Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

During our two cross-country road trips, even in our Model 3 Performance, we only charged at superchargers two times in a day and then destination charged at hotels overnight. We only spent an hour charging each day, and managed to drive over 600 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

During our two cross-country road trips, even in our Model 3 Performance, we only charged at superchargers two times in a day and then destination charged at hotels overnight. We only spent an hour charging each day, and managed to drive over 600 miles.

Yeah, being able to charge at over 30kW is pretty important. I wouldn't want to use the Bolt for the road trips we've done in the Tesla.

The Bolt is a great car. Just... not for long distances.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Everyone's favorite car reviewer, Doug DeMuro, got a chance to look at the Amazon delivery vans that Rivian is making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CWCqJl0BEs

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Stultus Maximus posted:

The next Chevrolet EV will be the Equinox EV and yes, it will be on the GM Ultium platform.

pretty sure Equinox EV is in Bolt EUV pricing territory. Makes sense to sunset Bolt EUV/bring down the price and slide the Equinox in its place

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The Equinox EV is supposed to be ~$30k starting so 3-4k more.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I’m so sad that the Equinox isn’t going to be here sooner. Assuming they do a good job with it, I’m pretty set on one of the higher trim AWD versions that won’t come out until spring 2024.

I guess I’m hanging onto my crappy 2013 CRV that I really don’t like for another year.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

borkencode posted:

Everyone's favorite car reviewer, Doug DeMuro, got a chance to look at the Amazon delivery vans that Rivian is making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CWCqJl0BEs
Oh God why the gently caress doesn't the USPS get something like this.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

darnon posted:

The Equinox EV is supposed to be ~$30k starting so 3-4k more.

They're to make like five at that price point before the inevitable price increase.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Oh God why the gently caress doesn't the USPS get something like this.

lmao they had plans to replace their entire fleet with electric delivery trucks but Republicans killed that plan during the Trump administration, scaling it back to like 10% electric vehicles (all provided by some defense contractor).

Earlier this year DeJoy said they'd need an additional $3B to go all-electric, and then the Senate actually allocated them that much additional funding. Hopefully this forces their hand somehow but :shrug:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Some assholes who make armored trucks got a contract to provide mail vans that get like 25% better mpg than the existing LLVs, instead of an actual car company providing actual hybrids or EVs.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Speleothing posted:

Some assholes who make armored trucks got a contract to provide mail vans that get like 25% better mpg than the existing LLVs, instead of an actual car company providing actual hybrids or EVs.

quote:

Oshkosh's design would have a fuel efficiency of just 14 miles per gallon, or 8.6 mpg when the air conditioning is on. The combined vehicle weight including payload is 8,501 pounds, just one pound over the EPA's threshold to be considered a heavy-duty truck, allowing it to avoid pollution emissions standards for light trucks.

:trumpsmug:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
There is one serious problem with pure EV mail vehicles though, if it is nearly perfectly silent how are all the dogs going to recognize them so they can wake up and go berserk barking at them?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Indiana_Krom posted:

There is one serious problem with pure EV mail vehicles though, if it is nearly perfectly silent how are all the dogs going to recognize them so they can wake up and go berserk barking at them?

how will I know that my mail got delivered if I can't hear the BWEEEEEEEEEEERRRR-chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga-BWEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeee that lets me know?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Autobest, "an organization & European auto jury which was established in 2000 in Bucharest, Romania by leading motoring writers coming from eight countries of Europe" now representing car magazines from 31 countries, ran a comparison test to test a couple of EVs on range, charging speed and stuff.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm really excited to see where MG4 procing lands when it gets here.

If the UK pricing relative to the ZS carries over it looks basically perfect for my wife

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's a pretty surprising difference between the Ioniq and EV6, is that mostly AWD or aerodynamics?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Neighbors just got an EV6 in red. Looks so nice.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I keep seeing a yellow one driving around my neighborhood and I think it looks good too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I kinda prefer the Ioniq5 lines to the EV6 but it's close. Both really interesting looking cars!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

EV6 is better, imo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The EV9 renders are better than the Ioniq 7 renders though :haw:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
The Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6 are both hideous but the GV60 is gorgeous and honestly if I drove enough to justify the price I would have chosen it over my Mach-E Premium in a heartbeat.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://youtu.be/EyDpQpcPpuc

Need me a Lucid, imo.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

Does the thread have any opinions on the Polestar 2? I'm looking at post-Tesla options now that my 10-year-old Model S is effectively a MAGA hat with wheels. I've had my first real trouble with the car, and I have to suppose this can only go downhill.

I've owned one since January and I absolutely love it. I have not seen another one anywhere near where I live so people often do a double take because it's something most of them have never seen before. And a lot of people stop and ask me about it, so it's a cool way to start a conversation about EVs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mobby_6kl posted:

That's a pretty surprising difference between the Ioniq and EV6, is that mostly AWD or aerodynamics?

