Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

lobotomy molo posted:

the mods are too darn busy to do any of those things they’ve got their hands full permabanning sexpig for no reason :) :)

“there must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect” -some admin

free larry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

really queer Christmas posted:

I don't care where you post, talking about how animals need to be killed should be permad

this would be a good rule

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I think Larry would be as excited to return here as Donald Trump was for Twitter

VideoKid posted:

this would be a good rule

I was kidding around a little previously but probably yeah

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

redneck nazgul posted:

refusing to use buttons and moderator authority except in the obvious cases of rulebreaking or when another forum piles in to gawk is how cspam managed to achieve all of the following:

a dipshit in an elementary waving a razor blade for vlog clout when he wasn't noticeably increasing the forums revenue by plastering his face everywhere
a thread that radicalized the scourge of pacific northwestern proud boy toes
a goonfund run by the laziest possible person instead of being given parameters before it was allowed to not be gassed on sight
a "containment" thread for baiting people into arguing with the most tedious and contrarian centrist takes since the media literacy thread

and the takeaway from all of this is "no, mods should use their buttons less and just let posters riff it out"

Which is the "containment" thread?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

People hated the Glenn thread but they couldn’t help but read it and get angry

A big part of why it was such a fun thread to read until it wasn’t

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Hootington posted:

the one full of d&d mods, op

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

lobotomy molo posted:

the one full of d&d mods, op

What threads do you post in?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Hootington posted:

What threads do you post in?

i don’t post much anymore. jeff keeps banning me for not being nice enough :) :)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I didn't recognize the new username fly molo. Welcome back

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

it's not the one you IK because you sure as hell aren't containing him there

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mr Hootington posted:

We should have a mod feedback thread where they tell the posters how much the mods hate them.

Been thinking this myself.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gas

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Weka posted:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weka posted:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

animals need to be killed in minecraft to produce porkchops

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
azathoth, can you weigh in on why so many more cspammers have been getting banned? it seems like an obvious trend (+400%), but so far only crusty nutsack has chosen to comment on the situation (by denying it exists).

your feedback would be very much appreciated. :) :)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
or please feel free to post the sexpig pms. either is fine

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Calibanibal posted:

animals need to be killed in minecraft to produce porkchops

leaking fly molos perma reason is sick, even for you

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

lobotomy molo posted:

or please feel free to post the sexpig pms. either is fine

Pls

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lessail posted:

the leon trotsky 2012 bit you are running needs to stop. it has worn out its welcome.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

lobotomy molo posted:

azathoth, can you weigh in on why so many more cspammers have been getting banned? it seems like an obvious trend (+400%), but so far only crusty nutsack has chosen to comment on the situation (by denying it exists).

I told you it's a bad look to defend someone who wants to murder dogs, I did not comment on whatever ridiculous forums war poo poo you're on right now

bane mask golem
Sep 16, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cranappleberry posted:

he is not a bad politics poster and also the way he made d&d posters mad was v funny.

the idea that mods consider themselves shaping the culture or w/e of the subforums they manage is weird. That's how you end up with Bobbie Wickham e/n.

They have a bigger impact than other posters for sure but, for the most part, they should just act like regular posters. But if you want to shape cspam, shape into a crinkled ball and toss into the trash >:]

For me I think I've stated a few times that I think mods shouldn't be here to do that, and that the best we can do is to help foster and support what the community of posters here wants as long as it's not going to be incredibly illegal or insane or anything. I think most of us are on the same page on that front with regards to CSPAM specifically.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

this

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

maybe cspammers are getting disproportionately permabanned because they have 400% more alts than the average poster

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Dreylad posted:

For me I think I've stated a few times that I think mods shouldn't be here to do that, and that the best we can do is to help foster and support what the community of posters here wants as long as it's not going to be incredibly illegal or insane or anything. I think most of us are on the same page on that front with regards to CSPAM specifically.

to be serious for a minute i think a major problem with a vague mission statement like "i want to support the community that posters want as long as it's not completely insane" is that different people are necessarily going to have different ideas of what a normal vs insane forums culture would look like, and conflict is going to arise from that. dont know how to solve that though.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

speng31b posted:

my take after getting some distance is it probably would have been better to admit earlier that thread needed heavier handed moderation for the "im here to say how i want tankies to die" style of stuff earlier, instead of just "let them post it out until they melt down".

