Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

chad, clarine, shanna, wolt, fir, sue, gwendy, trec, the rest is lper's choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
All the people who give lper a choice are cowards, coward i say!!!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

mandatory lesbian posted:

All the people who give lper a choice are cowards, coward i say!!!

i run out of ideas, cut me some slack!!!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I vote to deploy mandatory lesbian so they can prove how brave they are

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I vote to deploy mandatory lesbian so they can prove how brave they are

Heather is in Radiant Dawn tho

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Debias, Gwendolyn, Bors, Barthe, merlinus, marcus, zealot, wolt, dorothy, sue

Booky posted:

i run out of ideas, cut me some slack!!!

You forgot to include Debias, liberator of the western isles.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Elen, Gwen, Wolt, Chad, 6x LPer’s Choice

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Alan, Lance, Treck, Shin, Zealot, Astolfo, Shanna, Clarine, Debias and Rutger.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Astolfo, Chad, Merlinus, Dorothy, Wolt, Sin, Sue, Debias, Saul and Ogier

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Shanna too, gently caress it shes cute
You. You get me.

This is how I always play Fire Emblem games.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If we're going by cuteness can we hack Wallace in?

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

If we're going by cuteness can we hack Wallace in?

Nah, not good enough. We need Wrys.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Voting is closed!

Shanna: 12
Sin: 9
Chad: 8
Sue: 7
Elen: 6
Wolt: 6
Gwendolyn: 6
Clarine: 5
Debias: 5
Lance: 4
Trec: 4
Alen: 3
Fir: 3
Dorothy: 3
Bors: 3
Barthe: 3
Astolfo: 3
Lugh: 2
Saul: 2
Rutger: 2
Merlinus: 2
Zelot: 2
Marcus: 1
Ogier: 1

LPer's choice: 40

Lance and Trec are currently tied for the tenth spot. If I hadn't already locked in Lance for next chapter, I'd probably be giving him the nod, but sure, Trec can come. That being said, we are a little light on swords right now, and a little heavy on bows expecially with Klein joining. Gwendolyn's probably getting voted in every single time if I let her, so let's go ahead and give her a break and put in... I was gonna say Fir, but presumably she'll make it in next time even though we can still recruit Bartre without her. So uh, how about... Bors! See if his turnaround sticks or not, maybe try and work on his support with Debias.

That gives us: Roy, Wade, Lot, Lilina, Shanna, Sin, Chad, Sue, Elen, Wolt, Clarine, Debias, Trec, Bors

Probably don't expect an update until after the holidays. OTOH, I have a feeling I'm finally going to lose my ongoing battle with the character limit for this chapter, so depending on if/how I decide to split things up I might have something out sooner than anticipated.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

tfw you're in a tight jam and pull off some clever strats to get yourself out that make you feel like a tactical god... only to drop Wade into the range of a generic-rear end bandit that ORKOs him for no reason. The only thing taking the sting out is that one of Thea's idiot brigade immediately suicided into the same bandit, so the run was a lost cause anyway.

This is my way of saying to keep being patient, because I'm not even done with gameplay for the update yet.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Good to hear. Hope you show off the recruitment method I'm hoping for.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Gotta love it when the AI goes "you know those units you want to keep alive well TOO BAD we're taking a page from the PSX Final Fantasy Tactics method of combat and suiciding before you get a turn."

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Delphisage posted:

Good to hear. Hope you show off the recruitment method I'm hoping for.

this seems incredibly pointless

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

RevolverDivider posted:

Nobody in Melth's thread knew about it, so I need it to be addressed.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Shei-kun posted:

Gotta love it when the AI goes "you know those units you want to keep alive well TOO BAD we're taking a page from the PSX Final Fantasy Tactics method of combat and suiciding before you get a turn."

Honestly if it had only been the NPC that died I would have strongly considered just soldiering on, we really don't need the elysian whip.

RevolverDivider posted:

And yeah, sorry, but this is a whole lot of extra effort for no real reward. If Thea didn't take quite so long to show up I'd consider it, but letting Klein's squad run rampant for like 5 turns is a dealbreaker for me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

You're not fooling me, postman.

Besides, as you pointed out, it was already addressed in previous lps

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Cattail Prophet posted:

And yeah, sorry, but this is a whole lot of extra effort for no real reward. If Thea didn't take quite so long to show up I'd consider it, but letting Klein's squad run rampant for like 5 turns is a dealbreaker for me.

I thought Klein's squad stood still unless one of your units got in range like in 11A?

Goddammit, now nobody's going to learn that method. I need people to know more about this game!

FoolyCharged posted:

Besides, as you pointed out, it was already addressed in previous lps

Nobody commented on it in Vilkacis's LP, and nobody brought it up in Melth's playthrough of 11A during a whole argument around Tate's scenario. It implies nobody knows about it.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 28, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Delphisage posted:

I thought Klein's squad stood still unless one of your units got in range like in 11A?

Between what I remember from my own experience and what I can discern from opening the chapters up in FEBuilder, I don't think this is correct on either route, in any version of the game. Vanilla Klein and Thea have that weird AI where they can randomly decide to just... not move, but it's not tied to having someone in their range, and afaict they both start moving immediately in Project Ember.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Delphisage posted:

Nobody in Melth's thread knew about it, so I need it to be addressed.

People know about it’s just pointless and slows down the LP for no reason

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

wait whats the recruitment thing again

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
some bullshit about having shanna talk to thea both before and after recruiting klein that's technically possible but really annoying and bothersome for no actual benefit

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Doesn't that option gently caress with her troops ai and is even more of a pain in the rear end than it sounds?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

sounds neat but annoying unless u make a separate suicide bit for that one ch

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
I find this map to be comparable to Conquest Map 10 with all the side objectives. Very fun, but very challenging. The lack of dancer means solutions are less flexible than the Echidna map, especially on Hard or Maniac.

My solution was to rescue drop a recruited Klein over to a javelin-baited Thea the turn after she appears so that her pegasus squad become a non-factor. The axe bros and Lilina are able to proceed to the houses and Gonzales, taking advantage of how the Warrior cannot use its weapons. Tanking the reinforcement cavalry in the southern part of the corridor, pre-baiting enemy archers, and yet more rescue dropping allows the NPC archers to make their escape.

NeoRonTheNeuron fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 29, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Our crew for today. We ended up with a three use iron sword last chapter that I'm giving to Chad, since he wants to have open inventory slots anyway, and I figured since I made a big deal out of light blades making the barrier staff actually sort of relevant, I might as well make a good faith effort to put some of these pure waters to use.

Also, fair warning before we get started: This chapter is going to be split into two updates, there's just way too much going on to squeeze it all in.

All the paths through this map start with us going the same direction, so these first couple turns are going to be a bit of a mess in terms of visualizing how the army is splitting up. You'll just have to bear with me, I promise I'm following a plan and not just moving people around at random.

