Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Chainclaw posted:

Fantasy dildo? Gotta draft the perfect team of dildos, and then somehow earn points to compare to the other people in your fantasy dildo league.

I got 69 points in my last league but apparently that didn't autowin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

!Klams posted:

Really? But, he called it that based off of an existing fightgame term? To me, it's weird that he has any claim whatsoever, since I know the term yomi really well, from fightgames of old... I mean especially this moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri-00IYp9-U from 16 years ago?

Blue Roman Cancel, the board game

Mr. Squishy posted:

Look at Atari - they aren't ever going to make a game again, but god help you if you start invading any space.

boooooo

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

I got 69 points in my last league but apparently that didn't autowin

That sucks.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
If someone released a board game called "Clank Hustle," my first thought would be that this is an expansion to or variation on the popular board game Clank. It absolutely makes sense that someone might think a game called Yomi Hustle might be an expansion/variant/sequel for Yomi.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Jimbozig posted:

If someone released a board game called "Clank Hustle," my first thought would be that this is an expansion to or variation on the popular board game Clank. It absolutely makes sense that someone might think a game called Yomi Hustle might be an expansion/variant/sequel for Yomi.

This reads like one of those "add HUSTLE to the end of any board game and see what you get" generators

Patchwork Hustle
The search for planet X Hustle
Go Hustle

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Unironically want to play Arkham Hustle.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Brass Birmingham Hustle, which is just plain old Brass Birmingham, except the players don't suffer from analysis paralysis.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

This reads like one of those "add HUSTLE to the end of any board game and see what you get" generators

Patchwork Hustle
The search for planet X Hustle
Go Hustle

Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant Hustle

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Jedit posted:

And as I recall, they weren't sued into the ground. They just delayed the release of Hex until the Magic patents expired a year or so later.

Cryptozoic and Wizards settled: https://www.polygon.com/2015/9/25/9399821/wizards-of-the-coast-cryptozoic-magic-the-gathering-lawsuit-settlement

Mr. Squishy posted:

There are much goofier and more brazen patent trolls out there. It's a small industry to own a bunch of patents, comb industry announcements for someone unknowingly using one of the common phrases you own, and then ruthlessly go after them. Look at Atari - they aren't ever going to make a game again, but god help you if you start invading any space. I think someone owns the use of the word "edge" with regards to videogames.

The use of particular words in marketing a product (e.g., "space invaders") would be trademark protection, not patent.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Jimbozig posted:

I mean I don't get Bunny Kingdom confused with any other games called any variation on Kingdom, or any game containing Alchemist with the game Alchemists. Again, I get how trademark law works and this is just how it is, but I don't think anyone who is going to give a poo poo about Yomi or Yomi Hustle, even if you don't even care about or understand fighting games, could ever possibly confuse the two even at a glance, or would assume that one is directly related to another. Now if the game was called Yomi: Hustle, that would probably hold a lot more water for me.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
brass birmingham hustle is when a guy at the park tries to bet 20 dollars that you can't beat him in brass birmingham

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Impermanent posted:

brass birmingham hustle is when a guy at the park tries to bet 20 dollars that you can't beat him in brass birmingham

"Jeffrey, break out Sir Richard Arkwright."

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

when I first learned of yomi hustle I thought sirlin was involved. if I saw a video game that used the words azul, agricola*, or tzolk’in in the title, my immediate thought would be that it was affiliated with or a reimplementation of the board game. the same is true even for titles like 7 wonders or pandemic.

*rosenberg, not holland. apologies in advance.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Glagha posted:

I mean I don't get Bunny Kingdom confused with any other games called any variation on Kingdom, or any game containing Alchemist with the game Alchemists. Again, I get how trademark law works and this is just how it is, but I don't think anyone who is going to give a poo poo about Yomi or Yomi Hustle, even if you don't even care about or understand fighting games, could ever possibly confuse the two even at a glance, or would assume that one is directly related to another. Now if the game was called Yomi: Hustle, that would probably hold a lot more water for me.

This is a super weird thing to argue when multiple people ITT have admitted they first thought Sirlin was involved.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The law doesn't care if some people feel like they wouldn't associate two similarly-named brands, and that'd be an insane way to run a legally-enforced trademark system anyway.

The USPTO is supposed to not approve trademarks that are too generic. Also there's a period after a trademark is applied-for when others can formally object. Neither of these systems function well: the USPTO is famously understaffed and underfunded, and it'd be difficult to proactively notice and object to trademarks without hiring full-time staff to watch everything going through the USPTO all the time. So yeah, these systems are somewhat brittle, somewhat obscure, and very very very commonly not understood in the general public (and that extends to indi game makers, unfortunately).

