Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

The professor's plan was dumb as gently caress though. Current and future pokemon living together? Does this genius professor not understand how evolution works? Absolute STEMlord engineer mindset

I think about this quite a lot myself honestly I was playing Scarlet so of course the plan was ancient pokemon and it kinda made more sense in a Jurassic World kind of way. But at the end of the day it still didn't make a lot of sense. Like how in the hell is that a paradise exactly? Then I realized in a small extremely childish kind of way it doesn't make a lot of sense because it's the Professor's childhood dream. The fact they've clung to it all of these years despite it being nonsensical doesn't really imply good things about their mental state to begin with. Let alone tossing aside all their adult responsibilities. (I.E. their kid and their business) to make it happen no matter the consequences. The fantastical nature of it also kinda leans into the fact they didn't actually make a time machine, they tapped into something a lot more eldritch and dangerous that makes personal wishes come true.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

big black turnout posted:

My hot pick is a normal pokeball because that's what I catch all the raid mons in

the normal Pokeball having a 100% catchrate rules. it is an icon!
incidentally, Master Balls in Gen 1 and 2 VC transfer up in Gen 7 to normal Pokeballs. this is notable to me because A) catching Mewtwo in a Pokeball turned out to be a waste of time/no bragging rights and B) PkHexing in stacks of 99x Master Balls turned out a huge huge time saver if I felt like having a run with cheats and didnt want to irritate myself aesthetically

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Flopsy posted:

I think about this quite a lot myself honestly I was playing Scarlet so of course the plan was ancient pokemon and it kinda made more sense in a Jurassic World kind of way. But at the end of the day it still didn't make a lot of sense. Like how in the hell is that a paradise exactly? Then I realized in a small extremely childish kind of way it doesn't make a lot of sense because it's the Professor's childhood dream. The fact they've clung to it all of these years despite it being nonsensical doesn't really imply good things about their mental state to begin with. Let alone tossing aside all their adult responsibilities. (I.E. their kid and their business) to make it happen no matter the consequences. The fantastical nature of it also kinda leans into the fact they didn't actually make a time machine, they tapped into something a lot more eldritch and dangerous that makes personal wishes come true.

Yeah I think the whole Build a Paradise component seemed to be related to the reported ability of these tera crystals to store (and create?) huge quantities of energy. Legitimately revolutionary stuff, but that effort got abandoned after people died in the crater expedition.

Then Sada went back and built a time machine and a robot copy of herself because she's pretty loving deranged turns out.

The former is poorly developed of course because the real reason for all of this is to get cool 'Mons

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

I'm loving Pokemon Violet so much. Just got my 7th gym badge and am going to go do other things because I take on the last one. This is the first time in a while where I've had a difficult time decided which Pokemon to raise/train. Lots of faves in this gen.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Have two shiny Iron Valiants (best new mon) and only need one! First goon to PM me gets it.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
RAIDS:

Every pokemon and every different Star-rating for that pokemon has a specific 'script'. The script is all the stuff they do 'between turns', including putting up Shields, stealing energy from your Tera Orb, clearing buffs or debuffs, and using moves that aren't among their four 'known' moves once you catch them.

Raid Scripts trigger based on both HP AND Time, in a 'whichever comes first' format. e: The Script is 'canceled' if the raid pokemon hits 0HP.

If you deal 95% of a 5-star raid pokemon's health in one shot at the start of a raid, this is what will happen:
- Raid Poké will make their move for the round, assuming you went first.
- All its pre-shield scripts are triggered
- It will put up its shield and clear itself of status ailments
- All its post-shield scripts are triggered
- Your allies pile onto its shield at some point and barely make a scratch
- Your Leftovers heal goes off, taking another second from your life
- - > Now you get to kill it.

This is why it's sometimes far faster to go solo and to buff-self, debuff-defenses, and then try to one-shot the raid-mon before it can put its shield up at the 50-60% HP mark.

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 15, 2022

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Lux Animus posted:

RAIDS:

Every pokemon and every different Star-rating for that pokemon has a specific 'script'. The script is all the stuff they do 'between turns', including putting up Shields, stealing energy from your Tera Orb, clearing buffs or debuffs, and using moves that aren't among their four 'known' moves once you catch them.

Raid Scripts trigger based on both HP AND Time, in a 'whichever comes first' format.

If you deal 95% of a 5-star raid pokemon's health in one shot at the start of a raid, this is what will happen:

This is why it's sometimes far faster to go solo and to buff-self, debuff-defenses, and then try to one-shot the raid-mon before it can put its shield up at the 50-60% HP mark.

what the gently caress!!! thank you so much! I had no clue... I shouldve known. a script. this is a true game changer how I approach these now but I feel I am somehow given the curse of knowledge

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Caught a shiny Iron Bundle, he's all-chrome like the T-1000. I guess I probly gotta train him up on principle.