Chad takes the first kill with his knife, which will let him soften up the shaman on enemy phase while also forcing the other fighter to eat a counter no matter who he targets.

Our other units hang back a bit in order to keep it that way. Except for Clarine, everyone who hasn't moved yet is going to be heading up the left side.

To that end, Debias gets started on the cracked wall.

I had intended to knock out Wade and Lot's support first thing, but I screwed up a few other characters' positioning and now they'll have to wait. It's fine, there's plenty of time.

Shanna moves in just outside the danger zone, and we end turn.

Turns out I was a massive idiot last time and forgot that Melady doesn't actually leave the castle until after the battle starts.

: Unfortunately, no. But a bishop named Orlo in charge of the mines in the north may know.

: Very well. Then we head north.

Wait, poo poo, I just realized: Because the route split flips the order of the counterpart chapters, Galle and Melady canonically visit both places regardless of which route you're on. It's kind of neat that the logistics work out that way.

: Galle... I'm sorry. King Zephiel wanted to keep the matter of Princess Guinivere a secret, so only I was assigned to search for her. I'm sorry to get you mixed up in this...

: Don't worry yourself.

: But you work directly under General Murdock. Surely you have other duties.

: General Murdock agreed to allow me to assist you. He thinks it's vital we find the princess and the Fire Emblem.

: ...Do you think Princess Guinivere has the Fire Emblem?

: That's what His Majesty the king thinks. And I think he's correct, all things considered.

: ......

: Come now, don't be like that... I'm sure Princess Guinivere went with good intentions. Let's hurry now.

: You're right...

With them gone, enemy phase can start properly.

While most of the enemies are content to stay put for now, these fighters aggro immediately.

Technically Chad could have died here, but like, it's turn one. There's no real sunk cost to taking this gamble.

The only other movement is the two promoted enemies. This is good news in the sniper's case, less so for the hero.

And now for the first of several hints that you should bring one of the axe bros to this chapter.

: ...What... happened...?

: We found you lying at the entrance to the village, covered in wounds. We took you home and have been taking care of you.

: Thank you... But you are...?

: My name is Mary. I live in this village.

: ...You live here... Oh no! My very presence endangers this village... ...It may even be too late...

I'll cut Elffin some slack for being a bit slow on the uptake, given his injuries.

: I'm sorry?

: I am Elffin... One of the resistance force. The lord here is sure to send troops in to capture me.

: The resistance force...

: Lady Mary, you should leave here. The village is in danger.

: ...No, I will stay.

: ...Why?

: I have a younger brother, but he left with his friend next door to find work. I'm taking care of his friend's sister. I can't abandon her.

I don't quite get why Mary lets Mieu stay in the other house alone, but whatever.

: I understand... The most I can do to protect this village is leave. I thank you again for tending to my wounds. Please take care.

: Yes, you too.

This is actually the only attempt where Chad got hit here, which will require a slight adjustment to the plan for turn two.

Chad circles around to steal the guiding ring, while Roy and Wolt clean up after him.

Sin gets the honor of deleting the last enemy in the immediate vicinity.

Here's where we get a bit creative. The sniper's going to be within striking distance next turn, but Wolt can't quite get close enough to head him off on his own, even if he'd used his full movement this turn. With a quick rescue chain, though, he's good to go. Clarine would be helping with this if Chad hadn't needed a heal, freeing Sue up to do other things.

This specific arrangement also keeps Wolt away from the mercenary. Not that he'd be in any real danger, but countering is still better than not countering.

Now for the other group. Lilina breaks out her elfire tome to finish knocking this wall down.

Bors and Lot make short work of the soldier standing guard behind it, and we've got a clear path into the village.

Shanna has a... not completely terrible matchup against this mercenary, so she'll be baiting him on enemy phase... specifically from this space, so Elen can reach her next turn if she loses the coinflip.

That just leaves Wade to bring up the rear.

Chad and Shanna both luck out, and there's nobody else in range, so enemy phase goes by quickly.

I've pretty much stopped commenting on weapon rank increases at this point. Maybe eventually I won't even bother showing screenshots of them.

:getin:

It's time for this group to split up. Roy and Clarine join Sue and Wolt on the right. (Obviously, since it's where Klein shows up.)

Meanwhile, the other three are going to head up the center of the map.

The two archers behind the wall only have short bows, so this corridor is safer than it looks.

Speaking of, Trec starts trading blows with one of them.

With no need to heal Shanna, Lilina is free to occupy this space instead.

Visiting this house is a bit awkward, because it leaves you vulnerable to the archer up above. Debias is the only bow user we sent this way, and unsurprisingly he's facing a visible crit rate, with enough punch to really make it sting thanks to the silver bow. He does at least survive, but even so my first instinct was to send in Shanna and canto back out to safety. However, imo neglecting to soften up this archer when I had the chance is what ultimately led to my undoing in both of my failed attempts. So we're going to ignore instinct and use Debias as bait. If he gets crit then he gets crit. :shrug:

: Her brother and his friend are both traveling, trying to make money. It's too dangerous to go outside now... Can you go check on her? Here, I'll give you this for your trouble...

There's hint #2.

Bors continues trying to build support while Wade and Lot activate theirs.

: Wade, can't you calm down a bit?

: What's that? You scared, Lot?

: Not likely!

: Then what's the problem? I rush in, and you do everything else. That's worked great so far.

: Yeah, but...

: But what?

: Mary asked me to take care of you.

: My sister said that? I'm not a kid anymore...

: I wish that were true.

: Did you say something?

: No, nothing.

And that makes three. Honestly, if you're going to hide a clue towards a gameplay reward behind a support conversation, this is about as reasonable as you can make it. It's a fast growing support, Wade and Lot are both super early recruits that will likely end up next to each other a bunch just through normal play, and there's enough other hints that a blind player could potentially still figure it out without seeing the support.

Elen heals Lot while Shanna goes shopping. It'd been a while since I last played at this point and I didn't check our stocks beforehand, so I don't have a great idea of what we really need. I know we just bought some axes last chapter though, and I'm pretty sure we're still fine on lances for a while, so I just went for a short axe, which is new, and one each of the bows.

That was the end of our turn, by the way. Bors and Chad both put in some good dodging work.

Several of the enemies in the right side of the village decide to start moving. I'm guessing engaging this archer triggered it.

Not only did the archer not crit, he didn't even hit! Debias, master of evasion makes his triumphant return. :smug:

:siren:Light blade, 12 o' clock!:siren:

Not much we can do about it for now except stick a bow user at the edge of his range. The original plan was to use Sue for this and follow through on the pure water, even if it only takes her from a 2 hit KO to a slightly less overkill 2 hit KO. However, uh, she'd be staring down a 1% crit rate as well, and I already tempted fate once.

Wolt, on the other hand, has no such issues, and just as much resistance now that I look at it. Unfortunately there's no convenient way to get the pure water into his inventory. Another day, perhaps.

