Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
NATO refusing to cough up like 80B/year across the entire alliance for ukraine is ridiculous lol. Thats not a lot of money to "Save Europe" or w.e considering that this is the war the alliance was designed to fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

I would like it to be known that I also would win the war if I had an army.

ok that didn't go so well, but give me another one...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpV16BQfbrQ

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cohen-ukraine-commentary/commentary-ukraines-neo-nazi-problem-idUSKBN1GV2TY

I wonder why nobody talks about this on the news anymore?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1603411814745722880?t=opVE7qxjZFGoTGLKGXiedw&s=19
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1603368677130346496?t=8l-r6FlksmxT8b53qNIqRA&s=19

Lol Poland

Morbus
May 18, 2004

American cop: accidentally shoots foot with pistol

Polish cop: accidentally blows up HQ with a grenade launcher

I approve.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
so lemme get this straight, did the ukrainians gift that polish guy a loaded grenade launcher?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
lol. is that real? it was reported a package exploded - did he give him a grenade launcher as a gift?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cerebral Bore posted:

so lemme get this straight, did the ukrainians gift that polish guy a loaded grenade launcher?

they got away with blowing up that grain silo why not try some more

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Polish official, go gently caress yourself

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
With friends like these... :newlol:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

WRT:Women’s boots

Did I tell the story of how Canada spent over a decade trying to develop a standard issue bra?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Zelenskyy lazily scanning a catalogue of government options after he’s elected, suddenly excited when he reads “reality is what you define” under neoliberal

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There was more reporting that Orban’s objections are in part because the Hungarian minority is being abused, so in response Ukrainian mistreatment of them (their own citizens) has increased. You know to punish them for Hungary not supporting Ukraine.

It’s such a self defeating ideology lol

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Did I tell the story of how Canada spent over a decade trying to develop a standard issue bra?

If you did I missed it and would love a repost

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
All our deaths are your fault if you don't give us another fresh start to gently caress up

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Morbus posted:

ok that didn't go so well, but give me another one...

Did I say an army? I meant a sufficiently large and equipped army.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

This story ends with the Russians just using some linen wraps doesn't it?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frosted Flake posted:

There was more reporting that Orban’s objections are in part because the Hungarian minority is being abused, so in response Ukrainian mistreatment of them (their own citizens) has increased. You know to punish them for Hungary not supporting Ukraine.

zelensky will simply call orban the biggest hitler since putin and invade with the full support of the west

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

hey put a translation ffs.

here, this should clear things up

https://twitter.com/Gernot_Koepke/status/1602342620692467712/photo/1

sum
Nov 15, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

NATO refusing to cough up like 80B/year across the entire alliance for ukraine is ridiculous lol. Thats not a lot of money to "Save Europe" or w.e considering that this is the war the alliance was designed to fight

$2 billion in "military aid" to Ukraine usually means shipping off $1 billion of materiel sitting in army stockpiles and then paying Raytheon or BAE or whoever $1 billion to replace the things you just sent. So really the "expense" is either writing off crap you already made or recirculating cash through your own domestic MIC. Meanwhile $2 billion in cash aid to Ukraine means redistributing $2 billion in cash from the metropole to pay off to nobodies in the periphery. No one gets rich off that (at least no one in the west), and in fact it's flowing money through the system in exactly the opposite way that it's designed to. So there's a lot more resistance to it.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Orange Devil posted:

This story ends with the Russians just using some linen wraps doesn't it?

I have seen enough works of art about female orcs to tell you that despite their massive breasts (needed to sustain all their little orclings, of course) they rarely feel a need to wear support. Something about their skin being tougher and less likely to sag? Truly a fascinating species imho

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

You dont just give a grenade launcher to a Pole, that is unbelievably irresponsible. Shame on Zelensky, someone could have died.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ardennes posted:

You dont just give a grenade launcher to a Pole, that is unbelievably irresponsible. Shame on Zelensky, someone could have died.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

“Looking back at history, however, it is in fact safe to say that ‘U.S. paranoia about the border’ has always kept Canadian elites awake at night, thus influencing every Canadian policy ever made.”

