Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

An inherent problem of (many) government systems is a pretty high requirement for good faith actors. It’s really hard to come up with a democracy that has an effective safe guard against just voting in some dipshit who wants to light everything on fire.

You don't have to make judges political appointees and most countries with modern democratic constitutions don't. That we do is a relic of the founders' royalist ideas.

UK Supreme Court judges are recommemded by a committee whose members determined by law and are mostly professionals like other judges, representatives from regional bodies, etc. The Government can reject their choice and ask for someone else but can't just put in whoever they want. France has a formal independent body for the purpose.

I'm sure those methods have their flaws too, but it's not like you elect one idiot one time and he gets to put all his incompetent cronies in to rule for life.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The first federal judge ever to be impeached fell into this exact category (he was also almost certainly mentally ill and self medicating with booze). Happened in 1804.

I thought they went after him because he was a hardcore partisan federalist (as in the federalist party)?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Quote/edit fail

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

plogo posted:

I thought they went after him because he was a hardcore partisan federalist (as in the federalist party)?

No, that was the first Supreme Court justice they tried to impeach at about the same time, Samuel Chase. I'm referring to John Pickering, a drunk/insane US district court judge (and also on the NH state Supreme Court, as things were squishier and had fewer rigidly defined boundaries those days). The latter's impeachment was used as precedence for the former, though.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Dons got a big announcement tomorrow.
I tried looking at his website to see him announcing his announcement, but the news section is gone and it tries to force you to give a phone number and email to proceed.

https://twitter.com/BettyBowers/status/1603117349128880128

Oh wait, found his announcing of his announcement.
https://twitter.com/alx/status/1603066885867802624

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

OgNar posted:

I tried looking at his website to see him announcing his announcement, but the news section is gone and it tries to force you to give a phone number and email to proceed.

America needs a SUPERHERO.

Donny's gonna show up with a Captain America costume from Wish.com isn't he

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
He's gonna rant about how Homelander is a good guy.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lol not like it matters but blocking exits and preventing people from leaving is wildly illegal.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I am pretty curious if he actually has something to say or if he just needs attention.

Secretly hoping he takes out a book bound in human flesh and starts a song that will turn the seas red and make the sun blink in shame.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

He's going to announce that he's a "candidate" for Speaker of the House. It's gonna be awesome.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
desantis would be randomly elected speaker before they'd make trump speaker (but yeah the far right thinks that's their way to get him back in power)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Xiahou Dun posted:

I am pretty curious if he actually has something to say or if he just needs attention.

Secretly hoping he takes out a book bound in human flesh and starts a song that will turn the seas red and make the sun blink in shame.

He's not nearly that cool. If he tried he's ruin the incantation through mispronunciation and by pausing repeatedly for multiple-sentence self-serving rants and tangents about how awesome he is and how much the old gods begged him to do this with years in their many eyes, etc.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

VitalSigns posted:

You don't have to make judges political appointees and most countries with modern democratic constitutions don't. That we do is a relic of the founders' royalist ideas.

True, but putting them on ballots doesn't work much better, at least in my experience here in Florida. It's next to impossible to track down information on them at all beyond where they worked or went to school and one really has to dig to find out anything about the judges themselves beyond who appointed them. Which is how I pick who to vote for and sometimes, if I don't really know, I just leave that blank on my ballot.

I don't know the answer.

Ideally, an elected representative appointing a qualified person makes sense to a certain degree but then that we get is those elected officials jamming the courts with people that will rule in their favor rather than interpreting the law and endless claims of a person being an Obama, Bush or Trump judge. And then if you put them on a ballot, nobody knows the first thing about them really, probably very few people even try to do any research and, to the extent that they MIGHT, it would usually begin and end with their abortion rulings and capital punishment decisions or, like I said above, simply who appointed them. Even the cases they ruled on are oddly difficult to track down unless you're super plugged in.

At a certain point, we just have what we have and hope that they're impartial, clear headed, smart and empathetic.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cr0y posted:

Lol not like it matters but blocking exits and preventing people from leaving is wildly illegal.