But they do function, and it really is a bit silly to suppose that in this particular case, there's only a problem because Sirlin sucks. Sirlin may suck, but this is a very cut and dried trademark infringement case and the people making Yomi Hustle could have anticipated and avoided it with ten minutes of effort looking at already-registered trademarks on game titles before they started marketing their new game. Any IP lawyer in a half-hour consult could have advised them on how to not infringe on registered trademarks with the names of their company or products, by using the very simple online system for looking up whatever name they brainstormed for their product to see if it's already in use.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Again, like I've said a million times, yes I get that the law is on Sirlin's side, I get it, such is life the law works that way, Yomi Hustle hosed up calling it that. They changed the name, it's a done deal. I'm just saying we've got Yomi's Gate , and Trek to Yomi and it just kinda sucks they got hit by this. I'm simply lamenting that it happened. That, and

MizuZero posted:

when I first learned of yomi hustle I thought sirlin was involved. if I saw a video game that used the words azul, agricola*, or tzolk’in in the title, my immediate thought would be that it was affiliated with or a reimplementation of the board game. the same is true even for titles like 7 wonders or pandemic.

*rosenberg, not holland. apologies in advance.

I really don't think calling your game Yomi Hustle is anywhere near the same thing as calling your game like, Agricola Tactics.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the virgin yomi vs the chad mushin

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Trademark applications are not particularly expensive or complicated, but I did one "recently" and the application took literal years to trickle through the system.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Glagha posted:

I really don't think calling your game Yomi Hustle is anywhere near the same thing as calling your game like, Agricola Tactics.

if the game was called azul hustle, agricola hustle, or tzol’kin hustle, it would still cause the same amount of initial confusion for me and, if this thread is any indication, many others. hustle reads as one of those words that gets appended to existing titles to clearly demonstrate an affiliation, like duel or express (or digital :getin:). anyway, I understand now. your only move is posting.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Reposting this on a new page:

Rockman Reserve posted:

Has anyone bought Blood on the Clocktower recently? I ordered in September, they had a facebook post about the new shipment arriving to them on November 21 and said copies would be in peoples' hands a couple weeks after that, but I haven't even gotten a shipping notice yet.

I opened a ticket with them on Monday but haven’t heard *anything*. I’m tempted to try to do a chargeback or something at this point because this level of radio silence is kind of ridiculous.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It's not the hustle part, it's that I think Tzol'kin or Agricola are names that are FAR more unique and like, not just relatively common terms in the community that these games cater to. I wouldn't for a second have defended it if it was Gloomhaven Hustle, that's apples to oranges. People sometimes talk about yomi without talking about Yomi the same way you can talk about magic without talking about popular card game Magic: The Gathering. Agricola you don't do that. Maybe I'll give you Azul though.

Anyway I've beat this topic into the ground I would rather concede the point and return to jokes about Sushi Go Hustle.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Glagha posted:

Sushi Go Hustle.

When my daughter scores 16 points on onigiri because she convinced me they were too cute and I would be mean not to let her have them.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Rockman Reserve posted:

I opened a ticket with them on Monday but haven’t heard *anything*. I’m tempted to try to do a chargeback or something at this point because this level of radio silence is kind of ridiculous.

I'd send them another letter or try to contact them via social media. I don't know where you're based but at this point I have the lowest of the low expectations for shipping and notifications and that if I hear about people getting their copies I assume that I should see mine within a two week window.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Glagha posted:

It's not the hustle part, it's that I think Tzol'kin or Agricola are names that are FAR more unique and like, not just relatively common terms in the community that these games cater to. I wouldn't for a second have defended it if it was Gloomhaven Hustle, that's apples to oranges. People sometimes talk about yomi without talking about Yomi the same way you can talk about magic without talking about popular card game Magic: The Gathering. Agricola you don't do that. Maybe I'll give you Azul though.

Anyway I've beat this topic into the ground I would rather concede the point and return to jokes about Sushi Go Hustle.

I had heard of Agricola the dude way before I heard of the game, mainly because I was a real loving nerd as a child.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I heard of Argicola as a kid but that's because my family only bought soft drinks at hippy farm stands.

