Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

I've only played Final Cut, but I'm pretty happy with having professional VAs and not podcaster VAs that hang out with Alex Jones now or who disappeared off the face of the earth after getting accused of grooming teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Original Cuno though

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I didn't know they'd switched voice actors. Now I'm kind of curious as to what the original voices were like.

Anyway, I finished Disco Elysium last night. Really interesting experience, never before have I played a video game that was this introspective and self-aware. I ended up getting attached to some of the characters due to how well-written they were, particularly Kim.
There is a lot of text in the game, and admittedly, as I indicated before, I ended up skipping through some of the bits that I found less interesting at first glance, inadvertently turning it into a speedrun. Mea culpa, I know that's on me.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

roomtwofifteen posted:

I've only played Final Cut, but I'm pretty happy with having professional VAs and not podcaster VAs that hang out with Alex Jones now or who disappeared off the face of the earth after getting accused of grooming teens.

So much for the tolerant left

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think the next time I play the game I'm going to turn the voice acting off completely. Not because I don't like it, but because I find these kinds of games way more immersive when I can read at my own pace and not feel like I have to sit and wait for lines of dialogue to finish (or cut them off, defeating the point entirely). I turned off the voices in the latest Pathfinder game and it made it way easier to get into for me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I didn't know they'd switched voice actors. Now I'm kind of curious as to what the original voices were like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mHCzfkHDmI

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the only one that really lost something in translation was the strike leader, because the joke about how his dialogue was totally unconvincing lands much worse now that it's a professional saying his lines, and not a podcaster doing a dumb voice

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cuno is the only one I feel was significantly better pre-Final Cut.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

that's an odd one because cunos old voice actor did come back for the final cut (to voice noid) so having him not voice cuno again was a deliberate choice

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I'm not a fan of the VA for Ruby. She sounds like a lady calmly reading lines in a studio, not a desperate, paranoid woman who's been camping in an abandoned factory for days and is torturing you with a jerry-rigged sci-fi noise machine.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

Really? Because I think he sounds pretty good in the Final Cut, really nails how much of a deliberately annoying little poo poo he is. Also, though I'm not sure where exactly it's supposed to be from, I liked his juicy (British) accent.

"Fock does Cuno care?"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Phlegmish posted:

Really? Because I think he sounds pretty good in the Final Cut, really nails how much of a deliberately annoying little poo poo he is. Also, though I'm not sure where exactly it's supposed to be from, I liked his juicy (British) accent.

"Fock does Cuno care?"

He's Scouse and the Final Cut dialled this fact down to a mere 10 from what was about a 17 in the original.

https://youtu.be/uluhBgrtZUg

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He sounds like a regular kid in the Final Cut. He was a force of nature in the original.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the only one that really lost something in translation was the strike leader, because the joke about how his dialogue was totally unconvincing lands much worse now that it's a professional saying his lines, and not a podcaster doing a dumb voice

:same:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I mean it still sounds phony to me imo so I think the new VA works for that

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I like both Cuno voices but I like the original one better since it sounds like he’s using all of his breath to say what he wants before he needs to inhale again

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I think the new voices are all around WAY better than the old ones, especially Cuno's. Old Cuno is the most annoying thing I have ever heard in my life and yes I understand Cuno is supposed to be annoying but New Cuno is the right kind of annoying. He actually sounds like a kid.

Like I really cannot believe that the strike leader would sound like a guy who does a podcast. I feel like I'm playing Counter-Strike when I hear that guy scream slurs at me.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I don't remember much of the OG voice acting because I stopped playing pretty early on when the game came out. When I revisited the game after the Final Cut and completed it I thoroughly enjoyed all the VA and listened to almost all the dialogue, even though I am a pretty quick reader. It helped set the tone for me and made me more immersed in the experience. Even on my second play through I find myself skipping very little of the VA.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Old Cuno and New Cuno contain the same level of energy, Old Cuno is simply more concentrated because he has fewer lines.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Old Cuno and New Cuno contain the same level of energy, Old Cuno is simply more concentrated because he has fewer lines.

Absolute lie.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

roomtwofifteen posted:

rude dude with a ‘tude over here

All the other Final Cut VAs are definitely improvements though. For those who don’t like all the voiceover but would keep some, “Classic” mode in the options voices the first couple lines a character has in dialogue and then goes silent. I found it the perfect blend of hearing the voice acting without having to listen to every line and slow down my reading.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoGlE4G8DyE

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Forgot to mention this earlier: some things that I did dislike about the game were the clunky UI and the questionable pathfinding. It just felt generally unpleasant and awkward to move around in the world. Was expecting better from a game released in 2019.

Unless there was an 'always run' toggle that I missed, in which case I partly take it back

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
No the path finding is just wonky. Definitely the worst part of the game although everything else is so great it almost stands out as being more annoying. Imo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I enjoyed the rest enough that when I think back I never think about the pathfinding but I do recall being frustrated in the moment sometimes

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think they introduced some QoL stuff regarding that after my last playthrough, it was awkward but I've seen worse and eventually I just got into the habit of double clicking for run. I always had the tab button held down looking for interactables tho so never dwelled much on it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It was the area around the Whirling that always got to me I think

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Phlegmish posted:

As an aside, Klaasje's voice actress is really struggling with the pronunciation of some of these Dutch words, including her own name. Most of the others (including the person voicing Titus) do a pretty good job, though. Goes to show how the developers really paid attention to detail.

Klaasje is an unusual name in modern Dutch - it's a male name (Klaas) with a diminutive at the end. Names like that (also Jantje, Gerritje, etc.) used to be given to girls a long time ago and I associate it with old women, mostly pre-WW2 I would say.

fake edit: go here and you can see the decline of the name over time - even in absolute numbers against a rapidly growing population in the 60s/70s.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The worst part of Disco Elysium is changing your loving clothes to minmax poo poo. Just make me dress in the morning and stick with it all day. Hell give me poo poo if I keep wearing the same outfit every day

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Do some laundry you bum.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

White checks are just a dumb mechanism imo. Just make them all red checks. If I can’t lift the barbell I should forever be shamed by it. So dumb to run around chasing a level up and then weighing which white check to unlock first and then failing at that white check again anyway like a scrub.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
you know, there was a man who would never give up after trying something once and failing

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Ah yes, Arno van eyck

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Anodic music pioneer, a future king of the hardcore house style

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

a testament to the musical principle of open composition, a 5000bpm rank outsider

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

oscarthewilde posted:

Also, full voice acting is really distracting and pretty useless if you’re a quick reader

I don't think you have to be a particularly quick reader to be able to read faster than someone can speak. I don't consider myself a fast reader at all and I also found it distracting and annoying at times. I'm still glad it was added though, for accessibility, and for the character and atmosphere it adds. Depending on the VA or my mood at the time I would sometimes listen to it play out even when I'd already finished reading it, and it's not like you can't turn it off.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I'm not a fan of the VA for Ruby. She sounds like a lady calmly reading lines in a studio, not a desperate, paranoid woman who's been camping in an abandoned factory for days and is torturing you with a jerry-rigged sci-fi noise machine.

Ruby's voice weirdly made sense to me - maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the way she calmly discusses things made me think that she was somewhere on the spectrum or at least has a baseline that's really different from other folks. Not sure if Tommy's dialogue about her supports that or not.

Probably doesn't help that her hideout is right next to a pale anomaly :v:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The only one of the new VAs that I have a problem with is new Titus, who leans on the "gruff redneck" thing way too hard.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Nordick posted:

The only one of the new VAs that I have a problem with is new Titus, who leans on the "gruff redneck" thing way too hard.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005