Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol just imagining what would happen if taxes and what they went to were transparent and if it was easy to vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

Have you considered that TurboTax and others finance the campaigns of several senators and representatives though??

This is, as I understand it, the reason we don't have a national free e-file system either.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
lmao, if you got to allocate your taxes then for every "more roads and hospitals please" there would be a "I'll pay exclusively for the F-35s please and can we bomb something just to say we did?"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Then from there, let people choose & reallocate what they want, with the caveat that not paying for certain services means you won't get to use them (e.g. you can "opt out" of something like Social Security & keep the money/reallocate elsewhere, but that means forfeiting SS benefits).

The problem with that one is that people are howling morons and 99% of everybody who checked the box for "I don't want to pay social security taxes anymore thx" would not be using that money to prudently build themselves a retirement fund, and before you know it there are millions of retirees living under a bridge.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Look I just want the Defense Department to have to hold regular bake sales for their aircraft carriers and missiles so that tax revenues can go to an actual social safety network, is that too much to ask?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

Look I just want the Defense Department to have to hold regular bake sales for their aircraft carriers and missiles so that tax revenues can go to an actual social safety network, is that too much to ask?

Just phoned up my local congressman. They said "yes, yes that is too much to ask. Please hold for this festive christmas message by Messrs. Boeing, Lochkheed, Raytheon, and Martin."

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've never quite understood the fascination with regdates here for some people . It seems like the SA equivalent of Reddit's "cake days" thing.

It used to be fun but the older it gets the more depressing it is.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Heh, spoken like a typical 04

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I was actually thinking of something like this a couple weeks back. Basically overhaul our tax/IRS system so it's like the European countries who send you the info & basically say "do you agree? sign here".

what's btw the reasoning for this not already being done, if anyone knows?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Crespolini posted:

what's btw the reasoning for this not already being done, if anyone knows?

Turbotax lobbies against it, nobody lobbies for it.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's like 90% Intuit (they own turbo tax and a lot of money services) lobby a lot of money to have it not happen. Because having them be the default tax preparer makes them a lot of clams.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

It used to be fun but the older it gets the more depressing it is.

Hell, same.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I have the opposite problem in that every single day I'm alive is a little bit better than the one before it so that on any day you speak to me it's on the greatest day of my life.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Life has been progressively better since I replaced that T in my blood with E.

Have you all tried that? Its pretty cool

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I've never quite understood the fascination with regdates here for some people . It seems like the SA equivalent of Reddit's "cake days" thing.

this is such a 2022 regdate thing to ask. :rolleyes:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Aramek posted:

I have the opposite problem in that every single day I'm alive is a little bit better than the one before it so that on any day you speak to me it's on the greatest day of my life.

Being middle aged so far is awesome. I get to live with my best friend on earth. I get an excuse to avoid interacting with randos. Sometimes poo poo like last night happens where she's like "yo i grabbed some mango habanero wings" and I'm like "oh I was bringing a burrito home" and we combine them and create culinary perfection. We own furniture and a car not scavenged off the dumpster, and still make rent. Being middle-aged owns.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Captain Monkey posted:

this is such a 2022 regdate thing to ask. :rolleyes:

2017, actually! :eng101:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

RFC2324 posted:

Life has been progressively better since I replaced that T in my blood with E.

Have you all tried that? Its pretty cool

Glad you quit smoking tobacco. It's really bad for you. But I don't know that taking Molly all the time is better.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Imagine having a friend

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Atticus_1354 posted:

Glad you quit smoking tobacco. It's really bad for you. But I don't know that taking Molly all the time is better.

We be rolling rolling rolling

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Byzantine posted:

Imagine having a friend

Thats what all the drugs are for

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

fewer people should seek therapy

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Shibawanko posted:

fewer people should seek therapy

More people should seek therapy

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Everyone should seek therapy

You may have friends, family, and a wife/husband, but there is no one in your life with whom you have a relationship based solely around talking about you and your problems. In fact, depending on who you are, talking about your problems or being seen to have problems is the quickest way to nuke your existing relationships.

So yeah, get into therapy no matter who you are, even if you don't think you have any pressing issues

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Dec 14, 2022

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I remember a few of those, but keyboard goop is the really memorable one for me and I don't see it mentioned often.

TobleroneTriangular and "baquack obamailures" are the only memorable ones for me, although I'm sure that if there were some kind of '00s goon meetup, someone would bring up a bunch of others that would jog my memory, like a high school reunion or something.

edit: ooh, and mangosteen

edit2:

Manager Hoyden posted:

You may have friends, family, and a wife/husband, but there is no one in your life with whom you have a relationship based solely around talking about you and your problems. In fact, depending on who you are, talking about your problems or being seen to have problems is the quickest way to nuke your existing relationships.

So yeah, get into therapy no matter who you are, even if you don't think you have any pressing issues

:agreed:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Manager Hoyden posted:

How would that even work? You show up and they say "how can I help you?" and you say "I don't know". Then what?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Tiggum posted:

How would that even work? You show up and they say "how can I help you?" and you say "I don't know". Then what?

Then you say you have trouble focusing and get a prescription for Adderall, which you proceed to use recreationally.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

2017, actually! :eng101:

No.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Then they help you figure out some problems for you to suffer from. Anyone has the potential to be less happy if they're willing to work at it.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Gripweed posted:

Then you say you have trouble focusing and get a prescription for Adderall, which you proceed to use recreationally.

or you treat your ADHD with medicine like you should have been getting your whole life

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
2022: For the 38th year in a row Magic Man is two minutes too fuckin long.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

credburn posted:

2022: For the 38th year in a row Magic Man is two minutes too fuckin long.

Edge of Seventeen is a classic but the radio edit that cuts out the final verse is superior, imho.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

As much as I adore the full version, the radio edit of I Know I'm Losing You by Rare Earth is such a tight and perfect experience I actually like it more. It just loving cold open kicks the door in.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tiggum posted:

As someone in open ended therapy, on those days you don't have something active to work on you sit and chat for an hour. A decent therapist is usually pretty good at ferreting out the poo poo you don't even realize is bugging you.

Last time I showed up without anything specific I had to cut it short because I ended up sobbing so bad.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Also therapy doesn't have to be exclusively about "fixing", it works just as well at improving. Mental toolsets for managing stressors, identifying and addressing the space between you and your goals, etc.

Too many people think of therapy as something like physical rehabilitation when these days it's closer to going to the gym.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I would simply not require therapy

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

That's what I've been doing and it's working so far.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RFC2324 posted:

As someone in open ended therapy, on those days you don't have something active to work on you sit and chat for an hour. A decent therapist is usually pretty good at ferreting out the poo poo you don't even realize is bugging you.

Last time I showed up without anything specific I had to cut it short because I ended up sobbing so bad.

That sounds awful, why would anyone want that?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Gripweed posted:

Well, it's very expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Gripweed posted:

In many cases, the patterns of coping strategies prevent one from interacting with the world in a normal way. So it can be necessary to peel back some layers of psychological scar tissue, a process which is not pleasant but leaves you more flexible.