Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Phoix posted:

It's just gonna be Dune flavored Conan Exiles but that sounds a lot better than Conan Exiles

Conan loving sucks, so if this is a not-Conan version of that game I might try it I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Why do they keep making survival games? Ark already exists. It has the usual build/gather/explore gameplay loop of typical survival games, but there are also dinosaurs. That's as good as this genre is going to get, unfortunately.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Because funcom abandons their games right when you’re having fun

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Probably because Conan Exiles made them a shitload of money

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sachant posted:

I love Anarchy Online and this feels a little bit like Anarchy Online and it's from the developers of Anarchy Online so I'll try it out but I really would rather just have Anarchy Online 2 tia

Yeah this, would much rather have Anarchy Online 2. I'm not really seeing how you can make an interesting gameworld either with Dune. The entire planet is desert, it's just rock and sand.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

And you can hit the rock and scoop the sand and combine 100 rock and 30 sand into FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT.

I would much rather have AO2 than some sort of conan exiles reskin.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Yeah this, would much rather have Anarchy Online 2. I'm not really seeing how you can make an interesting gameworld either with Dune. The entire planet is desert, it's just rock and sand.

there are other places in the dune universe. like that one planet the sardaukar train on that sucks almost as bad as arrakis, or the imperial capital. or a bunch of other planets that theoretically exist but would practically speaking have to be made up for the mmo

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Everything I've heard about the Dune MMO paints it as a Conan Exiles reskin, which to me just misses every point you could possibly miss about Dune. There are settings for letting your player make their own little shitshack with a box and a workbench, but Arrakis is not it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
*funcom design meeting* so yeah, it's a sci fi setting so i figure instead of the slaves we can just have intelligent robots, easy peasy, good chat everyone!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hra Mormo posted:

Everything I've heard about the Dune MMO paints it as a Conan Exiles reskin, which to me just misses every point you could possibly miss about Dune. There are settings for letting your player make their own little shitshack with a box and a workbench, but Arrakis is not it.

To be fair, I haven't actually watched or read anything about it so I'm not a good source just making an assumption based on the 'survivor mmo' description.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Probably because Conan Exiles made them a shitload of money

Is this true? Who even likes conan

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jazerus posted:

there are other places in the dune universe. like that one planet the sardaukar train on that sucks almost as bad as arrakis, or the imperial capital. or a bunch of other planets that theoretically exist but would practically speaking have to be made up for the mmo

Okay this is a fair point. If the Dune MMO goes this direction then I will be way more interested.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

an iksar marauder posted:

Conan is awesome! :( It's just that Funcom is the I.P. rights holder and they suck so nothing good has been made with the universe for video games.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, I enjoyed Conan (with wildly adjusted harvest amounts / recipe costs). I wouldn't say it's an amazing game or anything, but it definitely scratched both my "numbers go up" and "harvest and build things so I don't die" itches.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

So Ankama came out with the alpha of their new game called Waven https://www.waven-game.com/en/. It's basically the same turn based grid battles with a card deckbuilder mechanic (YES YOU HEARD THAT RIGHT). It has no gathering/crafting for now, it's just battles after battles and dungeons. It's kinda fun? But y'know, Ankama so we'll see.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I don't get the funcom hate, unless you are just stuck at conan exiles EA launch.

Dackel posted:

So Ankama came out with the alpha of their new game called Waven https://www.waven-game.com/en/. It's basically the same turn based grid battles with a card deckbuilder mechanic (YES YOU HEARD THAT RIGHT). It has no gathering/crafting for now, it's just battles after battles and dungeons. It's kinda fun? But y'know, Ankama so we'll see.

This seems like like not at all an MMO.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, it's promoted as one because it was once meant as one, as the successor to Dofus/Wakfu, but Ankama has a misguided craving for mobile deckbuilder esports money or something that's made the game drift further and further from a MMO. But they're gonna implement the MMO part after that, promise! It's spent years through various alphas/betas, but being in dev hell is nothing new for an Ankama project. You'd have thought they'd be on a deadline because it was meant as the Unity heir to Dofus which still runs in Flash, but that hasn't quite gone as intended.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I said come in! posted:

Arrakis has poles in the book, but yeah, every single portrayal outside of that is nothing but a ball of sand.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Why do they keep making survival games? Ark already exists. It has the usual build/gather/explore gameplay loop of typical survival games, but there are also dinosaurs. That's as good as this genre is going to get, unfortunately.

ark is 300 gigs

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol Chris Metzen has come back to Blizzard.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

And continues to run like hot garbage

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

GoGoGadget posted:

And continues to run like hot garbage

Don't worry, they're going to fix that with Ark 2. :aloom:

I said come in! posted:

lol Chris Metzen has come back to Blizzard.

Wasn't he making a board game or something?

I'm surprised he didn't try a Kickstarter MMO.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Funcom

Negatives
-owned by Tencent
-Age of Conan

Positives
-Anarchy Online
-The Secret World

For some reason I had also thought they were responsible for a bunch of shovelware MMOs, but I think it was just the Age of Conan->Conan Exiles spinning my memory blew out of proportion. Dune will probably seal the coffin but who knows--Dune II was awesome, maybe World of Dune will be too!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

piL posted:

For some reason I had also thought they were responsible for a bunch of shovelware MMOs

I believe that's Cryptic you're thinking of there.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I'm thinking of playing a tauren sandworm, maybe speccing in to desert power, but I haven't decided yet

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kevin Bacon posted:

I'm thinking of playing a tauren sandworm, maybe speccing in to desert power, but I haven't decided yet

Weirding Way spec is going to be so OP.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

If you kill somebody in PvP you have to take care of their family.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Rogues better have that belt spike move so the pvp is just tryhards menacingly hipthrusting at one another.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I had a blast with Conan Exiles and it's games like that that have largely replaced playing MMO's for me. I just wish survival online games would ditch the pvp stuff, because pvp is never good. And the games that do pvp well only have good pvp for a brief moment in time before being poo poo just like they are in all games.

I'm completely baffled why every online game insists having pvp.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Mustang posted:

Mostly-free content.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

an iksar marauder posted:

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/conan-exiles-best-seller-1202866154/

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I bought a new computer for Age of Conan back in the day lol

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kaysette posted:

I bought a new computer for Age of Conan back in the day lol

I remember the release of that game and I don't think I've ever seen a quality dropoff more dramatic in one of these games than when you first left Tortage.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Absolutely baffled by this. Nerds have no taste

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Will the Dune game be brave enough to let me hang dong

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Will the Dune game be brave enough to let me hang dong

It's called wormsign. Learn the lingo.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Mustang posted:

I had a blast with Conan Exiles and it's games like that that have largely replaced playing MMO's for me. I just wish survival online games would ditch the pvp stuff, because pvp is never good. And the games that do pvp well only have good pvp for a brief moment in time before being poo poo just like they are in all games.

Or at least try something like faction based or something. 100% full pvp is exhausting.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I remember the release of that game and I don't think I've ever seen a quality dropoff more dramatic in one of these games than when you first left Tortage.

Yeah it was less of a quality drop off and more of a sheer 2000 foot quality cliff.

Goon antics in Tortage were a lot of fun, tho. I remember blocking the entrance with like four other goons (because the game had body collision), with all of us doing the “I’m on fire” emote which involved lots of incoherent screaming.

Good times.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
oof yeah i remember that feeling now, leaving the island and slowly realizing over the course of an hour that there was not a lot going on for the rest of the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4btv7TvLBQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
AoC launch was insane. I played the archer class and they had an ability called Salvo (I think?) that would just 1 shot players that were 10 level above you.