Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
look, whatever your opinions about m/kb vs controller for games, most games these days transition seamlessly between schemes whenever they receive an input so you can just swap between for whatever feels better. having a strong opinion as a PC gamer is unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
mighty strong opinion about people's opinions there cutie

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
a controller is limited by the multiplier that's applied in an ini file

a mouse is limited only by how fast you can tarzan your mouse across the pad to line up a headshot and not throw it into your beanbag pillow

Mouse users are lesser as examples of humanity, but might be able to snipe u quicker, cutie

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

down1nit posted:

a controller is limited by the multiplier that's applied in an ini file

a mouse is limited only by how fast you can tarzan your mouse across the pad to line up a headshot and not throw it into your beanbag pillow

Mouse users are lesser as examples of humanity, but might be able to snipe u quicker, cutie

mouse users are like kanye, just blowing their idiocy everywhere they can, soon forgotten

controller users are like elon, carefully arranging their idiocy for the history books to disparage for ages

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Wait is there joystick flight in starfield? Is there another way to insult joystick users, other than their very existence?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

well sorry for the derail about mouse vs gamepad. it was wrong of me. i should've tried to drive a wedge between PC and Xbox instead.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

down1nit posted:

Wait is there joystick flight in starfield? Is there another way to insult joystick users, other than their very existence?

I can't hear you over my hotas setup and huge penis

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Bad Purchase posted:

well sorry for the derail about mouse vs gamepad. it was wrong of me. i should've tried to drive a wedge between PC and Xbox instead.

never apologize for talking down to your lessers.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I dunno, I just never was a console person after I aged out of the SNES bracket. I pick up a controller with sticks these days and feel like an invalid. Moving two sticks with my thumbs to accomplish what a single quick flick of the wrist can do with a mouse is just awful to me. Then there are games that make me use triggers to start an action and then draw it out and require me to complete it with another button press, and I’m like, I ain’t got time for this dumb poo poo.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i love my switch, but nintendo first party games are carrying a lot of the weight. botw, mario odyssey, and splatoon were worth buying the console for me. those are great couch gamepad games, with 3rd person cameras and some motion control for fine tuning the aim.

i also played hundreds of hours of both stardew valley and hades on my pro controller, even on the PC, so i'm not a gamepad hater. it's really just FPS and MMOs where i draw the line and need the mouse and keyboard. and obviously RTS or strategy games with hundreds of units all over the screen that require precise clicking.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I love the switch and controller games. I like Skyrim because how great it is with a controller, and to a lesser extent even fallout. I liked how with vats I could be a terrible fps player but still get some good fun and feel like an expert at times even with substandard reflexes and an innate inability to line up a headshot for anything.

I hope there is something like vats in this game too because I want an rpg not a call of duty game.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

The Titanic posted:

I love the switch and controller games. I like Skyrim because how great it is with a controller, and to a lesser extent even fallout. I liked how with vats I could be a terrible fps player but still get some good fun and feel like an expert at times even with substandard reflexes and an innate inability to line up a headshot for anything.

I hope there is something like vats in this game too because I want an rpg not a call of duty game.

I really hope so too. I have a hard enough time WITH the vats. It being pure FPS would kill me.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
I was a kb&m guy until I used the new dual sense. Them triggers are magic.

I played skyrim on switch and thought it played as well as it could, unmodded. Only downside was only having two quick slots. That was almost a deal breaker for me.

I'm just finally getting excited for starfield. I really should have waited to look into it til closer to release

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

The Titanic posted:

I feel the biggest issue with it will be the jank and unusual design decisions Bethesda made along the way.

How tight do you want your shooter game to be? How much do you expect say, Fallout versus a Modern Warfare experience?

How many people talking nonsense at you can you take before you start just skipping dialog?

How many quests of "find my special weapon" in some samey-looking dungeon will you be able to tolerate?

How many chests will you open before "find another chest full of 6 credits" can you tolerate finding on a planet that doesn't even know what credits are?

How many space ship fights that look like star fox can you get through before you've had your last one?

How long will you play before you need the "skip the space fights" mod?

How long can you tolerate playing a bethesda game before the first "nude characters" mod comes out?

How long will you play before you absolutely must have the 4K skin texture mod and new mesh for characters to have bigger boobs mod following the mod above???

All of these will be factors into your enjoyment!

