Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Back Hack posted:

It's definitely weird how wishy-washy they've been, we have yet to see any consistent gameplay that wasn't a bunch of 30 second gameplay snippits glued together randomly, and that includes that showcase they did.

I'm thinking Starfield is probably not coming out until near the end of 2023, it wouldn't surprise me if it was pushed into 2024.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

I said come in! posted:

I'm thinking Starfield is probably not coming out until near the end of 2023, it wouldn't surprise me if it was pushed into 2024.

Honestly I would be happy with that, there's so many good games coming out this year I need some of them to get pushed back.

Now if all of them get pushed back then that's a problem...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

Honestly I would be happy with that, there's so many good games coming out this year I need some of them to get pushed back.

Now if all of them get pushed back then that's a problem...

I don't think my heart can handle what happened in 2020 (this exact scenario occurred). :(

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It'll be ten god-damned years before Starfield 2 so please, by all means, delay this one as much as you need to if it gives us a better game.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The wait for Starfield is one thing but imagine being an Elder Scrolls fan, good luck even seeing a proper trailer before 2025.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a large percentage of elder scrolls fans in their 50s and some in their 40s will not see another one after 6

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DaysBefore posted:

The wait for Starfield is one thing but imagine being an Elder Scrolls fan, good luck even seeing a proper trailer before 2025.

Fallout fans are looking at what 2030 at the earliest? I still reckon that MS will somehow convince Bethesda to do something else with fallout before the next releases as that's crazy.

No 76 doesn't count.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm actually surprised that Bethesda hasn't officially divided into multiple teams tied to each of their tentpole franchises. I know they have some satellite offices that handle games i.e. whatever branch did Fallout 76. But I kinda thought that once the burlap sacks full of Microsoft money started flowing in they'd have to divide into the 'Fallout Team' and the 'Elder Scrolls Team' etc. to get the games out sooner and make the suits money even faster.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Cavauro posted:

a large percentage of elder scrolls fans in their 50s and some in their 40s will not see another one after 6

I'm in my 40s and not in great health so I'm genuinely just hoping to see Starfield! ES6 seems petty unlikely.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

dr_rat posted:

Fallout fans are looking at what 2030 at the earliest? I still reckon that MS will somehow convince Bethesda to do something else with fallout before the next releases as that's crazy.

No 76 doesn't count.

confusingly, fallout 5 will be released in '76

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Obsidian does New Vegas 2 when

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
Ah, nevermind, I'm dumb. I thought there was an official source saying that this Wednesday there'd be a Direct

Merry Deciever fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 1, 2023

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Merry Deciever posted:

Ah, nevermind, I'm dumb

WHAT ARE YOU HIDING, MERRY DECIEVER?

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
Might as well get some discussion going. I guess this game is going to have a lot of Procedural Generation in it, what with the 1000 planets and whatnot. The most obvious and bad of that I've ever gotten from bethesda games was Fallout 3's Tunnel system, though Oblivion also reused a ton of assets. Fallout 4 also re-uses a lot of assets and configurations, but it IS less obvious. It's there, but not nearly as bad IMO.

Makes me wonder if we'll have mods that tweak the biomes and room configurations and whatnot. A roguelike mode could actually be kinda fun

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
Bethesda games going literally back to Arena always have had a lot of proc-gen, though really, if you could ignore the random parts and focus on going to the actual tailor made content, sort of like the "JIP fast travel" mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/52129

(Or just fallout 1 and 2's travel system) and than just explore at random when you want to, I could see starfield is being hailed as one of the best. Has it been confirmed that you can land anywhere, or is it strictly the same spots every time?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The Twitterverse was going all-in on a possible announcement for the showcase this week, no idea how those rumors were started. Could be just another big old echo chamber.

Merry Deciever posted:

Bethesda games going literally back to Arena always have had a lot of proc-gen, though really, if you could ignore the random parts and focus on going to the actual tailor made content, sort of like the "JIP fast travel" mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/52129

(Or just fallout 1 and 2's travel system) and than just explore at random when you want to, I could see starfield is being hailed as one of the best. Has it been confirmed that you can land anywhere, or is it strictly the same spots every time?

