Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Indecisive posted:

no, he means like bedrooms, i.e. each tomb is a seperate room w/ door. dwarves dont do mass graves. unless you use engraved slabs instead of tombs but those have their own pain in the rear end.

they may not want to, but sometimes we have to. in my slaughterhouse city phase i had to just throw down caskets and give them a 1x2 space with no walls or door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I think I need some help with a mayor's quarters. The game says I need to give him a Decent Study, Bedroom, and Dining Hall, but I've tried adding the highest quality furniture I have and expanded the room itself twice, but it still says the room is Meager. I did remember to re-designate the room after the expansions so that the full room is designated.

The larger of the two rooms in the screenshot is designated as his bedroom, dining hall, and office. The bed is wood, but of * quality. The chest and cabinet are bronze, the armor and weapon stands are made of silver, and I put a statue in there as well, made of claystone (the only type stone I had available).Every inch of the room is engraved.

What else can I do to raise the value of the room, or is there something I'm missing?

E: vv I do have some artifacts stashed somewhere. I'll try sticking one or two in there to see if I can finally make the mayor happy. Thanks!

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 15, 2022

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Make some statues out of expensive materials, or if you have spare artifacts try making a pedestal and putting them on display.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Elves just got mad at me for offering them wood; I double checked everything I put in the depot even. All rock crafts, nothing has been encrusted. They were in wooden bins but the wiki says that's fine as long as you don't offer the bin itself, and I swear I did it successfully the other day. All that clicking to sell individual items from a bin, wasted..

The last time this happened to me, it was trying to sell an artifact that had been encrusted with something they didn’t like hidden deep in the description. Since then I’ve just given up trading with them.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Really wish you could designate more things NOT to be cooked at a kitchen, before you have them. I want to be able to disable all tallow cooking but I have to wait until I have a specific animal's tallow available before I can disable it.

turn off "automate kitchen" in the standing orders tab

as far as I can tell all that does is auto-render fat to tallow which then gets used for meals

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I can't figure out how to get dwarves to use blank writing material in the library. They'll only stockpile quires and won't touch scrolls at all unless they are set to be dumped (and fudging them into the a dump zone in library hasn't done anything either)

I've got bookcases and chests in the library, and the desired writing materials set to 999

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Asterite34 posted:

Volcanos are all fun and games until a Magma Crab crawls up your channeled hot lava tap, out from underneath your forge and beelines right for the human merchant caravan sitting at the trade depot. Didn't see exactly what happened because combat logs are hosed, but I THINK one of the caravan guards ate molten basalt, died, and the caravan bugged out and wouldn't leave the trading depot for months until I just disassembled the drat thing. So now the humans probably hate me, but on the plus side, hey Free Stuff!

That's not the first life that magma channel has claimed, it incinerated one of my miners when I was tapping into the magma tube. THAT guy got a memorial slab and an obsidian statue in a little grotto next to the Magma Smelter, as both a way to honor his sacrifice and to act as a sort of OSHA "Don't let this happen to you" visual aid.

I'm pretty sure that workshops block all floor tiles now, so as long as you leave one spot open to the magma before you build the workshop and don't have any other open spots at the top of the volcano, you should be golden? The current volcano I'm on actually stops at one level before the surface so I'm just slowly covering it in constructed floors and will mine out spots for magma workshops as needed.

chglcu posted:

The last time this happened to me, it was trying to sell an artifact that had been encrusted with something they didn’t like hidden deep in the description. Since then I’ve just given up trading with them.

The only artifact I have right now is a wooden splint that menaces with wooden spikes. I don't think I offered it up but it's possible.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Slayed a Roc that visited my fortress, and now my dwarves are the subject of Legends.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So do kobolds need a visible kobold civilization on the world map to show up? I've been generating lots of worlds while testing some things and I can count the times I've seen kobolds 150 years in on one hand. Seems like they either never start civilizations on most worlds or get wiped out early.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Velocity Raptor posted:

I think I need some help with a mayor's quarters. The game says I need to give him a Decent Study, Bedroom, and Dining Hall, but I've tried adding the highest quality furniture I have and expanded the room itself twice, but it still says the room is Meager. I did remember to re-designate the room after the expansions so that the full room is designated.