CBBE from the start is a must

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

CBBE from the start is a must

With the way bethesda games tend to use the same engine they've upgraded for the last 30 years, there's a good chance you might get your wish!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
And Sims 2 Apachii hair.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
exploding implants mod

for when the atmospheric pressure is too low

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Some new info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SloHMrl9WxY

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

I wanna play this game, can't wait to crew my ship full of weirdos.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

External Organs posted:

I wanna play this game, can't wait to crew my ship full of weirdos.
:emptyquote:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Nice to hear that it seems like they're taking the fallout 4 rather than skyrim approach to factions.

Always felt that being pretty much automatically made the head of every faction you joined, and none of really mattering just made the world feel pretty static. While how Fallout 4 handle the faction had a few issues that mostly seemed to be a writing thing. Having a faction available to you until get to a point where they notice you've actively start working against them works. Still sort of hoping they've put in a NV style reputation system, but feel like they probably would of mentioned here if that was the case.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any word of a release window/date?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The date given still seems to be "first half of 2023". I gonna guess later in the first half just because feel like if it was going to come out in the next month or two think they would of given a firm date by now.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I feel like they either want it before botw 2 by like a month or otherwise summer.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I would not be surprised if it slips all the way to Q4.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Todd said after Fallout 4, they have to give a release date at least 5 months before the actual release so that every vendor etc has enough time to set everything up. So I guess it's at least 5 months away then.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

J-Spot posted:

I would not be surprised if it slips all the way to Q4.

I mean yeah, at the moment I would be pretty surprised if it slipped to 2024, but really wouldn't be surprised by pretty much any date in 2023.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Definitely wasn't expecting to go to Sol. Especially not early on, I assumed something like that would be a big endgame goal.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

DaysBefore posted:

Definitely wasn't expecting to go to Sol. Especially not early on, I assumed something like that would be a big endgame goal.

it sounds like earth is gone or at least unaccessible though which isn't surprising

i wonder if there'll be many more poi's there beyond the mars base we saw

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

it's a shame earth seems to be destroyed or uninhabitable or otherwise not available. i was hoping this was a more optimistic setting

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I see Earth everyday, give me tons of weirdo poo poo in the Jovian moons or have some college intern do a fart joke on Uranus or something. That's what I'm after.

I still don't totally get how planets work. Is it just a small square like Mass Effect 1 or the whole thing (at 1/10000 scale or whatever of course)?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

marktheando posted:

it's a shame earth seems to be destroyed or uninhabitable or otherwise not available. i was hoping this was a more optimistic setting

Hey it may be set in a fantastical sci-fi future, but you do need to have some realism.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

DaysBefore posted:

I see Earth everyday, give me tons of weirdo poo poo in the Jovian moons or have some college intern do a fart joke on Uranus or something. That's what I'm after.

I still don't totally get how planets work. Is it just a small square like Mass Effect 1 or the whole thing (at 1/10000 scale or whatever of course)?

The Todd said something about this in the previous video. It seems it simulates an entire planet (scaled most likely of course), not just a small area that's provided for you. He also said it has real orbits and stuff.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I wonder if the terrain data is stored in the game files or if it's calculated on the fly from a seed

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It worries me that there is like zero new footage in this.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I said come in! posted:

I noticed that too. Was hoping for more new stuff to see.

I guess my big question is: which npc will be telling me when my settlement is under attack by aliens/bugs? Will my map turn red as I continue to ignore their plight after rescuing them from 6 raiders and a flying insect for the 14th time?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I said come in! posted:

yep, filmed in the same office as the todd interview. pretty sure the same character was doing the interview as well.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Bad Purchase posted:

yep, filmed in the same office as the todd interview. pretty sure the same character was doing the interview as well.

yeah these q&a's are basically just going to be filler until the next big trailer i think

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Titanic posted:

I noticed that too. Was hoping for more new stuff to see.

I guess my big question is: which npc will be telling me when my settlement is under attack by aliens/bugs? Will my map turn red as I continue to ignore their plight after rescuing them from 6 raiders and a flying insect for the 14th time?

The only recurring character from fallout 4 obviously. The Preston Garvey clone army is obviously going to be the ones to know which settlements need your help.

But despite their vast inescapable number, you and you alone, will always have to be the one to help that settlement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I said come in! posted:

It's definitely weird how wishy-washy they've been, we have yet to see any consistent gameplay that wasn't a bunch of 30 second gameplay snippits glued together randomly, and that includes that showcase they did.