It's been confirmed you can land anywhere, I think it was in one of the developer directs.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I am constantly returning to a truth about the elder scrolls games, and what it means for games about large open worlds more generally:

Daggerfall illustrates that size alone isn't what conveys a sense of exploration.

Daggerfall is the actual size of the UK, while Morrowind is the size of, what, Disney World? Except Daggerfall ISN'T actually that big in a practical sense because you travel to locations from a menu. In effect, Daggerfall is many (many) maps you just load up.

So, the smaller game actually feels larger because the trip from Seydna Neen to Balmora might be relatively compressed, but it's real, you can walk it - you can get lost, or notice something the tenth or even the hundredth time you've done it. That's fundamentally not going to happen in Daggerfall. What Daggerfall essentially has is Oblivion's or Skyrim's fast travel system with no option for wilderness travel/exploration.

You see the same thing in No Man's Sky. Is the game world big? Sure, I guess, it doesn't really matter, just watch the ship take you to another planet.

Speaking of the planets, there's a big problem Proc Gen games had - I've seen it in Daggerfall, in Valhiem, and in No Man's Sky - once you've seen SOME of an area, there's no reason to see MORE of it.

How much of the Black Forest Biome is in Valhiem? Who knows or cares, they're all the same (aside from the merchant). Sail for three days and nights towards the horizon and find a black forest, should you go there? No, because you have Black Forest Biome at home.

I'm really worried that the combination of riding a star ship (watching a disguised loading screen) and samey proc gen planets is going to lead to the same problem in Star field. CAN you go second star to the right and straight on till morning? Yeah, but you'll just find another Industrial World 2E.

"Curated" planets, which I think Bethesda is doing, can fix this, because you only need Industrial Planet 2E to have a few unique touches to solve the problem Valhiem has. So, I'm concerned but hopeful.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

My big concern at this point is how they're going to make Bethesda exploration work in a game where everything is split up into a thousand discrete planets.

In Skyrim or Fallout 4 you get a quest at a distant location and start walking towards it and along the way you pass half a dozen unrelated points of interest to explore. How is that going to work in space? I'm afraid the hassle of landing your ship every time you want to check something out will become an obstacle to this kind of exploring and that's such a big part of how Bethesda games play.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right, exactly, I'm worried it'll become a serious of discrete encounters with what is effectively a loading screen. Hell, Air locks are already loading screens!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bestheda claims that Starfield has 30% more handcrafted content compared to their next largest game, Fallout 4. So outside of that content, the world of Starfield is likely to be pretty boring and fixed with randomly generated missions.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

I said come in! posted:

Bestheda claims that Starfield has 30% more handcrafted content compared to their next largest game, Fallout 4. So outside of that content, the world of Starfield is likely to be pretty boring and fixed with randomly generated missions.

Much of Fallout 4's map was a desolate wilderness, so maybe it'll work out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sandepande posted:

Much of Fallout 4's map was a desolate wilderness, so maybe it'll work out.

And really I don't mind randomly generated content, as long as it has a fun gameplay loop. Elite Dangerous added this in its most recent expansion, but it ended up being crap because the content was too difficult. You spent forever traveling to your mission, landing, and then getting one shot by the enemy AI. The rewards were never worth it for finishing these missions either. Starfield being a single player offline only RPG, should be a lot better about this.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I said come in! posted:

That’s my big fear, every quest giver being a boring Preston Garvey, and just as bland too.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jack B Nimble posted:

Daggerfall illustrates that size alone isn't what conveys a sense of exploration.
Daggerfall is the actual size of the UK, while Morrowind is the size of, what, Disney World? Except Daggerfall ISN'T actually that big in a practical sense because you travel to locations from a menu. In effect, Daggerfall is many (many) maps you just load up.

