Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i think people have some rose tinted glasses about double shield and 2cp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Inept posted:

i think people have some rose tinted glasses about double shield and 2cp

I think some people legit like that game (including me). Hanamura and Volskaya were top tier maps for me. Shields were not a big issue in the last year, and not even meta at any tier. I don't really play any DPS characters though. The tank battle is what is interesting about OW.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

headcase posted:

The tank battle is what is interesting about OW.

no one was interested in queuing tank

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Yeah there are definitely different cohorts that want to play the game differently. It seems like most people just have a fantasy about logging in as a sniper and dominating the enemy team solo.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Bet a lot of players have a fantasy of logging in and playing a good video game bwa ha ha

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Inept posted:

no one was interested in queuing tank

Hello I am

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I have come to the conclusion I will never leave bronze and ya know

Tats ok

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've only been playing QP so far this season, and it's funny looking at my game history seeing all gray defeats for one session and then all green victories for the next. Is this balance? Lol. None of those matches ever felt close in either direction too.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If you think only playing QP is going to help you dodge the broken matchmaking, I got news for you

It's even worse in QP. It just matters less.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

If you think only playing QP is going to help you dodge the broken matchmaking, I got news for you

I told myself I'd dip my toes back into competitive for the first season of OW2 and that was it, but if QP is gonna be like this forever... lmao. Back to arcade matches and playing whatever the gently caress then I guess.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
it's definitely super weird -- when I was fighting my way out of plat support you could almost guarantee that if a team was doing poorly on a sniper map, one of their DPS would switch to widow and immediately start rolling off headshots. extremely did not feel like something your standard plat would be able to casually pull off

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

it's definitely super weird -- when I was fighting my way out of plat support you could almost guarantee that if a team was doing poorly on a sniper map, one of their DPS would switch to widow and immediately start rolling off headshots. extremely did not feel like something your standard plat would be able to casually pull off

This was actually happening during my QP matches last night. Widows just popping off left and right after switching lol.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

teagone posted:

This was actually happening during my QP matches last night. Widows just popping off left and right after switching lol.

It's real weird! like zero warmup, just immediate doming

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pattonesque posted:

It's real weird! like zero warmup, just immediate doming

You should spectate them in the replay, it may just be hax

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

dogstile posted:

Nah they should put stuns back to other characters. I get what they were going for but well, have you played support recently?

Then again I legitimately think OW2 is a step down in almost every way from 1, so YMMV

Agreed, even after I got OW2 beta access I played a few rounds then just went back to 1. Until the jerks took that way from me :mad:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You should spectate them in the replay, it may just be hax

ehhhh I usually do and it just looks like they're high diamond/low masters in a plat lobby

like they're not doing anything wrong it's just weird we're all in the same game together.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BabyRyoga posted:

you say that but I was trying to learn to play Kiriko and still got screamed at in bronze level QP for sucking. Was I sucking, yes. But how else am I supposed to learn? I play the AI and even the deadly ones are not much of a challenge.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I liked the very early OW1 quickplay days of the Anubis map where you could litter the side rooms with Symmetra turrets then lure people to chase you in to their doom. Cracking that final point on offense was hard as hell but felt great when you did it.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a widow switch can work out because people get conditioned to play a certain way and then
1) dont realize the hero swap
2) dont respect sniper sightlines or effective range even more than usual due to the conditioning

for some reason people really like taking unforced widow duels where they have an ~0% chance to kill the widow but the widow has a chance to kill them

also qp is going to be more steamrolly than ranked b/c people leave when the team loses 1 or more team fights

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

comedyblissoption posted:

for some reason people really like taking unforced widow duels where they have an ~0% chance to kill the widow but the widow has a chance to kill them

people absolutely love this poo poo. I've seen Symmetras and Moiras try peek duels with Widows and Hanzos

like I wanna sit them down and be like what was your thought process here my dude? what did you expect to happen?

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Pattonesque posted:

people absolutely love this poo poo. I've seen Symmetras and Moiras try peek duels with Widows and Hanzos

like I wanna sit them down and be like what was your thought process here my dude? what did you expect to happen?

Statistically, most Widows are Not Good so it's often a shock when people get up against one who is Good.

The real question is why they do it again. Often several times

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

SadisTech posted:

Statistically, most Widows are Not Good so it's often a shock when people get up against one who is Good.

The real question is why they do it again. Often several times

dogs learn faster, I swear

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Pattonesque posted:

When I played a ton and moved accounts through the ranks several times, it was pretty evident that 3.5k+ players were on average much harder to hit than anybody else, to the point that I'd change up my own movement and sensitivity. It is a very different game chain-hsing people who move predictably, over-expose and generally give you many unforced shots and easier line-ups, than it is to try and chain-HS in a GM game.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

When I played a ton and moved accounts through the ranks several times, it was pretty evident that 3.5k+ players were on average much harder to hit than anybody else, to the point that I'd change up my own movement and sensitivity. It is a very different game chain-hsing people who move predictably, over-expose and generally give you many unforced shots and easier line-ups, than it is to try and chain-HS in a GM game.

I do think appropriate crouch spamming and turning your back to people that can headshot is an instant SR gain, but it is so annoying gameplay-wise in terms of having a chill time and just playing the game as designed. Also A-D strafing in the optimal way. Good players are so much harder to predict. It is an skill underrated by lower SR players.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My thought is that at least on consoles there's really generous aim assist for Widows, because, I only play the character in skirmishes and death matches but even with some pretty awful aim I'm still able to get some picks, definitely feels like my shot is corrected.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

i tried playing an ow match on switch and qas basically stuck in a corner the whole time how tf do u play this game on console?? how do you 180???

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Patch notes sneak peek from Flats/Emongg stream. Hog nerfs in January

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

you download it on your PC while playing mario kart, OP

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

When can Ana 1-shot crit enemies like Widow? Where's that balance patch?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

teagone posted:

When can Ana 1-shot crit enemies like Widow? Where's that balance patch?

looks like she can 2 shot tracer now. Also, buffing biotic??

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pattonesque posted:

Patch notes sneak peek from Flats/Emongg stream. Hog nerfs in January

That Ana buff :getin:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ana buffs ftw

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Orissa ult buff is bananas against rein.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Orissa ult buff is bananas against rein.

I guess it would be too big of a nerf, but i wish you could sleep or pin her. The fortify makes it hard to counterplay.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Her ult can barely kill squishies and even that only if there's no move speed boosts on the team, and no mobility skills.

It's fine.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It just looks like a change very specifically aimed at Reinhardt, or at least one in which he is probably gonna be most affected. Orissa is already a good pick against rien, ignoring his shield with her ult tips the scales even harder.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rein simply existing basically made his whole team immune to Orisa's ult, so I can understand that change.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the Orisa buff specifically feels like a gift to me

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

It's really bizarre that they're buffing ana like that mid-season, and in between seasons she just got a 1 second sleep dart CD reduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Was there any meaningful development on the requiring a non burner phone number thing to play? Did it turn out to be a good idea or did it fizzle out somehow after it got too much criticism?