Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

ProperCoochie posted:

babby poo poo for morons.

https://twitter.com/Tesla/status/1602789357156536321?s=20&t=vlVFPil4D3QBAz9UHF3WTA

who tf cares about video games IN A CAR? This is pathetic lol

who said the Tesla is basically "The Homer" because lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Mistle posted:

Can't find the story off the top of my head, but the short version is that Rolls Royce at the time still hand-made and hand-tuned their machines(particularly the engines for airplanes), and had little to no precision interchangeable parts in any of the construction(which seriously fucks up a military standard). U.S. sent a rep to see why the engines were poo poo and it turns out "hand-crafted" with no precision machining is bad for mass-production.
The anecdote I read and can't find basically says that so-and-so part is hand tuned to have tolerances within half an inch, which sounds good, until the Ford rep practically chokes because they've got the machining down to .001 inch tolerances or so, can replicate the part ad infinitum by someone without any special training and results in a product that you can ship a pile of parts anywhere in the world and it'll work on any member of its model line since the standards are so tight. The RR rep who is supposedly recounting the anecdote leaves the meeting extremely chastened.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Scipiotik posted:

I think musk is speed running Howard Hughes at this point.

He loving wishes he’d be played by Leo.

He’ll probably have to settle for Rob Schneider or some other shitbrain.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Elon Musk not doing much to disprove my "all economists are secretly fash" theory there.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Elon strikes me as the type of guy that would say “um, technically Anne Frank and her family broke the law while going in hiding so…”

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

BigglesSWE posted:

Kevin Sorbo as Elon and Gina Carano as Grimes

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit

kw0134 posted:

The anecdote I read and can't find basically says that so-and-so part is hand tuned to have tolerances within half an inch, which sounds good, until the Ford rep practically chokes because they've got the machining down to .001 inch tolerances or so, can replicate the part ad infinitum by someone without any special training and results in a product that you can ship a pile of parts anywhere in the world and it'll work on any member of its model line since the standards are so tight. The RR rep who is supposedly recounting the anecdote leaves the meeting extremely chastened.

ALL parts within a 1/2 inch? Thats a fuckton of variance that adds up with every part put together. I can see why Ford guys jaws dropped when they heard this stuff.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yes my local Tesla lord at work repeats the “Tesla is valued as a tech company not a car company” thing over and over again despite Tesla not producing anything noteworthy for the tech market

I think Musky said they have a battery wall and hexagon solarpanels tiles for houses.

I think there's some nice cgi renders of both these things and just like hexagon solar roads, theyre both dumb bs.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
imo we should find the guy who pushed elon down the stairs as a schoolboy, fly him to sf and get him to push elon down the stairs again

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Hammerite posted:

imo we should find the guy who pushed elon down the stairs as a schoolboy, fly him to sf and get him to push elon down the stairs again

Or maybe construct some manner of automaton, if that schoolboy is not available.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

kw0134 posted:

tbf, wasnt this before gauge blocks were wide spread? oh and WW1 era workshops had different inches in different places. like some of the mythos of engineers and craftsmen is probably similar to how cooks/chefs where you have highly skilled people that are very good at eyeballing their specific domain.

The Science of Measurement / Metrology is magic.

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Yeh, he sort of wandered round Washington in his slacks and red hat looking sad while eating a box of those giant Maltesers Americans have. Then he got on a plane and went home.

Still thinking about this post.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

PhazonLink posted:

tbf, wasnt this before gauge blocks were wide spread? oh and WW1 era workshops had different inches in different places. like some of the mythos of engineers and craftsmen is probably similar to how cooks/chefs where you have highly skilled people that are very good at eyeballing their specific domain.

There were measuring machines being made and sold all across the united states in the late 1800s that were capable of inspecting things to .00001 inches

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

thin blue whine posted:

who said the Tesla is basically "The Homer" because lol

I'm going to crash my Tesla and die... in Minecraft.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

TulliusCicero posted:

...I can't even parse this

Is he having a stroke? Am I?

Wow, way to out yourself as it being one of the few who understand it.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I'll die playing Forza while my self driving car plows into a school bus.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Rolls Royce had a bunch of gaffers who would literally hand-fit each and every engine. The finished engines were very 'tight' and fitted together exactly as they should, but it was an extremely skill-intensive process that didn't scale well. Ford collaborated to standardise everything and create a new process that could be staffed with ordinary factory workers.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I had a dream last night. I was on a tour, we all got on a boat and went down a steep causeway. And who was on that tour? Elon mush. I asked him to take a photo with me but he wasnt able to work the camera.

