Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

whalestory posted:

Is he really that chill? I remember catching some youtube videos from his where he spectates bronze players and he just seems like a mean rear end in a top hat yelling at this monitor

Is he just a content creator for sf shock or something like that?

He said one of the chilliest dudes playing overwatch, tbf. That's likely the lower end of toxicity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

dogstile posted:

He said one of the chilliest dudes playing overwatch, tbf. That's likely the lower end of toxicity

Emongg gets the award for Chillest OW Conent Creator, the man is this constant font of positivity, I have no idea how he does it.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

whalestory posted:

Is he really that chill? I remember catching some youtube videos from his where he spectates bronze players and he just seems like a mean rear end in a top hat yelling at this monitor

Is he just a content creator for sf shock or something like that?

The players usually submit those themselves so it's not that vibe at all.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Yeah, the Bronze roasts are a gimmick that people submit themselves for on purpose. Some other coaches, even Spilo, will do a roast review on request.

Flats is one of the chillest but between his recent video and his appearance on SVB’s podcast he’s said himself that he’s snapped. For him, it’s become a Tank Hard Counter Meta 2.0, but with Hog having the S1-start Zarya position which is even worse to him.

I haven’t had much time in comp, but it hasn’t felt that bad in Quick Play, maybe because I’ve played 5 hours total in the 7 days and I made my peace with Hog as a Support main many years ago.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Proven posted:

I haven’t had much time in comp, but it hasn’t felt that bad in Quick Play, maybe because I’ve played 5 hours total in the 7 days and I made my peace with Hog as a Support main many years ago.

As a monstly Ana player in QP, it's the Kiriko-assisted Hog that's the menace. Otherwise he's just a big dumb nade/sleep target.

Apart from the times where his hook defies all physics and grabs you from around a corner.

EDIT: Last game I slept a Reaper every single time he popped ult and I have no idea how he didn't rage.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

As a monstly Ana player in QP, it's the Kiriko-assisted Hog that's the menace. Otherwise he's just a big dumb nade/sleep target.

Apart from the times where his hook defies all physics and grabs you from around a corner.

EDIT: Last game I slept a Reaper every single time he popped ult and I have no idea how he didn't rage.

The invuln nade is absolutely bananas when combined with hog. Gives him the power to delete a player/heal with zero risk.

Was playing sigma against hog last night and every single time he was vaping I'd toss a rock at him and he'd be completely immune. We ended up winning, but hats off to the kiriko.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Apropos nothing at all

Anyone remembers this and how they silently dropped it, hoping nobody would remember it?

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.
Change Hog's drink to damage reduction only, and same for Soldier's self heal can that he drops. Give Anna the ability to glide by flicking her coat out like Batman.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
my Ana game changed significantly when i learned that when you aim the scope if you have a team mate in the inverted triangle it will always hit them when you fire

now i just need to hit my loving sleep darts

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

verbal enema posted:

my Ana game changed significantly when i learned that when you aim the scope if you have a team mate in the inverted triangle it will always hit them when you fire

now i just need to hit my loving sleep darts

Teammates getting in the way is Ana's whole character. But at least you might still benefit from it.

Now, some dumbass charging at weird angles and popping your grenade. That's true fury.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If I was an Ana main then I'd really want for her grenade to work like Moira's orb instead.
Random allies popping the grenade that you meant to use on an enemy hog is super annoying.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Veryslightlymad posted:

Teammates getting in the way is Ana's whole character. But at least you might still benefit from it.

Now, some dumbass charging at weird angles and popping your grenade. That's true fury.

yeah especially cuz im pretting drat good at kobe'ing it across the map to save a fight

ana's grenade passing through teammates would be way too strong

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Agreed. It'd be too good if it worked exactly like I want it to.

Ana is a weird character for me, because my best Ana games, I have very low damage and healing. I should maybe take a closer look at my assists and elims.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
had some sick games as Zen last night. just dozens and dozens of assists. Keeping his balls moving is such a necessary need. He also compliments Junker Queen VERY well in my opinion

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

verbal enema posted:

had some sick games as Zen last night. just dozens and dozens of assists. Keeping his balls moving is such a necessary need. He also compliments Junker Queen VERY well in my opinion

That... Hm. Does his discord actually increase bleed damage? (And as a followup, does that increase healing?) That's potentially huge. He should benefit a lot from her temporary health buff.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Veryslightlymad posted:

That... Hm. Does his discord actually increase bleed damage? (And as a followup, does that increase healing?) That's potentially huge. He should benefit a lot from her temporary health buff.

i think it does? I dunno for sure though but JQ was very alive a lot of the map lmao

i also kept calling her junkrat and they were not happy about that lol

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah discord increases all damage including bleed iirc and thus increased healing. Nanoboosting a JQ also accomplishes a similar thing; real nice to combo with Rampage

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The Winter Wonderland event is live and there's zero new content for it apart from skins. Just incredible.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The Winter Wonderland event is live and there's zero new content for it apart from skins. Just incredible.

