Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

iirc, twitter's rise is pseudo astroturf, like I remember ancient lets play threads and other early youtubers just using it as a push notification system/hey we're doing thing(which tiwtter itself said was a one of its features) but journos and other old media types jumped on twitter because they missed zuckbook , youtube, and some other big internet thing and want to be on the groundfloor for birdsite.

youtube does not make any sense for journalists to use to broadcast some short informatory messages. i don't really know how well facebook would work with that but twitter was a much better fit for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

learnincurve posted:

Yeh, he sort of wandered round Washington in his slacks and red hat looking sad while eating a box of those giant Maltesers Americans have. Then he got on a plane and went home.

Whoppers? That's the saddest goddamn thing I've heard, but funny as hell though

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at Musk's pale white snake being more alien than the alien chestburster.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Twitter limits people to short sharp statements and so is the easiest source of concise vox pop opinions to throw into your "article".

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Rigel posted:

Well if it makes you feel better.... or at least less-bad, the tax deduction is smaller if you give to a charity that you control specifically because of suspicions that maybe some of the money won't be charitably spent. Many wealthy people will still do it anyway even if they had good intentions and honestly intend to be charitable, for the ego boost of having their own charity that they run, but those private charities usually won't get contributions from anyone else because they usually want to contribute to charities that will give them the highest deduction.

absolutely nothing anyone says can make me feel better about the billionaire class, but, I do appreciate the information as this gives me insight into charitable contributions of the rich that I did not have.

in this specific case the thing that most raises my eyebrows is that I do not believe for one second that the "Musk Foundation" is "mostly concerned with doing good, charitable work" and the fact that charity rating places don't even offer an opinion does little to alleviate this.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

learnincurve posted:

European views on Tesla and US views are not the same. Mostly because you got stuff like the superior Corsa E base model at £29k at the low end and "sure I'll go for a Tesla" said no European who can afford a Mercedes-Benz EQC.

e: lol the Porsche Taycan is cheaper than the Tesla equivalent.

How are you calculating the taycan being cheaper?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

goatface posted:

Twitter limits people to short sharp statements and so is the easiest source of concise vox pop opinions to throw into your "article".

soon to be a nice short 4000 characters

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Lol. It's only been like six weeks since he closed on Twitter. Comedy is back baby

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's almost like he doesn't understand why it worked and how it was used.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

goatface posted:

you can farm Takes anywhere, it's just a lot less effort to do it on the platform you already use. You could get the same content just as easily from Facebook replies but nobody who can actually read wants to read through the poo poo on Facebook.

The only thing Twitter had going for it structurally was it was extremely mobile-friendly in an era where smartphones were still new, extremely limited in their capacities, and mainly a rich person toy. 140 characters, the hashtags, these are all things that were very desirable when you were a media or tech person updating everyone on what you had for lunch on the metro ride between press conferences on what at the time may have been an actual flip phone. That historical context cemented it as the place affluent media/tech people do their blogging, and unless there's a war with China it's not coming back and nobody's capturing that same demo the same way.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 15, 2022

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
As far as Twitter replacements go, Post.social seems…okay. Feels like NextDoor, but without people screaming about new mosques opening in their towns.

It’s almost like the toxicity is the appeal of Twitter. If I can’t doom scroll on a platform for 12 hours a day I might as well just read a book. Also I cannot get used to the lack of character limits. I didn’t spend years mastering abbreviations and simplicity in language to make longform poo poo posts.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Fargo Season 2 rules.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Flowers for QAnon posted:

How are you calculating the taycan being cheaper?

£75k base model, with a top model going for nearly twice that, at £142k, for those watching at home.

Interesting tidbit found while looking that up:

"...For example, let’s look at the 997 generation of the Porsche 911. In 2012, you could buy a base 911 Carrera for $79,000. Or you could step up to one of the range-topping versions: a 911 Turbo S Cabriolet, with a starting price of $172,100 — a little under twice that of the Carrera.

The 997 range didn’t stop at the Turbo S Cabriolet, though. There was another edition of that trim level, called the 911 Turbo S Edition 918 Spyder, and it started at $196,400 for the cabriolet. The Edition 918 Spyder, though, wasn’t just some cheap homage to the marvelous 918 — it was one of the 918’s options.

Like snacking on bread and olive oil while the chef prepares your main course, 918 Spyder customers could order this 911 to tide them over while awaiting their actual car. Of course, the car’s standalone MSRP was only about twice that of a base 911, but in order to buy one, you had to also spend at least the 918 Spyder’s original base price of about $850,000. This means there was a version of the 911 that cost less than eighty grand, and also a version that required over a million dollars to own. The Turbo S Edition 918 Spyder cost over thirteen times the base Carrera..."

If your 911 Turbo S Edition 918 Spyder doesn't have a, "My other car is also a Porsche.", bumper sticker, why even bother?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

B-Rock452 posted:

Fargo Season 2 rules.

Fargo Season 2 does indeed rule.

Dude is a really good actor. He was also in the Sopranos as a music producer and the last Ghostbusters where he got to say, "Who ya gonna call?" It was a smaller part, but super important to land just right.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

https://twitter.com/DavidSacks/status/1603431253365039119

real-time assassination coordinates is a good username.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That Twitter user looks like the type to desperately defend the rights of right wingers who show up at drag events with the intent to kill someone.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Seems fake even though it's hilarious.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AARD VARKMAN posted:

soon to be a nice short 4000 characters

All forms of written word on the internet are converging on the format of long-winded mommy-blogger recipes, and it's cursed.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think tweets should be a minimum of 4000 characters. Quick! get this idea to Elon immediately!