Yep and to be clear that is 100% on me as I was the one modding that thread almost exclusively for a long time. I learned a lot about modding contentious threads from that thread and I definitely erred on the side of letting people go buck wild.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I have no direct insight into who gets targeted to permabans obviously but the general trend I'm seeing here from the outside suggests that Jeffrey (and others but it feels like it's mostly Jeff) is really losing patience for Getting Angry About Politics/Slapfights Between Politics Forums etc.

Which, you know, on one hand I get it, people you're nominally responsible for on some level screaming at each other 24/7 is gonna always be an uncomfortable feeling. Not that the mods are really responsible for us in any real way beyond "please don't poo poo up the forums for everyone else" (which some moderators would do well to remember/take on board/agree with me because I'm right) but still it's gotta suck.

The thing is, these are not just academic disagreements, the bad political poo poo going on in the world is affecting peoples' lives, including people on these forums, and only rarely for the better. Getting angry is a natural response and a justified response, even if directing that anger at people who are largely as powerless as you or I to affect any real change may be misguided.

I've said before that the state of the world is such that no one is okay, everyone is being ground down, and exercising a bit of extra patience and (especially) kindness toward the people around us is more necessary than ever. That certainly applies to posters who CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT THAT WEIRD rear end in a top hat SAID IN [INSERT FORUM HERE] but it also applies to moderators who CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT THAT WEIRD rear end in a top hat SAID IN [INSERT FORUM WHERE I HAVE BUTTONS HERE].

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

to be serious for a minute i think a major problem with a vague mission statement like "i want to support the community that posters want as long as it's not completely insane" is that different people are necessarily going to have different ideas of what a normal vs insane forums culture would look like, and conflict is going to arise from that. dont know how to solve that though.

for sure, and there's inevitably going to be disagreement about that because we all have preferences for what we would want this place to be. Besides just doing moderating things, I've tried to sticky posts that might generate interest around reading books and an avatar giveaway. Not a lot, I admit, but the U/R thread took up a ton of my time since February.

docbeard posted:

I've said before that the state of the world is such that no one is okay, everyone is being ground down, and exercising a bit of extra patience and (especially) kindness toward the people around us is more necessary than ever. That certainly applies to posters who CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT THAT WEIRD rear end in a top hat SAID IN [INSERT FORUM HERE] but it also applies to moderators who CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT THAT WEIRD rear end in a top hat SAID IN [INSERT FORUM WHERE I HAVE BUTTONS HERE].

agreed with the whole post, but especially to echo what vyelkin said: we should never feel pressured to take immediate mod action on 99% of posts if we're feeling heated about something. nothing wrong with asking someone else to look at it or just take 24 hours and come back to it.

I knew the U/R thread was going to generate a lot of heat because of how different the perspectives posted there were going to be from everywhere else and how that inevitably was going to cause friction, and let the admins know early on but I think things went beyond what they really expected.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 21:55 on Dec 15, 2022

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

docbeard posted:

Yeah. But I'm not sure how we get here.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

since we know the technical ability to exist, maybe the solution is to remove the ability to see upsetting forums from people who aren't able to look at them without getting upset.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

lobotomy molo posted:

I had been reading the thread for a while, and came up with the permas, bans, and probes that were justified based on posting in the C-SPAM thread, and that is it. I didn't read the GBS thread beyond seeing the occasional report, as another admin did the same thing that I did. For the C-SPAM thread, we arrived at what we did based on the posts the posters made in C-SPAM, not because we were saying something like "well if we want to ban <X> from the C-SPAM thread, we need to find someone from the GBS thread to make the numbers even". That would be asinine because we don't moderate C-SPAM based on what GBS does, and GBS doesn't moderate based on what C-SPAM does.

