Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eels
Jul 28, 2003

Shootenanny

Brawnfire posted:

I remember a heated discussion where a kid in my class insisted on the centrifugal force thing "being obvious from observation" and my physics teacher was just more and more angrily making diagrams on the whiteboard, like you could detect the rising irritation in the resulting marks

My biology class had a similar situation where a girl said she was allergic to cold and the teacher spent the rest of the class distinguishing histamine response from cold response, while the girl shook her head and was like "doc told me I was allergic to cold". I don't remember what the conclusion was there, I think the bell ended that discussion.

She was right. Cold allergy is a real thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_urticaria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This isn't really a major revelation, but I kind of never bothered to actually think through the lyrics to the chorus of Eve 6's "Inside Out" and figure out whether or not they form a coherent thought, and I'm here to report that they do. Unsurprisingly, it's basically a very flowery way of saying "I'm angsty". He doesn't even have any pride he could swallow, and he doesn't even have any faith he could turn back to, so don't bother asking him to do that. (And, more straightforwardly, he would like to put his heart in a blender.)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

If it's such a common "mistake" that everyone uses it that way and everyone understands what each other means, it is not a mistake it is proper communication.

Usually when this happens, dictionaries add alternate definitions to cover the usage, but I can't find any.

fizzymercury posted:

Yeah but I thought it's the thing that's difficult to understand and not the thing that isn't understanding which is how I misuse obtuse.

I gotta stop using words I heard once in a Dollop podcast.

This is confusing the hell out of me to parse but I think you're correct?

By way of example: Federal tax law is abstruse. A person who thinks they found "one weird trick" to not have to file federal taxes is obtuse.

KillHour has a new favorite as of 16:21 on Dec 14, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Eels posted:

She was right. Cold allergy is a real thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_urticaria

This is infinitely more satisfying. Take that, you dipshit old bio teacher! Stick to the Krebs cycle!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

KillHour posted:

Usually when this happens, dictionaries add alternate definitions to cover the usage, but I can't find any.

This is confusing the hell out of me to parse but I think you're correct?

By way of example: Federal tax law is abstruse. A person who thinks they found "one weird trick" to not have to file federal taxes is obtuse.

An extremely quick google shows merriam-webster has it as an alternate definition at the very least.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

An extremely quick google shows merriam-webster has it as an alternate definition at the very least.

Hmm, you appear to be correct. Anyways, this came up when I used it that way a few months ago and my partner was like "uh...no that's wrong" and when I looked it up I felt literally crazy.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Conversations like this are why my high school encouraged me not to take the SATs.

I found out this morning that my husband thought Chet Atkins and Eric Clapton are the same guy until he met me. I'm very confused.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fizzymercury posted:

Conversations like this are why my high school encouraged me not to take the SATs.

I found out this morning that my husband thought Chet Atkins and Eric Clapton are the same guy until he met me. I'm very confused.

If it makes you feel better, I have no idea who Chet Atkins is either.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jwTD89Ry28

Eric Clapton wishes he was Chet Atkins.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Organza Quiz posted:

If it's such a common "mistake" that everyone uses it that way and everyone understands what each other means, it is not a mistake it is proper communication.

The fluidity of language is something I hate. I depend on rigid rules to communicate with others, but the rules of language are only really strongly adhered to in academia. In actual communication with human beings, whether or not a word is being misused is entirely dependent on how wide the misuse is -- or, frustratingly, how well one knows the broadness of the misuse. I know this is perhaps an obnoxious example, but when something is "literally" something, it means it is either literal or the opposite of literal, and you only know by inferring from the context or by knowing the person using the word. I suck at inferring anything, so most of the time this word means nothing at all to me. It's not infrequent that someone will say a word to me, a word I only really know one definition of, but because of YouTubers / TikTokers / Television shows / Something funny Ye said / A meme, it means something different but until I am made aware of it, I look like an idiot.

Yesterday a friend of mine said something was "based," to which I understand as meaning "grounded." Nope! Doesn't mean that at all! I was told it means the opposite of "cringe," which I know as a verb, but it is not a verb!

I know what anthimeria is and I know it's a useful tool with which to communicate, and it's also not like a new thing. But to use it effectively, all parties involved need to be on the same page. To make a point, I used a turtle as an example. A turtle (n) is slow. An old lady crossing the street might turtle (v) across the street. That's mostly understood just fine. But to say that woman is turtle (adj) -- well, now that just sounds dumb, even though it follows the same rules as all this other bullshit :mad:

\/\/ I've never heard this term used this way until yesterday \/\/

edit: I'm 38 :(

credburn has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Dec 14, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You don't know Based? What are you like sixty

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

I think you just murdered credburn

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Young people change what words mean so they can laugh at old people who complain about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DlTexEXxLQ

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

KillHour posted:

Young people change what words mean so they can laugh at old people who complain about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DlTexEXxLQ

Oh man, this whomps

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Gaius Marius posted:

You don't know Based? What are you like sixty

Yes, I am. I didn't know what it meant either.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I still don't.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This thread is praxis

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It exploded and spilled George Takei's tea?

