Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

kw0134 posted:

One of the things that Twitter demonstrated was that microblogging doesn't pay the bills, at least not at a return that makes the avaricious investor class happy. And Meta might well be happy that Twitter dies because that's fewer outlets chasing a limited pool of advertising dollars.

I might be naive but I actually believe that Twitter could be a viable, if not crazy high-margin, business if managed correctly, especially if held privately or as a part of a larger organisation. It was definitely sub-scale to be a standalone public company though.

The avaricious investor class will also have to settle for lower returns in general for a while.

The path to a profitable Meta-owned Twitter division is clearer to me than a profitable metaverse division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Because of course:

https://twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/1602428006500179970?s=20&t=rhkoEKSmg-dJcgXOO2P3Lw

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
Feeling embarrassed right now because I just realized "lil X" probably refers to Elon's child X Æ A-12 and not pop singer/rapper Lil Nas X

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

oh i never saw a full suit pic, lol its even more low effort, like just some sort of leather strap on plates on a black clothes base?

lol fuckin weak white lumpy thing ( that did diet drugs to slim down in since summer) to just fit in unbranded generic scifi channel demon armor instead of high effort cosplayer stuff like ironman suits that have some metal , a bunch of LEDs, cooling fans and gel packs, and moving parts.

Yep, black t shirt. Probably black jeans. Definitely casual dress shoes.

Also, he didn't slim down all that much. It's plain to see in the Chappelle video he still has no body tone with a turtle shell of belly/fat in front.

So, the costume was doing a lot of work.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Doctor Butts posted:

Yep, black t shirt. Probably black jeans. Definitely casual dress shoes.

Also, he didn't slim down all that much. It's plain to see in the Chappelle video he still has no body tone with a turtle shell of belly/fat in front.

So, the costume was doing a lot of work.

Is that the only outfit he ever wears?

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

Isn't this really common for rich philanthropists to have their own charity to shovel money into?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Suspect A posted:

Isn't this really common for rich philanthropists to have their own charity to shovel money into?

Yeah it operates as a money laundering operation and tax shelter for the rest of the rich person's business interests. The Patagonia CEO guy does this as well, so his fortune can be funneled to his kids without the poors getting a cut. And that rear end in a top hat is considered the "reluctant billionaire".

potato!
Apr 24, 2008

Suspect A posted:

Yes, and it's also really common for them to self-deal out of their charity by using "donations" as promotional opportunities for their businesses

Trump even used "charitable donations" to his own org to get his businesses out of paying fines, bought a portrait of himself "for charity," etc

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
jesus christ when my email; update from "Your Local Epidemiologist" which I sub to to understand what's going on with Covid/RSV/Flu etc and how it impacts my kids, has to have a short article about "Musk, Fauci, trust in science, and how to make it survive"

we're so hosed :rubby:

doesn't that just mean it was a tax writeoff for him that did nothing good for anyone else?

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/852133087

loving lol

quote:

Rating Information
Not currently rated

Ratings are calculated from one or more beacon scores. Currently, we require either an Accountability & Finance beacon or an Impact & Results beacon to be eligible for a Charity Navigator rating. Note: The absence of a rating does not indicate a positive or negative assessment; it only indicates that we have not yet evaluated this organization.

See rating report below to learn why this organization is not currently eligible.
https://www.influencewatch.org/non-profit/musk-foundation/

quote:

The left-leaning newspaper the Guardian conducted a thorough examination of the Foundation’s donations in a January 2019 profile. [24] Their investigation found that the Foundation frequently donated to charities in which Musk’s family and/or his companies have financial and other interests. The article clarified that none of the payments were illegal, and cited charity experts who said that many were within charitable norms. [25]

lol

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 15, 2022

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Halisnacks posted:

I might be naive but I actually believe that Twitter could be a viable, if not crazy high-margin, business if managed correctly, especially if held privately or as a part of a larger organisation. It was definitely sub-scale to be a standalone public company though.

The avaricious investor class will also have to settle for lower returns in general for a while.

The path to a profitable Meta-owned Twitter division is clearer to me than a profitable metaverse division.
That's a low bar because a lemonade stand has a clearer path to profitability than the metaverse nonsense. Twitter brought to you by Meta might be profitable, but it's not clear it would either capture enough extra ad revenue to justify the expense, when it's already in the business of serving ads and can simply say "hey, all these people are spending more time on their FB pages, don't advertise to Nazis unless that's your jam, that'll be 300k for the ad buy" and not have to do a single thing.

