Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

That is certainly a big yikes. I mean, totally unsurprising though. I actually wasn't familiar with the game, but as soon as I read that initial description I was thinking "well, that sounds like a game that would be super problematic if it wasn't done very carefully and with sensitivity."

This is my surprised face that it was not handled carefully and with sensitivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's four dudes in Eastern Europe, i'm not really surprised either. More surprised people were expecting more.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is Chernobylite any good? it's 42% off on GOG right now. Does it count as a survival game?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

redreader posted:

Is Chernobylite any good? it's 42% off on GOG right now. Does it count as a survival game?

Yes and not really.

e: It has survival elements but I wouldn't call it a survival game.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
How is Project Zomboid as a survival game? I mean, outside of the surviving against zombies premise, is there a decent survival against the elements game there as well? Could you turn off the zombies and have a fun peaceful challenge?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Deketh posted:

How is Project Zomboid as a survival game? I mean, outside of the surviving against zombies premise, is there a decent survival against the elements game there as well? Could you turn off the zombies and have a fun peaceful challenge?

You could, yes, though you might want to use the custom scenario to put your start date more September/October or use one of the starting scenarios that's about forever winter or something. The problem is that vanilla Zomboid frequently towards the mid to late game - when the character becomes combat capable - runs out of reasons for you to need to fear or worry about leaving your safehouse. You've got a good farm, you've got a store of food; why risk it? What things would you do if there was no enemy bashing down your door and you've got a farm going? What is the goal of the game; to survive to a date, to see all the sights?

You could have an interesting go of putting loot lower than even default such that you need to travel far and wide to get anything done, which then has you planning trips based on amount of food that'll stay good while you're out, rain and its effects on the character (getting sick), that sort of thing.

B42 (next major update) they're going into the farming system and changing things and possibly a new animal rearing system that is more in-depth, so if you're looking for just a survival game without the zombies, I'd personally wait to see how that shakes out. As it stands, farming is... odd though not off-putting. I like adding mods that allow things like food drying for food preservation as the vanilla food preservation methods are pretty lacking.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Deketh posted:

It would be extremely boring. There's a lot of parts to surviving but they're all balanced against going outside to find resources being dangerous due to the zombies. You'd basically end up combing the map for canned beans and dirt til you made a sustainable farm and then wandering in circles til your character went insane out of boredom.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Deketh posted:

Aside from surviving zombies, it's not too challenging from an environmental aspect. Things get cold in the winter, but it's not hard to survive with basic clothing and shelter. Currently, crops will grow anywhere at any time as long as there is water but that is supposed to change in the near future where crops will grow better during specific times of the year. Fishing has a very heavy penalty during winter but there isn't any ice formation or anything like that.

PZ is great for how customizable it is and map size and you could definitely do a zombie-less run, super low (.1x) population with long respawns, all the way up to 16x population (~2 million zombies) with no respawn. With the right mods, you can add in new clothes, vehicles, music, and even dancing as well.

We've got a thread out there for PZ, even if it's been really quiet lately: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011483

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Alright cool, thanks to you all. Not what I was hoping for but I'll keep an eye on its development and see what mods are adding and lurk in the thread for a bit

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Deketh posted:

Yeah I don't think you'd be able to turn off zombies for a fun peaceful challenge other than making food extremely scarce or something.

I guess depends on your ideal survival game. It's definitely not focused on survival where your main enemy is "the elements" like The Long Dark, Green Hell or Stranded Deep but it does have a lot of simulated survival elements. It simulates weight gain/loss, boredom (read books/eat interesting food to balance), stress (if you have the 'smoker' trait you get stressed when going to long without a cigarette) and basic medical system (cuts, lacerations, levels of bleeding, need to disinfect bandages, fractures, combining/cooking ingredients, foraging, trapping, fishing, weather (cold/heat/wet etc.).

The survival mechanics are probably the most in-depth I can think of when it comes to any similar game like 7 Days to Die, DayZ or The Forest, but much like those games, while you definitely need to focus on survival, the main threats still come from some sort of entities (zombies whatever) in-game along with survival pressures, but not survival pressures alone like TLD, Green Hell etc.

It's got a big modding community though so maybe there's some that up the survival factor (there's the Cryogenic Winter mod that makes it extremely cold for example) but not sure if any outright take out zombies.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Lemony posted:

To add to the giant pile of words I've already written on TLD, here are some things that don't appear to be intended to be in the DLC and that I'm also astonished are not already part of the game:

Snowshoes, both modern and crafted

A thermos, so you can carry hot liquids around

Pencils, because apparently those don't exist on Bear Island and you can only draw with charcoal

Binoculars or a monocular

An analogue wristwatch

A compass, complete with a loving overhaul of their maps so that cardinal directions are actually consistent zone to zone. This one could even have the cool side effect of the compass needle freaking out during aurora events

Hailstorms

Bear spray

Snow blindness, plus snow goggles and ski goggles

Camping stoves, using propane. These would make great rare loot and the presumably limited supply of propane canisters would prevent them from being overpowered

As someone who lives in the frozen north and has done a small amount of outdoors stuff, I frankly don't understand how all of the above wasn't part of the intended original design. Even now I feel like nothing on that list would be too hard to fit into the game.

If I'm getting really crazy:

So many buildings clearly have propane powered appliances. It would be neat if some of these actually worked, at least a until the non renewable propane runs out. Again, the fuel shortages referenced in the game mean that this would never be overpowered, because there wouldn't be enough fuel to last a long time. It could be a nice boost early game though, finding a cabin with a functional heater and stove that lasts for a couple of days.

Snow accumulation from all those blizzards. Add in several versions of snow shovels and the need to actually spend time and calories digging out certain doorways and such.

A complete overhaul of the medical subsystem to actually be a subsystem, instead of something pretending to be a subsystem. I don't want full insane grog mechanics here, but something with a touch more depth would be nice.

Fire temperature that actually checks nearby terrain. By that, I mean that placing a fire next to a rock face will reflect heat out realistically, while one out in the open is going to bleed a ton of excess heat. I'm genuinely shocked that fire and heat don't have more attention given to how they are implemented, given they're a huge part of what makes the game unique. Again, you don't have to get super granular, but more realistic behaviour would be nice. You can even include an in game survival guidebook to help explain how the system works without breaking versimilitude.

Large blizzards that are less frequent, but also much more impactful. Make them progressively more dangerous to be out in, particularly without good gear. Make them last multiple days and generate snow accumulation. Then build the game around a cycle of prepping for storms, then surviving them.

Overhaul wildlife and food consumption. I'd love to see wildlife behave a little more realistically and also be a little less common in most zones (again, I'm no ultra realistic grog here, it's a game and you probably still want to have an unrealistic level of wildlife density+some respawning). You could even make the predators a little more dangerous to compensate. Personally, I'd love to see animals actually be individually tracked entities that move around between zones. Deer might actually move through your current zone, providing you an opportunity to hunt them for meat and pelts but also bringing more predators with them.

Since there would be fewer overall animals in this system, a slightly lower rate of required food consumption would be nice. Even accounting for cold weather calorie burning, you eat a staggering amount of food in TLD in order to not starve. It would be nice if killing a deer was a bigger deal because of how long it will sustain you (again, no need to actually go realistic with it, where a single individual could probably live of a single deer for a long rear end time).

I imagine none of the things I just listed are even possible to program into the game at this point, much less likely to get implemented. A person can dream of their perfect survival game experience though.

TL, DR: A lot of words about how I really love The Long Dark, but also hate it and want to change everything about it.

so like what would be the challenge in this hypothetical re-work of TLD? its not really a difficult game, even on interloper

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Verviticus posted:

so like what would be the challenge in this hypothetical re-work of TLD? its not really a difficult game, even on interloper

Most of my hypothetical wish list really isn't aimed at making the game more difficult, or easier. One of the problems I find with many attempts to increase difficulty in a survival game is that the usual method is to just introduce more grindy bullshit in the name of "realism". I'm a big believer in trying to design systems that are fun/engaging and also give the feeling of realism. Or at least of plausibility within the fictional world that is being presented.