Srdjan Vucetic

Have you read this guy? His Anglosphere book looks like it might have interesting bits.

Frosted Flake posted:

The article linked earlier talked about increased legal rights, like being able to speak Hungarian in public. Of course this is a fraction of the picture but it's about all Zelenskiy can do.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

smug jeebus posted:

If you did I missed it and would love a repost

So first women in the army is somewhat new. At first, when they were working as clerks or whatever they were expected to wear bras for what I’m sure were gross 1960’s reasons. In 1995, combat jobs opened up to them, and the initial response was to issue them the same undershirts as everyone else.

That was uncomfortable and didn’t work, but it took a while for “women are uncomfortable” to be phrased as “reduced combat effectiveness” for someone to care. So began the search for the standard issue bra.

Under the rationale that shirts and underwear are government issued, it was put up as a Soldier System. As a result it would start as internal R&D through Defence Research and Development Canada. At the time, military procurement was directed by Public Works and Government Services, because Canada has the best procurement system in the world. They’d evaluate the R&D and then turn that into specifications and a contract. Essential equipment including uniform items must be made in Canada by Canadian firms with Canadian supply chains. This makes sense, for reasons we’ve all seen with Ukraine, but universally becomes a matter of which companies in which part of Canada.

It would then be sent to CAF research establishments for inspection, training establishments for initial user trials, operational units for wider trials and so on, kicked back up to PWGSC, possibly to DRDC again to make changes. They don’t gently caress around, so “a bra” became the perfect “Carrier, Chest, Female” (not really, but you get the idea) lol. This involved at various times dozens to hundreds of government scientists, researchers and civil servants, plus the DND and military end.

Then you have the political end which is always meddling, trying to steer production to a supplier or at least a province or region, loving with requirements so that happens, cutting funding or authorizing a higher cost per unit, God knows what else.

The program outline was along the lines of the Canadian Forces Sock System, which I’ve discussed. The program office for all clothing items is DRDC, Toronto Research Centre, at Downsview and I recommend you check it out if you ever get the chance. They’re really smart cookies, developed the world’s first digital camouflage, but the bra proved to be a different matter entirely.

Uniform items need are usually organized as follows (not a bin rat so might be missing things):

Environment: Temperate Woodland (TW), Arid (AR), Cold Weather

Operational Environment: Army, Navy, Air Force, Canadian Rangers

Order of Dress: Service, Distinctive Environment Uniform (Office wear, dress uniform), PT

It’s part of the Canadian Forces Identity System, which is a whole thing

Size: XS-XL, Maternity, One Size

Sex: Male, Female, Unisex

So, for example there are Black (RCN), Green (TW), Brown (TW), Tan (AR), Dark Blue (RCAF), Grey (PT) and Red (CR) undershirts in sizes XS-XL + Mat.

iirc there may now be Female shirts, as a result of the bra debacle, but idk I think mine were unisex.

That sounds like a lot, but it fits into the stock system and it’s pretty easy to find any uniform item in any size and have it delivered anywhere in the world.

With bras, well, this is where I feel less qualified to speak. Apparently with bras there’s more sizing than XS-XL. Many uniform items are just S, M, L, or use a range of metric measurements, for example the packs and body armour had a range of chest diameters. I guess none of these solutions worked for both trunk and cup size?

Anyways it turned into a thing where the users in testing did not like any of the types of standard sizing, but it would create a logistical nightmare to stock all of the sizes they wanted. Is every base Clothing Store (warehouse) going to have a bin of 32-D for Army, Navy, Air Force? Not likely. Also the idea that soldiers wanted bespoke sizing was extremely unpopular and led to lots of “back in my day”. Which does sort of make sense because it’s a logistical system, you wear what you’re issued.

