Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Opopanax posted:

They all came out at once so they probably hired some random company in China to churn them out

It's gotta be this. Though you'd think if they were batching em out there'd be some consistent standards, but there aren't. From shading to outlines to how to treat faces it's mostly muddy. Outlines: are they just for the edges of the character, or should they be there for edges of clothing? Eyes: what the everliving gently caress.

The last two pixel variants I got (from a season pass reward and collector's reserve) were Shocker and Cyclops. Shocker is awful. The dithering looks muddy and doesn't give the impression of quilt patches at all, the shading is barely passable, the outlines are only on the outside of the character and not at clothing boundaries which would go a long way. And his eyes, the eyes are so bad on so many of these - weird angles or muddy drawing obscuring what is a very important element. Plus the pose is just boring.

Cyclops I'd say is one of the better ones, his optic blast looks pretty dynamic and other than his torso the shading is handled well. The outlines are consistently at the edges of his gear, even when it's the top of the boot giving way to his pants.

Anyway yeah. There's no reason they should be so awful but they just are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Opopanax posted:

Pegasus gives you the energy when it reveals, not next turn

Then it should expire at end of turn when flipped by Scarlett or a Thanos stone

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm on iOS and I'm not seeing any new login reward variant. :smith:

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Yvonmukluk posted:

close the app and try relaunching? that worked for me on iOS

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I had to exit completely and re-enter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'll take the 1000 credits, but the pixel Spider-Woman looks like absolute rear end

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i do wonder if there's any chance they'll make a pass and redo the pixel variants, but that's probably too much money sunk to completely redo

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

flatluigi posted:

i do wonder if there's any chance they'll make a pass and redo the pixel variants, but that's probably too much money sunk to completely redo

Oh, they will. They'll find named, famous pixel artists and they'll be a distinct, named variant ("Markus Toivonen Variant"), and they'll sell them to you for 1500 gold.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

No Wave posted:

Zero + Red skull decks or Venom decks. Shuri too ofc but series 5.

Dang, none of those yet.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Studio posted:

Oh I think I get what you’re saying now. Yeah that does seem like an oversight

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

MODOK making GBS threads blood is the only good pixel variant:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Dang, none of those yet.
psylocke (or electro I presume, but I don't have that yet) ->T5 destroyer works decently well with taskmaster too. requires some decent luck with the deck though.

psylocke might be better though cuz you can do Taskmaster + a 1 card on turn 6 which is nice

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well I unlocked Mystique with some of those points, so I'll take that

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Hmm, I guess I should remember to login on my phone more often. Got the 1k credits, piX-Bones and a 100 gold hype thingie. PC never gets squat.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ninurta posted:

Hmm, I guess I should remember to login on my phone more often. Got the 1k credits, piX-Bones and a 100 gold hype thingie. PC never gets squat.

i think it's just a problem with their pc port, which they're working on overhauling and making an actual client as far as i've heard

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ninurta posted:

The inbox and news section doesn't work on PC and they don't seem be in a rush to fix that. I believe an improved PC version is still going to take a while. If you really like playing on PC it is probably better to play it via an Android emulator instead of the Steam release.

That 100 gold was reward #1 from their current "Hero" event. It's a community thing so it's a good habit to check in once at the end of the day on mobile, so you can contribute your "records" to the pile.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 16, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

They shoulda used the pixel art from the modok TV show when he got hit by a 2d ray or whatever

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I'm trying to build a deck around Zero, but I'm having a hard time getting the proper draws for it. The current deck I'm running is very WIP, I'm not even gonna share it here because it doesn't really work.

I want Zero and Ebony Maw to synergyze, and then get Armor to protect them from Killmonger. Is there anything I can do to encourage the draws I want in the first three turns?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Trucker Hat posted:

I'm trying to build a deck around Zero, but I'm having a hard time getting the proper draws for it. The current deck I'm running is very WIP, I'm not even gonna share it here because it doesn't really work.

