Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

EdsTeioh posted:

Not really; it NOT being water based is what makes it work. You can mix pigments with lighter fluid and get basically this same effect or just start using enamel washes which is the Real Ultimate Power (to me, anyway).

It absolutely is Real Ultimate Power™.

My follow up question is what kinds of varnish are safe with an enamel-based paint. I have an airbrush, but not the means to ventilate heavy use of painting with lacquer or enamel products. I can tolerate panel lining and the fumes that come out of my Tamiya panel line bottle in short bursts, but spraying it out of an airbrush is a no-go. If I apply a layer of water-based varnish on top of a basecoated model, will the enamel eat through it? I'll concede if I can't use enamel thinner to wipe off pooled enamel panel liner and will just have to paint on top of it to clean up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
How do I make a harlequin tile pattern? I'm looking up ideas for my Goff Rocker I'm thinking of painting him as Zeppelli from Jojo part 1, any advice how to do that diamond Pattern?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you want a panel liner you can just make it with oil paint and gamsol. All you need is a window and a fan too.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Star Man posted:

It absolutely is Real Ultimate Power™.

My follow up question is what kinds of varnish are safe with an enamel-based paint. I have an airbrush, but not the means to ventilate heavy use of painting with lacquer or enamel products. I can tolerate panel lining and the fumes that come out of my Tamiya panel line bottle in short bursts, but spraying it out of an airbrush is a no-go. If I apply a layer of water-based varnish on top of a basecoated model, will the enamel eat through it? I'll concede if I can't use enamel thinner to wipe off pooled enamel panel liner and will just have to paint on top of it to clean up.

As long as you let the acrylic varnish cure, you're good to go. Definitely don't take your enamel thinner and a q-tip and scrub the hell out of it, but using Tamiya liner or oil washes will be fine over acrylic varnish.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

How do I make a harlequin tile pattern? I'm looking up ideas for my Goff Rocker I'm thinking of painting him as Zeppelli from Jojo part 1, any advice how to do that diamond Pattern?

Get a small technical pencil, draw lines on, fill in the diamonds, touch up where you went over the lines, touch up where your touch ups went over the lines.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Lumpy posted:

Get a small technical pencil, draw lines on, fill in the diamonds, touch up where you went over the lines, touch up where your touch ups went over the lines.

Of every way I've ever tried this worked the best for me, I just used a heavy ink pen though (I forget what they're called. Not the cheap ball point bics, the... pointier ones.))

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

If you have a fine tipped brush that's holds a point well, and thinned down paint you can paint your lines to create your diamonds or squares or whatever pattern. Same basic steps just no pen/cil required (but you do need a good brush).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Of every way I've ever tried this worked the best for me, I just used a heavy ink pen though (I forget what they're called. Not the cheap ball point bics, the... pointier ones.))

Probably a fine liner? I always have one of those to hand for doing squiggles in books and for dotting eyes on the rare occasions I cant get away with just not doing that.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It's a pen nib.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Star Man posted:

It's a pen nib.

this would scrape the paint right off

maybe they mean a rollerball

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Chromatics posted:

this would scrape the paint right off

maybe they mean a rollerball

A paint pen or refillable marker would do the trick I'd think. I know I've used fine line sharpies before for panel lining

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
They just mean a mechanical pencil.

Like this.

And you use it like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7LkA592k7U&t=371s

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Indolent Bastard posted:

They just mean a mechanical pencil.

Like this.

And you use it like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7LkA592k7U&t=371s

I'm not sure that is what they mean when they say they used a heavy ink pen tbh.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

SiKboy posted:

I'm not sure that is what they mean when they say they used a heavy ink pen tbh.

I was replying to this:

Lumpy posted:

I will argue that pencils are better than ink or paint for sketching on a model.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SiKboy posted:

a pen that has a bunch of weights glued to it

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

a pen that has a bunch of weights glued to it

Get swole while you improve your painting; a win-win!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lumpy posted:

Get swole while you improve your painting; a win-win!

Also it will seem more expensive, heavy thigns mean quality

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
It could be micron type pens. They also have ones with brush-like tips.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I will argue that pencils are better than ink or paint for sketching on a model.

I agree with you.