Clarine doubles back momentarily to patch up Trec for yet another disappointing level. Cecilia's prospects are looking higher and higher. That leaves Roy hanging out to intercept Klein next turn.

We clear out both archers, leaving just the shaman to worry about in this central area.

While I'm going out of my way to let them contribute, other than talking to their sisters Wade and Lot are mostly just warm bodies at this point. But like, that's honestly fine? Someone's gonna have to carry Thea's peg knights around later.

Okay, even though I know it's safe, this still feels so wrong.

Time to check in with the boss.

: Why is it taking so long to find a single member of the resistance?!

: It's the Lycian Army! They've joined the battle on behalf of the villagers...

: The Lycian Army? They would betray Etruria?!

: Also, milord, we have received a missive from Jutes. The Lycian Army is suspected of working with the bandits. The missive says to take them dead or alive.

: Oh really? They have ties with bandits? The irony! Those fools only want to save face...

: Excuse me, milord?

: This is not the mainland. The Isles are ruled by might.

: I'm not quite sure I understand...

The level of cognitive dissonance this soldier is capable of is truly impressive.

: Pay it no mind. Was that all the message from Jutes said?

: There's more. Lord Arcardo has provided us with reinforcements.

: What?!

: They should arrive soon.

Guessing this is another Rutger situation where the hack has moved Klein's arrival up a turn, except at the end of enemy phase instead of the beginning, because otherwise the dialogue here gives you literally zero warning.

: Confound it! We won't get credit for defeating Lycia if we're aided by reinforcements! We must wrap this up before they can join the fight... Ah, I've an idea! Get me Scollan!

: Yes, milord.

Remember, that soldier is completely clueless that his boss is colluding with bandits.

: Burn down the village. Kill any who resist.

: ...Can we take the loot?

: Do as you wish. Just do it quickly.

: You can count on us, Lord Zinque. Heh heh heh...

To recap, Etrurian reinforcements: bad, steal credit from you. Bandit reinforcements: good, totally your idea.

This is all the action, so we can proceed directly to Klein's entrance.

: I know. But Lord Arcardo says they're allied with the bandits now. Why they're doing exactly the opposite of their assignment is beyond me...

: Thea, take your soldiers and attack from the north. I'll commence the attack from here.

: Yes, sir.

: I hear that you have siblings.

: Yes, sir, I have two sisters. One older, one younger.

: Are they pegasus knights like you?

: They are, actually. Why do you ask?

"I heard there was this one pegasus knight in the Lycian Army that's just the worst and wondered if you knew her."

: I have a younger sister myself...

: Any sister of yours must be enchanting.

: Yes, she is a sight. I heard, however, she got tangled up in some mess and now she's missing...

: What? Oh my...

How did Clarine manage to end up all the way in Laus, anyway?

: I have some people looking into it, but they've yet to find anything. If I didn't have this mission, I would search for her myself...

: Thea, be careful out there. For your family's sake.

: Yes, sir. Thank you.

: Sir, are you sure?

: Of what?

: Lord Arcardo said Ilia's pegasus knights are expendable. They should be fighting on the front line, not us. Surely the lives of us Etrurian soldiers are more valuable.

Frankly none of you have any business being on the front lines.

: Don't be ridiculous. They are reliable companions. We will attack at the same time... or before them, if need be. Understood?

: Yes, sir.

: The army from Lycia only arrived very recently. How could they create ties with the bandits so quickly...?

That's a great question, Klein! Why not let Roy answer it for you?

: Aren't you an Etrurian commander? Why are you attacking us?!

Oh great, Oblivious Roy is back.

: I have specific orders from Lord Arcardo to take you down.

: Can't you see what's happening here? The people are suffering from the lords' abusive treatment! And you're helping them. You should be ashamed!

: ...Wait. Are you saying that you're helping the villagers?

: Yes. The lord here is ransacking the village in search of the resistance. We're fighting to stop him. And you're apparently on his side.

: I had no such intention. My orders stated that you were the ones working with the bandits.

Roy never actually mentioned bandits. Clearly Klein already has his own suspicions.

: What?! Why would we be working with bandits? We just want to ckean things up here and get home to Lycia!

: ...Such nerve.

: What?!

: Lord Arcardo has made a fool of me. I have been so blind not to see through his thin veil of deceit.

: ...Do you see what we see now?

: I am Klein of House Reglay of Etruria. Forgive me for my misguided attack against you.

Meh, you hadn't actually done anything yet.

: I am General Roy of the Lycian Army.

: General Roy, I would advise you to be cautious. With you against Lord Arcardo, I expect him to use every pawn at his disposal to have you dealt with.

: Thank you for the advice...

: If you would allow it, I will join you.

: You will?

: Yes. I wish to monitor you as an Etrurian commander. I should prove useful as both a fighter and a diplomat.

: Thank you.

Sniper and co obtained! :toot:

pre:
Growths

HP   70   Lck  50
Str  30   Def  10
Skl  55   Res  15
Spd  40
I... don't really know how to feel about Klein. Like, I'm sure he's still perfectly competent, and he even retains his niche from vanilla of having relatively good growths for a prepromote, but with how much better Wolt and Dorothy are now, he just feels kind of lackluster in comparison. It's sort of a trend among the prepromotes that already had a reputation for being pretty good; they still have solid bases, but without a whole lot else going on. And that's fine, but it does mean they're not quite as fun to play around with as characters who got more dramatic glowups.

Klein does introduce us to another new bow, though! The recurve bow is a killer bow, but more: more might, more crit... but also more weight. Which wouldn't be a problem if you could give it to, say, a general or warrior, but every archer except for Klein himself takes a speed penalty from it. Don't get me wrong, it's still cool, and frees up your killer bows for other people to use, but depending on the situation it can be more of a sidegrade than a straight upgrade. Klein starting with it also means that trying to recruit him would have been even more of a pain in the rear end than usual if we weren't already in range.

Klein's subordinates all have silver bows, and stats that aren't really that far off of his if you ignore their defenses.

Fortunately for my sanity, we can leave them to their own devices for a while. They won't move unless they have a clear path to the exit up here, and the only way to get there until we start breaking cracks is single file up the far right. That corridor currently has a fighter blocking either end with more enemies on the way, so for now they'll be staying put.

As for our more immediate concerns, I briefly consider fishing for a crit, but ultimately decide against it.

Checking back in up here, Chad and Trec easily dispatch the shaman.

That leaves Sin free to take a potshot at somebody across the wall. My first thought was the soldier, since the shaman is already on his way to Roy's group, but A) by the time he gets there we'll probably want Klein's squad to have already started moving, and B) the soldier is in range to get healed, undoing Sin's work as well as letting the priest loose to start running around and healing other enemies.

Shanna picks up some free experience. I am curious how much harder the chapter would actually be if this guy was set up properly, because unlike the hero and sniper he doesn't have anything we haven't seen before.

I assume he's supposed to move like they do, but depending on which way he goes it might not be that big a deal. None of the units we sent this way have really had much to do yet, and they certainly could have spared a few actions taking care of the warrior.