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Doctor Butts posted:

Seems fake even though it's hilarious.

Yeah that account doesn't exist. Funny as gently caress tho

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

h3r0n posted:

This guy is dumb as poo poo

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tarkus posted:

I think tweets should be a minimum of 4000 characters. Quick! get this idea to Elon immediately!

*adding a stream of laugh cry emojis until I can upload my tweet*

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

madeintaipei posted:

£75k base model, with a top model going for nearly twice that, at £142k, for those watching at home.

But that’s still more expensive than the Tesla prices they provided..? (£44,490 )

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Interesting watermark

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Cabbages and Kings posted:

absolutely nothing anyone says can make me feel better about the billionaire class, but, I do appreciate the information as this gives me insight into charitable contributions of the rich that I did not have.

in this specific case the thing that most raises my eyebrows is that I do not believe for one second that the "Musk Foundation" is "mostly concerned with doing good, charitable work" and the fact that charity rating places don't even offer an opinion does little to alleviate this.

Even in the absolute best of circumstances viewed in the most charitable light, private foundations (which are these rich-guy-controlled charities that only give you a smaller deduction) are still not great and I think the only reason we tolerate them is because for some of these rich evil fucks, the only way to get them to give any money at all is if they get to have total control over what cause or exactly which type of poor person for which purpose they deem to be worthy, so we will allow a smaller deduction for them in exchange for less oversight.

There are rules against self-dealing but there's two obvious problems. First, as we know from Trump, the Feds don't really have the time and resources to audit these things well unless someone tells them someone is using one for tax fraud and there's a lot of money involved. Second, also as we know from Trump, you can legally self-deal by having friends "work" for the charity, have the charity buy things it "needs" from your business, have the charity decide it really needs that 5 million dollar painting and the best charitable use is to display it in your home, etc. (OK that last one is not legal, but good luck catching that)

And then the charity can just sit on the pile of money they have for a long time, because they are only required to distribute 5% of its assets annually to charitable purposes. So best case scenario some old gently caress is convinced by his tax accountant and/or estate planning lawyers to give $50MM to the old gently caress private foundation, run by his son who earns a reasonable salary (which is probably the most that is legally reasonable for the least hours or work legally required), but alas for the next 10 years old gently caress can't find a worthy recipient for his generous donations, so the search continues for another year to find a use for the foundation, so I suppose once again we will give the 5% we absolutely must give to whoever. If you are lucky, old gently caress eventually does find a way to give the money to someone, its not fraud, and its not for some evil "charitable" purpose like convincing kids to be good christians.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 15, 2022

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Jelly posted:

Interesting watermark

yikes

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
https://twitter.com/keithedwards/status/1603183073113563137

This is fake flight data making the rounds on social media today. Some people are getting upset because they think only chuds are allowed to spread fake news and "we" (non-chuds) are "better than this," and I'm just LOLing that more people are now leaning into idea that Musk is a pedo guy and a piece of poo poo, as they should. Nobody should care about Elon's dignity.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

But that’s still more expensive than the Tesla prices they provided..? (£44,490 )

That price is for a Model 3, the most comparable Tesla to a Taycan is the Model S, and that starts at £90k

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

h3r0n posted:

I love how these dumbos go from zero to 60 on something like this. Like before Elon banned it, I’ll bet this person never once suggested that real-time jet tracking was an issue. I’ll bet they didn’t even mention real-time jet tracking.

Elon bans it on Twitter, and suddenly he’s righting a centuries old leftist, Democrat transgression, I guess, one that the likes of CNN (:argh:) were only to happy to exploit. CNN lusts for billionaire death!

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Yeh, he sort of wandered round Washington in his slacks and red hat looking sad while eating a box of those giant Maltesers Americans have. Then he got on a plane and went home.

I imagine his MAGA hat was not greeted with cries of delight and support on 1/7/2021 by the DCers …

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/trizzlor/status/1602869024387481601

:downsbravo:

That’s what everyone has been saying for awhile - what is holding back Twitter, a microblogging platform you primarily use on your phone to write small shitposts, is lack of 1080p video

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

sticksy posted:

That’s what everyone has been saying for awhile - what is holding back Twitter, a microblogging platform you primarily use on your phone to write small shitposts, is lack of 1080p video

Learning that Elon is still liquidating billions of his Tesla fortune and that he truly still believes he can make Twitter profitable makes me happy. He's not even close to giving up and will control to shovel his money into this stupid fire.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i won't be happy until i can tweet 8k video with dolby vision and atmos support

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
20k character count and elon will charge by the character

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
8 bucks a month for HD reaction gifs?

https://i.imgur.com/GGWqole.mp4

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
8 bucks a month for 1080p streaming current releases

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trying to break into the lucrative Plex Share market

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Different Tesla there was a one going for something like £90k-£110k that is trying to look like an electric Porsche and it has worse features than the base model actual electric Porsche

Fun fact: the electric Porsche is going to have a much higher K/D ratio than the Tesla without even having to install self driving programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

sticksy posted:

lol why is Musky offering 1000ps? do 10000ps, the highend right now is 8000ps, go and make it and even 10 000K Musky.