Goontip: An even finer line can be achieved with a mechanical pencil by whittling and sharping the lead tip to a tiny point with a hobby knife.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Apparently you should use the shavings from such sharpening to make your superglue stronger. Or so my youtube recommendations tell me.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

drgnvale posted:

Apparently you should use the shavings from such sharpening to make your superglue stronger. Or so my youtube recommendations tell me.

Rub it on dark colors to make it look metallic

Also for super fine lines then: https://www.amazon.ca/Staedtler-Rotary-Action-Pointer-502BKA6/dp/B002EL9J50. Plus fancy mechanical pencil

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 14, 2022

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

MasterBuilder posted:

It could be micron type pens. They also have ones with brush-like tips.

I just Googled it and yes it's this I'm sorry I described it in the dumbest way possible I was having a moment.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

AndyElusive posted:

I agree with you.

Goontip: An even finer line can be achieved with a mechanical pencil by whittling and sharping the lead tip to a tiny point with a hobby knife.

Don't even need to use anything sharp. Just draw a line with the pencil held at an angle and don't rotate it. You can get syringe-level sharpness and shape this way, but it's graphite not metal so it's gonna snap super easy.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I just Googled it and yes it's this I'm sorry I described it in the dumbest way possible I was having a moment.

You provided us with the opportunity to make bad comedy; never apologize!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Don't even need to use anything sharp. Just draw a line with the pencil held at an angle and don't rotate it. You can get syringe-level sharpness and shape this way, but it's graphite not metal so it's gonna snap super easy.

Never occurred to me to try that!

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Just wanted to tell you guys that I really like the youtube channel "The Painting Phase" since Peachy started there.
He talks a lot about how things work within GW and I find it oddly informative and interesting.
Also one of their latest episodes have Bob Naismith on to talk about his work at GW and beyond.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Just wanted to tell you guys that I really like the youtube channel "The Painting Phase" since Peachy started there.
He talks a lot about how things work within GW and I find it oddly informative and interesting.
Also one of their latest episodes have Bob Naismith on to talk about his work at GW and beyond.

That channel seems super shady

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Chainclaw posted:

That channel seems super shady

Probably got hacked, Tod's Workshop became like 100% videos of an Indonesian dude giving TED talks on Bitcoin for a day last year or so

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It seems super shady because their channel was recently hacked and Google is taking a while to help them sort that poo poo out.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

ah so really unfortunate timing on my part to look them up, that's good to know

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Youtube randomly recommended this to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVpt4z--YOo

Holy poo poo.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

engessa posted:

Youtube randomly recommended this to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVpt4z--YOo

Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo indeed. I'm gonna make some of those, because drat, they are cool, and I can do something with the Kill Teams I was going to paint up and sell on eBay, but are still sitting on sprues.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Chainclaw posted:

ah so really unfortunate timing on my part to look them up, that's good to know

Bad timing by me bringing them up I guess. :(

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Marco from Metal Slug with his Heavy Machine Gun!

Captainus Crunchus, Seargant of Arms of his holy emperors ship, the Ol' Rustbucket! and his trusty parrot, Pugwash!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Morko, surely.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Morko, surely.

lol that's a good idea!

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What brushes do you guys reccomend? I've been using GW for years and I treat them with loving care, but they always end up frayed and with missing bristles :/

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Fsmhunk posted:

What brushes do you guys reccomend? I've been using GW for years and I treat them with loving care, but they always end up frayed and with missing bristles :/

The GW brushes I got at their class were absolute garbage, literally had bristles coming out during the class. Right now I use Games & Gears Pro Studio, some Army Painter brushes, and for synthetics, Princeton Snap. Soonish I should have the giant bundle of sable and wolf brushes from that kickstarter in october, so we'll see how those are. They were at least extremely loving cheap.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I like the princeton kolinsky sable brushes. Theyre about 25 cad a piece and theyre well worth it. I destroy regular brushes all the time, but i havent managed to destroy a brush yet. I know some people dont use their sable brushes with metallics, but i do and havent had a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fsmhunk posted:

Moderately priced brushes with artificial hairs. Affordable, rugged, available all over the place.

You can drop bigger money on fancy brushes, or you can drop smaller money two or three times as they burn out. Just my two cents as a guy that bought kolinsky sable brushes and found they died about as fast as my mid-tier synthetics. (Yes I used brush soap and tried to care for them, but they just didn't last for me).

https://canada.michaels.com/en/golden-synthetic-brushes-by-artists-loft-necessities/10171146.html