Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Create a Pop Sensation/Wannabe A Pop Star?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Wow, so this brought back a memory of a game that my middle school had in its computer lab.

It would have been roughly 1995 or so, and it might have been on the PC but was probably on a Macintosh. This was an edutainment game that had, among other mini-games, a tool that let you create a music video using pre-created songs, samples, and animated dancers. There were several music genres you could pick, such as rock, rap, or electronic, and you could select different dancers to do moves in your music video. One dancer was a guy with parachute pants and no shirt, and another was a short stocky person who looked like an old school break-dancer. The music was effectively just MIDI audio, and you could trigger samples and change dance moves by clicking on buttons as the song played. When you were done, you were allowed to "save" the completed video and re-play it for your parents or teacher or whatever.

Googling this is harder than I thought.

Edit: I found it, it's called Lenny's Music Toons.

Cidrick fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 7, 2022

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

That's it, that's the one. Well done

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Old news but there's an LP of Albion on the archive

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Very good hint. I'm not ready to actually play a mid-90s CRPG by myself, but it's nice to see somebody (PurpleXVI) who knows and enjoys the game to show it and highlight it's strong points.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm trying to remember a game that:

- Was out on consoles and PC
- Probably between 2000-2010
- 3D, probably third person
- Set in a prison, I believe it was abandoned, or at least the history of it featured
- It had a boss that was to do with executing people in a gas chamber, like he was the ghost of the executioner or something?
- Had some enemies that had big green syringes stuck in them

Does that ring any bells?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

- Set in a prison, I believe it was abandoned, or at least the history of it featured
- It had a boss that was to do with executing people in a gas chamber, like he was the ghost of the executioner or something?

The Suffering

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

The Suffering?

https://youtu.be/EieWQSf8U0Q

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Yes, that was it - thanks.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUVrImXZHvA&t=81s

What arcade game is that in the background?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

G-LOC: Air Battle

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I was hoping this would civvie's video. Good job.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Around 2009 or so I played a top-down game on the Adult Swim website. It was kind of like Enter the Gungeon visually, but you're in hell and the main characters/villains were real dictators like Pol Pot. I think there might have been a weapon for every letter of the alphabet? I've tried looking it up on Google, but I can't find it.

vv That's it!

Spermando fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 6, 2022

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Spermando posted:

Around 2009 or so I played a top-down game on the Adult Swim website. It was kind of like Enter the Gungeon visually, but you're in hell and the main characters/villains were real dictators like Pol Pot. I think there might have been a weapon for every letter of the alphabet? I've tried looking it up on Google, but I can't find it.

Viva Caligula in Hell, the sequel to Viva Caligula

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

freeware side-scrolling auto-scrolling platformer circa 2000 where your choice of characters is three different low-res photographed guys on "carts" (they're like two different handcarts and a hydraulic car jack)

called like "super cart jumper" or "super cart racer" or something like that

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

PS1 era, pretty sure an action rpg where the battles are these like kinetic side scrollers - you jump and slash real time, not via selecting commands. It was definitely 2d pixel, not 3d models.

The only other thing I remember is the main character had a like Mana-series art style but a bit more exaggerated and kid like. Maybe the main character had big blue hair (styled like Fire Leo from Kirby All Star) but a kind of small angry human-look and a sword.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Crazyweasel posted:

PS1 era, pretty sure an action rpg where the battles are these like kinetic side scrollers - you jump and slash real time, not via selecting commands. It was definitely 2d pixel, not 3d models.

The only other thing I remember is the main character had a like Mana-series art style but a bit more exaggerated and kid like. Maybe the main character had big blue hair (styled like Fire Leo from Kirby All Star) but a kind of small angry human-look and a sword.

Tales of Destiny or one of the other 2D Tales games depending on actual platform and year

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Sakurazuka posted:

Tales of Destiny or one of the other 2D Tales games depending on actual platform and year

Holy moly - thanks! Every now and then I’ll have this memory and google keywords and I guess Tales of Destiny never popped up. Tyvm!!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Hello thread, I have been wondering about a game I half-remembered being in a playstation magazine I had many many moons ago. All I can really remember about it was that there it was a mission or level based game, definitely not an arena based multiplayer game or anything like that, though it might have had 2P duels? And there were a bunch of different characters to choose from, but all of them were on bikes of a sort. Maybe hover-bikes? I don't really recall. But all combat was done through heavily armed bikes or at least vehicles. One character's special attack was Twist and Shout, and I'm sure most of the other characters had music references to them as well. You would occasionally encounter the other playable characters as bosses in the levels, I think?

Sorry, I know that's not a lot to go on.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Hello thread, I have been wondering about a game I half-remembered being in a playstation magazine I had many many moons ago. All I can really remember about it was that there it was a mission or level based game, definitely not an arena based multiplayer game or anything like that, though it might have had 2P duels? And there were a bunch of different characters to choose from, but all of them were on bikes of a sort. Maybe hover-bikes? I don't really recall. But all combat was done through heavily armed bikes or at least vehicles. One character's special attack was Twist and Shout, and I'm sure most of the other characters had music references to them as well. You would occasionally encounter the other playable characters as bosses in the levels, I think?

I mean that should narrow it down a bit, check This list

E: that sounds familiar actually, did it have a similar art style to Sable?