Also this has been a fun train wreck, twitter never really made money, it burned investment, and its only "real value" came from its use by politicians and "journalist" and thus used to effect public opinion. Its funny the "rich man" bought it, and now its gonna die.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yes my local Tesla lord at work repeats the “Tesla is valued as a tech company not a car company” thing over and over again despite Tesla not producing anything noteworthy for the tech market
i mean, they're right in that tech companies are valued based on the idea they will do a thing rather than on what they actually do.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

PhazonLink posted:

Ford literally brought the company making gauge blocks to save it from going under, in 1923, (so Ford absolutely could get as precise as it liked) but permitted it to keep selling it to whomever wanted it. It was influential enough to affect standards in the '30s, so Rolls Royce was using an antiquated system more apt for the early days of aviation than for trying to fight the industrial war that was called for at the time.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lot of early cars were built by coach builders, or in the case of Rolls Royce, using tooling meant for coach building so that’s why the early cars were all slightly wider than a horse’s arse.

A4 paper is the size of a 13th century sheepskin cut into four.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I thought A series paper was based on root 2 and size A0 was a big sheet that had an area of 1 square meter.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/somospostpc/status/1603529332240138241?t=totEW-NepAlOAN9N5VwVKQ&s=19

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

learnincurve posted:

Lot of early cars were built by coach builders, or in the case of Rolls Royce, using tooling meant for coach building so that’s why the early cars were all slightly wider than a horse’s arse.

A4 paper is the size of a 13th century sheepskin cut into four.

These kind of standards which exist now only due to an arbitrary choice in the past or due to technical limitations which no longer exists are interesting to a specific kind of nerd.

Many contemporary tech companies making software you use daily still write code in lines of just 80 characters or less because that's how many punches wide a physical IBM punch card was.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol they were talking about his jet

elon is going to burn every non-chud account over his dumb plane lol

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

I think Musky said they have a battery wall and hexagon solarpanels tiles for houses.

I think there's some nice cgi renders of both these things and just like hexagon solar roads, theyre both dumb bs.

The Powerwall does actually exist, work, and (in an unusual move for Tesla) not burst into flame even when provoked.

But they still hosed it up with an absolute garbage list of installation partners and an inability to deliver units on time.

Well, that and Elmo's consistent folly (see: cars, Starlink) of forgetting people live in climates that are not Palo Alto.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

kazil posted:

lol at so many problems being cause by stupid men and their peepee ego issues.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MichaelEHayden/status/1603532698928041986

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

kazil posted:

I hope he goes after truth social next, they did a whole push notification thing to proudly proclaim elonjet was also on truth. I don’t think this is going to end how Elon wants it to end

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
im excited to watch the latest victim of the streisand effect in real time

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/jules_su/status/1603524472161685505

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

james woods

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Buce posted:

james woods

lmao

pride: the elon musk story
starring james woods, jon voight and hitler

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Buce posted:

james woods

We’re not allowed to make guillotine comments but am I allowed to hope someone crams a hosed up VHS tape into Elon’s chest vagina?

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Convex posted:

lmao

pride: the elon musk story
starring james woods, jon voight and hitler

Kevin Sorbo as lil X

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

PITY BONER posted:

So, theoretically, the money I'm saving allows me one free penis reveal to a flight attendant as long as she accepts the horse?

Correct.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

1. Elon bans the ElonJet account on twitter.

2. ElonJet opens @mastodon.social account.

3. @mastodon.social bans elonjet's account.

4. Elon bans mastodon's twitter account.

5. @mastodon.social reinstates elonjet's account.

:lmao:

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

heavy liquid posted:

1. Elon bans the ElonJet account on twitter.

2. ElonJet opens @mastodon.social account.

3. @mastodon.social bans elonjet's account.

4. Elon bans mastodon's twitter account.

5. @mastodon.social reinstates elonjet's account.

:lmao:

Are you serious? I was mid-sentence on #3 when I thought "Hmm maybe I should join Mastodon.social", but then I saw they banned him, but now I'm back on board because of #5. :psyduck:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1603454821700452365

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

This guy just got suspended lmao

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1603541031911202816