It kind of feels like Microsoft's gaming division which despite tens of billions poured into it, has always had revenue amount to a rounding error compared with sales of Office to commercial clients, nevermind the rest of the company. If Meta wants to get into that business, okay, I'm in agreement it could kind of putter along for a bit, but it would to me be something like the Xbox, management's white whale they'll chase forever and not really accomplish much in the grand scheme of things. I'm not the Zuckerbot, and if he wants to spend his money on a Twitter clone, then I wish him the best of luck. But the economic case was and is weak for Twitter.

potato!
Apr 24, 2008

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Yeah it operates as a money laundering operation and tax shelter for the rest of the rich person's business interests. The Patagonia CEO guy does this as well, so his fortune can be funneled to his kids without the poors getting a cut. And that rear end in a top hat is considered the "reluctant billionaire".

I had thought that the Patagonia thing was actually done "right," in that he really did figure out a way to give it all away in a fairly secure manner. Was that a smoke screen after all?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Lmao he banned ADSB Exchange

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1603426030752043011

Did not ban OpenSkies Network, where Sweeney was actually getting his data, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nobody's told him about AIS for maritime yet

https://twitter.com/MarineTraffic

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Elon sold his soul for friends and got nazi's :devil:

And then discovered that the nazi was inside him all along

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Someone get Jeffrey to put an Elon plane tracker on the front page.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

potato! posted:

I had thought that the Patagonia thing was actually done "right," in that he really did figure out a way to give it all away in a fairly secure manner. Was that a smoke screen after all?

no he's an uninformed person spouting bullshit

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

goatface posted:

do you really want this dying ancient forum to end up in the crosshairs of the musk machine

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol, goddamn. What a stupid whiny baby.

kender
Dec 15, 2000
Forum Veteran

Cabbages and Kings posted:

do you really want this dying ancient forum to end up in the crosshairs of the musk machine

Can we make him like the last guy?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

What's he going to do, try to crash a burning Tesla into that Lowtax crash spot in Missouri that used to be SA's headquarters?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Slotducks posted:

yeah for like 7k or something

elon musk is profoundly stupid and equally as pathetic

He paid more for a lovely costume he'll wear once but forever get made fun of for than he offered the elonjet guy to stop tracking him

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty

Yes. Musk owned SA would be amazing.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

musky himself is no threat.

but his muskrat stans will give sooooo many 10$s.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

It would just get lost in the noise of the 40000 new trackers popping up

https://www.reddit.com/r/ElonJetTracker/comments/zmnfa9

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Halisnacks posted:

fuckin SA is a viable, not crazy high-margin, business if handled by anyone but the world's oldest 12-year-old. Running a forum or social media platform is cheap enough that basically any revenue stream will put you in the black, but the only way you're making money off it is by using it to scam some dope. Meta's been working hard at transitioning into a datamining and analytics company with a vestigial dubiously profitable social media branch, and nobody who's avoiding giving Facebook their ad impressions and activity stats now is going to sign up for Twitter By Meta™

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Imagine the new attention we could draw. It could be the reinvigorative push we need.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

PhazonLink posted:

musky himself is no threat.

but his muskrat stans will give sooooo many 10$s.

I'd bet that Jeffrey would gladly take their money in exchange for the ability for us to dunk on them directly. Muskies are probably as thin skinned as their demigod.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

kw0134 posted:

Twitter brought to you by Meta might be profitable, but it's not clear it would either capture enough extra ad revenue to justify the expense, when it's already in the business of serving ads and can simply say "hey, all these people are spending more time on their FB pages, don't advertise to Nazis unless that's your jam, that'll be 300k for the ad buy" and not have to do a single thing.

I guess the investment thesis would be that Twitter/microblogging captures attention that isn’t captured by FB/IG, so it would be incremental, and the people leaving Twitter wouldn’t necessarily spend more time on their FB as is. There is a reason there is discussion around what platform(s) will take Twitter’s place, and it’s never “Oh people will just use Facebook for that”.

Meta is also in an all out war for users’ attention, primarily against TikTok, and there is a hard upper bound on the amount available (number of people x 24 hours a day). Someone is definitely going to try to eat Twitter’s lunch in 2023. My guess is that Big Tech were caught flat-footed because they genuinely didn’t expect Elon’s tenure to be so chaotic so early on.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

learnincurve posted:

This was in response to me pointing out that Musk was going to eat fine after fine from multiple agencies

My dad turned up a day late to the insurrection because he got the time zones wrong when booking his flight.