Literally zero combat on enemy phase. Don't be fooled though, this is just the calm before the storm.

Let's kick off the turn by getting this conversation out of the way.

: Clarine? You are safe!

: I'm sorry I left like I did. But I wanted so badly to see you!

: Oh, the trouble you get into... Well, you're safe, and that's what matters.

For a given value of "safe," anyway.

: ...What brings you out here? Did you find a trustworthy mercenary for hire?

: No, I joined the Lycian Army.

: The Lycian Army?!

: Yes!

: Well... I'm sure you've been through much with them.

: I'm a lady now, I am.

With that, Klein starts his mad dash up to the top of the map in order to intercept Thea when she arrives.

Wolt and Sue take out the first fighter, with the latter positioned to start chipping away at this soldier, while Roy falls in behind.

Up here, Sin, Trec, and Chad have more or less reunited with the rest of the army.

The remaining fighter only has a weaker ranged option to work with, so Shanna is actually reasonably safe.

Lilina wasn't necessarily my first choice to take this kill, but setting it up for someone else would cost time that we don't have right now. The level's good though, so I can hardly complain.

Another thing we don't have time for: visiting that house. We'll just have to double back later. What's so urgent, you ask?

Surprise! The bandits are another instance of Project Ember preserving same turn reinforcements. Admittedly the only way they could ambush one of your units is if you sent Shanna off on her own, and at that point you have only yourself to blame. Getting to move immediately does mean you have to hustle that much more to beat them to the houses, though.

: There's a village to the south. With me so far?

: With you so far.

: Good. It might be a base for the resistance. Zinque says to burn it to the ground, village and all.

: Village and all...

: Good, you understand. Now get goin'! Don't screw this one up, you dimwit.

: I... I...

: You got a problem? Does your head hurt from thinking too much?

: N-no...

:smith:

: There's nothin' wrong with tearin' down a few houses. Are we clear, wretches? No questions?

Scollan might be the most satisfying (mini)boss to kill in the whole game. Either him or Narcian, with honorable mentions to finally pinning down Roartz and Arcardo.

Shanna dodges nicely, and... not gonna lie, I totally missed that Sin was in range of that archer.

These guys are keeping this pipe clogged, just as planned.

And apparently both this soldier and the archer came after the priests in the move order, because neither of them got healed. That's the good news, now for the bad:

Alright, let's assess the situation. Once the bandits show up, you have three turns, potentially only two, until the houses get got. That may sound like plenty of time, but if you don't have a plan in place before they get close, you've probably already lost, and it's all because of this guy:

Yes, you are reading those stats correctly. Most of our army can't even survive a normal hit from Scollan, let alone a crit. And good loving luck dodging; the devil axe's accuracy has nearly doubled from vanilla. Its backfire mechanic has also been reworked to key off of level rather than luck, though I'm not entirely sure how that interacts with promotion. Letting all promoted units swing the devil axe with no risk feels weird to me, but tbh so does erasing all of your progress towards mitigating it when you promote. Either way, it's almost universally a buff in enemy hands thanks to their nonexistent luck.

So letting Scollan get an attack off is almost certain to be a Very Bad Time, and with half of our bow users on the other side of the map, not to mention Lilina needing to recruit Gonzalez, our options for dealing with him at range are rather limited. The plan, such as it is, is to hope that the generic brigand highlighted above moves before he does and fills in the top of the gap between the houses. Then we put one of our units directly underneath, forcing Scollan to go the long way around and buying us time to chip away at him.

Of course, that leaves us without much to do this turn other than cleanup. Trec does get the world's most unnecessary necessary crit, though!

Don't mind me, just double checking that I didn't accidentally screw things up horribly.

Back on the right, Sue finishes what she started before Clarine prepares her to face her next opponent.

To close out the turn, Roy and Wolt get this crack ready to break at a moment's notice should the need arise. ...Huh, I never noticed before that the UI for map animations actually arranges the HP boxes according to where the combatants are standing.

So far the plan is working out.

Which is more than I can say for Sue's stats. That's her second one stat level of the chapter.

Note that the other fighter has finally aggroed. Klein's squad should be free to start escaping in a couple more turns.

Alright, before we put the plan into action, let's find out if we even need to. Obviously two crits would be ideal, but even just one should be enough to work with.

No dice, unfortunately. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Now, we do still have to think a little bit, because whoever we use as a roadblock has to be able to tank this guy in addition to the other generic.

Here's the list of who we have up here that can do that:
  • Trec
  • that's it

In retrospect I probably should have done this first, just on the off chance that Debias pulls off a lucky crit.

Speaking of pulling off lucky crits... :v:

Remember that short axe brigand? Yeah, neither Wade nor Lot can go a round against him. We can still visit one house this turn, but Lot will need to get rescue chained out of the way afterwards.

: Lot! You've returned?

: No... We just happened to be nearby.

: Oh... Mieu won't be happy about that.

: I've made you take care of Mieu ever since our mother died. I'm sorry to force that burden on you.

: It's not your fault...

: Someday... I swear... I swear I'll return. ...Can I leave Mieu to you until then?

: ...You swear it?

: ...Yes.

: Don't lie like that... This is war. You don't know if you'll come back.

No, Mary, it's fine, I'll just reset if he dies.

: But I'll be waiting... Until eternity.

: I'm sorry.

: Oh, you should take this.

: What is it?

: It's a special weapon. It will help you keep your promise.

: I appreciate it. Now... I must be off again.

: Be careful...

I kind of get the vibe that there's some unresolved feelings between these two. I dunno, maybe I'm reading too much into things.

And there we go. As long as Trec doesn't turn our streak of surprise crits against us, we should be fine.

We could opt for a turtling strategy over here too, but the numbers actually work out for us to go on the offensive.

The fighter doesn't have a ranged option, and Roy can just barely survive the other two remaining enemies.

Clarine even has time to heal someone else, since he dodged successfully. End of turn.

It would've been nice if at least one of those had been a miss, but Trec and Roy both do their jobs.

Ah poo poo, here we go.

: Captain... Are you sure we'll be all right?

: Is something wrong?

: The Etrurian army may consider us disposable and send us to the front...

: Where did you hear that?

: One of the other riders heard a rumor from the Etrurian army.

Not gonna lie, it kinda bugs me that after consistently capitalizing "Lycian Army," the script doesn't offer Etruria the same distinction.

: Pay no mind to mere rumors.

: But...

: I'm certain Commander Klein would never approve of that.

: Do you really think so?

: Commander Klein's not like that. I trust him with my life.

brb, gonna load up the chapter again and have Klein kill Thea personally. :v:

: ...Very well. Then we'll trust him as well, for we trust you, Captain.

: Good. Let's go!

This feels like a good spot to take a break, but first I want to point out our new predicament (besides Thea's squad bearing down on us, that is): Lilina can't reach Gonzalez this turn. Unless we execute a full retreat (which is in fact a possibility), we need to figure out a way to safely box him in while also dealing with everyone else. And although Gonzalez isn't nearly as much of a threat as his boss, there's also the risk of him getting himself killed.