Am I misremembering? I thought you could run between towns in Daggerfall but didn’t because it took forever.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yes you can walk anywhere in DF but I think the countryside is some kind of procedural load

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yes you can walk anywhere in DF but I think the countryside is some kind of procedural load

No, its just a nightmare of copy-pasted boring poo poo. The first massive dungeon you explore is great. Once you realize every dungeon is a gigamaze with the same 5 room features and same three biomes (castle, tunnel, cave) it stops being good. Zaric is loving insane putting hundreds of hours into unmodded DF

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Am I misremembering? I thought you could run between towns in Daggerfall but didn’t because it took forever.

I played the game on release and I seem to remember trying to do this also, but as you said it took forever and you got attacked by random creatures a fair bit too, so fast traveling was by far the better option.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've only played Daggerfall Unity and you CAN walk from one place to another because I tried it, but there's nothing there and no reason to - the game world is just a "height map" that loads in random trees and poo poo.

It might be technically possible to walk until you leave your city behind you but it doesn't mean anything for the gameplay.

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
Direct paths to quests could be pretty good though, letting you focus on stuff you care about and not getting distracted by random oblivion cave #46 with it's three treasure chests and skeleton & wolf combo.

I'm sure there'll be some sort of space Preston to give you scut work should you want it, but Menuing to quests might be kinda cool too. It's definitely a different mold from their normal stuff, though the gameplay I've seen has basically been an advanced fallout 4 mod

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The smaller dungeon option in Daggerfall Unity is great. I had a blast playing through the game last year

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've only played Daggerfall Unity and you CAN walk from one place to another because I tried it, but there's nothing there and no reason to - the game world is just a "height map" that loads in random trees and poo poo.

It might be technically possible to walk until you leave your city behind you but it doesn't mean anything for the gameplay.

It really does sort of bring up the why was daggerfall made so big when the content wasn't really there for it. This goes for Starfield as well. With Starfield they are claiming that none curated areas are still going to be more interesting, and not just as you say a "height map" that loads in randoms trees and poo poo.

With Daggerfall I think part of the reason was for better word aesthetic. It didn't matter so much that you weren't going to ever walk between towns, but just knowing the world was there make the world feel bigger. Feel more like an actual world and not have that Oblivion/Skyrim issue where major cities can almost be seen from one another and all have like 20-40 building in them. Just makes what's meant to be a massive world feel more like your on a small island or something with a few small villages in it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's one of the main reasons I honestly think exploration in Arena is more fun than Daggerfall - in Arena you at least have the entire continent to explore, with different biomes and dungeons and races and such.

Both are pretty good games though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Private Speech posted:

It's one of the main reasons I honestly think exploration in Arena is more fun than Daggerfall - in Arena you at least have the entire continent to explore, with different biomes and dungeons and races and such.

I’d love a sourceport of some kind for Arena.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

chaosapiant posted:

I’d love a sourceport of some kind for Arena.

Remake it in the wolf 3d engine cowards!!!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Did you never leave the province? The exact same thing is in Daggerfall too.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

7c Nickel posted:

Did you never leave the province? The exact same thing is in Daggerfall too.

It's still much less varied though, like you can't go visit Morrowind and whatnot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Elder Scrolls Online is my dream Elder Scrolls game and it already exists, I just wish it wasn't a games as a service MMORPG. Still a good game though, I just hate the online only part. Elder Scrolls is all about mods to me.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

I said come in! posted:

Elder Scrolls Online is my dream Elder Scrolls game and it already exists, I just wish it wasn't a games as a service MMORPG. Still a good game though, I just hate the online only part. Elder Scrolls is all about mods to me.

I have friends that love ESO, but i just couldnt get into it. I think MMOs are not my jam anymore. I used to love them, but they dont hold my attention anymore.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I tried ESO but the MMO part ruined My Immersion. An offline mode would be pretty sweet though, I mostly just want to explore without seeing other humans and have fewer monsters to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ZombieCrew posted:

I have friends that love ESO, but i just couldnt get into it. I think MMOs are not my jam anymore. I used to love them, but they dont hold my attention anymore.

Yeah, I like the whole game world and aesthetics of ESO a fair bit, but the actual gameplay and MMO genre conventions just kinda made me not want to keep playing just a few hours in.