I was gonna say where's that Olympus mode or whatever and rewatched the trailer to see if there was a date. Not until Jan 5th lol.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

how do i get better at support, specifically bap?

im trying to play out my placement matches and my healing numbers lag behind my opponents half the time despite feeling like i just hold down right click the whole match.

obviously I'm doing something wrong. i feel like positioning is difficult because i want to be close enough to pop my area heal, but not close enough to get caught in the team fight. I've found it effective to get an angle where the enemy team and our tank are in line and just hold down both left/right click to heal+provide support damage. however, this seems less effective for getting team-wide heals and puts me too far out for my area heal.

the invuln field works well when I can pop it correctly, but that mostly seems like an intuitive thing to pick up. listening for opposing ult cues is pretty helpful

i find the ult difficult to use for heal buffs, but ive found it effective offensively (damage buff). is there a good way to think about using it that benefits the team rather than just me?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

one thing I've noticed is players tend to be really bad at humping corners to anti-hog

I've broken so many hooks with a hog getting infuriated and just throwing the hook on prediction and having it break by me peeking back behind the corner pre-emptively. A lot of hogs are scared to throw hooks at people really tight on a corner for this reason.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

as bap you typically want to position at the cover behind your tank's cover and behind any dps that is sharing that same cover with you. try to position with a sight line you can choose to open or close where you can contribute damage while healing. you can share your tank's cover if the enemy tank can't just walk past the corner and delete you.

You should prefer pressing left click and right click at the correct timing instead of holding down the buttons. You will be a lot more accurate and have more flexibility with your shots.

For much more dps but slightly less healing per second, you can shoot twice between healing shots. Remember that putting pressure through damage -- even if it's just on a shield -- is an indirect form of protecting your team.

If you can get one other teammate to shoot through the ult with you it's a decent baptiste ult. If you can solo ult and save or kill one person you otherwise would not have in a close teamfight, it's a good ult. The hard problem is having the enemy not line of sight your ult or just walk past it and I haven't really figured that out yet.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

man in the eyeball hat posted:

im trying to play out my placement matches and my healing numbers lag behind my opponents half the time despite feeling like i just hold down right click the whole match.

obviously I'm doing something wrong. i feel like positioning is difficult because i want to be close enough to pop my area heal, but not close enough to get caught in the team fight. I've found it effective to get an angle where the enemy team and our tank are in line and just hold down both left/right click to heal+provide support damage. however, this seems less effective for getting team-wide heals and puts me too far out for my area heal.

the invuln field works well when I can pop it correctly, but that mostly seems like an intuitive thing to pick up. listening for opposing ult cues is pretty helpful

i find the ult difficult to use for heal buffs, but ive found it effective offensively (damage buff). is there a good way to think about using it that benefits the team rather than just me?

i was an awful awful bap in OW1 sooo take this for what you will

head on swivel
never not be grenading it has like 20 shots? idk its a lot
your gun gun has 40 shots so just blast and grenade
keep the lamp in corners until your comfortable hucking it right into a fight with ally ults
shift has a huge range and increases regen which helps ur healing dont worry about being outta range for a bit with it you can close that range pretty well
hit up the practice range and learn his goofy lil recoil and where to aim on someones body to grab headshots
and gently caress his ult people will never use it just use it for you it boosts hp and damage shot through it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

man in the eyeball hat posted:

it's difficult to get a lot of team value out of Bap's ult in ranked, especially what I assume is low ranks. while obviously the more people you can get shooting through it the better don't be afraid to just use it mostly selfishly to get a pick and pump out big healing. it can be also useful to put down toward the center of a team fight since your closer range characters can dip back and forth through it to shoot in either direction that way.

for the immortality field try to place it in such a way where the actual droid/beacon would be difficult for the opponents to shoot at. for example either near the edge of a corner or just outside a low choke where the other team would need to walk out of position to get to it.

the healing pulse has a much bigger range than you probably assume it does. i recommend going into the firing range and just experimenting with how far you can stand away/above allies and still hit them with it.

for general support positioning advice I recommend Freedo's Support tutorial.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
if you are Bishop and have a Widow on your team tho goddamn that ult is NUTS

bishop/ baptiste w/e

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Frozen mode death match is not that good. Snowball mode is pretty fun. Hunters vs Yeti is kind of fun too but I'm not sure if it would be without the cute stuff associated with it (but that does go a long way).