I want Zero and Ebony Maw to synergyze, and then get Armor to protect them from Killmonger. Is there anything I can do to encourage the draws I want in the first three turns?
There isn't. Zero is the kind of card that's strong with a lot of cards - red skull, typhoid mary, attuma, ebony maw. So you run a bunch of them and try to find alternative ways of enabling each one beyond just Zero. You can run venom+zero to disable the mary/skull debuffs, taskmaster to increase value from red skull, cloak to give a way to deal with ebony maw's downside. But you'll never be able to have high odds of Zero+Maw on turn 2.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

No Wave posted:

There isn't. Zero is the kind of card that's strong with a lot of cards - red skull, typhoid mary, attuma, ebony maw. So you run a bunch of them and try to find alternative ways of enabling each one beyond just Zero. You can run venom+zero to disable the mary/skull debuffs, taskmaster to increase value from red skull, cloak to give a way to deal with ebony maw's downside. But you'll never be able to have high odds of Zero+Maw on turn 2.

I think I have a lot of collecting to do to get to a proper Zero deck then. Thanks!

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Studio posted:

Unless I am missing anything the energy “expiring” is exactly what those cards react to. This is how they are supposed to work. It’s just that’s a particularly good location for both cards. They only care about how much unspent energy you have at the end of your turn.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

No Wave posted:

Ebony Maw can also be played on Invisible Woman if you get them on time.

And yeah, it's hard enough getting 3 combo cards to line up during the entire game, never mind getting them right at the start.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Trucker Hat posted:

I don't know that an entire deck focused around Zero works, you kinda have to slot him and a couple other cards into another deck archetype.

If you're removing the abilities from them, you might as well try a Patriot deck. I run Zero, Lizard, and Typhoid Mary in mine

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Sam Sanskrit posted:

Unless I am missing anything the energy “expiring” is exactly what those cards react to. This is how they are supposed to work. It’s just that’s a particularly good location for both cards. They only care about how much unspent energy you have at the end of your turn.

So let's say you're using Sunspot, Scarlet Witch, and She Hulk.
You play Sunspot on 1.
You play Scarlet Witch on 2, get the Pegasus Project. The energy circle at the bottom reads 5. Sunspot gains 5 damage.
You now have 8 energy to play on turn 3 (Pegasus + Turn 3). If you do nothing, Sunspot gains +8. She Hulk also only costs 1. Why is that Energy, only usable for a current turn, usable for an end of turn effect... twice?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Studio posted:

So let's say you're using Sunspot, Scarlet Witch, and She Hulk.
You play Sunspot on 1.
You play Scarlet Witch on 2, get the Pegasus Project. The energy circle at the bottom reads 5. Sunspot gains 5 damage.
You now have 8 energy to play on turn 3 (Pegasus + Turn 3). If you do nothing, Sunspot gains +8. She Hulk also only costs 1. Why is that Energy, only usable for a current turn, usable for an end of turn effect... twice?

i think you're hung up on the effect 'using the unused energy,' which i don't think is an inherently incorrect way to think about the ability but leads to the problem you're having conceptually. i'd reframe it as 'you ended your turn with X mana unspent' and both sunspot and she hulk are just looking at that X for their respective abilities

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

I don't remember getting any energy on the next turn when Scarlet Witching into Pegasus Projects. The location flips and gives you energy this turn, which only benefits Sunspot and She-Hulk.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

goferchan posted:

Anyone doing anything with Absorbing Man? Just opened him which is cool because he was definitely on my "cards I want to play with but not badly enough to spend tokens on" list, like something you'd love to get as a Christmas gift but would never buy for yourself

Absorbing man can be pretty good in a lot of decks. I was running him in my surfer deck at the start of the season, playing Magik gives you a turn 7 double surfer. I got tired of that though because everyone started running surfer and then everyone else was running leech.

Right now he's in my "gently caress this meta" control deck:

You can storm -> absorbing-> spider-man -> doom on t6 when they can't play anywhere

Or if you get a power location like nexus you can spider man -> absorbing man -> chavez to lock it down

With patriot decks being in fashion you are essentially running 2 enchantresses (which could be 2 shang chis if you are running into a lot of big bois)

It's fun just shutting the board down and ruining everyone's combos. Just snap early if it looks good, you aren't getting a lot of 8 cubes wins when you are well ahead and they can't play any cards

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

flatluigi posted:

i think you're hung up on the effect 'using the unused energy,' which i don't think is an inherently incorrect way to think about the ability but leads to the problem you're having conceptually. i'd reframe it as 'you ended your turn with X mana unspent' and both sunspot and she hulk are just looking at that X for their respective abilities

It's the ending the turn part that throws me off. Wouldn't the energy generated from PP not roll over into the next turn, if the current turn ends?

