Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

ChubbyChecker posted:

why wouldn't they have written the edicts in the rulers' language?

I don't think the Mauryans spoke Greek? These edicts were markers of Mauryan authority, not Greek.

Deteriorata posted:

Invaders typically coopt the local elites, imposing the conqueror's culture and language on them. These gradually filter down to lower levels of society. Just how far depends on how long the new rule lasts. Peasants tend to stick to their own language and culture regardless of what the big shots are doing for a long time.

I know this in general, I was trying to see if anyone had any information regarding this specific place and time. If it's the same as you've written, then question answered, but this is a generalized response not particular to northwestern south asia circa 250 BCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

skasion posted:

Just keeping warm would have been only part of your worries though: winter in ancient Rome was Tiber-flooding season and you had every chance of being hella drowned and becoming an anonymous part of one of those “destructions of property and life” that Tacitus will find a way of blaming on Tiberius.

Seems like an issue that would be much less of a problem if you lived in a Roman high-rise apartment; at least if you lived above the first floor and the building didn't collapse.

Elissimpark posted:

I often wonder how much of this kind of knowledge has been 'lost' because of industrialisation. Why does it matter which way your house faces when you can just press a button to warm or cool it?

Modern architecture is more likely to use these principles NOW, but you can see heaps of houses built between, say, 1900-2000 that are badly situated or built inappropriately to take advantage of the sun.

The art of knapping, strategically chipping rocks to make tools, had largely been lost in Europe for a while until it was relearned from native Americans (who still relied on it because they never mastered metallurgy).

I think there's a lot of things that we know the general principles for, but just there's not that many people who need to do it regularly for a living, so it's less likely that we'll have many hobbyists who can really reach a level of mastery. And there are some things that can't be done as easily as a hobby that are easier to lose.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Seems like an issue that would be much less of a problem if you lived in a Roman high-rise apartment; at least if you lived above the first floor and the building didn't collapse.

Big if. I have to imagine a lot of these collapses were caused by lovely buildings suffering repeated water damage that was never properly fixed because it hadn’t fallen down.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Judgy Fucker posted:

I don't think the Mauryans spoke Greek? These edicts were markers of Mauryan authority, not Greek.

I know this in general, I was trying to see if anyone had any information regarding this specific place and time. If it's the same as you've written, then question answered, but this is a generalized response not particular to northwestern south asia circa 250 BCE

Then why do you think the central Asian Greek states would be any different?

Of course they spoke Greek. That's what invaders do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Bactrian_Kingdom

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Because not everything is the same everywhere throughout history?

Judgy Fucker posted:

Doing some reading wikipedia last night about the Mauryan rock edicts, and it mentioned a few in the western regions of the Empire were written in Greek. I know of the Hellenistic states succeeding Alexander in what is now Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc., but had always assumed that the "Greek" nature of these states was largely limited to a very small ruling elite.

When the Mongols conquered China they didn't impose Mongolian culture on the population--the cultural pressure went the other way. Same with the Qing, just as examples. I was trying to figure out exactly how "Greek" these parts of South Asia were. However, this bit in the Wiki article you linked answers my question about the prevalence of Greek in the region at that time:

quote:

Greeks first began settling the region long before Alexander conquered it. The Persian Empire had a policy of exiling rebelling Greek communities to that region long before it fell to Greek conquest. Therefore, it had a considerable Greek community that was expanded upon after Macedonian conquest.

Instead of being condescending you can try reading a bit more thoroughly and not overgeneralize an answer to someone's question.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
accurate username

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Much like how Normandy currently speaks Norwegian, I assume.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

spontaneously learning greek through divine revelation as i help napoleon destroy the holy roman empire

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Jamwad Hilder posted:

accurate username

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Much like how Normandy currently speaks Norwegian, I assume.

The Norse didn't invade and conquer Normandy. They were granted it by Charles, in exchange for leaving Paris alone.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
How ancient history are we talking, I have questions about East Slavic folklore dating to between presumably roughly 1000 CE and 1400 CE and Wikipedia is a little unclear.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Ask away. Someone might now. We cover all sorts of history in here and your timeline overlaps with the Roman Empire so go nuts.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“Normal” people were probably speaking Greek In north east “India” or else Ashoka would not have bothered making one and putting it in a public space

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's all Greek to me

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Alrighty, so basically so as I understand it, Koschei the Deathless and the other associated characters, etc are all commonly seen as "Russian folklore" but the folk tales and surrounding mythology was compiled in the modern era, but I also understand that these stories are much older, stemming from slavic mythology originating at least during the period of Kyivan Rus' which obviously predates the modern Russian state or the Russian Empire by hundreds of years? Would it be accurate to say that just because a particular folklore/story regarding Koschei might've been popularized and published in modern times during the Russian Empire, and is commonly associated with Russian culture doesn't mean it is only specific to Russian culture but can also be said to be a slavic figure from slavic folklore shared by other slavic cultures?