To that end, here's a sneak peak at Gonzalez's stats before we go. How will we get ourselves out of this one? You'll just have to wait to find out!*

*Or run the numbers yourself I guess, if you really want to cross reference a bunch of stat screens.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Nice, looks like you have it under control!

Full HP Sin (HP 31, Def 9) can tank Gonzales (Atk 38), and Scollan is beaten by another round of arrows from Sin and Debias.
Your Klein can reach a Tate that gets baited south, and the archer buddies are in a safe spot until the cavalry reinforcements arrive. They should be due any moment now.

I never considered clearing out the right side or breaking the right wall. Feels wrong to split the army so much, but your way seems better. My decision to break the central corridor wall drew Klein's archers into reach of the cav reinforcements, making it harder to manage.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The light blade having 60 uses is unhinged

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Of note, the Devil Axe always worked like that in FE6.

What a strange game.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Faillen Angel posted:

Of note, the Devil Axe always worked like that in FE6.

What a strange game.

What? No, that can't be right, I checked on Serenes and everything.

*Looks at axes page again*

See, it says right there: "Damages user if Luck is low"

*Checks calculations page to confirm*

"Backfire rate = (21 – Level) % [minimum is 1]"

...What the gently caress, Serenes, why would you lie to me before?

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Nice, looks like you have it under control!

Full HP Sin (HP 31, Def 9) can tank Gonzales (Atk 38), and Scollan is beaten by another round of arrows from Sin and Debias.
Your Klein can reach a Tate that gets baited south, and the archer buddies are in a safe spot until the cavalry reinforcements arrive. They should be due any moment now.

I never considered clearing out the right side or breaking the right wall. Feels wrong to split the army so much, but your way seems better. My decision to break the central corridor wall drew Klein's archers into reach of the cav reinforcements, making it harder to manage.

Part of this post is going to be really funny after I get the second half written up.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My favorite thing about supports is their existence implies that when someone isn't plot relevant or on the battlefield, they're just following the resident Lord in silence which makes the army seem like a cult.

And to be fair if I saw a completely silent group of 50 or so people I'd be far more terrified than if I saw a rowdy one

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Welcome back! When last we left our intrepid heroes, they had found themselves in a bit of a sticky situation. We're out of time to stall Scollan, Gonzalez is out of reach, and the other two brigands are no slouches either, not to mention the squad of pegasus knights looming in the north. Not insurmountable by any means, but it will take a bit of finesse. First though, I need to issue a slight correction. It was brought to my attention after the last update that the FE6 devil axe has always worked off of level rather than luck. Strange but true!

While I go over our options, please enjoy this image of how our premier dodge tank would have fared trying to go up against Scollan. There's two main ways to handle this. First, we could run away and regroup. This is... actually fairly viable. We'd need to visit the other house first, but Sin is close enough to grab whichever axe bro we'd send and get out of harm's way. Heck, we could even still kill Scollan while doing this by taking advantage of the wall. The main problem with going this route is that it doesn't get us any closer to recruiting Gonzalez, which would make the next few turns a bit trickier, but in retrospect it also would have offered a few long term advantages as far as the big picture of the chapter.

As that last line might imply, I ended up taking a more aggressive approach, eliminating both Scollan and the generics while boxing Gonzalez in with units who can both tank a hit from him and not accidentally kill him in the event his devil axe backfires. We have three options for that: Trec (if we heal him), Sin, and Lot, and we'll need to use two of them.

We can make this work any number of ways, but here's what I ultimately decide on. Lilina confirms the kill on Scollan. It feels thematically appropriate, and she even gets a defense level for her efforts.

Plugging up this route with Lot is simple enough, but maneuvering someone around to the other side will take a bit more effort. Lilina is already four spaces away from Gonzalez as is, so whoever we send has to be almost adjacent to him to guarantee he stays in range.

Luckily Sin has enough move to make it happen while also contributing to combat. Side note, what the gently caress is up with your resistance, Chad? It should not be this high.

With Gonzalez safely corralled, we just need to make sure everyone else steers clear of the pegasi. In theory it'd be nice to try and lure Thea to a specific space, but there's no good way to do that without also opening ourselves up to attacks from her flunkies.

Oh, and we should take care of this before we forget.

: Hey, Mieu! ...Come on, can't you call me UNCLE Wade?

: But... you're just Wade.

: Ah, never mind. You look like you've gotten bigger.

: Yeah!

: ...It's dangerous here. Go hide in the hills.

: ...Alone?

: My sister's still here, right? She'll take you.

: Yeah, Auntie Mary's here.

This isn't doing anything to dispel my impression that Lot and Mary are an item.

: So she's Auntie Mary but I'm just Wade, huh?

: Oh. Here you go.

: What's this? A wing?

: It'll make you like a bird!

: Like a bird? What's that mean?

: Like a bird. You know.

I'm not usually one to question the implications of stat boosters, but uh, does Mieu just have, like, an actual wing from an actual bird? :ohdear:

: No, I don't know. But, uh, anyway, this is for me?

: No, it's for Big Brother Lot.

: And Lot is Big Brother Lot... Have you got it out for me?

: Ha ha ha! I'll go see Mary. Here's the wing. Give it to Lot, OK, Uncle Wade?

: Whoa, are you OK?! Don't trip...

Another stat booster for the pile.

While rearranging the rest of our units, this happens. :eyepop:

Alright, that's that taken care of, and Klein has even arrived, more or less. Now to check in with Roy's group.

Everything on their end is going swimmingly. Roy gets an excellent level, the archers have a clear path now, and Wolt gets to show off a bit.

Before enemy phase, a fresh set of brigands spawns in, and this time they could actually catch you off guard if you're overextended.

We also get another aside with Zinque.

: Blast! We have enough problems as it is... The last thing I need is reinforcements stealing the credit!

Enemy phase goes as planned.

Except for this rear end in a top hat, who decides now is a great time to start moving, plugging up the hallway again. gently caress you too, buddy. :mad:

This is especially bad, because the southern reinforcements are here. We really need to get the archers moving ASAP.

The reinforcements themselves aren't anything special at this point. Still though, best not to underestimate them.

Oh, and we're not out of the woods yet up here either. Here's Thea...

...and here's Shanna's range. Hooray, another turn of dancing around recruitable enemies! Obviously boxing in the whole squad isn't feasible, and they're too close now to get everyone out of range entirely, so we'll just have to minimize the incoming attacks as best we can. It should be fine, enemy peg knights are still kind of garbage after all.

It does mean Lilina will need to get rescued after this, though.

: W-what you doing?! I am enemy!

: I know... But there's such a look of sorrow in your eyes.

: ...There is village near mountain. You know?

: Yes, I know it.

: Tell people escape. I have order. Destroy village. I...

: What? Don't! The villagers are innocent...

