Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/louischeung_hk/status/1599779108443262977

unmanned bomb trucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
drat, it would be so cool to go to war with china

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Rutibex posted:

drat, it would be so cool to go to war with china

I hope we get to see neat dog fights between drones like it’s some ww2 prestige film

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/scoopjefferson/status/1603465519323140096

a very war thunder landing

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol wonder why the pilot bothered ejecting

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my man ghost riding the whip.

perfect VLOL landing

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I was curious about that too. I’m assuming because he thought the aircraft would catch fire?

Or more simply: Every warning light plus MASTER CAUTION lighting up as things get worse = punch out.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

didn’t want to die in a fire.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
hes already parked, just open the door and get out lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it looks fun :shobon:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

did they ever fix those issues with the f-35 (or was it the f-22?) helmet where it was like breaking pilots necks on ejection?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I can't imagine a rocket seat is good for anyone's neck

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Lol ejection seats are covered in irritating little explosive charges and are super dangerous

Otoh the ground.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Or back, was it here that someone mentioned that the force of ejection compresses the spine or something?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Ejection seats are like helmets, you only bring it if you plan on failing.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

come home with your ejection seat, or on it

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

my man ghost riding the whip.

perfect VLOL landing

the funniest part is the pilot landing like 50 yards away from the crash lmao

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Pataramesh/status/1601869913534210049

In other news Iran is getting Su-35s to replace their aging F-14s.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

Or back, was it here that someone mentioned that the force of ejection compresses the spine or something?

In the RCAF at least you almost certainly won’t pass the aircrew medical after, it ends your flying career.

That’s before whatever formal or informal consequences are doled out. Even if you’re fine, if there’s suspicion you could have saved a multimillion dollar aircraft, or you put it in the situation where it was lost, congratulations to the new Squadron Morale Officer! (Punishment position where you are in charge of organizing BBQs and sending birthday cards with the expectation you’ll be embarrassed enough to release.)

Top Gun Maverick shows Pete Mitchell’s career stalled out at Captain but in reality the board in the first movie should have nailed him for being outside the exercise parameters and putting the F-14 in a situation where jet wash caused a stall, spin, and loss of his RIO. You’re not “the best” if you lose an aircraft and airman.

In this case, the risk of fire probably justifies bailing out, but it’s whatever happened immediately before, as much as any injuries received from a Zero-Zero ejection, that will decide if this guy’s flying days are over.

A bit of trivia, loving up like this is how a few of the RCAF recruiters I know ended up as recruiters.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:26 on Dec 15, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

To give you examples:

You’re fine

You’re hosed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt posted:

it looks fun :shobon:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Lol ejection seats are covered in irritating little explosive charges and are super dangerous

Otoh the ground.

John Maclaine was able to beat up some special forces mooks mere minutes after using an ejection seat

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Filthy Hans posted:

John Maclaine was able to

Well, duh

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Bar Ran Dun posted:

didn’t want to die in a fire.

And yet he got into an F-35 in the first place. Curious.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I would simply not get into an F-35.

lmao

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

You can only eject up to... 2-3 times in your career I think, because of the spinal compression. Once you hit your limit that's you flying a desk from that point

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/senate-passes-847b-defense-bill-forcing-biden-s-hand-on-vaccine-mandate/ar-AA15l0kb

quote:

It repeals the Pentagon vaccine mandate within 30 days of enactment. The provision is a win for Republicans who argue that forcing thousands of people out of the ranks for not getting the shot has compounded an already tenuous recruiting and retention environment for the military.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1603313533848268801

war of the small robotanks

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Wow they all broke, better order a shitload of the new B-21s.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1605027744819077121?s=20&t=g2EYVKqOm4gpUymU4yWD5g

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Lots of stuff is all breaking at once

https://www.ft.com/content/b4fd05ff-02a5-47a3-9b6f-82eb44067c38

quote:

Germany sought to reassure Nato that it could still be relied on to lead the alliance’s rapid response task force even after all 18 of its most advanced armoured vehicles malfunctioned in a training exercise earlier this month. Defence chiefs held a crisis meeting in Berlin on Monday to discuss the massive problems that have emerged with the Puma, one of the world’s best-protected infantry fighting vehicles, with defence minister Christine Lambrecht describing the issues as a “bitter setback”. The 18 Pumas that malfunctioned were among 42 that were supposed to be deployed as part of Nato’s “Very High Readiness Joint Task Force” (VJTF), a rapid response force which Germany will lead from next year.

Last week the Bundestag gave the green light for €8bn of the €100bn to be spent on new F-35 US fighter jets to replace Germany’s ageing Tornados. They also authorised spending on a technical upgrade of the Pumas.

Lol 'one of the world's best protected infantry fighting vehicles'

I guess not being able to drive to the front lines adds an extra layer of protection

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
This is what I want my tax dollars spent on. I will vote for any candidate who promises to convert our armed forces vehicles into toys from the 80s and 90s.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Lots of stuff is all breaking at once

https://www.ft.com/content/b4fd05ff-02a5-47a3-9b6f-82eb44067c38

Lol 'one of the world's best protected infantry fighting vehicles'

I guess not being able to drive to the front lines adds an extra layer of protection

The uparmoured version is 43 tons. A T-72B is 44.5.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

SyRauk posted:

This is what I want my tax dollars spent on. I will vote for any candidate who promises to convert our armed forces vehicles into toys from the 80s and 90s.

Ninja Turtles are actually WH40k orks?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
frosted flake please elaborate on the tactical advantages of an undersized turret and fully exposed gunnery

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

That’s before whatever formal or informal consequences are doled out. Even if you’re fine, if there’s suspicion you could have saved a multimillion dollar aircraft, or you put it in the situation where it was lost, congratulations to the new Squadron Morale Officer! (Punishment position where you are in charge of organizing BBQs and sending birthday cards with the expectation you’ll be embarrassed enough to release.)

Being the birthday and BBQ guy sounds chill

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Palladium posted:

frosted flake please elaborate on the tactical advantages of an undersized turret and fully exposed gunnery

turtles have shells, they don't need armor

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Atrocious Joe posted:

Being the birthday and BBQ guy sounds chill

It is chill. It’s a punishment predicated on people who want to become fighter pilots(or Infantry, Cavalry, Sappers, Artillery) not being chill. It doesn’t really work otherwise.

If you were happy to ride out your time doing that though, you get a house (Officer PMQ), dental, medical, pension, benefits for your children and spouse, pretty good pay, for remembering birthdays and ordering sheet cake. I would guess punishments in volunteer vs conscripted armies diverge here.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I feel like the two halves of this tweet really sum up the US military:

first half: this thing is broken and doesn't work, we're grounding all of it
second half: but really if you think about it that's okay because they aren't actually used for nuclear deterrence or anything, their primary purpose is flying overhead at college football games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

vyelkin posted:

I feel like the two halves of this tweet really sum up the US military:

first half: this thing is broken and doesn't work, we're grounding all of it
second half: but really if you think about it that's okay because they aren't actually used for nuclear deterrence or anything, their primary purpose is flying overhead at college football games

:hmmyes: