Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

General Dog posted:

Why is this supposed to be my problem

“gently caress them workers” - GD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Grant Wahl may be dead in Qatar.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, something happened.

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1601391578916212736

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AsInHowe posted:

Grant Wahl may be dead in Qatar.
The gently caress?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grant Wahl is rumored to have collapsed at the Argentina-Netherlands game, and possibly passed away.

First note: It’s still only rumored and not confirmed by any news outlets or (as far as I can tell) other press members, either published or on social media.

There is a Instagram reel from his brother suggesting he has passed and that foul play may be involved. Wahl has been at the World Cup and has been publishing to his subscriber newsletter, and even in the last two days has been writing about the hard topics that surround this World Cup.

We don’t know yet what has happened, so I’d really, really want to avoid speculation or discussion on that until there’s confirmation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I saw some posting that he was at the last World Cup game today and then died after that. I guess we'll wait for official confirmation but it doesn't sound good.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Twellman tweeted out two broken heart emojis

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

A few others in that sphere are vagueposting that I saw. I hope it’s not true, but worried it is.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Confirmed by NPR

https://twitter.com/rdlewis/status/1601399736560680960?s=46&t=flp31FobL9XQybv9kCOcYQ

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
And now confirmed by US Soccer

https://twitter.com/ussoccer/status/1601401947692863489?s=46&t=flp31FobL9XQybv9kCOcYQ

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

terrible

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Oh man :( I met him in Seattle after a USMNT game years back and he was super nice and very gracious. This sucks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

loving hell. Absolutely tragic for his family and friends, and definitely a loss for US soccer :smith:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is all incredibly suspicious. Not to say that people don't sometimes just keel over from a heart attack or something, but for a guy who had been repeatedly challenging the Qatari government during the World Cup to just die like that feels like foul play.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, and I'm not exactly able to trust the Qatari government's autopsy.

This sucks.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Somewhat crossposting from TRP. I generally have a hard time believing in nefarious actions in deaths like these, but this is one of the few times where that's not the case. I'll hold back on throwing out blind accusations, but there's a lot of smoke around this and I wouldn't doubt there's a fire there.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Reading the articles about his death, apparently he was both....

A) Working himself so hard trying to accommodate US time zones while in Qatar that he wasn't feeling well and believed he'd come down with severe bronchitis

B) The subject of numerous death threats in recent days, according to his brother

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

He died in the most American way, by working himself to death.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

drat

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
His wife is an epidemiologist so if there’s even a hint of something suspicious with regards to his health, I imagine she will raise the alarm.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grant Wahl’s wife has been on TV in the U.S. and revealed the cause of death as an aortic aneurysm. Aorta in his heart just went, and it’s the sort of thing that’s both painless and impossible to plan for.

A reminder just how short and precious life is, and hopefully puts some of the early worries about source of death to bed.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
That’s the sort of thing that even if it happens while you’re lying in a hospital bed surrounded by doctors, you’re still dead.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Would it surprise anyone to know that the anti-vaxxers have latched onto Wahl's cause of death?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

Would it surprise anyone to know that the anti-vaxxers have latched onto Wahl's cause of death?

Yep, beat me to it. King Ghoul Alex Berenson is all over it despite doctors telling him there is no conceivable way that the vaccine could cause what killed Wahl.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
They were already all over it before the cause of death was released.

Would it surprise you to learn that the anti-vaxxers will try to fit ANY high profile death to fit their agenda? Whether it makes a lick of sense or not?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think they do this with every single celebrity death now. Just a way for them to cope after being wrong about them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mahoning posted:

They were already all over it before the cause of death was released.

Would it surprise you to learn that the anti-vaxxers will try to fit ANY high profile death to fit their agenda? Whether it makes a lick of sense or not?
Yeah almost immediately they were like ‘vaccine killed him’

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Was he in other fights with them about vaccines or are they going after any notable vaccinated person?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

The X-man cometh posted:

Was he in other fights with them about vaccines or are they going after any notable vaccinated person?

It’s literally anyone notable that dies. Go to twitter and search their name and you will find anti-vaxxers claiming it was because of the vaccine.

That DJ that worked on the Ellen Show died by suicide yesterday and they’re out there claiming it was the vaccine.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The X-man cometh posted:

His wife worked on the COVID advisory board for Biden and he’s been vocal

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Mahoning posted:

That DJ that worked on the Ellen Show died by suicide yesterday and they’re out there claiming it was the vaccine.

“Clearly his suicidal depression was a side effect of the vax” - Dunces

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

morestuff posted:

His wife worked on the COVID advisory board for Biden and he’s been vocal

It’s more than just that, sadly.

This is also not on the topic. Gonna have to go check some of Wahl’s older articles in the SI archive, not just his soccer work but also that first cover article on LeBron.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Elon purging a ton of journalists off Twitter. Keith Olberman is gone. Only sports related one I’ve seen, but don’t be surprised if your favorite journalist disappears overnight.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

Elon purging a ton of journalists off Twitter. Keith Olberman is gone. Only sports related one I’ve seen, but don’t be surprised if your favorite journalist disappears overnight.

he says it's because they've posted "assassination coordinates," aka the location of his plane, which is legally protected publicly available information.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Keith Olberman is gone.

gee what a shame

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Got a 50% off offer for Defector, which got me subscribed for the year. That's a rarity, but the sub-$5 I feel is a better place for them. My Athletic cheap-subscription is ending so good timing.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
it’s understandable why folks hate analytics when the Sports Leader puts out poo poo like this

https://twitter.com/bburkeespn/status/1604290151630327808?s=46&t=rgjaZ45u7FSokWwuCz0uBA

https://twitter.com/bburkeespn/status/1604299043278098432?s=46&t=rgjaZ45u7FSokWwuCz0uBA

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I tried to interpret it from the lens of "its first down" so: no poo poo you don't kick a field goal, but why is getting 2 yards better than getting 5?

When you know what it means its fine but its not intuitive and the guy going JUST FIGURE IT OUT ITS EASY look like an rear end

And frankly even with it having been explained to me I still have to think about it a little

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Love to have an incredibly vague graphic that can have multiple interpretations, and then get mad at people for point out how terrible it is when they can’t figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I can't parse it at all