That was definitely a faketweet, not a real thing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

cr0y posted:

Sounds like someone has forgotten the Romney Death Rally

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

OgNar posted:

I mean there's a greater than 0 chance that Trump drinks toxic waste on stage in an effort to literally give himself superpowers.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean there's a greater than 0 chance that Trump drinks toxic waste on stage in an effort to literally give himself superpowers.

A live version of that one bit in Iron Man 2, Trump fist-pumping only for his rocket gauntlet to rip his arm from the shoulder and impale Eric.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OgNar posted:

Artist 1: Okay how do we show Donald Trump as a superhero?

Artist 2: We have him do the classic "Clark Kent opening his shirt to show off his superhero costume.

Artist 1: Great. What next?

Artist 2: How about we have him using his heat vision?

Artist 1: Even better idea. Why don't we have him shooting his heat vision all around like he's killing a bunch of people. Like how he started to change into his superheroic alternate identity, but realized he was doing it in front of a crowd of people. So he has to use his heat vision to kill them all, to preserve his secret identity.
And then hours later he Tweets Truths out his secret Identity, thus making all those people he killed a senseless waste. I'm pretty sure that's what they mean when they talk about the tragedy of being a superhero.

Artist 2: That sounds great. So we knock this out, early lunch, then hookers and blow?

Artist 1: Yeah!

Also you know with this announcement that Bonnie Taylor is on standby to say Trump never had permission to play "Holding Out for a Hero"

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

It was all for a line of Trump-branded NFTs, and they don't even have the technical wherewithal to actually set up their own blockchain list or whatever to try and fake like there's a premium individuality to these things. So they just call them "digital trading cards," because that sounds like a thing from the 1950s that olds would remember, threw a $100 price point on his lovely photoshop JPEGs and called it a day.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Class3KillStorm posted:

It was all for a line of Trump-branded NFTs, and they don't even have the technical wherewithal to actually set up their own blockchain list or whatever to try and fake like there's a premium individuality to these things. So they just call them "digital trading cards," because that sounds like a thing from the 1950s that olds would remember, threw a $100 price point on his lovely photoshop JPEGs and called it a day.

Oh my god

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lmao I thought you were maybe joking but welp

https://twitter.com/onesarahjones/status/1603424779855200267?t=dUkeaklEp4-0H3i_VuJl5Q&s=19

I definitely remember that point in Trump's life and career where he became ripped and shot lasers from his eyes. He probably remembers it too

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Trump must have for sure seen the whole FTX thing go down and say “WE NEED TO DO THAT!”

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Ringo Star Get posted:

Trump must have for sure seen the whole FTX thing go down and say “WE NEED TO DO THAT!”

"That grift was worth a billion dollars and we didn't get in on that action? What am I paying you people for?!"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Class3KillStorm posted:

I went back and forth on this being a joke so many times and so fast, you could’ve used my brain as a dynamo.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Wait so a presidential candidate just teed up a "major announcement" and the announcement was him selling JPGs of himself? Is this a way to get around campaign financing or something?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

That was truly dumber than anything I could have thought of.
This was like a xmas gift to Colberts writers.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

Wait so a presidential candidate just teed up a "major announcement" and the announcement was him selling JPGs of himself?

"Presidential" "candidate"

Ynglaur posted:

Is this a way to get around campaign financing or something?

Much like anything Trump does, this is just a grift - a way to make stupid people give him $100 for a low effort Photoshop. Apparently there's only about 100 designs, BUT you can buy multiples so that you can try and win PRIZES!

https://collecttrumpcards.com/prizes

So, it's a grift, but they're actually innovating in the NFT space - who cares about individual ownership of a digital JPEG when you can win something theoretically more tangible (if you just give Trump money)? It's the next evolution in the whole thing, and I wonder if Trump didn't just give the whole charade enough of a shot in the arm to keep the whole scam train rolling for another few months.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

OgNar posted:

That was truly dumber than anything I could have thought of.
This was like a xmas gift to Colberts writers.

