Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

TFW you threw a Moogle hella far without even trying:

https://files.catbox.moe/4f1ql3.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

If I have absolutely brutal (meaning, 'strong, about some of the happiest times in my childhood') nostalgia for FF7, but as an adult can't stand JRPGs, where does the remake fall for me?

It sure seems like it owns in a lot of ways by staying true to being weird and I desperately want to see it, but I'm worried I'd be better off just watching an LP or something because I just don't have the patience or desire to play JRPGs usually. This is the one time I would make an exception just because it hit such a weird nostalgia for me.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Play it, it's really good in its own right and obviously will also hit all your nostalgia buttons

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I am sure there is someone reading this who likes the sound of everything about X/X-2 except the English voiceovers, and I'm here to let them know the HD rerelease plus a mod will change that over to the Japanese voice work with subtitles. No idea why they didn't just include it as a toggle option.

I still prefer X to X-2 but that's because I prefer melancholy love stories to light-hearted adventures.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
ff7r is contemporary enough that you should give it a shot even if you bounce off the genre as a rule

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
You should get into JRPGs again because JRPGs rule

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Also I agree that 7r is very approachable if you've got any kind of warmth for JRPG stuff. They were thinking of and trying to directly appeal to people like you when they made 7r.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

elf help book posted:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Antivehicular posted:

I can never think of FFX-2 without thinking of my college buddy who picked it up on launch day and just... camped out playing it. When someone pointed out that he'd put 15 hours into a game that had been out for two days, his response was "what? That's only, like, a third of the hours."

Dude was a true hero

I think I had this exact conversation with people at work after my 4 days off of elden ring on launch week lol. I was like oh I'm only at 50 hours and they looked at me like I was insane.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ohtori Akio posted:

No idea why they didn't just include it as a toggle option.
IIRC licensing on Japanese voiceover work can get real weird and there are some situations where it's specifically not allowed to release it outside of Japan.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I just remember whatever version of ff9 I had being agonizingly slow so I don't think I gave it a fair chance.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Ohtori Akio posted:

Also I agree that 7r is very approachable if you've got any kind of warmth for JRPG stuff. They were thinking of and trying to directly appeal to people like you when they made 7r.

Yeah it owns and theres just enough depth to the real time combat to make it interesting even if youre a bit meh on jrpgs in general

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Veev posted:

I just remember whatever version of ff9 I had being agonizingly slow so I don't think I gave it a fair chance.

that's all of them, it always had a reputation for being really slow for battle stuff

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Alright I’m gonna fuckin buy ff7 remake.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

FFX owns, but FFX-2 is even better. If you don't like the proto FF13 style combat system (changing outfits/classes on the fly) then you're sub 90 iq.

You were likely also filtered by the opening sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2e4_XChGwA&t=70s

I heard this at my friend's house once and the Japanese version pops into my head every now and then. Real earworm for me

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Violen posted:

fond memories of getting jecht shot and recruiting brother and gaming nimrook off the psyches so i could have him and then mindlessly playing 10 hours of blitzball while listening to limewire video game osts so i could get wakkas stupid sigil

if they were smarter about sucking dumbass kids in they'd have made attack reels the final prize instead

i wAs so incredibly proud when i figured out that blizzball could be cheeesed, and promptly showed off to all my many friends all of whom had playstation playing the ff10. they were all duly impressed by my junk

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Alright I’m gonna fuckin buy ff7 remake.

SunhiLegend isn't representative of the typical gamer's experience, but they do demonstrate that FF7R is a jrpg you can make combo vidoes in
https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1503456038401548291

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It brings me no joy to admit i will probably just buy a ps5 for the second part of the ff7 remake when it comes out rather than wait for a pc release or whatever

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Alaois posted:

they made him play goalie because his name is Keepa, he's actually an awful goalie and the reason the Aurochs always lose
It’s the old playground football strategy of sticking the biggest, heaviest guy in goal

Doesn’t matter how good he is but he’ll stop more shots purely due to his size

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Keepa is ironically one of the best scaling shooters in the entire game.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

If I have absolutely brutal (meaning, 'strong, about some of the happiest times in my childhood') nostalgia for FF7, but as an adult can't stand JRPGs, where does the remake fall for me?

It sure seems like it owns in a lot of ways by staying true to being weird and I desperately want to see it, but I'm worried I'd be better off just watching an LP or something because I just don't have the patience or desire to play JRPGs usually. This is the one time I would make an exception just because it hit such a weird nostalgia for me.

It's fantastic and my only complaint is that Johnny feels like a JRPG Poochie, in that there's more of him than there needs to be.