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 20, 2022

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Opopanax posted:

I don't remember too much about the graphical style except it definitely being 3D, the primary colour scheme being yellow and black as far as I remember, and some levels having big square lava pits you had to drive around. I think it was just your typical PS1 blocky 3D but I don't want to commit to it definitely being PS1, could be early PS2, but that feels wrong to me.

Conceptually it's so close to Twisted Metal with Armored Core's gameplay structure. But on bikes.

I looked through that list and a few other similar games lists but nothing seems familiar. I really hope I haven't "Evil Farming Game"'d myself into dreaming of something that didn't ever exist.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MarquiseMindfang posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnJcen4Fohw

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

MarquiseMindfang posted:

It wasn't Jet Moto was it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUaBZ-SA1dA

There's hover bikes but they're not armed, other than the racers kicking the crap out of each other.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Jet Moto was definitely my initial guess, although I can't remember anything about character-specific special attacks.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I've never actually played it but speed power gunbike?
https://youtu.be/TvuSDaO4qqc

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I'm trying to remember a point and click game on windows, might have been in the mid 90s. All I remember is you need to solve some puzzles or something then you unlock the next part and venture deeper into the planet, like one layer deeper. Except it's not like regular earth caves, each layer is like a different biome. I think one layer had rays of sunlight, another had lava.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I'm trying to remember a point and click game on windows, might have been in the mid 90s. All I remember is you need to solve some puzzles or something then you unlock the next part and venture deeper into the planet, like one layer deeper. Except it's not like regular earth caves, each layer is like a different biome. I think one layer had rays of sunlight, another had lava.

Torin's Passage, maybe

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

IMJack posted:

It wasn't Jet Moto was it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUaBZ-SA1dA

There's hover bikes but they're not armed, other than the racers kicking the crap out of each other.

No, it definitely wasn't a racing game.

field balm posted:

I've never actually played it but speed power gunbike?
https://youtu.be/TvuSDaO4qqc

This is really close but it was a bit more grungy looking, and this was Japan exclusive, and I definitely saw a full walkthrough in a UK playstation magazine.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cyber Sled, maybe?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Torin's Passage, maybe

Yeah, holy poo poo that's it! Thanks!!

edit: hell yeah it's on GOG, time to see if it holds up to my terrible memory

AlphaKeny1 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 20, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
NES game (or possibly early mega drive), side on view, a shoot em up kinda like r-rype but you controlled a person, I think your bullets flashed between red and blue and I have a distinct memory of a level with an orange background and these guard tower things you had to fly over

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Forgotten Worlds? Burai Fighter? Abadox? Legendary Wings? S.C.A.T.?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's this top-down, hyperviolent stealth/action game, a bit like Hotline Miami or Jydge but with more abstract graphics, that was in previews a few months back. The trailer had an AI who says "The way you kill people gets me so hot :)" or something. What's it called? Is it still in production?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Many years ago, when a 500 mhz computer was considered fast, I used to play a deer hunting game that I cannot recall the name of (it wasn't Deer Hunter). I'd kind of like to track it down so I can see just how dated it looks and plays.

What I remember about it:

The weapons were rifles and shotguns. A large bore revolver was in the game but you had to do something special to access it.

The game did not track ammunition.

If you fired your weapon for no reason, the game would taunt you with phrases like "you're scaring the deer" and "you're wasting time and ammunition".

The game predated WASD. You moved with the arrow keys, and had to hit Spacebar to bring out your gun (at which point you could mouse-aim).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gnoman posted:

Many years ago, when a 500 mhz computer was considered fast, I used to play a deer hunting game that I cannot recall the name of (it wasn't Deer Hunter). I'd kind of like to track it down so I can see just how dated it looks and plays.

What I remember about it:

The weapons were rifles and shotguns. A large bore revolver was in the game but you had to do something special to access it.

The game did not track ammunition.

If you fired your weapon for no reason, the game would taunt you with phrases like "you're scaring the deer" and "you're wasting time and ammunition".

The game predated WASD. You moved with the arrow keys, and had to hit Spacebar to bring out your gun (at which point you could mouse-aim).

Trying to think of the oldest Deer Hunting type games (that don't track ammo and are not Deer Hunter) I can think of, and "Redneck Deer Huntin'" (weirdly part of the Redneck Rampage franchise) is just about the oldest I can recall that's not some primordial hunting game for the Atari or something. Did it look like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYp-BI6eXKI

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

One of the Rocky Mountain Trophy Hunter games? I can't remember if it tracked ammo but it definitely had revolver hunting.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Opopanax posted:

Ok now I can't think of the name of this one and it's bugging me. It would have been out within the last 2-3 years, I feel like it was indie and was on multiple systems. Kind of cel-shaded, main character has some kind of futuristic motorbike and like an afro or just big hair.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

An Amiga shmup along the lines of R-Type that never actually released until recently-ish on Steam. Has very Amiga spritework. Just can't remember the name, and tag-based searching on Steam is terrible.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

MonkeyforaHead posted:

An Amiga shmup along the lines of R-Type that never actually released until recently-ish on Steam. Has very Amiga spritework. Just can't remember the name, and tag-based searching on Steam is terrible.

Shenandoah

Edit: 1993 Space Machine on Steam

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Thanks! aka 1993 Shenandoah, aka 1993 Space Machine. Weird.