I don't have any huge concerns about the difficulty as it stands. It's easy once you know what to do and so long as you are careful, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It's just rewarding player skill and experience. I think adding optional challenges and fun content to see is more important. More things to interact with, more things to see, more things to do.

That being said, if I was aiming for making the game more difficult I'd probably focus on the weather ramping up in severity and duration. As it stands, one of the big ways the game handles the weather being worse at higher difficulties is by just making the weather more random and erratic. Lots more sudden storms popping up and so on. I would much rather see an approach to storms like I laid out before. Make the big storms more predictable, lots of indicators that one is coming in a day or so. Then make them big fuckoff monster storms. I'm talking whiteout conditions for multiple days. As you progress a survival game, make the storm temperatures drop drastically, make them include ice and hail that cause increased condition loss. Make it so that you really need to worry about stocking up on supplies, because you won't easily be able to go out to look for more until the weather clears. Then arrange it so that you need to use up more supplies, like firewood, to actually make it comfortably through the next storm.

This actually reminds me of something else I'd like to see changed: animals shouldn't be wandering around like normal during storms. I think it would be interesting if they all took shelter during bad weather. Either despawn them, or have ones like bears head back to their lairs. It would make bad weather have an interesting dichotomy. Do you travel in the storm because you don't need to worry about wolves, or are you concerned about freezing or damaging your gear. I think that would also work well with gear progression as well, better gear gets rewarded with the ability to traverse storms better.

Oh, and I also think that moose hide cloaks should be tagged to the accessory slot, rather than the torso. Right now there is exactly one optimal choice for your accessory slots. You put a moose hide bag in the outside one, then a set of ear flaps in the other (that way the bag takes the majority of condition damage, protecting the fragile ear flaps. Plus the bag is easier to repair and can soak a ton of damage). I'd really like to see more choices there. If scarves aren't going to get their own slot (which they should in my opinion) I think they should also go in the accessory slots.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Regarding Zomboid, I've not played it all that long total but I can't wrap my head around how zombie clearing or spawning works. I got used to games like Cataclysm, where you could secure a city block by methodically clearing out the houses, yards, and surrounding wilderness with a several day sweep, and then there'd basically be no zombies except the rare straggler or two wandering in from the edges. But in Zomboid, I'll kill all the zombies an area, step away for a minute, and when I come back there's an entire new zombie population there. Individual zombies don't get tracked, right? Because it feels like they're spawning back in on areas that I completely cleared out, and it's frustrating to get mobbed by a small horde that couldn't possibly have gotten to where they are.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Regarding Zomboid, I've not played it all that long total but I can't wrap my head around how zombie clearing or spawning works. I got used to games like Cataclysm, where you could secure a city block by methodically clearing out the houses, yards, and surrounding wilderness with a several day sweep, and then there'd basically be no zombies except the rare straggler or two wandering in from the edges. But in Zomboid, I'll kill all the zombies an area, step away for a minute, and when I come back there's an entire new zombie population there. Individual zombies don't get tracked, right? Because it feels like they're spawning back in on areas that I completely cleared out, and it's frustrating to get mobbed by a small horde that couldn't possibly have gotten to where they are.

I’ve always wondered this too, because my ideal zomboid settings would be something like “you can permanently secure a very small area - you can make less treacherous a larger one - you can very temporarily secure a large area.” I like the idea of strategically pulling hordes away or carefully clearing out patches that I can explore more freely. If I clear out my home area, it should stay relatively clear and fill in from my “borders” with new zombies. If I’m making treks to a nearby town and clearing that, I should be able to feel like I’ve had some effect if I dutifully worked to pull and clear zombies out of a corner of it. If I don’t return for some time, it should fill back in.