: No. It order. I must.

: It sounds to me like you should leave the person who gave you that order.

: Leave?

: Yes! You can fight with us. We're protecting the villagers.

"Also I just killed your old boss, so."

: ...No... I monster... People mean to me... People throw stones... People say, "Go away!"... "You a monster!"... Not human...

: That's horrible! Of course you're human! You're a very kind-hearted man. I can tell. Please, come with us. Don't be afraid.

: Me afraid? I never afraid! Everyone afraid of ME! I not afraid!

: No. You ARE afraid. You're afraid that people will throw stones and call you a monster.

:smith:

: But you don't have to be afraid of us. Everyone in our army is nice. They won't do that to you. Be brave... Take that first step, and you'll never have to be afraid again.

:unsmith:

We've already seen Gonzalez's stats, but now it's time for a proper writeup.

pre:
Growths

HP  125   Lck  55
Str  90   Def  15
Skl  20   Res   5
Spd  65
Have you ever said to yourself, “Gee, I sure wish I could recruit Gonzalez at his B route level, but with the extra levels of growth from his A route self baked in”? Well congratulations, you get your wish. No seriously, those bases are eerily similar to what would happen if you did that. Except for the defense, anyway; PE Gonzalez has fully embraced the raw HP tank lifestyle. Enemy attack stats are high enough that it's usually not a good idea to try and deliberately tank with him, but the extra insurance compared to similarly offense focused units is handy nonetheless, and it synergizes well with the devil axe if you're willing to try your luck. He still gets that juicy +5 skill on promotion, by the way, and with as lopsided as his stats are, tossing Gonzalez an early promotion is probably an even better idea than it normally is. If you're into that sort of thing, anyway.

Okay, now we run. Sin can't take another hit either, and luckily this one spot in the corner is just barely out of range.

Everyone else arranges themselves like so. With the exception of Wade, all we have to worry about are short spears, and I don't think they're stupid enough to try anything against him.

You have no one to blame for this but yourself. :colbert:

There's even room for Roy to squeeze up front without alerting the other soldier.

Enemy phase starts, and much like us at the beginning of the chapter, it's hard to tell which way the cavs are going just yet.

I kind of figured Chad was going to be the most attractive target. Also, nice. :v:

Finally. But will it be too little too late?

At least we can stop spinning quite so many plates. It's a good thing we brought Shanna; she may technically be optional for recruiting Thea, but leaving her at home sounds like a great way to get stuck in a situation like this.

: Shanna...?

: What are you doing here?

: ...I have a contract with Commander Klein of Etruria. Shanna... are you with the Lycian Army?

: Yes.

: I see... Then this was inevitable. Draw your lance!

Shanna would get absolutely demolished.

: No, Commander Klein said he would join us! We don't have to fight!

: What? Really?

: Yes!

: ...That's a relief. I will join you as well.

: Thanks, Sister!

Now that the peg knights are rescuable, we can make room for Klein to finish the job.

: Commander Klein! What is the matter?

: There's been a change of plans. We are going to fight under General Roy of the Lycian Army.

It always seemed weird that Shanna can normally only turn Thea green, but now that I think about it, all Thea has is her word that Klein switched sides. It makes sense that she'd want to confirm the story with him before going so far as to take orders from us.

: Understood, sir. We shall follow you without question.

: I don't mind a question here or there, to be frank.

: We are Ilian mercenaries, sir. We follow our employer's every order. And besides...

: Yes?

: I trust you to make proper judgments.

: Thank you, Thea.

Now to find out if she was worth all the trouble. (She 100% was.)

pre:
Growths

HP   70   Lck  20
Str  60   Def  30
Skl  90   Res  10
Spd  40
Thea is another character that I think is slightly overtuned, though not to the same extent as Trec. Mostly my problem is that she pretty much entirely obsoletes her sister, so maybe it's just that Shanna is undertuned? Thea's always been the slightly stronger, slower alternative, but now her growths look more like a wyvern rider who picked the wrong mount. Which is all well and good, except that her base speed is already so high that it's barely even a drawback. She'll almost certainly still hit 20 before promoting, and doesn't have to get that lucky to cap it afterwards either. You can't even point to the wing spear as a selling point for Shanna, because Thea can use it too! Shanna does have a significantly better res growth, but as we've seen, it's still not super consistent. Now, to be fair, Thea does have flaws if you set aside the Shanna comparison. Her skill growth is incredibly overkill, and she rams her strength cap pretty hard too. She's also yet another low luck unit, though her base is good enough that she doesn't have to worry that much about stray crits. Really I think if you just knocked Thea's base speed down a few points she'd be totally reasonable.

Two of Thea's idiot brigade have silver lances, and two have steel & short spears. They're solidly worse than she is, but honestly compare pretty favorably to Shanna, or at least our Shanna.

Nevertheless, they can't be trusted not to get themselves killed. Even if their AI wasn't suicidal, the simple fact that they fly makes them a bit too unpredictable for my tastes.

Lilina, Gonzalez, Chad, and Sin are staying up here to deal with the brigands, plus any more that might show up.

Everyone else is turning around to hopefully intercept the cavs, but I'm not holding my breath.

We've got enough downtime now to visit the house, at least.

: I thank you on behalf of the village. This is made from the scale of a dragon. It's said it will protect the one who uses it from harm. Please, take it.

:toot:

Roy's group is mostly in cleanup mode at this point, and that ends the turn.

Another pair of brigands. I believe there's one more set after this.

Chad could probably solo all of them if we let him, but I'd rather not tempt the gods of axe magnetism.

Disappointing, but not surprising. Those archers are just too squishy to pass up.

Fly, you fools!

Okay, looks like we've got one more turn before the great knight catches up. Good news is he can't quite one shot any of them.

Still, we need to take action, so let's flip the script. Instead of trying to break through the corridor, Roy will now be the one clogging it up, with Clarine keeping him healthy.

Meanwhile, Wolt and Sue advance into the village to rain down arrows from behind the wall.

Of course, that leaves everyone up here without much to do. However, Klein did come with this bullion that we haven't had a chance to sell yet, so let's take the opportunity to do some inventory shuffling and rectify that.

These four still have business to take care of, though. After Gonzalez gets some less dangerous axes to use, anyway.

As for the rest of them, uhhh I guess we can start making our way towards the boss?

Oh, nice! I was kind of hoping Thea would manage to distract one of the cavs, and it worked!

Unfortunately, lining up inside the hallway has slowed the archers down enough that the one bringing up the rear is in range of more than just the great knight.

I sat here for several minutes trying to figure out a way to not spend another use of the rescue staff, but there's no way around it that I can see.

This is it though, no more pulling it out as a panic button. That last use is earmarked for 12x so we have a shot at catching up to the thieves.

The only cav with a ranged option is the one that Thea pulled, so Wolt and Sue are free to stand wherever they want.

That's one more wall out of the way. At this point I doubt we're going to bother with the last one.

