Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Build review for the orchid set:

Not the most fun build in the world. Very repetitious, since the six blooms are all the same and the four stalks are just variants of the same design. Vase is a clever design but again very repetitious, with an x30 step.

Instructions are bad, multiple steps not clear where to attach something because the attachment point isn’t shown clearly. Plus the last steps you add stuff that isn’t attached to anything and Lego does not have a good way of showing that.

End result very pretty though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

tuo posted:

Seems like stuff is either the best thing ever and exactly what they expected, or an actual insult to the universe itself, like there's no in between anymore.
There's so much that goes into this, I don't even know where to begin. I feel like I could write an essay about this. The ultra brief, I guess, would involve the way social media works. Something about he way it prioritizes extremely short form, easily digestible content, designed to take up just seconds of your time. Also the way it's replaced forums and personal websites, where lengthier and more thorough discourse might have occurred. I might also mention the rise of a somewhat unforgiving culture that magnifies perceived flaws and uses those to discount the whole (I refuse the use the phrase "cancel culture" here, because it's not exactly that, but probably related). I'm no sociology expert so it gets nebulous for me here.

That said, the bigger issue in this case is just that the modular being somewhat poorly received feeds the narrative that LEGO is going down the shitter or whatever. Like I said, to me, this modular is a step back and I don't really like it very much, but it's not bad by any means. It'll still likely end up on lists of many peoples' best sets of the year for 2023, I'm sure, and there are plenty of people here who are happy to kinda like it or kinda dislike it. I haven't seen anyone calling it the worst modular of all time or some poo poo. Not here, anyway. I have actually seen that on Insta. This poo poo is why I still like internet forums and longer form discussions so much.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Just did the sunflowers:
Something I don't like about the flowers line is that the leaves on stems are all held on without friction or axles so they spin really freely.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
It's far from the worst they could do, I'm trying to think of how it ranks but even my least favorites are not sets I actively dislike so it's tough to say. Probably Market Street- I can't see that one fitting in in any city to be honest. Feels very incongruent with the rest of the sets even though they too are thematically different from one another. I don't know if I'd bother with the Fire Brigade or Town Hall either tbh.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Has anyone ever seen parts that will leave marks on other parts?

I pulled out my old Meteor Strike game - https://brickset.com/sets/3850-1/Meteor-Strike, and some white parts and the one manual had gold colored marks/stains on them. . Game was stored assembled in the box with all the parts loose, the stains on the white pieces wiped right off, manual not so much. I bagged up the parts, and placed the gold pieces in their own bag to hopefully prevent the staining.

Part I believe did the marking/staining:
https://brickset.com/sets/containing-part-4594818

Parts in question

Marked part

Manual, I circled the stains

more curious than anything, as I don't remember seeing this behavior before.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

BaconCopter posted:

Brick Clicker just dropped a bunch of leaks.

Wild Flower Bouquet 956 pcs $59.99

Dried Flower Decoration 812 pcs $49.99

Yes yes yes!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Carbohydrates posted:

There's so much that goes into this, I don't even know where to begin. I feel like I could write an essay about this. The ultra brief, I guess, would involve the way social media works. Something about he way it prioritizes extremely short form, easily digestible content, designed to take up just seconds of your time. Also the way it's replaced forums and personal websites, where lengthier and more thorough discourse might have occurred. I might also mention the rise of a somewhat unforgiving culture that magnifies perceived flaws and uses those to discount the whole (I refuse the use the phrase "cancel culture" here, because it's not exactly that, but probably related). I'm no sociology expert so it gets nebulous for me here.

I think a big part of it is just that there is so much stuff out there. Like, yeah, tuo brought up 8/16-bit console gaming and how people* would just suck it up and play through the occasional dud. Now all of those games exist and are competing for your attention with every game on Steam--just for a start!--which are generally cheaper and more accessible than those console games back in the day ever were. When new games cost $100+ in today's dollars and required you to go to the store there was a lot of incentive to get mileage out of crappy games, but why bother spending your time on a mediocre game when you have 40 years worth of games at your fingertips and most of them cost less than a fast food meal? As more and more content gets created there's less time to put up with bad content and more pressure to make snap decisions on things.