Vanilla Bison posted:

I don't remember getting any energy on the next turn when Scarlet Witching into Pegasus Projects. The location flips and gives you energy this turn, which only benefits Sunspot and She-Hulk.

Happened to me today 🤷‍♂️

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

unrelated to niche game mechanic talk, there's a shitload of leech in the meta right now, yowza

Hauki
May 11, 2010

FWIW the Sera list I posted above was just stolen off the Japanese guy on snap zone, so I'm sure someone else has written a much more thorough explanation of it than I can give. He also replied to the tweet of the list with some substitutions if you're missing Mysterio.

New Leaf posted:

I'm missing a few of those.. I saw a build online and kind of merged it with yours and ended with:

Quicksilver
Lizard
Morph
Jubilee
Devil Dino
Klaw
Gamora
Spider-Woman
Abomination
Odin
America Chavez
Hulk

I don't have Sunspot or Domino sadly for early game plays but I feel like this MIGHT have some of the same effect as long as its just about Jubilee and Odin making massive curbstompers come out of nowhere.

Edit: Err, scratch that.. I just got Domino from a random mystery card.

Yeah, basically. I was running more or less the same but Professor X, Vision or Leech over Abom. for a while and it was just fine through like r70 or so. Jessica Jones is also solid, she's not the worst flip and can also reasonably be played from hand on 4 as needed.

Mierenneuker posted:

The inbox and news section doesn't work on PC and they don't seem be in a rush to fix that. I believe an improved PC version is still going to take a while. If you really like playing on PC it is probably better to play it via an Android emulator instead of the Steam release.

That 100 gold was reward #1 from their current "Hero" event. It's a community thing so it's a good habit to check in once at the end of the day on mobile, so you can contribute your "records" to the pile.

Yeah, none of the event stuff people talk about is really accessible or visible if you don't also use a mobile client. The main page is always just the featured location or the splash art, you won't see news/announcements, tips, or season stuff there, and the inbox/news just doesn't load. I did pin something on mobile and it seemed to stick just fine on both clients, I know someone mentioned that as being an issue before.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

gently caress! gently caress this goddamn losing streak. I know half of these fucks are bots because there has been way too much perfect play with Cosmo and Armor and everything else that completely bodies a DeathWave deck.
I went from being 2 cubes away from 60 down to goddamn 56. I need to take a break.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
things i've just found out:

if you click the four pane button in the bottom left here in the first image you can set what variant you want in a deck by default by clicking the header above the one you like better. great if you (like me) spend a lot of time editing variants when importing a new deck to try. it even prompts you to replace all the cards in your decks with the new variant when you change favorites

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Got the pretty cool looking not-liev schreiber Sabretooth variant and Patriot

Can’t wait to play patriot decks and get mad I’m not having the same success they have against me and then figure out through losing how to actually beat this deck :allears:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

flatluigi posted:

things i've just found out:

if you click the four pane button in the bottom left here in the first image you can set what variant you want in a deck by default by clicking the header above the one you like better. great if you (like me) spend a lot of time editing variants when importing a new deck to try. it even prompts you to replace all the cards in your decks with the new variant when you change favorites

Thank you for this. I was just swapping out in each deck

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

the_american_dream posted:

Thank you for this. I was just swapping out in each deck

yeah, it's super useful and now i just have to remember to tab over there whenever i get a new variant

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They just added the "change to this variant in all your decks" thing recently and it's a big help, was one of my main complaints before

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
That was added with the patch and it's great. Speaking of variants, the freebie I got was absorbing man, so that's cool

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
this is a pretty neat article, for people looking for deck ideas:

https://marvelsnapzone.com/top-series-3-only-decks-december-2022/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

flatluigi posted:

this is a pretty neat article, for people looking for deck ideas:

https://marvelsnapzone.com/top-series-3-only-decks-december-2022/

I guess all the posts citing their tier list as a reason for quitting got their attention. Good on them for recognizing it was harming the game.