My primary worry was that they were going to forget that Aeris is a hard-boiled slums girl and make her a damsel in distress, but to my absolute delight she swears and beats someone to death with a folding chair.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Kins posted:

IIRC licensing on Japanese voiceover work can get real weird and there are some situations where it's specifically not allowed to release it outside of Japan.
japanese voice actors are actually popular and have agencies and stuff so there's cases where the initial contract only covers release in japan and theyd have to pay them more to use the voice when releasing it outside of japan. its not really complicated or weird, more just them wanting more royalties.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the ff7 remake was awesome but the difficulty was really wonky in that normal mode is challenging but fun in most instances but impossible (for me, bad at games) for like two or three fights, but then easy mode is basically so easy that it's not even fun, like my toddler could beat it on easy mode and he can't even read.

however that's a relatively minor gripe, it's a great game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

lobster shirt posted:

the ff7 remake was awesome but the difficulty was really wonky in that normal mode is challenging but fun in most instances but impossible (for me, bad at games) for like two or three fights, but then easy mode is basically so easy that it's not even fun, like my toddler could beat it on easy mode and he can't even read.

however that's a relatively minor gripe, it's a great game

What fights did you have trouble on

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

elf help book posted:

I've started playing Valkyrie Profile. This rules, and the animations in the sprite art is gorgeous.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What fights did you have trouble on

fighting one of the turks (reno? i forget) in aerith's church and then the final stage of the very last boss fight.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

lobster shirt posted:

fighting one of the turks (reno? i forget) in aerith's church and then the final stage of the very last boss fight.

The secret to that Reno fight is to go into punisher mode and block/counter constantly

Macinirol
Sep 27, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

I remember having to drop the difficulty down to easy on that final stage, too. It was one of those fights where I was spending 95% of my time healing. Obviously there was something I wasn't really getting about the fight but I'm not sure what it was. Though it was really the only fight like that for me, Hell House was tough but that's because I only had one of the elemental materia and refused to restart the fight.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

That 1 on 1 Reno fight made me stop and realize wait a minute... this is just Kingdom Hearts. And then I replayed a bunch of Kingdom Hearts games after I finished FF7R.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A lot of people seemed to have trouble with Hell House but I thought it was fine. The boss that gave me the most trouble weirdly was the second Abzu fight

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a lot of my memories of the ff7 remake are hazy because it came out like right after my son was born so i was insanely sleep deprived the whole time. maybe i should play it again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That sidequest fight in the sector 5 slums where you had to fight the guys who chain sleep you completely wrecked me to the point I had to turn it down to easy for that bit

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FF7R ftw also the Yuffie DLC kicks rear end

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Heath posted:

I think she told Barrett to quit acting like a retard because he was tired from climbing 100 flights of stairs which is extra funny because she's clearly the most athletic and probably does it for fun

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the scene where zidane and vivi have a male bonding moment by pissing off a cliff together is why video games are art

In FF8 it turns out that the Guardian Forces that the party uses to do magic attacks cause long term memory loss through overuse. Irvine doesn't have the memory loss because he takes the GF out of his brain every night and doesn't put them back in unless they're about to fight. The rest of the party are assumed to have kept manifestations the of Quetzalcoatlus, Diablo, Doomtrain, and Shiva in their brain all day all night long. Just a fun irresponsible teen thing like contact lenses.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

KirbyKhan posted:

In FF8 it turns out that the Guardian Forces that the party uses to do magic attacks cause long term memory loss through overuse. Irvine doesn't have the memory loss because he takes the GF out of his brain every night and doesn't put them back in unless they're about to fight. The rest of the party are assumed to have kept manifestations the of Quetzalcoatlus, Diablo, Doomtrain, and Shiva in their brain all day all night long. Just a fun irresponsible teen thing like contact lenses.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
FF7 remake was incredibly easy when you figured out the combat system.

The final boss fight isn't hard, but it is over 40 minutes long including cut scenes and if you die, then you start over. It's not difficult, but it is difficult to finish without getting angry and giving up because you didn't get a checkpoint 20+ minutes in.

And almost all of the cut scenes in the boss fight are unskippable.

Someone obviously made it as a torture research project.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

elf help book posted:

That 1 on 1 Reno fight made me stop and realize wait a minute... this is just Kingdom Hearts. And then I replayed a bunch of Kingdom Hearts games after I finished FF7R.

kingdom hearts is so good. kh2 is maybe the best game ever

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

birth by sleep is up there as well

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

I got that PS4 complete collection for like $15 and been meaning to get into it but it seems like a pretty daunting series to dive into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCZs29IAu3c