*it also helps that gaming skewed younger back in the day and most of us were kids with no real responsibilities so we had all the time in the world to kill on random poo poo with names like Super Doggler's Balloon Bash Adventure.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 15, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Social media thrives on binary reactions because it generates reactions. Negative opinions attract the most reactions so posters tend to generate content that leans in that direction, but posting "the best thing ever" works too.

It's impossible to avoid if you're online at all, every single website uses algorithms to drive engagement so they're all constantly stuffing the most voted on content into your eyeballs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just looked at the official images and it looks much better than I originally thought. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this. IMO, it is one of the best looking since the DO. The interior is just as interesting as pretty much every modular for years.

Have people forgotten what the modulars look like? I really don't get it.

I'm just gonna throw a wild guess out there: many people have a stigma against jazz. So a set that is focused on a jazz club brings up those negative feelings they have towards the music that is more challenging than simple 4 on the 4, a couple chords and the same lyrics they have been hearing for years. I wonder if people who for some reason don't like french food, didn't like the parisian restaurant. I know my first reaction when I heard jazz club was "that's an odd choice, a lot of people don't like jazz."

Day one buy, as per usual, for me. I wish I could pare my buying down to just the modular each year. But there have been so many cool sets the last few years. And now they are sort of making summer modulars with the Marvel modulars.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm just gonna throw a wild guess out there: many people have a stigma against jazz. So a set that is focused on a jazz club brings up those negative feelings they have towards the music that is more challenging than simple 4 on the 4, a couple chords and the same lyrics they have been hearing for years. I wonder if people who for some reason don't like french food, didn't like the parisian restaurant. I know my first reaction when I heard jazz club was "that's an odd choice, a lot of people don't like jazz."

:wtc:

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
For me I don't care for the colour scheme of the exterior, more than anything. And surely there was a better option than running the words Jazz and Club together like a train? JAZZCLUB? :effort:

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't read the official lore on this set but it could have been like, Andy's Jazz Club, or something similar? The Brick Note? They're usually pretty good with this kind of thing.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Waltzing Along posted:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
They should make a Star Wars modular Jizzclub

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I also think the marquee should be facing so the club name can be viewed from the street, like it normally would be. I know it's being viewed from the front by me, but my LEGO guys have no idea what the gently caress that sign says, they're just craning their necks driving by like IS THAT JAZZCLUB gently caress I MISSED THE LOT ENTRANCE

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Brawnfire posted:

I also think the marquee should be facing so the club name can be viewed from the street, like it normally would be. I know it's being viewed from the front by me, but my LEGO guys have no idea what the gently caress that sign says, they're just craning their necks driving by like IS THAT JAZZCLUB gently caress I MISSED THE LOT ENTRANCE

No no, you just find jazz too challenging and that’s why you hate the sign

You absolute plebe.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's true, I just can't swing it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Most of the complaints I saw had to do with the following:

- The color scheme, specifically the way the blue and dark red look together. The original design was not dark red, so perhaps less time than usual was spent on making the color scheme "work."
- The proportions of the two buildings to one another. I have seen folks wish that it was just one larger building, with more room for detail.
- The relative lack of detail on the main building's facade, specifically the trim. Frequently, NPU on these parts is a real highlight of modular set design, and this one just isn't attempting anything super revolutionary.
- JAZZCLUB sign. We have had many clever brick-built signs at all a manner of different scales, so relying on prints is not the most ambitious choice.

I guess I agree with the lack of facade detail and the printed signage, but I disagree about the others. I don't really have an issue with the color scheme, and I actually really like the smaller building tucked in there. The depth difference is interesting to look at and it lends a bit of design and framing to the overall build that I quite like. The greenhouse is adorable too, and I love bright light yellow/cool yellow.

Nobody's upset about that dope double bass, though.

UNRELATED, but my first article for BrickNerd is up! I'm very excited. I have many more ideas in the works, and a second article almost finished.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm worried that I'm too stupid to understand the Jazz Club.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Imagine four Lego bricks on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the brick nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of bricks and takes the place of the first brick. The formerly first brick becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff. The Jazz Club works the same way.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Cojawfee posted:

You have to be able to appreciate the bricks that aren't there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Imagine four Lego bricks on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the brick nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of bricks and takes the place of the first brick. The formerly first brick becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff. The Jazz Club works the same way.

lmao

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Carbohydrates posted:

Frequently, NPU on these parts is a real highlight of modular set design, and this one just isn't attempting anything super revolutionary.
NPU? Haven't heard that one before. I'd guess New Part Usuage from context.