Now that Shanna's unique contributions to the chapter are finished, she can fall back on a job she's more familiar with.

: Here, take this. I'm going to look for other survivors. There is still hope if we can find our leader.

I guess we maybe could've tried to set up a trade chain to get this into Clarine's hands, and then she could've used it instead of rescue? It's not like sleep is a less valuable resource though, and I'm not sure Clarine even has the range for it. Her magic is pretty bad, in case you hadn't noticed.

The main force continues to advance, while Thea offloads the gold before setting up to bait the cavalier's short spear. I also decide to buy her a steel and slim lance so she's got some more options.

Chad and the others are going to hang back this turn so Gonzalez can see some action.

This will prove to be a mistake on my part.

Naturally after all of my agonizing about burning a use of the rescue staff, the great knight goes and misses anyway. This ends up being important later, though.

First problem: Gonzalez can't get the kill, so now we're going to have three brigands to deal with next turn instead of two.

Second problem: Mountains exist.

At least Thea does her job. She can finish him off next turn.

Good, they're safe. Now we just need to make sure Roy doesn't die.

We'll come back to him in a bit, though.

Chad can muster up a decent hit rate even with the mountain, but he still doesn't land both attacks.

Fishing for this would have made more sense if he had. I think my reasoning at this point was to try and chip the brigand down enough to let Sin secure the kill with the short bow.

Fortunately, he pulls through with a crit to save the day! The level could be better, but speed's all we really need from him right now.

Gonzalez even dodged the counter earlier, which means he doesn't need to be healed immediately.

It's not safe for Roy to initiate combat over here yet, so for now we'll just have Sue take a potshot and let them come to us.

: We civilians have to deal with the consequences of their actions. You know we stand no chance if we try to stand up to our lord. We just want to lead a normal life. Oh... I'm sorry. I'm just frustrated. I have no useful skills so I can't help you... but take this...

We're gonna have so many promotion items after this.

Gotta say, I'm pretty proud of getting through the whole chapter without once letting these priests heal anyone.

: I only hope they will suffice...

Why yes, we have been walking everyone away from where they're going to show up, why do you ask?

Enemy phase goes fairly smoothly.

However, the green units' turn reveals one pretty significant downside to having the archers come this way instead of through the crack.

Their pathing takes them right past the boss. :eng99:

Before we start to panic, let's just take a quick look at the reinforcements.

One of them has a reaver weapon, but otherwise they're no more interesting than the first set. It's not even a good loadout, he's just doubling down on "gently caress swords."

Of course, leaving Thea to handle all of them on her own would be incredibly ill advised. Good thing she can fly and they can't.

I'd just like to point out that Chad has only gotten two, maybe three kills in the entire chapter, and yet this is the third time he's leveled up. That's the power of the thief experience curve at work.

This is the last we're gonna see of these four, by the way (not Elen though). I do start moving them around eventually, so they'll show up in the background of a few shots, but it never amounts to anything.

Back to more urgent matters. Saving this archer from himself is simple enough, but it still ties up several of our units, because not only does Trec already have a passenger, so does everyone in range of him. Except Clarine I guess, but she's got other business to attend to.

The rest of the group turns around again to prepare for the new reinforcements. Those of you capable of basic pattern recognition can probably see why this is a bad idea.

As for the old reinforcements, Sue and Wolt are doing an excellent job of thinning the herd, and Shanna even takes a break from village duty to set up a kill for Roy.

Not that it was strictly necessary, but 34% is a little riskier than I'm comfortable with this close to the finish line.

Roy gets a bad level on enemy phase, but after his performance so far this chapter I'd say he's allowed one.

And of course, these guys are on the move.

Oh no! Now all of the archers are in Zinque's range! Who could possibly have foreseen this?!? :v:

Honestly though, I'm not sure how much a bunch of extra bodies up here would've really helped. At most there maybe would've been one person with room to perform a rescue. But hey, nobody's dead yet! We can still get out of this, right? Right?

Okay, let's think. Zinque can't actually kill any of them without a crit, and being archers, they can all counter. Maybe if we present him with a safer target, we can eliminate the possibility entirely?

Perfect.

Wade wins this coinflip, for all that it matters. I'm pretty sure misses still give WEXP.

I'm sure there was a reason I opted for the killer bow here, but hell if I can remember what it was. Just to avoid having to spend anyone else's turn finishing him off, I guess?

The rest of the turn is just shuffling people around and hoping that our gambit pays off.

Success! :toot:

: They live to serve me. Their wails are meaningless.

This came very close to not working, by the way. Thanks to his speed being halved right now, Trec only barely doesn't get doubled.

And now the archers are in the clear, with one of them having already escaped.

That means Trec is safe to take his stuff back and drop the last one off.

Clarine, please, I'm begging you, it doesn't even have to have magic, I just want a good level.

Perhaps we should start thinking about maybe actually killing the boss. Going in I was hoping to have Wade dust off his trusty hammer, but uh, that ain't happening unless we get Zinque to switch weapons, which brings us back to the issue of "must be able to tank a killer bow crit" (tbf Debias probably can, maybe Trec too). Roy puts out solid damage with the light brand, but we'll have to hold off for now.

Fun fact: Bors has been sitting at half health for like ten turns at this point, Elen's just been busy elsewhere the whole time.

Down here, we have a prime opportunity to start picking off cavs before they even reach us.

Alright Shanna, this is your last shot to make a case for yourself before you inevitably get benched.

...Welp.

Shanna gets airlifted to safety while everyone else closes in.

This time there's two ranged attackers. Thea's set up to counter one of them, but the paladin gets some free hits in.

You know, for as much as we all complain about Thea's squad having no regard for their safety, within the setting it makes a hell of a lot more sense than these guys loving off for no reason. Stay and fight, cowards! (Don't actually, I want that orion's bolt.)

Here's the lay of the land. Bors is just offscreen, but otherwise what you see is what we have to work with down here. It should be enough to clear out all the enemies, but we'll see.

Thea kicks things off. This is the only part of the plan where we're risking death, I think.

Yep, that sure is a Thea level. Honestly she could get nothing but empties all the way until promotion and still be better off than our Shanna.

This complicates things slightly, but we can adjust.

Well, the dream of capped magic AND resistance before promotion is dead, but I guess it's only fair to balance out the perfect level from earlier.

Both of these frames were so good, I couldn't decide. Maybe they'll distract you from the level, which is bad.

Now we're going to play musical peg knights for a bit to maximize our hit rates.

Wolt brings us home, and Zinque is all that remains.

Wearing him down is still going to take two turns, but at least now we can rescue drop Roy out of the way.

Klein hasn't had much to do, let's see about getting him the boss kill.

Roy sets it up...

: None... shall...

... and Klein knocks it down!

The level's fairly decent too.

We're not quite done yet, though. First there's releasing Thea's squad, which... doesn't actually matter. They just need to survive, not escape.

More importantly, there's still one last house to visit.

