Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son, who has generally not been sleeping through the night AT ALL since august, has had three nights of solid, uninterrupted sleep. im waiting for the other shoe to drop...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

lobster shirt posted:

my son, who has generally not been sleeping through the night AT ALL since august, has had three nights of solid, uninterrupted sleep. im waiting for the other shoe to drop...

but the noise from it might wake him up :ohdear:

(hope it lasts)

stump collector
May 28, 2007

kecske posted:

it's been three years and I'm still doing this

same

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

you ever think about how you used to be a real human, with time to pursue interests and hang out with friends and stuff

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

bitmap posted:

you ever think about how you used to be a real human, with time to pursue interests and hang out with friends and stuff

Nah, but I do think about how all the dumb poo poo I did before kids was pretty meaningless for the most part.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Organic Lube User posted:

Nah, but I do think about how all the dumb poo poo I did before kids was pretty meaningless for the most part.

:hmmyes:

I also think about how my kids are great little excuses to not attend all kinds of obligations I didn't used to enjoy.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

bitmap posted:

yup. it helps if I don't define it as 'real human' but more recognize that like the transition from college - work I just have different responsibilities. Also my wife and I are making an effort to give each other more alone time, like "this saturday morning I've got the kid you go do whatever the hell you want" and trade off.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Organic Lube User posted:

the one thing I remember from before was we had these napkins that were super unruly so every time we washed them I would set them aside and iron them flat along with my handkerchiefs.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Benagain posted:

Also my wife and I are making an effort to give each other more alone time, like "this saturday morning I've got the kid you go do whatever the hell you want" and trade off.

Yeah we need to do more of this

E: we as in "my wife and I" not "I'm Benagain's wife"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Scene: I'm playing Kirby's Epic Yarn for my 2-year-old.

ME: And that's enough for tonight!
2YO: Maybe we can play some more Kirby after nap?
ME: It's bedtime soon, actually, not nap...
2YO: Maybe we can play some more Kirby after bed?
ME: Well. You see. After bed, you'll wake up, and it'll be morning. It'll be a whole new day.
2YO: *bursts into tears*

mood tbh

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my wife put presents under the tree today which i thought was very nice but my son had an extended meltdown instead of eating dinner because he wanted to open the presents. definitely gonna put the presents away tonight lol

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Microplastics posted:

Yeah we need to do more of this

E: we as in "my wife and I" not "I'm Benagain's wife"

Can you watch my kid so we can overlap?

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Lmao just tried to show kid 1 how I shave and nicked my neck and blood started FLOWING and he is distraught. I hate shaving so it's not often I do and thought it would be a fun thing. NO!

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

bitmap posted:

I am haunted by this. I used to get a lot of fulfillment from art, so today I bought some arts and craft stuff to make something and got kid 1 the kid version of the same stuff. I got air dry modeling clay and he got oil based stuff that doesn't dry out.

There are some parents down the street that are setting up a community studio and we will prob try to hang out there.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

bitmap posted:

One good thing about having a second kid is that we can go all division of labour and I can take him to the pub and he just sleeps instead of climbing all over the place like the 2 year old

bitmap posted:

I'm not American. I didn't leave him in the back seat of a Subaru in some Idaho strip mall carpark. Don't yell at me again.

where do u live, i kind of want to live in a walkable place with a local again instead of a north american hellburb

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

lobster shirt posted:

my wife put presents under the tree today which i thought was very nice but my son had an extended meltdown instead of eating dinner because he wanted to open the presents. definitely gonna put the presents away tonight lol

yeah I do t put anything out until like 2 days before because the temptation is too great.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

mila kunis posted:

where do u live, i kind of want to live in a walkable place with a local again instead of a north american hellburb

I live in ireland op, its a nice place to bring up kids :)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

sonatinas posted:

yeah I do t put anything out until like 2 days before because the temptation is too great.

You could put some decorative empty presents under the tree to make it look nice. Please note that I haven't thought this through.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Microplastics posted:

You could put some decorative empty presents under the tree to make it look nice. Please note that I haven't thought this through.

Learning to anticipate activities and items that will generate havok or mess and then avoiding them is like 90% of parenting.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Microplastics posted:

that does not stop a kid from freaking out and wanting to open them lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

overall so far i would rate the experience of having to care for a newborn and a toddler at the same time as a 2/10

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Night 1 Christmas tree area looks welcoming and wonderful.

Night 2 Christmas area is torn up, knocked down, and ripped apart by a pincer attack coordinated between baby and dog.

