Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

an iksar marauder posted:

I want one that says USA back to back World War Champs

When i was doing a job at a steel mill, the electrician supevisor had a shirt that said that on when the German technician came in to do the install on the german line straightener. It was very 'MERICA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

how do German lines differ from other lines

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I worded it poorly. Extremely poorly. I was working on a finishing line where they uncoil a roll of steel, dip it through several baths along a line and then reroll it at the end. The machine to keep the unrolled steel on the line was German and the company who made the machine sent a technician from Germany to install it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

This is a common mistake, the lines were actually designed by a metallurgist named Samuel German.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Line straightening is an art only the Germans care for

As seen in oft talked about but never exported gameshow Stackenblochen

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Alan Smithee posted:

Line straightening is an art only the Germans care for

As seen in oft talked about but never exported gameshow Stackenblochen

The ratings were great for that show, as reported by the show runners every season.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

dervinosdoom posted:

I worded it poorly. Extremely poorly. I was working on a finishing line where they uncoil a roll of steel, dip it through several baths along a line and then reroll it at the end. The machine to keep the unrolled steel on the line was German and the company who made the machine sent a technician from Germany to install it.

Appreciate the clarification, OP. This is still uninteresting.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Scott Forstall posted:

Appreciate the clarification, OP. This is still uninteresting.

You're not wrong

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

honestly I kinda disagree, random-rear end tidbits of peoples' expertise thrown into discussions is always good

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

dervinosdoom posted:

You're not wrong
I found the initial story amusing and appreciated the clarification

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I miss working with the guy, every big project he would be working on, he'd make a bunch of stickers for it. This time it was the pickle line so he had big ol pickle stickers for peoples' hardhats. His dumbass got kicked out of the plant for going around railroad arms when they were down right in front of the safety guys.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

You Bought the Thing. Now You Regret the Thing.

quote:

The limited edition SpongeBob Funko Pop was calling to Jason Grioua.

Mr. Grioua had just graduated from college and decided to splurge on a few collectible figurines, inspired by characters from television shows and video games.

He spent about $100 this summer on that SpongeBob SquarePants and figures of a few other characters he likes, including one from an anime show and another from his favorite video game, Overwatch.

But then the second thoughts crept in. He was feeling uncertain about the economy, and gas prices, along with prices for nearly everything else, were going up. Before long, Mr. Grioua, 23 and a news writer at WSVN 7News in Miami, was regretting the outlay.

“Every dollar would help right now knowing that I could instead put it toward savings or my Roth I.R.A.,” he said. “Long-term, inflation has definitely made me have a bit of a buyer’s remorse on items that are not exactly essential.”

quote:

Just before the pandemic descended, Suzanne Lawler of Pacifica, Calif., made a purchase that didn’t seem so bad at the time. Ms. Lawler, a retired legal manager, had just sold an item she had inherited, pocketing about $90,000. Then, on a trip to New York City with a friend, she “fell in love” with a Celine handbag at a luxury consignment shop in SoHo. It was a stunner, she thought, and in orange python, it was one of the team colors of her beloved San Francisco Giants. The price: $3,000.

But Ms. Lawler, 68, hasn’t used the bag — and she gets upset whenever she goes into the closet where she keeps it. Her attempts to resell it have failed — either resellers reject items made of real python, or individual buyers don’t want to pay her asking price.

Non-paywall link: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/15/...&smid=share-url

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if dropping 100 bones one time on funko pops convinces you to save money for retirement that is probably gwm

good for you mr. grioua

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

silvergoose posted:

honestly I kinda disagree, random-rear end tidbits of peoples' expertise thrown into discussions is always good

Like Bigpeeler, right?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if dropping 100 bones one time on funko pops convinces you to save money for retirement that is probably gwm

good for you mr. grioua

Yeah, I was expecting the second quote to be a follow up on how it led to addiction and now he has spent $90,000 on Funko and his life is in shambles.

Funny story, I took my kids to a toy store the other day and asked them to pick out a toy. My son is 12, and he's starting to age out of playing with toys. He basically said "eh, I don't need a toy that will break or I'll get bored of, so I'm ok, but thanks." I almost cried I was so happy. Then my eight year old daughter showed up with two barbies, a horse, and several lip glosses.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

You Bought the Thing. Now You Regret the Thing.

Non-paywall link: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/15/...&smid=share-url

Both of those sound like relatively cheap lessons learned. Real BWM is when folks double-down on their dumb decisions and continue to burn money.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

laxbro posted:

Both of those sound like relatively cheap lessons learned. Real BWM is when folks double-down on their dumb decisions and continue to burn money.

Yeah the funko pop guy whose lesson only cost $100 is a success story.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i03WovKzW8w

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I watched one video on MTG, and now Youtube thinks I want to go full in so it keeps giving me suggested videos. I'm streaming this video while I work, and I came to this part where MTV attempts to make MTG look cool by having some babes and hunks watch an MTG tournament back, from around 1995, I really just want to share this, mtg is bwm I guess so it fits the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rXvW53z018&t=765s

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Super-NintendoUser posted:

So I watched one video on MTG, and now Youtube thinks I want to go full in so it keeps giving me suggested videos. I'm streaming this video while I work, and I came to this part where MTV attempts to make MTG look cool by having some babes and hunks watch an MTG tournament back, from around 1995, I really just want to share this, mtg is bwm I guess so it fits the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rXvW53z018&t=765s

The cringiest thing that jumped out at me was none of those cards are sleeved. Was that not common at tournaments back then?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The cringiest thing that jumped out at me was none of those cards are sleeved. Was that not common at tournaments back then?