Trip report of day 2 as a Symetra main. I don't fully understand how this works so well, because as bad as I am, and playing on console, I still usually have no problem with turrets. But just tossing them behind people while spamming the alt fire is very effective. And if you are playing against a tank with a shield, you gently caress that, and then them, up. Also it really eats up the people flanking and looking at the healers instead of you and healers will heal you if you keep them alive letting you do some stupid poo poo. And you can really break people and get them to chase you around instead of the objective like you're Widow except it feels like people shouldn't be that mad. I do way more "I hosed your game up" poo poo with Reaper and it never seems to generates the same attention.

Seems like the flanking Sym that a lot of people do, is still a pretty bad way to play the character, you don't build your beam fast enough so even most supports put you in a situation where it's a coin flip between you or them dying first. Everything is about creating chaos right next to the objective or at least that's how it seems to m e, expert, with 1 hour total on the character in the year 2022. Which is wild because in like 2017 or whatever I hated Sym because 90% of them never touched the point and it sucked to have one instead of a healer.

No clue what the point of this teleporter is, though. I try to point it at a health pack if I remember to but no one ever uses it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
does anyone here play Genji Ball?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Countblanc posted:

for general support positioning advice I recommend Freedo's Support tutorial.
one part i would disagree with is maintaining a good position and making your teammates adjust to you. it is much easier to force teamwork by following your teammates' tempo.

if your tank over-extends stupidly into a terrible position, it is much better for a support player to also over-extend with great risk to themselves to save them. if your tank dies in an even fight you probably have a < 20% chance to win, so ironically making yourself much more likely to die is the less risky play

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

verbal enema posted:

does anyone here play Genji Ball?

I play it from time to time, it's fun. spinning around to hit the ball behind me tends to catch people off guard a lot.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

comedyblissoption posted:

one part i would disagree with is maintaining a good position and making your teammates adjust to you. it is much easier to force teamwork by following your teammates' tempo.

if your tank over-extends stupidly into a terrible position, it is much better for a support player to also over-extend with great risk to themselves to save them. if your tank dies in an even fight you probably have a < 20% chance to win, so ironically making yourself much more likely to die is the less risky play

as the saying goes, one person inting sucks. five people inting at the same time is a strategy

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

This is something I'm constantly having to remind myself as Ana. It doesn't matter that I have a good positioning if all my team have decided to overextend. If they die I'll die anyway, might as well move into an extremely stupid position and hope everything goes well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What loving genius decided that Doomfist should have an unconditional stun on a 3 second countdown?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Does Kiriko's ult boost Rammatra's ult? Reddit says it boosts Reaper's ult, Hanzo's ult, and Whole Hog as well as beam-type weapons, but I have no idea what Rammatra's ult really counts as.

Is there a list I can see somewhere of what her ult boosts and does not boost?

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
They didn't remove all the stuns, they just gave them to the tanks instead

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Sailor Dave posted:

At least Orisa's pushes you out of harm's way a bit in bronze where no one can aim.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sailor Dave posted:

As it should be, but maybe not on a loving 3sec cooldown without needing to aim and going through shields and defensive moves.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Can we go back to the version of the game where Mei was removed?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nah they should put stuns back to other characters. I get what they were going for but well, have you played support recently?

Then again I legitimately think OW2 is a step down in almost every way from 1, so YMMV

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How about they nerf tanks but teams get two of them!?!?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

dogstile posted:

Nah they should put stuns back to other characters. I get what they were going for but well, have you played support recently?

Then again I legitimately think OW2 is a step down in almost every way from 1, so YMMV

I completely agree. Late stage OW1 was balanced and fun. You could play any literally any character and not have a bad time. Mcree stun is like in the dictionary definition of overwatch.

Overwatch: a game in which a larping cowboy can stun a cyborg ninja with a flashbang.

headcase fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 14, 2022