Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

playing final fantasy x like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I like Wakka cuz he's Bender and says "Ya?" all the time.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I like Wakka cuz he's Bender and says "Ya?" all the time.

Bite my racist fundamentalist rear end

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
A lot of people were annoyed that Tidus can come back, but I figure 1) Come on let Yuna have her dumb jock boyfriend back. 2) If you don't like it don't whistle for him on the Farplane and he stays dead.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The best part of FF4 is that Kain just keeps getting brainwashed/mind controlled and the party just KEEPS falling for it. It literally happens 3-4x over the course of the game. You’d think eventually the rest of them would go “well thanks for the offer to join us again but why don’t you sit this one out? You can wait on the ship.”

That was also the first game I played as a kid where playable characters you got attached to were horribly murdered including 2 small children they show up in the ending alive though

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

kain betraying you and then being forgiven over and over rules lol

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
FFX owns, but the gimmick of collecting 26 books to unlock a letter of the Al Bhed alphabet was p. dumb and Blitzball was not fun.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 15, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’ve played through FFX like four times and I’ve never once played Blitzball besides the mandatory game

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Blitzball owned wtf. I remember doing the whole league season (?) and winning it all for some limit break thing for Tidus

E: “dodge this erratically timed lightning bolt 200x without failing” - now THAT sucked

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Blitzball is great and it's also easy as hell to cheese if you're lazy

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

if you swim into your goal it breaks the ai and they wont do anything so you can score a single point and do that and win every time lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Frank Frank posted:

Blitzball owned wtf. I remember doing the whole league season (?) and winning it all for some limit break thing for Tidus

E: “dodge this erratically timed lightning bolt 200x without failing” - now THAT sucked

I never did that either but I did ace the Chocobo minigame every time

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

blitzball was fun but the motorcycle mini game in ff7 consumed hours and hours of my childhood

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if you swim into your goal it breaks the ai and they wont do anything so you can score a single point and do that and win every time lol

Ty if I ever play it again I will use this

I did not like blitzball

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

You can also swim in circles and get all 5 of the opposing team chasing you, it's pretty easy to waste the whole match like that after going up 1-0

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You can also swim in circles and get all 5 of the opposing team chasing you, it's pretty easy to waste the whole match like that after going up 1-0

brother is by far the most broken character in that minigame because hes like 10x faster than any other player and can just pull this off from square one, and probably get you the 1-0 besides

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
fond memories of getting jecht shot and recruiting brother and gaming nimrook off the psyches so i could have him and then mindlessly playing 10 hours of blitzball while listening to limewire video game osts so i could get wakkas stupid sigil

if they were smarter about sucking dumbass kids in they'd have made attack reels the final prize instead

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
DATTO
LETTY
KEEPA
and
dirty, disgusting Larbeight.
Larbeight was the worst one.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

they named the goalie keepa...

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
shoutouts to the butterfly minigame where the hitbox of each butterfly is completely unique to itself except the common factor of them all being 100x bigger than the sprites lol

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Blitzball is actually the funniest sports story ever told in a video game. You're the scrappy underdogs, the perennial losers that nobody expects anything from. classic setup, obviously you're going to rally the local boys and inspire them to play beyond everyone's expectations, stunning the rich preps at the championship!!

nah. the best, and really only viable strategy beyond exploits, is to boot all the losers off their hometown team and replace them with expensive foreign free agents

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Violen posted:

brother is by far the most broken character in that minigame because hes like 10x faster than any other player and can just pull this off from square one, and probably get you the 1-0 besides

For some weird reason I've been able to get jecht shot every time I played ffx so my strategy is just "immediate Tidus goal" but this works too lol

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

WarpDogs posted:

Blitzball is actually the funniest sports story ever told in a video game. You're the scrappy underdogs, the perennial losers that nobody expects anything from. classic setup, obviously you're going to rally the local boys and inspire them to play beyond everyone's expectations, stunning the rich preps at the championship!!

nah. the best, and really only viable strategy beyond exploits, is to boot all the losers off their hometown team and replace them with expensive foreign free agents

Ah, the Yakuza 6 baseball method

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they named the goalie keepa...

they made him play goalie because his name is Keepa, he's actually an awful goalie and the reason the Aurochs always lose

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

WarpDogs posted:

A team completely composed of ringers, huh? That does come with its own risks.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
God, I’m having flashbacks here but I actually felt bad about doing that so what I did was trade away all my players away except for one and bring in ringers to shoulder the load while my player improved, then trade to get my old players back one by one and slowly train them up (swapping out the ringers I brought in). They do actually improve over time if you’re really patient.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

WarpDogs posted:

I mean hey, it (kinda) worked in The Simpsons' softball championship episode, so why not, right? :D

But yeah, much like Pablo I never really played it much, when I went through FFX years ago. I should've given it more of a shot - not sure why I neglected it, really

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

ff9 got nothing but poo poo from nerds for like ten years after it came out so it warms my heart to see it appreciated

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Alaois posted:

they made him play goalie because his name is Keepa, he's actually an awful goalie and the reason the Aurochs always lose

iirc keepa becomes the best goal shooter in the game at max level

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

iirc keepa becomes the best goal shooter in the game at max level

yeah his Shooting stat starts at 1, gets to 9 at lvl 60, then by lvl 99 it's 99

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

a strange fowl posted:

ff9 got nothing but poo poo from nerds for like ten years after it came out so it warms my heart to see it appreciated

This thread reminded me that i should play it again and i forgot how much better it looks than ff8 despite both remasters going for the 'hi res objects on a sd background' vibe. Its also just such a lovely sounding game.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
im pretty sure every auroch becomes one of the better players but in a different position than wakka assigned which just makes wakka look like a lovely coach which is really funny

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
also the goers become garbage lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think 90% of the dislike for FF9 stemmed from that awful, awful PlayOnline Bradygames guide. Seriously

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Major Isoor posted:

But yeah, much like Pablo I never really played it much, when I went through FFX years ago. I should've given it more of a shot - not sure why I neglected it, really

We’re talkin Blitzball
Besaid to Macalania
Talkin Blitzball
Tidus will entertain ya

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

FFX owns, but FFX-2 is even better. If you don't like the proto FF13 style combat system (changing outfits/classes on the fly) then you're sub 90 iq.

You were likely also filtered by the opening sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2e4_XChGwA&t=70s

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ah Maechen, want Jecht to always love me

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I can never think of FFX-2 without thinking of my college buddy who picked it up on launch day and just... camped out playing it. When someone pointed out that he'd put 15 hours into a game that had been out for two days, his response was "what? That's only, like, a third of the hours."

Dude was a true hero

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

X-2 walked so Lightning could run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Pablo Nergigante posted:

We’re talkin Blitzball
Besaid to Macalania
Talkin Blitzball