRORmP1.mp4

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Everyone talks about this scene but my favourite visual gag in Man of steel is the cut to an “Emergency” sign flashing repeatedly after Zods ship arrives only for it to zoom out and reveal its a printer at the Daily Planet that’s run out of ink.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

This is one of the single most baffling shots in a big budget movie in recent memory. I have no idea who could have looked at this and thought it looked even passable:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Flying Zamboni posted:

This is one of the single most baffling shots in a big budget movie in recent memory. I have no idea who could have looked at this and thought it looked even passable:

Horizon directly in the middle and the character is directly in the middle, too. It's like you're framing for a news reporter or something.

I just dont understand it at all. It's not a brief shot, it's an ectual extended one.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Gunn confirms Cavill is out and they have finalized the new slate of D.C. movies.

Gunn will write the new Superman movie, but won't direct. No director attached yet.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1603205520252289024

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

loving lmao. I knew it.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gunn confirms Cavill is out and they have finalized the new slate of D.C. movies.

Gunn will write the new Superman movie, but won't direct. No director attached yet.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1603205520252289024

Just the dumbest decision imaginable.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

DC absolutely gonna implode

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

dumb outcome

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gunn also says no Batfleck, but he has had a meeting with Affleck to direct a movie.

Seems like a mostly clean slate reboot.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

"Give Gunn a chance!" lmao

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It is funny to imagine Gunn going from beefcake to beefcake apologising

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I hope James Gunn dies

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm honestly glad. Sad for Henry though, but it's for the best. ZSJL being the capstone film to Henry's run is very fitting with how insanely cathartic and good it was. There was justice for Snyder and everyone involved, and for us fans.

But drat, the DCEU's tumultueous film ventures that were run straight into the ground by smooth-brained executives is some of the funniest poo poo and in the wake of all the Snyderverse drama to have the DCEU be completely taken over by a director whose recent DC universe film was a mediocre flop really is what WB/DC deserve.

This some real-life comedy poo poo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 15, 2022

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Roth posted:

I hope James Gunn dies

That's harsh. I only hope his career does, but failing upwards seems to be a trait he has

Edit:

teagone posted:

I'm honestly glad. Sad for Henry though, but it's for the best. ZSJL being the capstone film to Henry's run is very fitting with how insanely cathartic and good it was. There was justice for Snyder and everyone involved, and for us fans.

But drat, the DCEU's tumultueous film ventures that were run straight into the ground by smooth-brained executives is some of the funniest poo poo and in the wake of all the Snyderverse drama to have the DCEU be completely taken over by a director whose recent DC universe film was a mediocre flop really is what WB/DC deserve.

Mediocre flop is really underselling it. It was a massive catastrophe, moneywise

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2021/08/10/box-office-suicide-squad-2-creates-new-kind-of-100-million-losers-club/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gunn also says no Batfleck, but he has had a meeting with Affleck to direct a movie.

Seems like a mostly clean slate reboot.

Hope Affleck told him to gently caress off lol.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Seems like Variety actually had really good sources.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Seems like Variety actually had really good sources.

What's funny is it completely reveals just how much of a company man Gunn is. Might put on an edgy image, but at his core... big bootlicker energy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lost Cavill for Gunn. What a worthless trade.

Sad about that but now I can stop giving a poo poo. Gonna join all the folks who wanted DC to fail.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jimbot posted:

Lost Cavill for Gunn. What a worthless trade.

Sad about that but now I can stop giving a poo poo. Gonna join all the folks who wanted DC to fail.

We on the Rebel Moon train now. CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS, LETS GOOOO :black101:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

teagone posted:

What's funny is it completely reveals just how much of a company man Gunn is. Might put on an edgy image, but at his core... big bootlicker energy.

