Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Diephoon posted:

Keep in mind that a Vet gets +50% ranged damage for pressing F and it has a really low cooldown. It also can have a really high uptime and give you even more damage depending on which level 30 feat you take. Your gun can roll + damage to specific types too. +20% flak damage does a lot of work against shooters, for instance.

Also Plasma pierces rails and other terrain much better than Voidstrike, IIRC

I just bought one for my vet so I'll give it a try. Still, it almost sounds like 'yet another reason vet is better than psycher'. I'm surprised I didn't see more buffs to non-voidstrike staffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Not being able to skip the intro videos and screen before was bad enough. Now you have to hold space to skip the video, lol.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
I haven't seen any of the new weapons on my zealot or ogyrn in the shops. I'm really hating the inability to craft weapons right now

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Angry_Ed posted:

I mean, weird change but VT2 does the same thing.

It's just funny that the complaint was having to push two different buttons to bypass the intro videos so they made it the same button but you have to hold the first one which makes it weirdly inconvenient in a different way. Also does VT2 make you skip another screen after skipping the intro before it actually loads into the game (which also takes an unusually long amount of time)?

Estel
May 4, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

I mean, weird change but VT2 does the same thing.

At least in VT2 you could use a mod to skip the videos.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Estel posted:

At least in VT2 you could use a mod to skip the videos.

Can you delete the video file in your hdd? Some games will skip the video if it can't be found (others will crash, so i'ts a question of knowing which of the two).

Is the update on gamepass to or only steam for now?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

VT2 also takes too long from launch to gameplay but that's not an excuse for Darktide to do it. I don't think they did it for verisimilitude but the change is so baffling that I wouldn't be surprised if that's it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Often not being able to skip intros is part of the contract they sign with those companies. So it's possible they got told off by one of them so changed it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nice

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Fatshark playing 5d chess to get us to see the new settings toggle

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh poo poo, I think "Player Outlines" might be new too? I remember wanting a "teammates always have outline" option like VT2 and didn't see it there before.

edit: Oh yeah this is definitely new

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 15, 2022

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I just bought one for my vet so I'll give it a try. Still, it almost sounds like 'yet another reason vet is better than psycher'. I'm surprised I didn't see more buffs to non-voidstrike staffs.

Probably because other than possibly Trauma, they really don't need them. Voidstrike stands out because it can do it's job the moment you get one even with middling rolls, but then you end up with a Purgation staff with high rolls and realize the limitations of Voidstrike in 4+, and how the only thing it really brings to the table compared to flames is the ability to suppress packs at a distance. Which is good, but not as good as you might think.

Meanwhile Surge, while abysmal against hordes, is excellent against everything else and brings a level of control over high threat targets that you literally can't get with any other weapon in the entire game.

I have a near-perfect Voidstrike staff and I barely ever use it, because it's also the staff with the least hard carry potential when poo poo really hits the fan and the choices you've made matter.

Don't make the mistake of trying to run purgation with the abysmally bad soulblaze feats though.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

!Klams posted:

I mean, this right here, is honestly the biggest perk on any gun I've had so far.

I SWEAR the Vet has an innate hidden passive where he can summon an Ogryn in front of him just by lining up a headshot.

Having played my Vet to 30 now both in pubs and with goons, this doesn't hold true at all- every motherfucker regardless of being Ogryn or Human sized will jump on front of you as you line up an important killshot during volley fire on a sniper or bomber or something just so they can shoot at the horde or melee that one pox walker that got ahead of the pack.

Yes, even if I'm standing off to the side lol.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Zealot with braced autogun's got this handled, dont worry.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

My big pet peeve is people strafing back and forth in place as if they are in melee, while we're in a firing line. There are no enemies nearby and virtually no return fire, why are you dodging back and forth directly in front of us while magdumping and missing half your shots?

Also annoying are people who sprint around the combat arena during lulls, not to search for items or anything, but just because the idea of spending 5 seconds standing still and waiting for the next wave is abhorrent. So unless I also sprint with them along whatever random direction their drug-addled brains choose, I'll be out of coherency

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Does plasma gun shoot through allies. My recent experience playing a vet suggests that if I want to hit anything, rather than just hit my ogryns back, that the ability to "pierce" allies is very valuable

Hra Mormo posted:

Meanwhile Surge, while abysmal against hordes, is excellent against everything else and brings a level of control over high threat targets that you literally can't get with any other weapon in the entire game.

I have a near-perfect Voidstrike staff and I barely ever use it, because it's also the staff with the least hard carry potential when poo poo really hits the fan and the choices you've made matter.

Yeah this. The clutch ability to zap a mutant or dog out of the air, or easily stagger multiple ragers, is so good on surge, I have trouble using anything else

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 15, 2022

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

big cummers ONLY posted:

My big pet peeve is people strafing back and forth in place as if they are in melee, while we're in a firing line. There are no enemies nearby and virtually no return fire, why are you dodging back and forth directly in front of us while magdumping and missing half your shots?

Running at an angle to enemies makes them miss as I recall, there's some reason to move while returning fire

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hra Mormo posted:

Probably because other than possibly Trauma, they really don't need them. Voidstrike stands out because it can do it's job the moment you get one even with middling rolls, but then you end up with a Purgation staff with high rolls and realize the limitations of Voidstrike in 4+, and how the only thing it really brings to the table compared to flames is the ability to suppress packs at a distance. Which is good, but not as good as you might think.

Don't make the mistake of trying to run purgation with the abysmally bad soulblaze feats though.