Alongside that there were issues with cut and material. I know even less about this. I guess there’s not really a “universal” bra that works for PT, operations, an office environment, formal dress uniforms? Issues like the band being uncomfortable for one task but essential for another, that sort of thing. It had to be rugged, not melt to the skin if exposed to heat, washable by hand in a metal bowl or machine washable in a clothing bag, fold up neatly for barracks drawer inspections or kit layouts that sort of thing. Also, for the Navy, not be visible in the white summer/tropical service uniform.

So, anyways, this went on for at least 10 years, I believe more, until eventually they just created a thing where when you get your clothing allowance and annual supply of socks (6 pairs of each) and everything else, women get reimbursed for either X pairs or a dollar amount. I’m not sure.

Other than that, the lack of uniformity is sort of a problem at the working level. First, it’s an issue because senior NCOs are required to make sure their people are squared away and correct dress but either male SNCOs don’t feel comfortable correcting when a bra is visible or disrupts the outline of the uniform or they are - which is worse. Additionally, ensuring uniformity of colour and stuff, well you can only tell people what colours to buy really.

Second, because it’s not in the supply system, if your bra is damaged or fails to operate, you’re SOL. It’s your responsibility to provide it and ensure it’s in working order. Unlike other clothing items, it’s on you to make sure it can be worn for extended periods, washed, doesn’t cause rash or chafing, does not stick to your skin if exposed to flash or heat.

Every once and a while it’s proposed to try again but DRDC is busy working on the new uniforms now so I don’t know if they have availability for another go.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Dec 15, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weka posted:

Have you read this guy? His Anglosphere book looks like it might have interesting bits.

Yep, his defence policy book is required reading. I’ve heard he’s done good work on Canada’s relationship to the British Empire and how it mirrors the present one with the US, and iirc wrote about the Canadian pivot from UK to US in the 60’s as well.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I watched that video about Azov summer camps and even 5 years ago the British film maker is pondering whether indoctrinating children into Azov's ideology and giving them combat training is necessary. Pure sicko poo poo.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/witte_sergei/status/1603418857833902080

my "this city is unimportant so i'm funneling entire brigades into it" shirt already has a lot of people asking questions answered by the shirt

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
Ha once again the west creates a complicated boondoggle while Russia finds a cheap and simple solution with everyday materials for bras in servicewomen

Slightly NSFW due to superior Russian ingenuity

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/witte_sergei/status/1603418857833902080

my "this city is unimportant so i'm funneling entire brigades into it" shirt already has a lot of people asking questions answered by the shirt

This coming from radio free europe is icing

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

Asking modern Europe to go war is like asking an elderly museum security guard to go into the secured vaults, don antique medieval plate armor and carry an early surviving black powder musket into battle.

It's technically possible. They have some weapons. Some soldiers. However outcome dubious.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Donbass Devushka posted:

This is why Wikipedia isn't a valid source.
(from t.me/DonbassDevushka/37057, via tgsa)

wikipedia is going to end up stating entire russian armies destroyed only for them to be resurrected by juche necromancy when they show up again later

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Those vog grenade launchers fire for.like no reason at all

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Those vog grenade launchers fire for.like no reason at all

This accident never would have happened if agent archer wasn't showing off his cowboy draw with that polish police chief's grenade launcher

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Danann posted:

(from t.me/DonbassDevushka/37057, via tgsa)

wikipedia is going to end up stating entire russian armies destroyed only for them to be resurrected by juche necromancy when they show up again later

The wikipedia articles for this war are already absurd. Every city the Russians have captured have apparently cost them 200% casualties. Crazy how they can capture urban strongholds with less than 0 soldiers!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The wikipedia articles for this war are already absurd. Every city the Russians have captured have apparently cost them 200% casualties.

Until the Ukrainian soldiers are properly trained to drive a wooden stake through the chest and detach the head from the body prior to burial this is going to keep happening

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
One hundred thousand.

I can't believe it.

They really must not be human :ohdear:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I'm so upset by this loss of life, it's so senseless etc. etc. anyways whoever hasn't whacked off to the latest atrocity yet DM me and I'll hook you up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1602723537789210624