Also I started this post to ask how the hell you guys are doing raids alone, obviously you just have to go into online mode and trigger the raid before any other people join in (duh) (right?)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Why tf is 6 star dragonite at +3 Attack +4 Speed after a single Dragon Dance

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Diet Poison posted:

Also I started this post to ask how the hell you guys are doing raids alone, obviously you just have to go into online mode and trigger the raid before any other people join in (duh) (right?)

Can you not see the "challenge alone" option or is this a bit I'm not getting?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Echophonic posted:

Anyone have a hot pick for an apricorn ball to stuff the event Charizard in? I think I already have one from Sword in my usual Lux ball and I'm not a huge fan of Beast in general.

I put mine in a fast ball because it was aesthetically pleasing. Matches Charizard's look pretty well I think.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I'm about to dive into the world of sandwiches and shiny hunting but the info out there seems all over the place. I saw this guide to sandwich making:

https://imgur.com/a/BTuymY3

and it seems pretty straightforward. Is there someone that can give me the basic order of operations? Is it as easy as make sandwich with only the ingredients in screenshot > eat sandwich > go to place where pokemon spawns > catch shiny hopefully?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
imo:
Pokeball, Fast Ball and Repeat Ball are great choices
Moon Ball or maybe even Ultra Ball if you trying for Shiny later
Net Ball if you find the idea of catching a Dragon Charizard in a small net amusing
Master Ball if youre hardcore

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Asking same. Even playing offline I never have enough time to set up without the AI randos just rushing in like idiots and ruining all of my buffs and debuffs and triggering the shield.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

humpthewind posted:

I'm about to dive into the world of sandwiches and shiny hunting but the info out there seems all over the place. I saw this guide to sandwich making:

https://imgur.com/a/BTuymY3

and it seems pretty straightforward. Is there someone that can give me the basic order of operations? Is it as easy as make sandwich with only the ingredients in screenshot > eat sandwich > go to place where pokemon spawns > catch shiny hopefully?

Basically. If you're not hunting in area zero you can go to the place of the pokemon you want, do a picnic eat the sammy and go hunting. Protip, turn autosave off, save BEFORE MAKING THE SAMMY, if you don't catch a shiny or you're trying to catch 3-4 and don't you can reset and try again without losing mats. If you're going to area zero you can picnic in front of the ramp that leads to the area zero entrance building.

Another tip, if you're in an area you can picnic in while hunting you can start a picnic then close it and the makes the pokemon in the area respawn. Personally I prefer running around to make them spawn but I've seen the picnic trick work in some videos.

The first image in that link is all you need if shiny hunting solo and those sandwiches are easy to make, another protip is that you can drop the top slice of bread off to the side if you find ingredients keep falling off when you try to top the sandwich.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I didn’t think you could picnic anywhere in area 0? Are there spots that you can?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Framboise posted:

Asking same. Even playing offline I never have enough time to set up without the AI randos just rushing in like idiots and ruining all of my buffs and debuffs and triggering the shield.

ideally you setup in like 5-6 turns and use a move where the trade off of rest or recoil doesnt matter as the extra power pushes you over. the charizard one shot w sylveon was a pixellated hyper beam after 3 calm minds, 2 if you life orb, and 3 fake tears, but if an npc trainer brought a big spatk pokemon like their own sylveon you would run and try again cos that would usually push it to the shield when you were doing the debuffs specifically.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I didn’t think you could picnic anywhere in area 0? Are there spots that you can?

No, you can picnic in the area you fly to when u want to access area 0 tho, and you can't use the picnic respawn trick in area zero at all.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Wow I really can’t imagine them implementing tera shards in any worse a way.

I want to make my Iron Valiant Tera Grass to beat Amoongus. So I look online how to make level 2 grass raid sandwiches. Only all my grass raids for the day are level 3 despite beating the game and unlocking level 6 raids. This means all my sandwich does is give me some extra mushrooms and I just get two tera shards.

So I have to go online. Only it takes two minutes to be able to refresh the raid list, and trying to join a raid means you wait a minute only to not be let in. I finally join a raid and my teammates immediately die and the timer is depleted in 50 seconds.

This is just completely garbage.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the online system, garbage as it may be, is hugely improved from sword and shield where it simply did not function at all

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Uh, yeah, when I hit "challenge alone" it says "good news some AI dinks are here to help you" immediately. But I've probably never selected that option while online. I dunno, I don't have my Switch in front of me, I can't remember if the menu is the same or not.
If you're in Online Mode and hit Challenge Alone does that not happen then? I haven't tried that yet because I only ever turn online mode on when I'm actually trying to join a raid with other people.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Would have loved if this was the first time Pokemon did things like eat and fight in the wild and trainers did anything at all but be idle sentries

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

there has to be a better way to get tera shards. 50 is too drat much

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

Uh, yeah, when I hit "challenge alone" it says "good news some AI dinks are here to help you" immediately. But I've probably never selected that option while online. I dunno, I don't have my Switch in front of me, I can't remember if the menu is the same or not.
If you're in Online Mode and hit Challenge Alone does that not happen then? I haven't tried that yet because I only ever turn online mode on when I'm actually trying to join a raid with other people.

Oh no, the AI players always come. But in a 5 or 6 star raid they tend to accomplish so little that it doesn't matter.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

PittTheElder posted:

Oh no, the AI players always come. But in a 5 or 6 star raid they tend to accomplish so little that it doesn't matter.

That actually helps because it give you time to set up without the shield going up.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

PittTheElder posted:

Uh, understood, thanks. The way people were phrasing it I assumed that meant you could get into a one-on-one raid and not have to worry about babysitting random AI trash.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Scuba Trooper posted:

It’s so aggressively terrible that it screams DLC, like making Gigantamax Pokémon impossible to catch and then letting you get them no problem with Max Soup in the Isle of Armor.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Scuba Trooper posted:

Ive been playing nonstop in my spare time since the 18th and the most I have of any one type is 34!

Over 2/3rds of the way there! Hot drat!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

Uh, understood, thanks. The way people were phrasing it I assumed that meant you could get into a one-on-one raid and not have to worry about babysitting random AI trash.

I wonder if you can use the communication system to just tell them to use the power up chants rather than attacking. I have seen them but have not tried them.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

Not in my experience. Usually by the time I've got 3 Fake Tears and 1 Calm Mind they've got it to the point where it's removing debuffs at best or triggering the shield at worst (along with all the other bullshit.)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Lux Animus posted:

RAIDS:

Raid Scripts trigger based on both HP AND Time, in a 'whichever comes first' format. e: The Script is 'canceled' if the raid pokemon hits 0HP.

oh. this implies that everybody in a raid would ideally spend the first few turns using buffing/debuffing moves, before each (ideally simultaneously) using a single attacking move to deal massive damage all at once.

I've just been spamming damage-dealing moves and never using buffing or debuffing moves, because it seemed as though the boss pokemon's "wipe all player buffs" and "wipe all my debuffs" moves were just things that happened entirely at random and capriciously. which is also how it worked in sword/shield, so I've been trained to think that way

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Diet Poison posted:

you dont have to babysit them, if AI teammates die it doesn't actually affect the timer at all

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hammerite posted:

oh. this implies that everybody in a raid would ideally spend the first few turns using buffing/debuffing moves, before each (ideally simultaneously) using a single attacking move to deal massive damage all at once

The issue is that you can't all attack simultaneously, the instant anyone brings it past the shield limit everyone else's boosts are sacrificed, in a bizarre sort of prisoner's dilemma.

Which is the strength of the Perrserker setup; 3 people would focus on debuffing the raid mon, while the other one would buff itself, and only one person would ever attack. But of course that requires that everyone actually be aware of what the meta is.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I've been trying to do a kind of cleric role recently, just using the cheers (which is partly because my mons for raiding are still a bit lackluster, because I haven't actually trained any up that aren't my in game team)

It's fun because you have to keep tabs on what all the other participants are doing. to the extent that that's possible.

I should train up a mon specifically to take into raids to do that. What's a good mon for doing that with?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Super No Vacancy posted:

the online system, garbage as it may be, is hugely improved from sword and shield where it simply did not function at all

yeah it's honestly impressive both how awful it was in swish and how vastly, inexpressibly much it's improved in scavio (while still not being great)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
tera shards shouldn't be typed. either make it impossible to change tera types or make it only mildly inconvenient to change tera types. "grind for 10+ hours to get the Pokémon you want" is the worst possible option

I would have made tera types have more restrictions on them (ie the only way you can ever get a flying Pikachu is via the mystery gift) to make event mons extra unique but letting everyone be everything isn't a bad choice either

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

^^ Tera shards being untyped would have been good, but also gently caress gate keeping 'Mon type combos like that. Even the idea of Charizard only being available in these two weekend events seem dumb to me (except that I'm confident they'll do it again)

Hammerite posted:

I should train up a mon specifically to take into raids to do that. What's a good mon for doing [cleric stuff] with?

Somebody once brought in a Chansey/Blissey to one of my raids that was absolutely doing work for the team

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 15, 2022

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Im noodling around with the recommended Dachsbun set before Charizard shows up and its been fun buffing and healing

I can see Support going places

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
strongly wish that they would bring back BW2's Hard Mode in future games (albeit with a far less stupid unlock condition). The fights in these games are so much fun when you take them on underleveled - you can do larry at level ~25 but he'll make you work for it - but it's a shame that you can only do a couple of gyms like that unless you basically throw out your team for every town. Brassius is a fantastically insane bastard, but I'll never be able to have an enjoyable fight with him because he's an early gym leader.

nemona truly is the most relateable rival in the series. stop holding back and fight me for real, dammit! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I was legitimately sad when Nemona didn't just roll over me at some point. Perhaps my fault for being overlevelled but it would have been hilarious if she also showed up to the school tourney with a bunch of level 90 pokemon.