Your whole argument is predicated on the idea that there was a forum war between C-SPAM and GBS, and that if we did something to C-SPAM, we had to do the same to GBS and vice versa and that's just dumb.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

lobotomy molo posted:

What’s your deal

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Azathoth posted:

Your whole argument is predicated on the idea that there was a forum war between C-SPAM and GBS, and that if we did something to C-SPAM, we had to do the same to GBS and vice versa and that's just dumb.

the impression given was that every permaban from GBS for the war thread was met with one from CSPAM, which checks out per the leper's colony. more people got regular bans from the GBS thread, but that's also the thread that had more people posting in it. :shrug:

it may have not been intentional but i can't blame someone on either side looking at the results and going "that side got off easy, there must have been some sort of negotiation or tit-for-tat"

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Azathoth posted:

It is extremely dumb. Unfortunately, due to the themes and population of the U/K thread, there are a non-zero number of posters who have psychically willed a forums war into being.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Azathoth posted:

I had been reading the thread for a while, and came up with the permas, bans, and probes that were justified based on posting in the C-SPAM thread, and that is it. I didn't read the GBS thread beyond seeing the occasional report, as another admin did the same thing that I did. For the C-SPAM thread, we arrived at what we did based on the posts the posters made in C-SPAM, not because we were saying something like "well if we want to ban <X> from the C-SPAM thread, we need to find someone from the GBS thread to make the numbers even". That would be asinine because we don't moderate C-SPAM based on what GBS does, and GBS doesn't moderate based on what C-SPAM does.

What I'm getting from this is that you approached the effort to shift the forums culture more sincerely.

Anyway, it's nice that around here almost always you can post with mods like they aren't mods, you all are doing a pretty good job at resisting the whisper of the buttons.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

redneck nazgul posted:

the impression given was that every permaban from GBS for the war thread was met with one from CSPAM, which checks out per the leper's colony. more people got regular bans from the GBS thread, but that's also the thread that had more people posting in it. :shrug:

it may have not been intentional but i can't blame someone on either side looking at the results and going "that side got off easy, there must have been some sort of negotiation or tit-for-tat"

That is my memory of how it shook out, though we didn't have a goal of "one for one" at any point. We read the threads and came up with what we came up with based on the posts people made, not out of some weird desire for parity.

I thought that it roughly ended up being about even on permas and more bans for the GBS thread, with the GBS thread getting more if anything, but I'm phoneposting so I couldn't easily trawl the Leper's Colony looking for it.

I can understand people wanting to view it as one "side" getting off easy (which I'm guessing GBS thinks about C-SPAM too but whatever) but the idea that GBS and C-SPAM are at war was the same bullshit dynamic that made the thread into such a problem. Each thread had problems, we addressed the C-SPAM one and as near as I can tell the GBS one got addressed too. It just so happened that we had roughly equal permas and GBS got a couple more bans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Azathoth posted:

my man, there doesn't have to be anyone going 'nyah nyah i'm going to go get those cspamers' in some elaborate plot and nothing mentioned requires one. please be a materialist

imagine a situation with two police districts, and one has 400% more arrests than the other. now if you ask anyone who is working in either of the districts they don't twiddle their mustache (because cop mustache's are too short) and they don't necessarily think they are doing anything differently if you asked them, just making calls based on what they actually see

but the 400% happens for reasons that have largely nothing to do with the individual qualities or virtues of the people making the decisions in the moment. this is how police think they aren't racist even as they arrest way more Black people, because liberalism has done this cool slight of hand where you're supposed to evaluate what you feel or believe instead of what you do

literally no one has to actually think the thought 'i should come down harder on x or balance with y' for that to be the practical result