Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Maybe you should pick mods or iks from people who aren't the top posters in megathreads? There are a lot of posters who's brains are complete mush because they only post about politics.

People get frustrated about mods in this subforum because they're always picked from a very specific subset of the community, and then these mods always feel like they gotta impose their will on whatever threads they deem bad. It doesn't really seem healthy that there are people who think that the glenn thread was a containment zone, or that there are a few mods who think the same. O_o

nobody would claim i was a top poster in anything so mission accomplished

i think this is genuinely something that has improved a lot recently. i would not call any of the recent mods including azathoth "megathread posters" in the way that you mean

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 01:50 on Dec 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jazerus posted:

nobody would claim i was a top poster in anything so mission accomplished

Okay so how the hell are they picking you guys. Az can you please be specific what the selection criteria is because from the outside it's completely baffling

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Azathoth posted:

This is part of why we have pushed to have a lot more mods, and why we just added more. When I came on back in October of last year, there were periods early on where I was the only mod who was not at least partially away, and that creates a powerful disincentive to step away. I have done some of the dumbest poo poo of my tenure when I didn't feel I could step away and was stressed by life outside the forums.

Now, we actively encourage mods to take time away, either from the forums entirely, or just from mod stuff. I hope that posting is still fun for every mod, I'd never tell them to not post if they like it. Getting people to do it remains an ongoing effort.

Lmfao come on dude, you can just step down.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Majorian wasn't even a top poster in the U/R thread when I asked him to IK.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Azathoth posted:

For Majorian, he did a good job as IK of the U/R thread. Overall, we look at threads that don't have mods reading them, then look at the most frequent posters and see who we think would be good. Overall, I think Majorian has done a good job as a mod and that the U/R thread is much better for him being a full mod and being able to see reports. This little spat with AiT being an exception, of course, but I think he will learn from it.

If Majorian refuses to mend his wicked ways I'd suggest leaving him as a mod but only for that thread. He does the same sort of stuff there sometimes but overall good job.

ted hitler hunter posted:

Why doesn't mods get/request PTO when they should?

Jeff Biden pushed legislation through admingress denying them the right to PTO.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
you should make my posting pals mods and anyone else selected is, in terminology the admins can understand, "teh fail"

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Make Paul a mod

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lots of people saying this

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

some plague rats posted:

Okay so how the hell are they picking you guys. Az can you please be specific what the selection criteria is because from the outside it's completely baffling

We don't pick someone just because they are the most prolific posters in any given thread, Jazerus for example posts in a bunch of different threads and seemed like they would do a good job so when we discussed candidates, someone brought their name up. We discussed them, along with other people and came to consensus to make an offer. During these discussions, we look at rapsheets and post histories, at least as much as we can. If someone's a prolific poster, no one's reading through 40k posts to see if they'd be a good mod.

It's the same criteria that got you picked as an IK basically. Someone thought you'd do a good job, it got discussed, no one said "wait, isn't that the poster who did <some creepy thing>" and then a star got given out.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lmfao come on dude, you can just step down.

I will one day, but not today and probably not tomorrow. I'll keep doing this as long as it's still a rewarding experience and I have the time, and while this thread isn't exactly a barrel of laughs, I do still overall find it a worthwhile use of my time.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Azathoth posted:

We don't pick someone just because they are the most prolific posters in any given thread, Jazerus for example posts in a bunch of different threads and seemed like they would do a good job so when we discussed candidates, someone brought their name up. We discussed them, along with other people and came to consensus to make an offer. During these discussions, we look at rapsheets and post histories, at least as much as we can. If someone's a prolific poster, no one's reading through 40k posts to see if they'd be a good mod.

It's the same criteria that got you picked as an IK basically. Someone thought you'd do a good job, it got discussed, no one said "wait, isn't that the poster who did <some creepy thing>" and then a star got given out.

So are new moderators still largely selected by the existing mods? Because that definitely seems like it would create self-perpetuating issues, right?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

some plague rats posted:

So are new moderators still largely selected by the existing mods? Because that definitely seems like it would create self-perpetuating issues, right?

who else would select them?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

i'll do it

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

There is literally no way this could backfire

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

some plague rats posted:

It's the same system that selected you, so unless you consider yourself to be an insider candidate who wholeheartedly supports the existing status quo, I'd say that there is room in there for a variety of different types of people, including some you wouldn't normally expect.

We also do listen to suggestions when people say someone would be a good mod or IK.