: We all searched in the mountains and found her. She was with a hulking monster of a man, so we threw stones at him to drive him off... Afterwards my granddaughter told me that he was the one who led her to the village. ...If you ever find that man, would you give him this? It's a special axe that's effective against swords. And... tell him I'm sorry.

...Has anyone ever tried visiting this house with Gonzalez? I wonder if there's special dialogue for it.

And then we sat around for five turns getting Elen to 20. Only afterwards did I remember that we already had a guiding ring on hand and could have promoted her too. Oh well, it can wait.

Oh, and for some reason one of the peg knights doesn't try to escape even with no enemies on the field? Whatever, time to seize.

: I'll see him. Let him pass.

: I am a member of the resistance force.

: I am Roy of the Lycian Army.

Imagining how awkward this would be if Roy and Myrddin had actually met before he "died".

: You have my thanks for saving the village here.

: We simply did what we believe is right.

: But now you stand against Etruria.

: Even so, I have no regrets. We may have opposed Etruria's immediate interests, but once the truth about the Isles is out, I'm certain they will understand. I sent a letter to a trustworthy Etrurian noble. If she takes appropriate measures, they will send us aid.

: I would not be so sure...

: Why is that?

: Don't you find it unusual that Etruria sent you here in the first place?

: Actually... yes, I do.

Seriously, though. If everything were on the up and up, it would have made infinitely more sense to send some of the Etrurian forces already in Lycia instead.

: This is merely conjecture... But was it High Chancellor Roartz and Lord Arcardo who requested your help?

: ...It was.

: Why were they so eager to get your army off the mainland, I wonder? Perhaps your presence in Lycia was undesirable to them.

: I never even considered that...

: There are rumors... that Roartz and Arcardo are working with Bern.

ShockedPikachuFace.jpg

: Your country may be in peril. Are you free to waste your time on the Isles as you are?

: He's right! Bern wanted us out of Lycia so they could launch an invasion! We must head back at once!

: What?! Why?!

: It's difficult to judge what may be hearsay and what may be truth. We can't simply jump on this information and run back to Lycia. I am certainly concerned, but my father and General Cecilia are there. The people on the Isles have only us to rely on.

: That may be, but...

: If we leave without finishing our mission, then all we've done here was for naught.

: ...Your army is blessed with a wise leader.

: What?

: Lord Roy, I am sorry for testing you so.

: It was the truth. However, I presented the rumor in a way that you might take rash action. Your leader is an admirable individual. I would join you if you allow it.

Gonna be honest Elffin, I'm not sure what the test here was supposed to be? You gave them reliable intel, and they acted on it. If they decide to stay, great, they pass the test. If they decide to leave, they fail? Which I guess means you don't think they're worth depending on as allies? Except they're leaving anyway, so working together was never an option in the first place. What's the point? All you've done is make yourself look shady, Elffin.

: But if you can help, I welcome you. Now then, back to the topic at hand. What can we do to help the people of the isles?

: You should head south... towards Caldonia.

: Why?

: Castle Edina is located there. It is where workers are kept before they are sent to Eburacum.

: Then we must save the people there!

I feel like we missed a step somewhere. When was it established that Etruria is using de facto slave labor in the mines?

: Lord Roy, please take this sword.

: What is this?

: It is called a wyrmslayer. It was created during the Scouring to use against dragons. It is effective against wyverns as well.

: Wyrmslayer? Is this a legendary weapon?

: No. Legendary weapons can only be used by those whose skill rivals the Eight Legends. This weapon, however, can be wielded by anyone with experience in swordplay.

In addition to its usual effects, Project Ember's wyrmslayer is also a reaver weapon, for that little extra boost against wyvern riders.

Now for the parade of promotion items. Hi again, Mary.

: Yes, I am.

: I wish to thank you for protecting our village.

: There is no thanks necessary... We did what we believe is right.

: Regardless, I want you to have this as a token of our gratitude.

Wait, I've cracked it! The reason the archers ran off was so they could switch out their red armor for green!

: Good. These people need you.

: Would that we could fight at your side. Here is the bolt we were holding for you. You may need it more than we do. Farewell and good luck, Commander Klein.

: Thank you. Good luck to you as well.

See, it tracks. The pegasi stuck around because they didn't need a new paint job.

: We will return to Ilia to make our report.

: Very good. Thank you for your service.

: Oh, and take this... Your sister gave it to me before we left. Please be careful...

: Thank you. You too.

:toot::toot::toot:

Next time: The man. The 'stache. The legend.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You're going to use all three Pegasus Knights and like it. :colbert:

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
Well you got at least two really good level ups this chapter. All stat level ups always feel great.

I’m a newer fan of the series (started with Awakening and have played all the ones released since then) but are squishy lords a common thing in the older games or is it just a Roy problem?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Greenking77 posted:

I’m a newer fan of the series (started with Awakening and have played all the ones released since then) but are squishy lords a common thing in the older games or is it just a Roy problem?

It was back and forth for the series until FE13 Awakening decided all lords needed to be uniquely overpowered. But yes, Roy is the most special case of fragile because of middling-to-low growths - as a side note, all playable units experienced a huge rise in expected growth floor from Awakening onward, most units in GBA Emblem would kill for the kind of potential Chrom or Cordelia have - and exacerbated by how he never promoted until the end of the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I want to say that it was normal for lords to be a little bit on the fragile side because they are meant to be your king in chess rather than the hero of legend, but it varies a lot by game. Sigurd from FE4 can very nearly solo his entire campaign and is a god of war out of the box. Roy I think has among the lowest growths and stats of any lord and, as mentioned, is normally locked to only promoting when the game is basically over, so he hits a low ceiling and can't get above it for a very long time. At least later game tend to be better about pacing the lords' promotions.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The general trend for lords has been a light fast sword unit that is more balanced stat wise than a myrmidon. But it's never been a real hard rule.

Archtype:
Marth
Alm(though I think he usually ends up a bit beefy although not a tank?)
Marth2 electric Boogaloo
Seliph's initial, if short lived, state
Leif
Roy
Lyn
Eliwood
Erika
Ike in fe9
Chrom
Alear

Cool trend buckers that everyone loves:
Celica (sword mage)
Sigurd (A giant ball of stats on a horse)
Seliph after he gets some exp (same as above after a few levels, but doesn't get a horse until he hits lvl 20)
Hector (Axe Armor knight that gets normal move and normal movement until he promotes)
Ephraim (first playable Lance infantry, balanced stats but leaning towards beefy and punchy over speedy)
Ike in fe 10 (big strong beefy dude that can have speed issues)
Miciah (light mage glass cannon)
Robin (sword mage)
Corrin (manakete)
Claude(flying archer, but his statline does mean you can build him as an archtypal lord if you want)
Edel (defensive, slow axe armor)
Dimitri (Big strong Lance infantry)

So long story short, yes but no. And everyone loves pretty much all the exceptions. The only one I would call frail in the trend buckers is Micah.