The larger of the two rooms in the screenshot is designated as his bedroom, dining hall, and office. The bed is wood, but of * quality. The chest and cabinet are bronze, the armor and weapon stands are made of silver, and I put a statue in there as well, made of claystone (the only type stone I had available).Every inch of the room is engraved.

What else can I do to raise the value of the room, or is there something I'm missing?

E: vv I do have some artifacts stashed somewhere. I'll try sticking one or two in there to see if I can finally make the mayor happy. Thanks!

If there's any overlap at all between rooms besides a shared wall, it sets the wealth to meager.

edit: well it's a little more complicated than that in a way I can't figure out but overlapping a single cell of my bedroom with my throneroom moved my a royal throne room to meager and great bedroom to decent.

esquilax fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 15, 2022

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

resistentialism posted:

I can't figure out how to get dwarves to use blank writing material in the library. They'll only stockpile quires and won't touch scrolls at all unless they are set to be dumped (and fudging them into the a dump zone in library hasn't done anything either)

I've got bookcases and chests in the library, and the desired writing materials set to 999

Did you assign scholars and librarians ?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
love how my caverns are starting to look tamed in this corner. wish filling in floors was easier, or at least didnt make you start over when you click an area it cant access and it wont let you place it anyway.

I've had 3 people die recently, quite mysteriously. No monster attack, no fight, just so and so found dead. No way to check injuries of the corpse and there's no crime listed in justice about it. I have had some shady people visiting recently two necromancers and something called a beak walker something or other. Are these friggin necromancers doing murders secretly?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm pretty sure that workshops block all floor tiles now

I can assure you, they do not :crab:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Did you assign scholars and librarians ?

Ah yes, I did, but I also had it set as the medical dwarf's office or something. Unclick that and now they work.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

dwarven kids are crazy

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 15, 2022

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Asterite34 posted:

I can assure you, they do not :crab:

I found a Reddit post for the Steam release (here) that says you can set up magma stuff like this:

Magma Forge
XXX
OXO
XXX

Everything Else Magma
XOX
XXX
XXX

Where the O's are impassable by creatures. Whether it's true or not, I guess I'll find out!

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

esquilax posted:

If there's any overlap at all between rooms besides a shared wall, it sets the wealth to meager.

edit: well it's a little more complicated than that in a way I can't figure out but overlapping a single cell of my bedroom with my throneroom moved my a royal throne room to meager and great bedroom to decent.

Thank you! That was my problem, I was overlapping the 3 designations. I moved the furniture around and set up 3 separate designations and that fixed it.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I found a Reddit post for the Steam release (here) that says you can set up magma stuff like this:

Magma Forge
XXX
OXO
XXX

Everything Else Magma
XOX
XXX
XXX

Where the O's are impassable by creatures. Whether it's true or not, I guess I'll find out!

Well that explains why the drat thing crawled up my forge and not the smelter or glass furnace. I might have to re-build that.

Might also just take a page from your book and build a roof over the caldera so Fire Imps stop running around getting chased by my dogs like rabbits.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
So the King finally arrived at my fortress, along with a shitload of nobles and the Outpost Liaison. I had to set up a room for the Outpost Liaison but the King didn't ask for anything. Is this how it normally goes, I don't remember? The king and a shitload of nobles are just hanging out in my tavern. I'm kind of wondering if something broke because my Mayor was stuck down in the third cavern level which TOTALLY wasn't my fault and didn't meet with anyone.

Oh, and we had a forgotten beast attack at the same time. A really nasty one, it had flying and firebreathing. It was flying around outside torching my animals when it suddenly landed and went into "severe emotional shock." I looked at the logs and one of the visiting noblewomen, an old lady with no real combat skills, saw all the animals die and then ran up and punched it so hard that it had to sit down and think about things for a bit. I sent the military after it while it was emotionally devastated and we downed it, only losing one swordsdwarf.

Anyway, I hope the whole shitshow didn't break something to do with the King. I guess it's cool to have him enjoying all the idiot bards in my tavern.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Magma Forge
XXX
OXO
XXX

Everything Else Magma
XOX
XXX
XXX

I haven't had an issue yet because I just assumed the only way it would work at all would be to have the magma square directly under the thing that looked like it needs heat

i'm glad i managed to do the objectively correct thing for completely incorrect reasons

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

resistentialism posted:

You can press the "Multi" button when you're making bedroom assignments, paint a huge rectangle over your living area, and it will designate separate bedrooms. Supposing you put a bed and a door in each portion-able room.