Beyond that, at some point the system does self select, as we can only make mods or IKs out of people who think it is a good use of time to be a volunteer internet janitor for no pay and that flat out eliminates a good chunk of posters.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I was selected by g*d.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

no mods no masters

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Azathoth posted:

I went ahead an ungassed the Stewie Griffin thread. As an avid Family Guy fan since the very beginning, I have been enjoying it and would hate to see the forums lose it.

what tge duece

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
Gordon Ramsay looking at Calibanibal: Oh dear, oh dear, gorgeous
Gordon Ramsay looking at other mods: You loving donkeys

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Azathoth posted:

It's the same system that selected you, so unless you consider yourself to be an insider candidate who wholeheartedly supports the existing status quo, I'd say that there is room in there for a variety of different types of people, including some you wouldn't normally expect.

We also do listen to suggestions when people say someone would be a good mod or IK.

Beyond that, at some point the system does self select, as we can only make mods or IKs out of people who think it is a good use of time to be a volunteer internet janitor for no pay and that flat out eliminates a good chunk of posters.

I was put forward by the PYF mods, who are normal, and made a good decision because I'm great, but I feel like there would be an issue when mods are being selected by the likes of flavius and crusty nutsack and squizzle, to pull names from the Bad Era? Was there ever a point where you were like okay, this well is completely poisoned? Anyway make Paul a mod

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

some plague rats posted:

There is literally no way this could backfire

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Once this thread is closed, it would be nice if someone from the mod team notes the key issues that came up here and what was/will be done about them. Nothing lengthy.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Calibanibal posted:

I was selected by g*d.

Baphomet

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lobotomy molo posted:

az, i sincerely hope your job has nothing to do with numbers, or you're just having an off day. again, just for the record:

i think you just need to stop looking for consistency. the decision has been made that subs are distinct and get to have their own policies that are independent of what happens elsewhere.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lobotomy molo posted:

fact check: this is objectively true. :) :)

random representative sample: bans & permas of cspam and gbs posters during the recent crackdown on both ukraine war threads from 10/16/22 to 11/11/22. both threads got closed at around the same time for ostensibly similar reasons (bloodlust, psycho posting, attacking other forums, etc etc). didn't know who every poster was, don't care

cspam:
bans: 14
permabans: 8
total # bans: 22

gbs:
bans: 7
permabans: 2
total # bans: 9

guess the subforum by the banned post

___GBS___

__cspam__

___GBS___

__cspam__

___GBS___

__cspam__

___GBS___

__cspam__

in conclusion:
+400% more permabans and +244% more total bans were handed out against cspammers for what are obviously far less egregious cspam posts. this reflects an obvious biased moderation trend towards banning cspammers. in conclusion: release all cspam political prisoners (please and thank you) :) :)

I'm not sure how you compiled these numbers but I'd rather this 400% number doesn't enter forums lore forever so I'm happy to ask you to elaborate a little here.

As far as I can tell you've picked a time period that roughly coincides with the Ukraine-related ban wave and then tallied every ban in CSPAM and GBS for that time period, even if they have nothing to do with Ukraine. That's the only way I can come up with numbers close to the ones you got for bans in CSPAM at least (if I compare just bans in Ukraine threads, I get much lower numbers), but it's not a great way to compare moderation in the two forums, let alone compare them like for like on a specific issue like Ukraine, as your post implies. But even then, if you count all the bans in each forum from October 16th to November 11th, these are the numbers I got:

CSPAM:
bans: 18

GBS:
bans: 11
permabans: 6

In CSPAM, in addition to bans related to Ukraine, those numbers include bans or permabans over goonfund drama, making lovely posts about domestic violence, telling others to kill themselves, transphobia, advocating violence, hoping for the deaths of others' children, and whatever this is. I don't think all of that should be lumped in with Ukraine-related quotes to suggest that all the numbers you compiled arise from the Ukraine ban wave.

In addition, those numbers are counting reregs of permabanned users, which I think is the only way you can get to 8 permabans in CSPAM for that time period. Likewise, the 6 I found in GBS include a number of Seraph accounts for example. If you exclude rereg accounts when counting permabans, for that time period I count 5 in CSPAM and 2 in GBS, which means you're comparing the total including rereg bans in CSPAM with only the unique permabans in GBS. If you compare just the results of the Ukraine-related ban wave in early November, I think the numbers are 4 bans and 2 permabans in GBS and 2 bans and 3 permabans in CSPAM. Two of CSPAM's 5 unique permabans during your chosen time period were unrelated to Ukraine posting.

If I count just bans in Ukraine threads alone, I count 7 bans (1 of which was rescinded) and 4 permabans (1 of which was a rereg account) in the CSPAM thread in your chosen time period, and 8 bans and 2 permabans in the GBS thread.