Lmao

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Streisand Effect sends its regards

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Replace the front page with a huge tracker in the middle surrounded by terrible web 1.0 gifs of spinning Musk headshots and flames. I mean really make it something out of hypnospace outlaw

HOME OF THE BEST ELON TRACKER ON THE 'NET

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
lol that none of this actually changes anything, you can still track his jet to your heart's content on the various tracking sites and anyone who'd actually want to do harm would certainly use that over Twitter. This is so sad

Also, for the couple of people who might be interested, the stuck plane in Manchester was finally towed after nearly 6 hours of being stranded in place on the taxiway.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

goatface posted:

We need new users. This Jeffrey 's opportunity to bring in the plane tracking enthusiasts.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Halisnacks posted:

I guess the investment thesis would be that Twitter/microblogging captures attention that isn’t captured by FB/IG, so it would be incremental, and the people leaving Twitter wouldn’t necessarily spend more time on their FB as is. There is a reason there is discussion around what platform(s) will take Twitter’s place, and it’s never “Oh people will just use Facebook for that”.

Meta is also in an all out war for users’ attention, primarily against TikTok, and there is a hard upper bound on the amount available (number of people x 24 hours a day). Someone is definitely going to try to eat Twitter’s lunch in 2023. My guess is that Big Tech were caught flat-footed because they genuinely didn’t expect Elon’s tenure to be so chaotic so early on.

Twitter's userbase is an order of magnitude smaller than Facebook or its competitors, with an enormous degree of overlap. It's smaller than fuckin Telegram and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using that except as a furry MUD. Twitter's notability didn't really come from dominating the internet but from happening to be the place journalists and public figures specifically came to shitpost, and the only way they ever succeeded in monetizing that was by getting some plutocrat so spun up about his menchies he paid billions of dollars to ban people from making fun of him on his blog. I'm sure lots of Twitter users will migrate to Mastadon or Cohost or just Tumblr again but it's not a particularly enviable lunch to try to eat.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 15, 2022

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

doesn't that just mean it was a tax writeoff for him that did nothing good for anyone else?

Well if it makes you feel better.... or at least less-bad, the tax deduction is smaller if you give to a charity that you control specifically because of suspicions that maybe some of the money won't be charitably spent. Many wealthy people will still do it anyway even if they had good intentions and honestly intend to be charitable, for the ego boost of having their own charity that they run, but those private charities usually won't get contributions from anyone else because they usually want to contribute to charities that will give them the highest deduction.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I had a long post typed up but Wizard beat me; the point is not that there's a niche that can be filled, it's whether it's a large enough niche to matter that you can pour billions into, and the answer is a flat no. I absolutely would not rule out the idea of Zuck asking his engineers if they could use the existing infrastructure and code base to make a Twitter-lite that can capture some of this traffic, but the real lesson here is that spending billions to chase a few million doesn't work out.

Twitter's lunch was a single hors d'oeuvres.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Ashmole posted:

Has Elon ever publicly credited anyone with the successes at SpaceX or Tesla? Like has he ever said "these engineers" or "this engineer" did a great job?

nope. but he did give credit to the workers at Tuskla Motors for increasing production of Tuskla cars in that Rick and Morty episode

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Twitter's userbase is an order of magnitude smaller than Facebook or its competitors, with an enormous degree of overlap. It's smaller than fuckin Telegram and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using that except as a furry MUD. Twitter's notability didn't really come from dominating the internet but from happening to be the place journalists and public figures specifically came to shitpost, and the only way they ever succeeded in monetizing that was by getting some plutocrat so spun up about his menchies he paid billions of dollars to ban people from making fun of him on his blog. I'm sure lots of Twitter users will migrate to Mastadon or Cohost or just Tumblr again but it's not a particularly enviable lunch to try to eat.

iirc, twitter's rise is pseudo astroturf, like I remember ancient lets play threads and other early youtubers just using it as a push notification system/hey we're doing thing(which tiwtter itself said was a one of its features) but journos and other old media types jumped on twitter because they missed zuckbook , youtube, and some other big internet thing and want to be on the groundfloor for birdsite.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
also unless zuck stops asking for real life ID info, he's not going to make a birdsite ripoff.

people/leakers want to shitpost with an okayish mask of anonymity .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

kazil posted:

how are Elon's isolation levels?