Apologies if I am phrasing this weirdly; but my thinking here is by analogy, Perun is clearly derived from Thor, who is Norse. So it could make sense in the context of writing a story or drawing fanart to mix and overlap elements of either depiction?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Raenir Salazar posted:

Perun is clearly derived from Thor, who is Norse.

I think you mean that Perun and Thor are both likely derived from the Proto-Indo-European weather / supreme god, as Zeus / Jupiter seem like closer fits than Thor. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkwunos

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ulmont posted:

I think you mean that Perun and Thor are both likely derived from the Proto-Indo-European weather / supreme god, as Zeus / Jupiter seem like closer fits than Thor. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkwunos

Sure, as that helps my argument. :haw:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's so obvious!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Arglebargle III posted:

It's so obvious!

the folks that carry these are called lictors cuz they lick them

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/CSMFHT/status/1605479188932071424

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
what's the Roman version of Marine Todd?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Who was that guy who, when tried for corruption, stripped naked to show the wounds he'd suffered fighting for Rome? Closest thing I can think of.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Phryne?

(Joking, but it's a similar story.)

Cessna fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 21, 2022

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Who was that guy who, when tried for corruption, stripped naked to show the wounds he'd suffered fighting for Rome? Closest thing I can think of.

There’s an anecdote about Augustus where one of his veterans asked Augustus to represent him in court and Augustus tried to politely fob the veteran off on a lawyer buddy of his. The veteran then gave this awesome line about how when it was his job, he didn’t send substitutes to battle for him but went and did the work himself, and whipped out his scars. Augustus took the case.

And then Quintilius Varus’ three eagles flew onto the Capitoline and shed a tear on Jupiter Optimus Maximus

skasion fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 21, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Imagine being a lawyer and your opposing counsel is the emperor.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm imagining it being POTUS right now and its very funny tbh.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

The anecdote doesn’t record how the trial went, understandably since anyone could guess the result but also unfortunately since it must have been hilarious.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Washington defused a coup with a similar appeal

“Gentlemen, you will permit me to put on my spectacles, for I have not only grown gray but almost blind in the service of my country.”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

*scuffs dirt with boot* well geez, drat, we can't coup now

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Brawnfire posted:

Literally what happened. The angry officers got all teary-eyed and left.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That whole thing was comical because the Continental Congress was stiffing a lot of these guys because they didn't want some kind of permanent military that could stage a coup or something. :ironicat:

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Much more civilized than that of Finnish fascists trying a coup in the 30's and their great revolution ending with President Svinhufvud politely asking the rebels to go home and the leadership taken into custody blind drunk. Other than one guy who did the Hitler thing way before Hitler and killed himself after seeing what a clown show the whole thing was. Pretty typical for our far right now that I think about it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you tried to coup, failed, and then didn't commit seppuku than you ain't poo poo.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Glah posted:

Much more civilized than that of Finnish fascists trying a coup in the 30's and their great revolution ending with President Svinhufvud politely asking the rebels to go home and the leadership taken into custody blind drunk. Other than one guy who did the Hitler thing way before Hitler and killed himself after seeing what a clown show the whole thing was. Pretty typical for our far right now that I think about it.

You left out the part where a sizable portion of them did not surrender for three days, and one segment had to be besieged by the army in a moderately sized town whose phonelines they had cut and railroad stations seized until they surrendered and were allowed to slink back to their homes.

I'd say what is most typical of our far right is how they never get more than a slap on the wrist for the poo poo they try.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Gaius Marius posted:

If you tried to coup, failed, and then didn't commit seppuku than you ain't poo poo.

(Looks at GOP.)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Donald committing seppuku but he can't go all the way so Roger Stone whacks his head off with BUDK katana.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Tory PM Alec Douglas-Home was staying near Aberdeen in 1964, when a couple of students turned up at the place he was staying, and told him they were here to kidnap him. He replied, "I suppose you realise if you do, the Conservatives will win the election by 200 or 300." They had not in fact considered this, so he gave them a couple of drinks, and they left.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Freudian posted:

Tory PM Alec Douglas-Home was staying near Aberdeen in 1964, when a couple of students turned up at the place he was staying, and told him they were here to kidnap him. He replied, "I suppose you realise if you do, the Conservatives will win the election by 200 or 300." They had not in fact considered this, so he gave them a couple of drinks, and they left.

happy ending

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Freudian posted:

:britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Judgy Fucker posted:

When the Mongols conquered China they didn't impose Mongolian culture on the population--the cultural pressure went the other way. Same with the Qing, just as examples.

This perspective is a favorite of historical Chinese historians but it’s really not this cut and dry, the cultural pressure very much went in both directions. Yuan cultural practices lasted generations into the Ming — the Yongle emperor explicitly went on a campaign to suppress it and replace it with Chinese culture, which involved a lot of vaguely informed making things up because Mongol cultural influence meant things were absolutely not the same as they had been before their invasion.