I just made a really fun voidstrike that kills all horde type enemies in t4 with a big aoe and extra damage, while supressing enemy shooters around you. I just wish I could get the quell perk on it too, but maybe one day.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rerolling perks costs less the more times you do it, which is odd but kind of nice that the price doesn't go up with repeated attempts.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

Does plasma gun shoot through allies. My recent experience playing a vet suggests that if I want to hit anything, rather than just hit my ogryns back, that the ability to "pierce" allies is very valuable

If it doesn't you can also reposition. Annoying but if VT2 is any indication, you are never going to stop encountering teammates with whatever fungal infection makes you want to stand in the line of fire

Running at an angle to enemies makes them miss as I recall, there's some reason to move while returning fire

I specify "virtually no return fire" in my example. Like the amount of return fire where you will take less damage if you just stand still and line up your kill shot vs having a seizure and executing a ten-foot stretch of wall

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 15, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

explosivo posted:

Rerolling perks costs less the more times you do it, which is odd but kind of nice that the price doesn't go up with repeated attempts.

Yeah, when I saw that note in the community update I
was pleasantly surprised. At least there's slightly more forgiving.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Admittedly my psycher is only level 20 now so maybe high level staff rolls will change my mind. At the moment though, voidstrike definitely seems far more effective than the others.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think having played Ogryn first has given me extreme patience when it comes to people getting in my way while shooting as a Veteran. poo poo's going to happen, it's usually not possible to be out of everybody's way at the same time, I just move over slightly and keep firing if my view gets blocked or someone's in the way. At least that means I know there's a body between me and the enemies.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Yeah this. The clutch ability to zap a mutant or dog out of the air, or easily stagger multiple ragers, is so good on surge, I have trouble using anything else

I just blap dogs at range with the psychic grenade from the voidstrike. Stagger and a hefty bit of damage. Ditto explodey boys. The only thing the voidstrike doesn't work on that would be handy is mutants.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Also annoying are people who sprint around the combat arena during lulls, not to search for items or anything, but just because the idea of spending 5 seconds standing still and waiting for the next wave is abhorrent. So unless I also sprint with them along whatever random direction their drug-addled brains choose, I'll be out of coherency

The latter half of both paragraphs is kinda weird and aggressive but I can at least answer the first one: learned habits from faster paced PvP FPS games like Apex, speaking from personal experience. I actually stopped using the Camo feat on my Vet because I'm so used to A-D strafing from Apex that it's muscle memory at this point and basically get no benefit from the feat unless I'm actively thinking about using it which is not happening during hordes or shoot outs lol.

Sounds like a bad player if they're mag dumping and missing shots, especially on a horde tho.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

purgatus staff isn’t bad, per se, but its weakness is the same as a flamer on a zealot where you can’t hit anything beyond spitting distance. in theory you could brain burst to make up for it, but brain burst itself isn’t that great. meanwhile with voidstrike you’ve got horde clearing AND range. maybe purgatus edges it out in total horde clear potential but it just doesn’t make up for voidstrike’s all in one package imho

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

purgatus staff isn’t bad, per se, but its weakness is the same as a flamer on a zealot where you can’t hit anything beyond spitting distance. in theory you could brain burst to make up for it, but brain burst itself isn’t that great. meanwhile with voidstrike you’ve got horde clearing AND range. maybe purgatus edges it out in total horde clear potential but it just doesn’t make up for voidstrike’s all in one package imho

It also doesn't help that I have a hard time gauging the actual range of the purgatus primary fire and apparently there was a bug on the secondary where if you short charged it it just whiffed? I was suspicious that was the case but thought i was making excuses for being bad.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Turin Turambar posted:

Can you delete the video file in your hdd? Some games will skip the video if it can't be found (others will crash, so i'ts a question of knowing which of the two).

Is the update on gamepass to or only steam for now?

It’s on gamepass

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

It does. You can happily set up shop behind your favorite meatwad and hit volleyfire to delete all the glowies shooting through them.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

big cummers ONLY posted:

Both of these can be answered with the idea of avoiding being stabbed in the butt.

Can't get stabbed in butt if I'm dancing while firing.

Can't stab me in the butt if I'm speedrunning through the level and mowing everything in front of me!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, when I saw that note in the community update I
was pleasantly surprised. At least there's slightly more forgiving.

I legitimately thought they'd made a mistake with that note.

Drakes posted:

Both of these can be answered with the idea of avoiding being stabbed in the butt.

Can't get stabbed in butt if I'm dancing while firing.

Can't stab me in the butt if I'm speedrunning through the level and mowing everything in front of me!

Also years of FPS's have taught people to pretty much always be strafing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If you're able to play now and thirsting for the new weapons/map it sounds like they're not added yet but should be later because it's a backend switch or something. A lot of pissed off comments already out there about "WHERE'S THE NEW WEAPONS FATSHARK" and people pissed about the hold space to skip thing that haven't discovered the option to disable it yet.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not so much with shooting but you also can really extend the range of wide horizontal sweeps with a melee weapon by shaking that booty

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I realize they probably have other priorities, but I'm surprised there's nothing new in the cash shop.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Yes it does.

Yes it does.

:v:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Is there any indication of what level the new weapons are unlocked at? I've only been playing a couple sessions per week with friends so I'm pretty behind. Don't want to log in to keep checking the shop for no reason.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vargs posted:

Is there any indication of what level the new weapons are unlocked at? I've only been playing a couple sessions per week with friends so I'm pretty behind. Don't want to log in to keep checking the shop for no reason.

explosivo posted:

If you're able to play now and thirsting for the new weapons/map it sounds like they're not added yet but should be later because it's a backend switch or something. A lot of pissed off comments already out there about "WHERE'S THE NEW WEAPONS FATSHARK" and people pissed about the hold space to skip thing that haven't discovered the option to disable it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

^^ I don't think we know what class level you need to be to unlock them yet tho