I think at some point I had sort of tuned in these settings but I’m not sure I played + observed carefully long enough to really say if I was happy with the settings I had. Ultimately it was maybe moot because if I survived long enough for that level of zombie thinning/returning to matter the game was approaching pretty boring anyway, per the usual mid/late game “solved survival” slump.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You can turn off respawns in the game rules when you're setting up which will get rid of the actual magic respawns

After that you've got what cromulent archer refers to as "zombie pressure". Zombies will spread to fill areas based on relative populations, i.e. if grid A has 200 zombies and you just killed all 200 in grid B, 100 zombies will shuffle as fast as their rotting legs will carry them to refill B. The more area you clear the slower that trickle will get. With respawns off you can also fully seal off an area with parked cars or tvs or other indestructible things and live in safety

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I wonder if a survival game in the vein of I Am Legend would be cool. Fully safe days to build and explore, vampire-like entities occupying houses as nests that need to be cleared out to make an area safer/ways to modify buildings to make them bad nesting sites. You'd have to make night time exceptionally dangerous to compensate, of course.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Isn't that basically 7 days to die with horde frequency increased

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Spanish Matlock posted:

I wonder if a survival game in the vein of I Am Legend would be cool. Fully safe days to build and explore, vampire-like entities occupying houses as nests that need to be cleared out to make an area safer/ways to modify buildings to make them bad nesting sites. You'd have to make night time exceptionally dangerous to compensate, of course.
I think there's a lot of really cool survival games you could make if you expanded the basic premise beyond "you're in a forest, chop down trees and make stone pickaxes" and got creative with it. IMO a big reason Subnautica got as big as it did is because it completely changed the setting and aesthetic. So a survival game set entirely within a ruined or abandoned city would be a great change of pace, focusing more on scavenging important resources than cutting trees and bashing rocks.

Even if it's just a really simple change to the cycle of safe/dangerous periods, it could make for a lot of interesting gameplay changes. How about a game where the sunlight burns and you can only safely go out at night, and day excursions are really risky and require special equipment? Or a game set by a flooded metropolis, where you scavenge all the waterlogged remnants you can on the soggy streets before the tide comes back in? Even basic genre turns like a more high fantasy/medieval fantasy survival game are all but ignored, it feels like.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 14, 2022

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Oh ya I would love a post collapse or wartime siege urban survival game. Like a 3D version of This War of Mine where you're not making stuff from scratch but rather cobbling together scavenged stuff. And when you're out looting you have to avoid significantly over powered military and militias (i.e. designed to be way too hard to engage).

Hell, just remake This War of Mine in 3D or isometric/whatever and make it an open persistent world.p

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Oysters Autobio posted:

Oh ya I would love a post collapse or wartime siege urban survival game. Like a 3D version of This War of Mine
Had you heard of Siege Survival: Gloria Victis?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Spanish Matlock posted:

Days Gone plays like this, but it is not a survival or building game. Worth picking up on the cheap though. There are tons of smaller infestations that are basically just a nest full of zombies to kill. You can hit them at night to have fewer zombies at home or go during the day and the nest will be more dangerous but the overland travel to get there is safer. Then there are giant hordes of zombies that roam the map, with an actual schedule where they go get water, then feed, then go home to sleep every day. Killing them can get pretty intense.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Zomboid’s zombie respawn is based on a “cell,” a grid system on the map. You can change the time taken from the last time a player went in that cell that a zombie can spawn. I think base level is two days. You can also change the amount of respawn if maximum population that’s allowed per respawn. You can even toggle whether they get the urge to migrate to empty cells.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

HelloSailorSign posted:

Zomboid’s zombie respawn is based on a “cell,” a grid system on the map. You can change the time taken from the last time a player went in that cell that a zombie can spawn. I think base level is two days. You can also change the amount of respawn if maximum population that’s allowed per respawn. You can even toggle whether they get the urge to migrate to empty cells.
It's cool that this is as tweakable as you say but personally I don't think it's intuitive, or that it translates well to actual gameplay, especially if you don't know it in advance.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

It's cool that this is as tweakable as you say but personally I don't think it's intuitive, or that it translates well to actual gameplay, especially if you don't know it in advance.