Oh wow

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I've run into a bug where merchants only bring me food items. Like it's happened with the dwarf, human, and elf merchants. Not the end of the world but a bit annoying

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>
edit: nm

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Why are you biting the deer, you have a crossbow

Well, whatever gets the job done, I guess.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

On the subject of tombs, you can make things a little easier if you use channels.

Channel down, and then dig one square next to the ramp to place the coffin. Since this creates a coffin surrounded by walls, you can mass-designate the tombs (assuming you build a lot of them, of course) without having to build doors.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh that’s pretty slick, I’ll have to try that.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

My military reached a critical mass where I could comfortably clear out the hundreds of bird people infesting the cavern. My surviving mildwarfs are now much stronger but also miserable from all the bird death and miasma, hopefully they acclimate well to civilian life for a while!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Khanstant posted:

love how my caverns are starting to look tamed in this corner. wish filling in floors was easier, or at least didnt make you start over when you click an area it cant access and it wont let you place it anyway.

I've had 3 people die recently, quite mysteriously. No monster attack, no fight, just so and so found dead. No way to check injuries of the corpse and there's no crime listed in justice about it. I have had some shady people visiting recently two necromancers and something called a beak walker something or other. Are these friggin necromancers doing murders secretly?

necromancers are good folk

but some dwarves were cursed by the gods to live by drinking the blood of other dwarves

those dwarves are best thrown down a well onto some spikes, so they can share their gifts with everybody

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Khanstant posted:

Build a slab, engrave it for the dead dwarf, place it, inspect it, and it will tell you how the dwarf died- if you don't mind being a little cheaty about finding out.

I will say that I had 2 die of old age, the slab just reads they "died peacefully". They were also both 150+ years old.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is there a quick way to switch which months a unit on the staggered training schedule trains

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

is there a quick way to switch which months a unit on the staggered training schedule trains

It's kinda funky but;

On the left of the Schedule screen there's a "View monthly schedule" button that you can click to get this screen. Just copy an "Off duty" or "Train" window to whichever month you want.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dwarves I am begging you please just throw it in a refuse pile outside or something

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

Porkness posted:

In case any of you find this useful: If your stockpiles are set to use wheelbarrows, then the number of hauling jobs maxxes out at that number of wheelbarrows.

I had a huge stockpile for stone and only one hauling job at a time until I increased the # of wheelbarrows from 1 to like 15.

What is this madness? :psyduck:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

turns out getting a legendary cook as your first migrant gets you enough money to buy out every caravan for the foreseeable future just from churning out masterpiece plump helmet dishes

i have a volcano too but i havent tried to do anything with it yet

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Dwarves I am begging you please just throw it in a refuse pile outside or something

What universities dorm is this?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Give all rooms a chest and a closet.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

What universities dorm is this?

The University of Breachseal

Hommando posted:

Give all rooms a chest and a closet.

ok this is a good solution but gently caress that's going to take a long time lol

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Is there a way to give all your non-combat dwarves an order to get the gently caress inside during a siege?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

IcePhoenix posted:

The University of Breachseal

ok this is a good solution but gently caress that's going to take a long time lol

Step 1: Work order for "Make 10 Cabinets if there's less than 10 cabinets", same for chests
Step 2: "Use Closest Material", "Keep building after placement"
Step 3: Watch some people who are guaranteed worse at playing DF to keep your morale up while you wait

Captain Invictus posted:

have there been content creators unfamiliar with dwarf fortress who have seen the popularity of the steam version and decided to dive in blind

if anyone here has examples of them, please post some, it's hilarious watching people flounder at it. Pat Stares At gave it a shot despite his notoriously bad mind goblins around games with freedom of decision, and you can practically hear the steam shooting out his ears even so soon as hitting the world generation button
https://twitch.tv/videos/1678403993?t=1443s

Vinny played it and apparently hated it, haven't watched it yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBIrNEvZOk8&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Step 1: Work order for "Make 10 Cabinets if there's less than 10 cabinets", same for chests
Step 2: "Use Closest Material", "Keep building after placement"
Step 3: Watch some people who are guaranteed worse at playing DF to keep your morale up while you wait

I did the first two steps but I have 100 bedrooms lol