Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The one thing I always really loved about rebels, in later seasons the outer space shots looked so great. Idk what it was, but the ship models looked fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Happy Doom Patrol Season 4 Day to everyone who celebrates

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Happy Doom Patrol Season 4 Day to everyone who celebrates

I was watching the recap of season 3 and man it went on forever and about 15 minutes into it I realized I wasn't watching a recap, I was actually watching season 3 episode 8

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This recap has its own end credits?!??!?!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I watched the first episode of What If. It wasn’t very good.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Gripweed posted:

I watched the first episode of What If. It wasn’t very good.

It's a very hit or miss show. At least it's not very long.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

SlimGoodbody posted:

It's a very hit or miss show. At least it's not very long.

I saw that the next episode was What If Tchalla was Starlord and I’m just like, what? Why would you even ask that question?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah, it was a cool enough episode but based on the most random premise that no one even asked for. What if T'challa was Sorcer Supreme would have made more sense than that. That being said I did like some of the subtle differences to the status quo that branched off from it.

Medullah posted:

I was watching the recap of season 3 and man it went on forever and about 15 minutes into it I realized I wasn't watching a recap, I was actually watching season 3 episode 8

I did this for season 2 I think.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 10, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gripweed posted:

I saw that the next episode was What If Tchalla was Starlord and I’m just like, what? Why would you even ask that question?

I think that’s better, though. The whole point of What If is to do weird poo poo that wouldn’t happen in the mainline universes, get nuts with it

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
What If swings back and forth between "What if this character took a left instead of a right?" and "What if this nonsensical thing nobody even thought about happened?" and I get if you want it to be all of one or the other, but I'm fine with them not limiting themselves. The comics sure didn't.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I will say with Doom Patrol I thought the monster butts in the first episode they were introduced but man, I'm already sick of them this season.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jamesman posted:

What If swings back and forth between "What if this character took a left instead of a right?" and "What if this nonsensical thing nobody even thought about happened?" and I get if you want it to be all of one or the other, but I'm fine with them not limiting themselves. The comics sure didn't.

The fun part of What If is when you realize where they're going with it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

mllaneza posted:

The fun part of What If is when you realize where they're going with it.

That's the other thing, S1 makes some weird choices but it's all going somewhere with it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Opopanax posted:

That's the other thing, S1 makes some weird choices but it's all going somewhere with it

Do they all take place in the same universe or something?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gripweed posted:

Do they all take place in the same universe or something?

Not quite

An Ultron gets the infinity stones and becomes multiversally aware and goes after Uatu. Uatu recruits all the characters from the season to help fight him

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Gripweed posted:

The episode is fine but the real answer is "Peter Quill straight up sucks" as the whole episode is just "T'Challa is the best and everyone loves him and he's already taken over the Ravagers and turned them into good guys."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

It's also the last we'll hear of Chadwick Boseman, so it's worthy of at least some respect for that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
like, how the actual gently caress do you not get the concept WHAT IF

THE CONCEPT IS IN THE TITLE FR gently caress'S SAKE

WHAT IF THE PUNISHER WAS VENOM AND ALSO AUNT MAY

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rhyno posted:

like, how the actual gently caress do you not get the concept WHAT IF

THE CONCEPT IS IN THE TITLE FR gently caress'S SAKE

WHAT IF THE PUNISHER WAS VENOM AND ALSO AUNT MAY

But that question immediately suggests interesting paths the story could take. What if Tchalla was Starlord feels completely out of left field and doesn't, to me at least, immediately conjure up interesting alternate timelines. And it's the second episode, after the first episode was What if a different person was Captain America, oh it turns out things would be basically the same.

I hope you can understand how the first episode and title of the second left me with not a lot of faith in the What If show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
My problem with What If in general is that the art style is bad. They're too devoted to making sure you see that everyone looks like their live-action counterpart. And I mean, I get it, the whole selling point of the series is "hey look it's the MCU including all your favorite actors", but like, that's what the voices are for. If I see Thor and recognize Chris Hemsworth's voice*, I don't have to see his exact face. This is just my opinion, but a real What If should have some more style. Perhaps even change styles from universe to universe?

And yeah I know that might have made the final episode where they all cross over weird if they're all clashing styles, but like... that's the point of the multiverse. And that's why Spider-Verse is better than the whole of What If and also Multiverse of Madness, thank you for attending my TED talk.

*side note: there's also the usual thing that hounds a lot of modern animated movies, some live-action actors just aren't great voice actors and it drags everything down with it

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 10, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gripweed posted:

But that question immediately suggests interesting paths the story could take. What if Tchalla was Starlord feels completely out of left field and doesn't, to me at least, immediately conjure up interesting alternate timelines. And it's the second episode, after the first episode was What if a different person was Captain America, oh it turns out things would be basically the same.

I hope you can understand how the first episode and title of the second left me with not a lot of faith in the What If show.

So you didn't like the first episode because it didn't change things enough, but you didn't like the second episode because it was too out there? What would be a good What If, in your mind?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Opopanax posted:

So you didn't like the first episode because it didn't change things enough, but you didn't like the second episode because it was too out there? What would be a good What If, in your mind?

Here's the thing, it's very important to the Captain America story that Steve Rogers was basically the best person ever even before the serum. They bring this up a lot in the movie, the serum brings out your inner qualities, and so on. So someone else becoming Captain America should have led to a different outcome. Hell, look at The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. John was by all accounts a perfectly good guy, but just the title of Captain America crushed him. In the particular case of Agent Carter becoming Captain America, a huge difference is that [i]she's not American!{/i] What happens if the First Avenger is British? Surely that should have some kind of ramifications, right? But the episode doesn't do anything with that. So if you have an episode based on the premise of what if someone else who isn't even American was Captain America, and it doesn't deal with the ideas of someone else not being as good or good in the same way as Steve Rogers, and doesn't deal with the idea of a different country getting the First Avenger, and everything ends up basically the same, then it feels to me like a tremendous waste of time.

As to the second one, as I said, "What if Tchalla was Starlord?" only elicits "What?" from me. Compare that to Rhyno's idea, what if the Punisher was Aunt May. That's a very interesting idea. Peter Parker is defined by his aunt and uncle, they shaped him into the man he became. It's literally his whole deal, "With great power comes great responsibility" But what if instead of Ben and May he had Frank? What does a Peter Parker raised by Frank Castle do with spider powers? It would take some insane contrivances to set that situation up, but that's the fun of What ifs. It is very out there, but it suggest an interesting story and crucially an interesting examination of these characters. What happens to Peter Parker with a negative influence instead of Uncle Ben, what happens to Frank Castle if he has a surrogate son. The characters as they are are more clearly revealed by portraying how they could have been.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 10, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did it because there’s a recent comic with a galactic Wakandan empire or something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
can't believe we're not talking about reformed Thanos who everyone groans at when he jokes about killing half the universe

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TwoPair posted:

This is just my opinion, but a real What If should have some more style. Perhaps even change styles from universe to universe?

They were going to do that initially, but didn't have enough money or time to pull it off. As it was they had to shift an episode to the second season to get the show finished.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What if T'Challa was Star Lord isn't as random as you're making it out to be. And you'd know that if you actually watched the episode before complaining about the concept of it. It's really "What if the Ravagers grabbed a kid on the wrong side of the planet?" The plot is still dependent on a single different action that changed everything we know. T'Challa becoming Star Lord is just the outcome of that choice. And if that's still too random for you this show is not for you and you should stop watching now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do agree with the live action actors being very hit or miss in the voice work, though. Boseman was really good, and probably would've been better if his health hadn't been as bad as it was. Bumbershoot Tumbleweed was pretty awesome, actually, and the fact that the 'what if Strange's love interest died' episode works as well as it does is almost solely down to his performance. OTOH, Hemsworth is kinda meh.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

X-O posted:

What if T'Challa was Star Lord isn't as random as you're making it out to be. And you'd know that if you actually watched the episode before complaining about the concept of it. It's really "What if the Ravagers grabbed a kid on the wrong side of the planet?" The plot is still dependent on a single different action that changed everything we know. T'Challa becoming Star Lord is just the outcome of that choice. And if that's still too random for you this show is not for you and you should stop watching now.

Yeah I didn’t like the first episode and found the premise of the second uninteresting so I stopped watching the show. I’m watching Andor now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My issue with What If...is more of a hang up but it just felt too tied in to the movies than interested in telling crazy out there stories. What if Star Lord was Black Panther is basically What if we cast someone different? I would have loved for it to go in crazy directions but it just didn't really commit to that for me at least.

Just watched the final Star Girl episode and I'm sad there won't be any more. It was just a fun straight forward show and I enjoyed it for its simplicity. The characters were all fully fleshed out and it felt nice and organic how everyone behaved. I also counted at least three backdoor pilots in this season which is kind of amazing for its hubris.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Johns did confirm in an interview that the Jade/Obsidian/Shade arc was a set up for a potential spin off. With the idea behind an Infinity, Inc show being that they would recruit other legacy heroes who were born with powers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
All those backdoor pilots were probably planned/scripted before the CW and WB started self-destructing and they thought they could actually make a new show

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
remember when Painkiller was gonna get a spinoff

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

remember when Painkiller was gonna get a spinoff

I didn't even remember Painkiller.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

I didn't even remember Painkiller.

i spend my days high and depressed so i only remember things that are total poo poo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gotham Knights will air March 14th, alongside the new season of Superman and Lois.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Gotham Knights will air March 14th, alongside the new season of Superman and Lois.

I’ll be impressed if it goes seven episodes

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Can't Zaslav work his magic on that one too?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also it sounds like the final season of The Flash is going to be used to close off the Arrowverse so we might get some conclusion to the Legends cliffhanger

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Also it sounds like the final season of The Flash is going to be used to close off the Arrowverse so we might get some conclusion to the Legends cliffhanger

The batting average on the Arrowverse is so terrible, but the highs were so high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

i wouldn't mine Amell showing up