Oh it's not intuitive at all, I had to look up and consider things awhile before it clicked. I also played a decent amount of standard setting before discovering the interesting granularity of custom sandbox and thus haven't gone back.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nyaa posted:

+1 on this, it's pretty much This War Of Mine in a castle that is under siege, with you sneaking out during the night to get supplies and then building/repairing/trying not to get catapaulted during the day. It's a lot lighter of tone, def not a compedy game but not TWOM's very strong tone.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

HelloSailorSign posted:

Oh it's not intuitive at all, I had to look up and consider things awhile before it clicked. I also played a decent amount of standard setting before discovering the interesting granularity of custom sandbox and thus haven't gone back.

It’s worth bringing up that after you create the game a lot of settings are locked in, even if you change them by replacing or editing the server options file. That means you can’t go from 4x -> 1x without deleting the zombie*.bin files to force the game to regenerate the new spawn points and rules.

Doing so can be very entertaining, however, as you can find yourself suddenly surrounded by zombies where you had once cleared. I did a 4x -> 16x change this way and upon loading the game after that had to bulldoze my way through a few thousand zombies by the Rosewood gas station after that had been previously cleared.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Nyaa posted:

CuddleCryptid posted:

+1 on this, it's pretty much This War Of Mine in a castle that is under siege, with you sneaking out during the night to get supplies and then building/repairing/trying not to get catapaulted during the day. It's a lot lighter of tone, def not a compedy game but not TWOM's very strong tone.

Oh, interesting! Seems like a stealthy take on TWoM - I might need to check it out. Thanks!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

duffmensch posted:

It’s worth bringing up that after you create the game a lot of settings are locked in, even if you change them by replacing or editing the server options file. That means you can’t go from 4x -> 1x without deleting the zombie*.bin files to force the game to regenerate the new spawn points and rules.

Doing so can be very entertaining, however, as you can find yourself suddenly surrounded by zombies where you had once cleared. I did a 4x -> 16x change this way and upon loading the game after that had to bulldoze my way through a few thousand zombies by the Rosewood gas station after that had been previously cleared.

I've used this mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2670674997 to change settings in game, seemed to work fine but I haven't really changed major things.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

It's been ages, what made AO so worth reviving? I don't remember it being at all survival related so I don't see the Dune comparison here.

Anarchy Online is a game made by Funcom, and has a setting on a far away inhospitable planet in the future where a corporation colonizes the lands and battle locals for the ability to mine the world for notum, an extraordinarily expensive resource found only on that planet, whereas Dune is a game being made by Funcom and has a setting on a far away inhospitable planet in the future where corporations houses colonize the lands and battle locals for the ability to mine the world for notum spice, an extraordinarily expensive resource found only on that planet. I'm not saying anything about survival simulation, but the Dune trailer was posted in this thread, and the similarities seemed obvious to me. Maybe they will make an Avatar game next, lol.

Klaaz posted:

gently caress my heart jumped for a sec, i would pre-order AO2 in a heartbeat

:same:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Deketh posted:

Alright cool, thanks to you all. Not what I was hoping for but I'll keep an eye on its development and see what mods are adding and lurk in the thread for a bit

I got a kick out of this post, about keeping an eye on the development of Project Zomboid, a game that has been "in development" for over a decade, lol.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

Days Gone plays like this, but it is not a survival or building game. Worth picking up on the cheap though. There are tons of smaller infestations that are basically just a nest full of zombies to kill. You can hit them at night to have fewer zombies at home or go during the day and the nest will be more dangerous but the overland travel to get there is safer. Then there are giant hordes of zombies that roam the map, with an actual schedule where they go get water, then feed, then go home to sleep every day. Killing them can get pretty intense.

One thing I like about the hordes is that they're legitimately dangerous despite being comprised solely of basic vanilla zombies, by simple virtue of "gently caress that's a lot of zombies".