:dadjoke:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mr. Squishy posted:

I think someone owns the use of the word "edge" with regards to videogames.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_Games (AKA Real Life Shitlord Tim Langdell) had some high profile failings in his stupid extortion racket about a decade ago but is apparently still roaming around claiming sole ownership of the word "edge" in spite of not being meaningfully active in the industry for many years (aside from starting litigation etc)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sushi Go Hustle to the polls
:abuela:/

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

Rockman Reserve posted:

Ben Burns posted an update either yesterday or the day before on Reddit: https://old.reddit.com/r/BloodOnTheClocktower/comments/zkxpbs/second_edition_shipping_and_delivery_update

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Aramoro posted:

I had heard of Agricola the dude way before I heard of the game, mainly because I was a real loving nerd as a child.

Agricola's a dude????

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Looked it up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgius_Agricola#Etymology

Name could be translated to Moon MoonFarmer Farmer

Rockman Reserve posted:

Eagle Gyphon games wanted to gently caress around with "We can only partially refund" when I requested a cancellation, so I did a chargeback.

If you've attempted contact, they haven't responded, are posting updates in weird places you might not see them, then do a chargeback.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Glagha posted:

Agricola's a dude????

There are even games about him.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Anyone got recommendations for good recent games for older pre-teen kids? 9-11 sort of age range. Looking for presents for my niece and nephew who I usually get games for, both games players so can handle decently complicated stuff.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Magic Maze

Cause a family incident over the holidays

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Infinitum posted:

Magic Maze

Cause a family incident over the holidays

For some reason, real-time pressure stresses my gaming group out so much that it pretty much traumatizes them. I mean, that's not really an overstatement, they'll bring up 'Escape: The curse of the Temple' and 'Captain Sonar' to this day with like, hushed revered tones; the games have such a reputation that they'll get suggested as a joke for what we play on game night by people who've only heard the stories, and there are a lot of genuinely angry "NO"s and "I WONT be playing that, I might go home" type reactions every time. It genuinely affected them. Which sucks for me because I love those games.

Magic Maze is pretty much the same, in terms of how bananas nuts it sent everyone, actual honest to god shouting and screaming arguments, real rifts, it really broke people. But for whatever mad reason, they all remember it fondly and frequently suggest we play it again, and "I" have to be the voice of reason and say no.

I mean, if we're gonna play a game that breaks your brains, we're at least playing one of the good ones.

/Edit: I think a massive thing in the whole 'Yomi' controversy, is just that for some people the word Yomi probably is totally unfamiliar. Especially in this thread, it's likely that people have only heard it in relation to the Sirlin game. And, apparently, that's the legal precedent and whatever, fine, I don't care, I have zero skin in the game. But!

For those of us for whom it's raising eyebrows, it's because we're so familiar with the term. It's the same as if someone brought out a boardgame called "Touchdown", and then someone brought out a game called "Touchdown Hustle" and everyone went "No, I know the name Touchdown from that Touchdown game, I immediately thought of that board game". Like it's THAT odd to me. And I mean I get it, fightgame terminology is niche, (Tick Throw Tactics actually sounds kinda good) but that's why I think there's such an opposite vocal reaction from some people on this.

PRADA SLUT posted:

NGL, I would probably end up backing this Kickstarter if the art was good.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 16, 2022

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

PRADA SLUT posted:

The game about publicly shaming Caesar after he tells an inappropriate joke.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just went into Waterstones (chain book shop) and was shocked to see Mosaic on the shelf, along with a bunch of other Glenn Drover games. Not something I ever expected to see.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jedit posted:

Just went into Waterstones (chain book shop) and was shocked to see Mosaic on the shelf, along with a bunch of other Glenn Drover games. Not something I ever expected to see.

I think with Waterstones, they are curated by individuals. So like, if someone's really into Magic the Gathering, they'll have a decent stock of it, or if someone's actually into boardgames, you'll see decent stuff show up. But then some of them they just dgaf and it's just throw throw burrito, CAH and jigsaws all the way down.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Whatever happened to legacy games? Feels like I haven't heard about a new one since Pandemic Zero.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Gort posted:

Whatever happened to legacy games? Feels like I haven't heard about a new one since Pandemic Zero.

I think Legacy was a specific branding thing, but plenty of other people make long form multi-session board games: Gloomhaven, Middara, Oathsworn, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

!Klams posted:

I think with Waterstones, they are curated by individuals. So like, if someone's really into Magic the Gathering, they'll have a decent stock of it, or if someone's actually into boardgames, you'll see decent stuff show up. But then some of them they just dgaf and it's just throw throw burrito, CAH and jigsaws all the way down.

As an American I had no idea what Waterstones was, but this NYT article from a few years ago gets into what you're describing above and it's a pretty fascinating look into the business. Not related to board games whatsoever but when else will I have a chance to reference this article

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/08/books/watersones-barnes-and-noble-james-daunt.html