Good article BTW. Some of that stuff I already knew, but only because I watched your stream on the subject. :cheeky:

deoju fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 15, 2022

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

deoju posted:

NPU? Haven't heard that one before. I'd guess New Part Usuage from context.
poo poo, my bad. It's Nice Part Usage, a term usually applied when a piece is creatively used in a way you wouldn't expect. It's usually applied when a niche piece is used in a really surprising way. I would point to the micro X-wing that used carrots as engines as a handy example. In the context of what we were discussing, think of the Mjolnir hammers used as facade trim in Assembly Square.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

It's true, I just can't swing it.

:dadjoke:

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Carbohydrates posted:

Nobody's upset about that dope double bass, though.

I am! The scale's wrong and it looks like a drat cello :mad:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

wheatpuppy posted:

You have to be able to appreciate the bricks that aren't there.

Oh that's why the sign is so bad.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Carbohydrates posted:

UNRELATED, but my first article for BrickNerd is up! I'm very excited. I have many more ideas in the works, and a second article almost finished.

this is great stuff, thank you

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Carbohydrates posted:

Seriously awesome article! I've gotten interesting older versions of some parts from Bricklink bulk orders and have been wondering about what else has changed ever since. Reading through the nuances of the part changes that you chose was a blast, I hope you continue this series!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
My biggest complaint is that there aren't any black people at the jazz club.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

PowerBeard posted:

I hope this isn't what that guy meant when he said it was too cerebral for some people to get.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PowerBeard posted:

They are yellow

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Yellow Lando was a missed opportunity

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carbohydrates posted:

Love this article! Whenever I'm resurrecting old sets the OCD part of me always tries to have the right variant for the clips, 0-rings, etc. I'm also fascinated when sets have weird versions of normal parts, or change parts partway through production. The Mobile Rocket Transport comes to mind. It has a black version of a bog-standard Technic pin that only showed up in two sets ever, as well as weird 2-finger hinges that I'm 99% sure got changed over to regular 3-finger hinges later in production (based on seeing a number of them in small used lots). Gary Istok's unofficial collector's guide is an amazing rabbit hole of similar Lego nerdom.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Very cool! Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 4150 2x2 round tile derives its X-base from the Minitalia line. Interesting that the only crossover would be the "pizza" piece!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PowerBeard posted:

Apparently it's something they've talked about internally

quote:

“I can confirm that was the original intention with the textured hair, because jazz is rooted in black culture,” Grubb told T&B, before conceding that he wasn’t able to shift the subtheme towards realistic skin tones. “The topic of yellow minifigures is a broader question than just the [modular buildings], and the policy remains the same for modulars to include yellow minifigures.”

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I feel like the best thing for lego to do is provide a selection of head and hand skin tones (and hair styles) in every set. They're already cranking up set prices, surely they can afford it, right? :v:

I personally prefer yellow minifigs, but on the other hand representation matters.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I've said for years that Lego needs to sell 'diversity packs' -- essentially, little poly bags with different skin tone heads and hands that kids can swap out on their sets. It doesn't violate any of their licensed themes and the 'action figure' rule, but it would allow for kids to have more robust options for their playtime. I've done a lot of Lego stuff with after school programs, and speaking pretty generally, 'yellow' for minifigs is coded as 'white' to younger builders, regardless of what Lego themselves says. Based on what I've heard and been told, Black kids don't see themselves in the yellow figures the same way white kids do, no matter how much the company wants to spin it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Let them trade in for free at your local LEGO store.
Kids get their figs, LEGO gets their traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I've said for years that Lego needs to sell 'diversity packs' -- essentially, little poly bags with different skin tone heads and hands that kids can swap out on their sets. It doesn't violate any of their licensed themes and the 'action figure' rule, but it would allow for kids to have more robust options for their playtime. I've done a lot of Lego stuff with after school programs, and speaking pretty generally, 'yellow' for minifigs is coded as 'white' to younger builders, regardless of what Lego themselves says. Based on what I've heard and been told, Black kids don't see themselves in the yellow figures the same way white kids do, no matter how much the company wants to spin it.

Seconding this, it's really a huge blindspot that a lot of companies like LEGO tend to just not think about at all