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Twenty Four posted:

Anarchy Online is a game made by Funcom, and has a setting on a far away inhospitable planet in the future where a corporation colonizes the lands and battle locals for the ability to mine the world for notum, an extraordinarily expensive resource found only on that planet, whereas Dune is a game being made by Funcom and has a setting on a far away inhospitable planet in the future where corporations houses colonize the lands and battle locals for the ability to mine the world for notum spice, an extraordinarily expensive resource found only on that planet. I'm not saying anything about survival simulation, but the Dune trailer was posted in this thread, and the similarities seemed obvious to me. Maybe they will make an Avatar game next, lol.

Funcom is representing it as a survival game, despite it being very likely to be an MMO instead.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Oh ya I would love a post collapse or wartime siege urban survival game. Like a 3D version of This War of Mine where you're not making stuff from scratch but rather cobbling together scavenged stuff. And when you're out looting you have to avoid significantly over powered military and militias (i.e. designed to be way too hard to engage).

Hell, just remake This War of Mine in 3D or isometric/whatever and make it an open persistent world.p

This just sounds like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to me.

You might dig Ice-Pick Lodge's Pathologic 2 even though it does not exactly match this description or this genre really. It definitely has an oppressive atmosphere where the city you are in is under "siege." It is a weird game but very good imo.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

caleb posted:

This just sounds like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to me.

Another version of STALKER would be amazing, yes. Gonna be awhile now unfortunately.

quote:

You might dig Ice-Pick Lodge's Pathologic 2 even though it does not exactly match this description or this genre really. It definitely has an oppressive atmosphere where the city you are in is under "siege." It is a weird game but very good imo.

Thanks! I'll take a look

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Oysters Autobio posted:

Another version of STALKER would be amazing, yes. Gonna be awhile now unfortunately.

Check out Stalcraft, it's a stalker MMO that just launched and it's really good. No survival elements though, it's kind of a tarkov-lite.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Zero Sievert is a 2D Stalker-esque game (p much the same setting) that ive been having a lot of fun with lately.

The only problem is its easy to kinda lock yourself into being forced to start a new game. You can quickly run out of food/water, not be able to buy any bc youre broke, and die of hunger/thirst before you can scavenge more.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kvlt! posted:

Zero Sievert is a 2D Stalker-esque game (p much the same setting) that ive been having a lot of fun with lately.

The only problem is its easy to kinda lock yourself into being forced to start a new game. You can quickly run out of food/water, not be able to buy any bc youre broke, and die of hunger/thirst before you can scavenge more.
I don't think you can die of thirst or hunger.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
The S.T.A.L.K.E.R modding scene also exists and I quite enjoy the lite survival aspects of the G.A.M.M.A pack for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Anomaly, tho I've tweaked it allot from it's base settings. Mags redux is like crack to me, god I love magazine management in games.

Most of the survival aspects from the gamma pack tho is the much expanded health system. Healing items are very diverse and can have a variety of side-effects, and having separate health pools for your overall health, and separate body segment health further complicates things. A bandage stops bleeding and can be used to help stabilize an injured leg, letting you run for a few minutes, but you'll need to take some heavier drugs to actually heal the leg damage, and those will make you dizzy, meaning you need to live with being dizzy for a few minutes, take more drugs with different side-effects to counteract that or break into your water supplies to help alleviate it quicker.

Playing with more limited carryweight makes setting out on an excursion and deciding what to bring with you a real gameplay feature.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 15, 2022

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Phigs posted:

My Grounded crashes every few minutes in multiplayer. It's apparently a somewhat common issue and has been for a very long time. Pretty disappointing.

Grounded had a 6 gig patch yesterday that seemed to be mainly for stability. We played three hours, most of it with four people, and had zero drops or lag issues. They specifically addressed the drop after death glitch in the patch notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I'm not sure if it's ever been mentioned in this thread, but the Fallout 3 Frost overhaul is a survival mod that has STALKER vibes. It takes place during the nuclear winter after the bombs fell, and pretty much the entire gameplay loop is budgeting your bullets to get yourself enough food and water while trying to keep your radiation exposure beyond lethal levels.