Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

in AIT's defense, anime IS terrible

but so is AIT's posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Filthy Hans posted:

in AIT's defense, anime IS terrible

but so is AIT's posting

:ironicat:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i think they're both good

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I like AiTs aggro posting style even if I have fallen on the receiving end of it. It seems to walk a pretty fine line between full on always on hostility and thoughtful posting

I say AiT is just alright and mods benefit from not getting in slap fights with posters

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Nah, he's just a tiresome too cool for school dork.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i'm sure those posts of let's kill X have a lot of thought behind them

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

also if aggro posting is good, then it seems like mods should definitely get into slapfights all the time

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah that’s fair as long as they don’t start slamming their buttons and declaring loudly in mod voice that they’re the boss

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah that’s fair as long as they don’t start slamming their buttons and declaring loudly in mod voice that they’re the boss

Works for me.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Majorian posted:

Okay, well, I'm sorry to disappoint, but here's the thing: if you're going to be a prick to me, gently caress you. I'm going to probe you.

Jazerus posted:

how you deal with the people who are idiots is up to you

mods working their asses off

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

wait you gassed the stewie thread

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Minecraft Holmes posted:

mods working their asses off

for my part; this is cspam, argue with people don't beg the mods to probate your posting enemies or move a thread you don't like out of the subforum. if you are interested in that type of posting experience i am sure you can find it somewhere. you can rest assured that if someone is unhinged enough they'll still make a post so bad they'll catch some kind of punishment because that's how it works and you know that's how it works so what's the problem

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

what happened to Korean Boomhauer

I checked the Goons Who Are No Longer With Us thread and he wasn't mentioned, but that isn't proof of life per se

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lumpentroll posted:

wait you gassed the stewie thread

After AIT closed it yeah. I regret doing it, I could've just unlocked it.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Filthy Hans posted:

what happened to Korean Boomhauer

I checked the Goons Who Are No Longer With Us thread and he wasn't mentioned, but that isn't proof of life per se

tropical vacation with jeffrey

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lobster shirt posted:

tropical vacation with jeffrey

oh no, this is what happened to Natalee Holloway

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i assume that any tropical vacation with jeffrey involves helping him fish a mattress out of the pool

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Just remembered something, don’t do this again please. Especially without putting a clear reason in the probation.

silicone thrills posted:

Neilia was a drunk who killed her kids and then Joe Biden blamed the other driver and made his life hell.

As someone who also had a mom who died to alcoholism I'm giving everyone the pass to totally dunk on her.

When I was making calls in Delaware some old dude told me that he was a rug cleaner back then and was trying to do a delivery to their house and she took a swing at him outa nowhere lol.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I like you as a poster but come on, you need to read the room and have some compassion for your fellows here. It seems very hair trigger and personal — especially when you don’t explain why — which makes you bad at being a moderator. It’s upsetting! This kind of thing is why people are reacting strongly I think.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Dec 15, 2022

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Majorian posted:

At work when I’m mad I never send an email or slack until I’ve cooled down enough to make sure I’m not making things worse. Not trying to be condescending but this might be a good practice. Very few posts need immediate real time moderation and thirty minutes might make all the difference

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Okay, well, I'm sorry to disappoint, but here's the thing: if you're going to be a prick to me, gently caress you. I'm going to probe you.

You're such a flimsy little bitch, gently caress off back to d&d if you want to be treated with ~decorum~

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
AiT is aggro but that is a dogshit probe

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

Just remembered something, don’t do this again please. Especially without putting a clear reason in the probation.

I like you as a poster but come on, you need to read the room and have some compassion for your fellows here. It seems very hair trigger and personal — especially when you don’t explain why — which makes you bad at being a moderator. It’s upsetting! This kind of thing is why people are reacting strongly I think.

he did explain later along in the thread that the post touched a nerve, and then bowed out and asked me to step in and keep an eye on things

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
*gets modded and immediately starts punishing posting enemies*

this will turn out fine lol

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

majorian admitted it was a bad probe & that he had acted injudiciously.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Cranappleberry posted:

AiT is aggro but that is a dogshit probe

they both suck.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Jazerus posted:

for my part; this is cspam, argue with people don't beg the mods to probate your posting enemies or move a thread you don't like out of the subforum. if you are interested in that type of posting experience i am sure you can find it somewhere. you can rest assured that if someone is unhinged enough they'll still make a post so bad they'll catch some kind of punishment because that's how it works and you know that's how it works so what's the problem

ironically (or not? idk what irony is) the classic cspam low effort aggro troll style some people seem to really dislike is a direct response to this style of moderation.

it's basically a way posters can self moderate stuff when mods are hands off or absent. you would see that a lot in the early days of the Ukraine thread where people would come in and be like "where da tankies at??" over and over. in that case it's a good tool for dealing with dumbasses and highly effective at triggering meltdowns that ultimately encourage people to either exit the posting arena or say something so deranged they finally get exited by some mods.

that's not really to take an opinion on doing things that way, just an observation.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
in my experience it's always been challenging to know when to step in and when to let the thread handle things, and I don't get it right, especially at times in the u/r thread.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Dreylad posted:

in my experience it's always been challenging to know when to step in and when to let the thread handle things, and I don't get it right, especially at times in the u/r thread.

giving everyone involved in a slapfight a sixer seems to work pretty well

that way everyone can save face because their opponent got sixered for being a troll, and they for replying to an obvious troll

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a stronger indicator someone should not have buttons than them immediately deciding "well since I've got buttons I'm special and it should be a punishable offense to be rude to me"

Are you going to start punishing caps lock violations next you stupid poo poo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Willa Rogers posted:

majorian admitted it was a bad probe & that he had acted injudiciously.

I don’t think his approach has actually changed which is why the discussion continues, and we have to dowse his intention from probe reasons. saying “I hosed up” is nice I guess but unless it’s from the Bahamas it’s a sparkling “gently caress you.”

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

that's some good aggro posting rats but can you turn it into a slapfight

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

some plague rats posted:

Is there a stronger indicator someone should not have buttons than them immediately deciding "well since I've got buttons I'm special and it should be a punishable offense to be rude to me"

Are you going to start punishing caps lock violations next you stupid poo poo

this is just another move in the Bring Back the Glennthread chess match

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i do want to see glenn's take on caps lock violations and the liberal media elites who profit from suppressing the truth about the capital lock key

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
List of cspam mod weaknesses:
Azathot: light berating
Majorian: aggro posting
NHD: earnest, heartfelt emotions

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cranappleberry posted:

FluffDaddy: too numerous to list, but for example reminding him of the time he banned someone for calling him fat has gotten at least one poster banned
Dreylad: hornyposting

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dustcat posted:

that's some good aggro posting rats but can you turn it into a slapfight

No because he'll just push buttons instead of engaging

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

it's true you can't slap a man out of a position he didn't arrive at through a series of more complex slaps

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Majorian posted:

It probably would have been a better troll.
As somebody else has mentioned, I think you are pretty quick to respond and could probably do well not to be. I also think you are perhaps a little too sensitive and could roll with the punches better.

You have been making a visible effort to improve and have historically been good about constructive criticism. The Ukraine thread has been better for your work but most threads requires the same level of moderation as that one.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dustcat posted:

it's true you can't slap a man out of a position he didn't arrive at through a series of more complex slaps

I'm going to come at you like E Honda until you start making more sense!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Cranappleberry posted:

azathoths is def poor reading comprehension