I've gone and made ILLEGAL .JPEG COPIES of some of the NFTs and D&D is having a photoshop/caption contest to celebrate.

Posters can win YUGE prizes!

Thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019787

OP (with some of the illegal NFTs for everyone to browse)

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Due to an early present for Trump-mas this year, humanity has been blessed with a series of 99 official Donald Trump NFTs.

Check out the explosive announcement video below:

https://twitter.com/Hector_E_Alcala/status/1603438787098546176

You can find a list of most of the 99 NFTs here:

https://collecttrumpcards.com/prizes

A few previews:

In the spirit of giving, D&D is having a caption contest to celebrate this early Trumpmas present. It was said that the NFTs would only last one night, but miraculously, this contest shall last 8 full days until December 24th at 12:01 AM. The winners will be chosen and the prizes distributed afterwards.

The Rules:

- Submit a post in this thread with a picture of one of the NFTs and a caption.

- You can edit or photoshop the image.

- You can submit multiple times, but try to keep it to no more than 3 submissions per post.

:siren: Prizes :siren:

1) The three entries that are deemed the funniest will win:

- A free AV change to their submission and caption along with an award.*

* If anyone wants to submit a design for a small award gangtag to go with the AV, then they will get additional prizes if we select it.

The AV will be a special size that is normally only available to mods to make it longer and wider than the forums normally allow!

2) The 4th funniest entry will get:

- A free AV change to their image submission, but with a secret mystery text!

Legal Disclaimer: These are NFTs, so we must respect their sacredness and know that if you just right click and hit "Save As" to make a glossy .jpeg copy, then you need to remember that is just a worthless digital copy and you do not own the authentic valuable ($99.99 USD) original NFT.

Merry Trump-mas to everyone!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Wait, I don't remember getting my picture taken shaking hands with Trump.... :dafuq:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wait, I don't remember getting my picture taken shaking hands with Trump.... :dafuq:

It was that same year that Time named you "Person of the Year"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It was that same year that Time named you "Person of the Year"

Yeah, I had a lot going on at the time. Then there was that Netflix psychological thriller series about how I was a serial killer - just really a crazy time for me

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Ynglaur posted:

Is this a way to get around campaign financing or something?

Yes, but only in that campaign financing is supposed to be used on a campaign and not given directly to Trump.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Is this new?
It also seems to have come out today unless I somehow missed it before.
Also its batshit crazy.

"Here's my plan
First within hours of my Inauguration..."

https://twitter.com/MAGAIncWarRoom/status/1603458280550195201

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 16, 2022

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

OgNar posted:

Is this new?
Also its batshit crazy.

"Here's my plan

It's going to be fun watching MAGATS turn themselves inside out trying explain how this doesn't apply to drag shows.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean the obvious solution is to make them unlawful. The whole bullet point is basically a tautology anyway.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 16, 2022

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Homelander.jpg

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Old James posted:

It's going to be fun watching MAGATS turn themselves inside out trying explain how this doesn't apply to drag shows.

No need. Anything outside the norm would be unlawful. The Deviant don't get rights like the rest of the white, christian folk do.

This is their thinking. We saw it with how they treated the Club Q shooter, thinking he was forced into it by 'groomers'.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

OgNar posted:

Is this new?
Also its batshit crazy.

"Here's my plan

I have questions about those three points. Though I guess the biggest one is "How quickly would he just start yelling out the N word after being inaugurated?"

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
“Ban the government from policing lawful speech”?

What, like not creating rules to control how private platforms enforce their ToS?

However I expect he actually means, “empower government to police speech I don’t like such as platforms that prevent me from violating their ToS”

Edit: wait. I bet he means his speech on J06 which some have suggested there is enough evidence now to demonstrate criminal intent to incite a riot and sedition.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Aren't Secret Service agents subject to some of the most stringent background checks there are? Like if you were caught stealing a candy bar when you were 9, or you failed a history test they know about it before they hire you.