Night 3 Christmas area has incorporated all baby containment gates and fenses to look like a cheery baby fort knox

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

overall so far i would rate the experience of having to care for a newborn and a toddler at the same time as a 2/10

I am seriously dreading it but at least I won't have to go to work until baby is old enough to sleep-train

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

loquacius posted:

I am seriously dreading it but at least I won't have to go to work until baby is old enough to sleep-train

if you/your spouse have a good enough relationship with your/their parents i would strongly recommend asking one of them to come stay with you for a few weeks. my mother in law is here and it is so helpful lol. she rocks.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Learning to anticipate activities and items that will generate havok or mess and then avoiding them is like 90% of parenting.

Alternatively you can just learn to live in the middle of chaos and shambles. Many approaches.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

bitmap posted:

god drat kid 2 is a demonic goblin and life is trash

so scared thisll be our 2nd, as our 1st is inexplicably happy and giggling all the time idk if im rdy for hard mode

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Our daughter is a happy, cheerful, loving kid, and she's also increasingly 2 years old and getting 2er all the time

lately everything is a struggle and a wrestling match. I was getting her ready for her bath, she had a surprise poop in her diaper, and she ran and hid naked in a corner rather than letting me wipe her butt, and I was like, yup this is 2

She was a (relatively) easy baby too so obviously I am ready for the worst-case outcome with the second one

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nocturtle posted:

Alternatively you can just learn to live in the middle of chaos and shambles. Many approaches.

Please don't doxx me.

black.lion posted:

so scared thisll be our 2nd, as our 1st is inexplicably happy and giggling all the time idk if im rdy for hard mode

Generally, it's the third one that is the hellspawn. Our first two were pretty easy going and low maintenance. The third requires constant vigilance as he is robustly curious about his universe. He laughs in the faces of both danger and his long-suffering father.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Elissimpark posted:

Generally, it's the third one that is the hellspawn. Our first two were pretty easy going and low maintenance. The third requires constant vigilance as he is robustly curious about his universe. He laughs in the faces of both danger and his long-suffering father.

I dread the thought of toddler demon being the chill one. He's a tornado of fury. We got him a bunk bed to repurpose his toddler bed back into a crib. Thought we'd leave the ladder off for now so we wouldn't have to worry about him falling off the top. Nope we were incorrect and he still climbed up on the top bunk. Safest course of action was leaving the ladder on so he can easily climb up or down. This was also the same kid who, at 9-10mo, climbed from bed to changing table, jumped off, and bit a hole through his lip.

He's a crafty jerkbag too. His solution to the baby gate was to loosen the sides so the gate just pops open. Can't help but be proud of his toddler brain.

He's gonna get two baby sisters any day now. Wife's ready to be done with twin pregnancy. Hopefully these intermittent contractions turn into the real deal quick.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have one kid and I like kids and Im happy my friends who want more than one kid are able to have them but after wrestling my child into clothing and desperately attempting to get her to eat anything this morning I am reaffirmed in my one and doneness.

After carrying her screaming to daycare she turned around and said "bye daddy! I love you!" With a beaming smile so that made me feel better at least.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Mustached Demon posted:

He's gonna get two baby sisters any day now. Wife's ready to be done with twin pregnancy. Hopefully these intermittent contractions turn into the real deal quick.

yaaay happy day, ready to welcome the symmetrical progeny!!!

and early congrats to your wife on the much awaited eviction of both tenants

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

KirbyKhan posted:

Night 1 Christmas tree area looks welcoming and wonderful.

Night 2 Christmas area is torn up, knocked down, and ripped apart by a pincer attack coordinated between baby and dog.

Night 3 Christmas area has incorporated all baby containment gates and fenses to look like a cheery baby fort knox

lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

a cheery baby heist on cheery baby Fort Knox sounds like it could have been a Rugrats episode

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Grandma is out the house today so me and toddler are pigging out on post-lunch Animal crackers. This is fine to eat for toddlers, they come in a bucket and contain the least amount of sugar a cookie could contain before it gets classified as hard tack.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ikanreed posted:

Actually, I feel like that's cause and effect reversal. I personally think that a lot of post partum depression comes from social expectations of instant love for babies and that that's not necessarily normal.

And so you get to feel guilty and overwhelmed all at once. Because no one in your life is willing to say "oh yeah you have a lump of fragile meat, but it gets better" to you.

Good point.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

He's a crafty jerkbag too. Can't help but be proud of his toddler brain.

I feel you.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

bitmap posted:

man you can really get a sense of who had passions pre-kid by the replies

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
god I miss Passions

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lobster shirt posted:

i have owned myself by posting this because he woke up once two nights ago and twice last night. rip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Love that every babysitter I've ever found is either great and super reliable but is going to college out of state in 2 months, or they're super professional right up until the moment they no call no show loving up another date night.