Probably more due to power from dual motors and mass from AWD. cd is a rounding error between the two in favor of the EV6, and the EV6 has slightly smaller frontal area, so it's probably a hair more efficient cp, but most of that difference is gonna be power and mass.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Three Olives posted:

The Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6 are both hideous but the GV60 is gorgeous and honestly if I drove enough to justify the price I would have chosen it over my Mach-E Premium in a heartbeat.

I dunno I think genesis has yet to make a really good looking car, and has made several hideously ugly ones in its short life as a standalone brand.

Subjective of course..

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ive seen a couple Genesis in my work neighborhood- an SUV and I think a BEV sedan. Are they a Korean make?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ive seen a couple Genesis in my work neighborhood- an SUV and I think a BEV sedan. Are they a Korean make?

Yah the Hyundai luxury marque

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Autobest, "an organization & European auto jury which was established in 2000 in Bucharest, Romania by leading motoring writers coming from eight countries of Europe" now representing car magazines from 31 countries, ran a comparison test to test a couple of EVs on range, charging speed and stuff.

Where can I find information about test conditions and methodology?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Probably more due to power from dual motors and mass from AWD. cd is a rounding error between the two in favor of the EV6, and the EV6 has slightly smaller frontal area, so it's probably a hair more efficient cp, but most of that difference is gonna be power and mass.

Would be interesting to test two identical cars and see if they performed differently on the test.

I dunno why the VW and Skoda should be so far adrift of their numbers (and each other)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dissss posted:

Would be interesting to test two identical cars and see if they performed differently on the test.

For sure, but there's a lot of other variables - driving style, small issues with alignment, variations in production, all kinds of stuff that mean it's basically impossible to do a great real world differential range test between two similar cars.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For sure, but there's a lot of other variables - driving style, small issues with alignment, variations in production, all kinds of stuff that mean it's basically impossible to do a great real world differential range test between two similar cars.

That's the single useful case for autonomous driving. Unless QA is absolutely hosed, two cars running on computer driven only input should behave mostly identical.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

That's the single useful case for autonomous driving. Unless QA is absolutely hosed, two cars running on computer driven only input should behave mostly identical.

It reduces variability but poo poo like tire pressure and alignment are not gonna be computer controlled.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

pun pundit posted:

Where can I find information about test conditions and methodology?

Searching for "ecobest challenge 2022" gave me this site.

quote:

It took place in Vairano, where the ASC proving ground of Quattroruote is based, near Milano. The professional motoring journalists of AUTOBEST drove 14* electric vehicles available in Europe (all with more than 300 kilometres of homologated WLTP range and a price list under €65,000 before taxes) to answer the most common question people ask when looking for an electric car. 

The test started and finished at Vairano ASC, where we also recharged the cars. All the vehicles tested were regular production models with one person on board, climate system and infotainment equipment active and the tyre pressure recommended by the brand. All the cars were driven in ‘Normal’ mode and using Brake mode in the city environment when available.

Using a mixed trip, all the vehicles travelled a series of three circuits with different lengths with motorways (50%), conventional roads (20%) and urban environments (30%). 

All the drivers changed cars every 30 kilometres to avoid any individual effect of the driving style in the results. All vehicles drove in convoy behind a leader, establishing the average speed and respecting the speed limits at all times.

After reaching the indication of 0% battery and/or 0 Km range appearing on the cluster, cars continued to run in the Vairano ASC until their complete stop.

*AUTOBEST intended to have 15 cars in the test, but just few days before the start, Tesla announced they could not provide the promised Model Y. To replace the missing care was simply impossible at such short notice.  

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Quattroruote not sourcing a single stellantis car, when vairano is less than two hours away from Turin, is rather suspect.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://observer.com/2022/12/koguan-leo-tesla-shareholder-oust-elon-musk/

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mobby_6kl posted:

quote:

All the cars were driven in ‘Normal’ mode

Ahhh, theres the difference between the AWD ioniq 5 and RWD EV6. I would be curious to see the test in eco mode to see if theres much of a difference anymore since eco would mechanically decouple the second motor so the only real difference should be the extra little bit of weight and aerodynamics.

Even beyond just those twins, i'd be really interested to see how each car does on the identical test in eco mode, which ones really benefit, how much they benefit, and which does it not make much difference at all.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

New car day.

There is a nonzero possibility that I will burn to death trapped inside this thing, but in the meantime it’s an extremely fun toy. Either the 3P gets different interior bits or they’ve made a lot of improvements since we leased a 3LR.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Loucks posted:

New car day.

There is a nonzero possibility that I will burn to death trapped inside this thing, but in the meantime it’s an extremely fun toy. Either the 3P gets different interior bits or they’ve made a lot of improvements since we leased a 3LR.

Very nice, but are those Pirelli's all season or winter? If they are just summer tires, you probably want to get off of them as quickly as possible and get some winter tires on there as summer tires are straight up unsafe below 40F (4C).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Loucks posted:

New car day.

Congrats! Yea, hey refreshed both the 3 & Y last year, and got rid of the piano-black in the cabin (assuming you got that interior). It's a huge improvement.

And like Indiana_Krom said, get some good winter tires ASAP if you are anywhere cold. Can confirm they make a HUGE difference.