It absolutely was not common to sleeve. Pretty fun to watch someone ripple shuffle a deck of old cards now worth $80k

Someone is in the process of writing up an extensive history of the collecting and competition scene of Magic starting from the early days and it's fascinating

https://cohost.org/bruno/post/130673-a-compleat-history-o

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
To be fair, those cards are only worth 80k now because people are stupid and not because of any deducible or logical reason so I can't blame people in the past for not worrying about condoms for their nerd cardboard

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I will never understand collector brain.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Every collector I know is just a hoarder who rebranded.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

A collector curates. A hoarder amasses.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I hoard bad posts

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/liron/status/1603434695189938176

Binance Wants Money: we’ll let the lawyers handle it

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Hahahah, that look of exasperation at the end is basically crypto.gif.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

People play MTG with all their cards in sleeves? I played in a few tournaments back around 96-97 (and was quickly bounced each time) and I don’t recall anyone playing with sleeves. The only cards worth any money back then were betas that you couldn’t play with anyway.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007
I still have two boxes of cards from the mid nineties. I played for maybe six months in middle school, probably 8th grade so 1995? Whenever Ice Age came out. I should probably see what I have.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

skrapp mettle posted:

I still have two boxes of cards from the mid nineties. I played for maybe six months in middle school, probably 8th grade so 1995? Whenever Ice Age came out. I should probably see what I have.

I sold a box from that era for $200 fifteen years ago. Probably would have been worth at least ten times that by now.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

I sold a box from that era for $200 fifteen years ago. Probably would have been worth at least ten times that by now.

One box has a sweet dragon or wizard or something on it. I'll bet that adds value. I'm going to scrounge those up tonight.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Goddamn, every time MTG chat comes up I'm reminded of the ~700 cards or so I have sitting around. My brother stole the REAL valuable stuff way back when we were kids, but there's likely still some valuable stuff leftover.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

skrapp mettle posted:

One box has a sweet dragon or wizard or something on it. I'll bet that adds value. I'm going to scrounge those up tonight.

A guy I work with sold his 90's magic collection to Rudy from Alpha Investments a few years ago. He made tens of thousands and used it to finance his kids college. It's wild.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

Super-NintendoUser posted:

A guy I work with sold his 90's magic collection to Rudy from Alpha Investments a few years ago. He made tens of thousands and used it to finance his kids college. It's wild.

Rudy looks like he belongs in this thread. https://nitter.poast.org/MTG_AlphaInvest/status/1233836391634788353#m

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

If you played in the early days the number one thing you probably have that are gonna be worth money are dual lands so keep an eye for those

Like a dummy I gave all my old cards away when I moved a decade ago and now I curse myself for it

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

People play MTG with all their cards in sleeves? I played in a few tournaments back around 96-97 (and was quickly bounced each time) and I don’t recall anyone playing with sleeves. The only cards worth any money back then were betas that you couldn’t play with anyway.

I played in tournaments (also quickly bounced most years) in like 1999-2000. The judges made us de-sleeve our decks, so maybe that was it?

Edit: I sold all my cards except for one deck when I went off to college to pay for my first computer. That one deck is basically unplayable now because it was a joke deck relying on mana burn, which is no longer a mechanic in the game at all.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 15, 2022

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

hallo spacedog posted:

If you played in the early days the number one thing you probably have that are gonna be worth money are dual lands so keep an eye for those

Like a dummy I gave all my old cards away when I moved a decade ago and now I curse myself for it

literally one of the cards my brother stole, because even back in the day it was worth a lot relative to other cards. Plateau, I'm pretty sure.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
A guy I know had his backpack full of dual lands (and other cards) stolen in the mid 2000s. At the time it was a painful $1000 or $2000 loss for a ~20 year old. Today those cards would be worth at least $15,000.

Rudy spent years making gently caress you money in investment banking before bouncing from that life and directing his workaholic nature towards personal ventures like Alpha Investments and landlording. He has successfully used his youtube channel to promote a stock market like speculation culture for MTG cards, and his sales business operates by selling MTG stock to the people he hooks. The tweet you linked is really just him acquiring a bunch of stock he plans to sell, probably after making a video hyping up the investment vale of that set. I bet he sourced a sweet deal on his purchase of that stock too.

The real BWM is that he buys big money vintage cards (e.g. Black Lotus) with no intent of ever selling them. This appears to be pure personal interest collecting, and he spends huge amounts of money to buy these cards from anyone looking to liquidate their collections.

Kefit fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Kefit posted:

A guy I know had his backpack full of dual lands (and other cards) stolen in the mid 2000s. At the time it was a painful $1000 or $2000 loss for a ~20 year old. Today those cards would be worth at least $15,000.

Yikes. A buddy around 1997 had his best decks stolen at recess when he left them near a fence during flag football. Wonder if some schools eventually banned cards after the value of some decks were considered felony level thefts.