Who the gently caress in their right mind wants a movie about Superman before he’s established? Gunn says it’s not an origin story but if Superman isn’t already Superman, hey, it’s an origin story buddy.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
superman year one is such a stunning and original concept, how ever do they do it

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Roth posted:

I hope James Gunn dies

What the gently caress. Calm down.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So apparently the younger version of Superman that they're going to do isn't him as a kid, it's him starting out as a fresh-faced reporter before he's established himself as Superman. :lol:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

teagone posted:

Isn't this kind of the opposite? WB/D wanted to bring Cavill back and even had him announce it/shoot the Black Adam cameo. It was Gunn that decided to go in a new direction after he was hired.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I don't understand why they can't have all their stuff on the same page for more than like a month. Why have Cavill announce he's back at the end of October if you're just gonna announce he's not coming back in December?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Who the gently caress in their right mind wants a movie about Superman before he’s established? Gunn says it’s not an origin story but if Superman isn’t already Superman, hey, it’s an origin story buddy.

They're gonna do some sort of Smallville type deal prolly, in similar vein to Spider-Man Homecoming, and have it share a similar tone to Donner Superman. Toxx me, I'll eat a month probe if I'm wrong. :toxx:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Isn't this kind of the opposite? WB/D wanted to bring Cavill back and even had him announce it/shoot the Black Adam cameo. It was Gunn that decided to go in a new direction after he was hired.

yeah i just don't get it overall, why the hell bring Cavill back for the cameo and get people's hopes up, this is all just the most baffling series of decisions they could make lol

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Almost Blue posted:

I don't understand why they can't have all their stuff on the same page for more than like a month. Why have Cavill announce he's back at the end of October if you're just gonna announce he's not coming back in December?

This is them getting on the same page. They turned everything over to Gunn and he is deciding to rebuild from the ground up.

I'm sad to see Cavill go, but honestly it makes sense. They either had to do a clean slate reboot or just try to continue the existing universe. A partial reboot and recasting half the people would just have been really messy and bind them to previous source material and they didn't want to just try to continue the existing strategy.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Cavill apparently never actually signed a contract for any appearances beyond the Black Adam credits scene (and reportedly a brief cameo in The Flash that was shot around the same time), so to some extent, the abortive "I am back as Superman" announcement was just a self-inflicted PR blunder on WB's part.

as I said a week or so ago, though, when this was first reported as a possibility, this does seem on the face of it like yet another overcorrection in the DC cycle of overcorrection that WB has been in for close to a decade now. maybe Gunn will prove me wrong, we'll see

Guy A. Person posted:

yeah i just don't get it overall, why the hell bring Cavill back for the cameo and get people's hopes up, this is all just the most baffling series of decisions they could make lol

because The Rock has (had?) a lot of clout and was heavily lobbying for the Black Adam cameo and De Luca and Abdy, the WB execs in question, apparently thought it was a good idea to give Johnson everything he wanted for his own movie's PR cycle

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 15, 2022

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

lol at Gunn's tweets about Superman being their top priority and just calm down everyone, we're not going to do anything crazy, don't believe everything you read.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!
Theres no way in hell James Gunn is heading DC without putting his stamp on everything, just like he did with every Marvel character he touched. None were faithful to the comics, only had the name and look. Hes going to to do the same thing with every DC IP, no doubt in my mind.
Dude's ego is insanely big. Putting him in charge of the whole thing might be the biggest mistake WB has done at this point and thats saying alot.

His wife, brother and his gang of background actor friends must be happy though, guaranteed work for the next 10 years.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wasn't it the Rock who forced the Cavill cameo after he got booed? I'm sure WB execs loathed the idea of having that after credits scene included.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They've been dying to copy the MCU format (multiple loosely films per year) for so long that the MCU format has exceeded it's welcome.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

"B-But you're being unfair by not giving Gunn a chance"

BOO HOO CRACKER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

This is them getting on the same page. They turned everything over to Gunn and he is deciding to rebuild from the ground up.

I'm sad to see Cavill go, but honestly it makes sense. They either had to do a clean slate reboot or just try to continue the existing universe. A partial reboot and recasting half the people would just have been really messy and bind them to previous source material and they didn't want to just try to continue the existing strategy.

If Gunn had a spine, he'd bring his good ol' buddy Zack Snyder back and they'd continue from where ZSJL left off. There's already an established fanbase to cull profits from.