E for content: the person who came up with the joke about "chess nuts boasting in an open foyer" probably intended the American "foy-yerr" pronunciation rather than "foy-yay"

Phy has a new favorite as of 03:58 on Dec 15, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
'Hemi', 'demi' and 'semi' all mean 'half'* but they arrived in English via Greek, Latin and French, respectively. Real obvious in retrospect but I just never thought about it before.

* They meant 'half' originally but their current usage varies, 'semi' is often used to mean 'partially'

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Dec 15, 2022

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

'Hemi', 'demi' and 'semi' all mean 'half'* but they arrived in English via Greek, Latina and French, respectively. Real obvious in retrospect but I just never thought about it before.

* They meant 'half' originally but their current usage varies, 'semi' is often used to mean 'partially'

I guess this makes sense for why a hemi-demi-semiquaver is what it is, and it's cool that it uses all of them to make it clearer than semi-semi-semiquaver would be.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Phy posted:

It exploded and spilled George Takei's tea?

E for content: the person who came up with the joke about "chess nuts boasting in an open foyer" probably intended the American "foy-yerr" pronunciation rather than "foy-yay"

Foy-yay is pure pretension, people get caught up trying to pronounce the yay "frenchly" and don't realize they gently caress up the entire first half of the word.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Or maybe enough people pronounce it that way, and are understood, that it’s also correct.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Maestro posted:

Or maybe enough people pronounce it that way, and are understood, that it’s also correct.

Yeah, it's cool to know 'foyer' is pronounced 'foyer' by "smart" people. But still, descriptivism rules and prescriptivism drools.

If a student in you class axes you a question maybe don't be a total rear end in a top hat and derail your own stupid lecture to fix them. You know drat well what they meant.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Epic and pwned were stupid, based and cringe are currently stupid, and I am eagerly awaiting Gen Z to hit 35 or so and go "what the gently caress were we thinking" while rolling their eyes at whatever stupid poo poo Gen A will inevitably come up with.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
e: I can't believe I just figured out how to shut the gently caress up and stop posting rambling bullshit

credburn has a new favorite as of 10:04 on Dec 15, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That took me years. Sometimes I even avoid it before hitting "post", but rarely.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Gaius Marius posted:

Foy-yay is pure pretension, people get caught up trying to pronounce the yay "frenchly" and don't realize they gently caress up the entire first half of the word.

nah*. it's kind of like arguing that nobody says bourgeois correctly because they only hit the last syllable.

this kind of thing generally goes oddly in American English. my favorite example is Vallejo: it ends up being valleho and not bayjaho. we picked one thing to follow.

or the kind of folk etymology that turns chaise longue into chaise lounge, even by people who say they get mad at that kind of thing.

*but I've never heard anyone say foyay in American English except incredibly sarcastically.

credburn posted:

I know what anthimeria is

I did not. gracias.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I can't believe that these teenagers, who have (one presumes) grown up speaking English, are describing pizza -- pizza fresh from the very oven, mind you -- as being cool

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Empty Sandwich posted:

*but I've never heard anyone say foyay in American English except incredibly sarcastically.

I have literally never heard it pronounced any other way and it took me a while to figure out what the gently caress you people were talking about

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I've heard both pretty regularly though foy-er is more common.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

"Renumerate" isn't a word.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

FO-yurr is American English and fo-YAY is how it's pronounced in Canada. Similar to how "niche" in America is nitch and in Canada is neesh. Canada tends to lean further into French pronunciation for obvious reasons.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The Moon Monster posted:

It's in the dictionary though

e: oh gently caress

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

To me (:australia:), fillet and foyer are pronounced how they look. Saying them like they rhyme feels like a hyperforeignism.

E: just looked on Wiktionary, and I'm right about fillet but wrong about foyer (etymologically speaking).

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I wanted that one to catch on

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The Moon Monster posted:

See: remunerate

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
i GREET MY GUESTS IN THE LOBBY sorry caps was on

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

impossiboobs posted:

FO-yurr is American English and fo-YAY is how it's pronounced in Canada. Similar to how "niche" in America is nitch and in Canada is neesh. Canada tends to lean further into French pronunciation for obvious reasons.

who the gently caress says nitch? I’ve never met anyone that knows the meaning but not the pronunciation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I've heard it both ways here in the ol US