You've also been here long enough to know that a permaban is rarely just for one post, and you must have read the Leper's Colony to compile those numbers so you know that the descriptions Jeffrey wrote for the Ukraine bans were very clear that they were for longer patterns of posting rather than for the individual posts that you quoted.

If the ultimate point here is that GBS and CSPAM have different moderating standards then I would answer yes, they do, because they're different forums with different posts, different rules, and different mods. I think I would need more than this to agree that the only explanation is biased moderation.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

James Gunn is directing a movie called Coyote vs. Acme, and the plot is Wile E Coyote sues Acme because he keeps getting injured by its lovely products

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

some plague rats posted:

I was put forward by the PYF mods, who are normal, and made a good decision because I'm great, but I feel like there would be an issue when mods are being selected by the likes of flavius and crusty nutsack and squizzle, to pull names from the Bad Era? Was there ever a point where you were like okay, this well is completely poisoned? Anyway make Paul a mod

And the PYF mods were all picked by other PYF mods who were picked by ... At some point in that chain, you're gonna find a normal person being picked by a dumbass. That sort of thing can and does happen.

For C-SPAM, it is my understanding that Dreylad and vyelkin were appointed directly by the admins specifically to help break the negative feedback loop that the Bad Era (as apt a term as any) had created between mods and the community and every mod we have today, myself included, are part of their "coaching tree" to borrow a sports analogy, save Crusty. In the same way, I got the red star because there wasn't representation on the admin team for the politics forums, and not having any admins that had anything more than a passing familiarity with C-SPAM was another root cause of the Bad Era.

I think we've made a lot of progress in getting better moderation over the last 18 months, but we're all volunteers picked by volunteers who thought this was a good idea, and if folks do have ideas for someone we haven't considered who might be a good mod, we do welcome suggestions. The biggest issue we still have with that is that we will likely agree with your suggestion and probably even offered them a mod or IK star at some point and they refused.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyelkin posted:

I'm not sure how you compiled these numbers but I'd rather this 400% number doesn't enter forums lore forever so I'm happy to ask you to elaborate a little here.

As far as I can tell you've picked a time period that roughly coincides with the Ukraine-related ban wave and then tallied every ban in CSPAM and GBS for that time period, even if they have nothing to do with Ukraine. That's the only way I can come up with numbers close to the ones you got for bans in CSPAM at least (if I compare just bans in Ukraine threads, I get much lower numbers), but it's not a great way to compare moderation in the two forums, let alone compare them like for like on a specific issue like Ukraine, as your post implies. But even then, if you count all the bans in each forum from October 16th to November 11th, these are the numbers I got:

CSPAM:
bans: 18

GBS:
bans: 11
permabans: 6

In CSPAM, in addition to bans related to Ukraine, those numbers include bans or permabans over goonfund drama, making lovely posts about domestic violence, telling others to kill themselves, transphobia, advocating violence, hoping for the deaths of others' children, and whatever this is. I don't think all of that should be lumped in with Ukraine-related quotes to suggest that all the numbers you compiled arise from the Ukraine ban wave.

In addition, those numbers are counting reregs of permabanned users, which I think is the only way you can get to 8 permabans in CSPAM for that time period. Likewise, the 6 I found in GBS include a number of Seraph accounts for example. If you exclude rereg accounts when counting permabans, for that time period I count 5 in CSPAM and 2 in GBS, which means you're comparing the total including rereg bans in CSPAM with only the unique permabans in GBS. If you compare just the results of the Ukraine-related ban wave in early November, I think the numbers are 4 bans and 2 permabans in GBS and 2 bans and 3 permabans in CSPAM. Two of CSPAM's 5 unique permabans during your chosen time period were unrelated to Ukraine posting.

If I count just bans in Ukraine threads alone, I count 7 bans (1 of which was rescinded) and 4 permabans (1 of which was a rereg account) in the CSPAM thread in your chosen time period, and 8 bans and 2 permabans in the GBS thread.

You've also been here long enough to know that a permaban is rarely just for one post, and you must have read the Leper's Colony to compile those numbers so you know that the descriptions Jeffrey wrote for the Ukraine bans were very clear that they were for longer patterns of posting rather than for the individual posts that you quoted.

If the ultimate point here is that GBS and CSPAM have different moderating standards then I would answer yes, they do, because they're different forums with different posts, different rules, and different mods. I think I would need more than this to agree that the only explanation is biased moderation.

why bother spending any more time discussing this? the admin already weighed in and said any such comparison is invalid and all of the cspam bans were justified on their own merits. :) :)

it’s time to move on, heal, and reset the clock

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lobotomy molo posted:

why bother spending any more time discussing this? the admin already weighed in and said any such comparison is invalid and all of the cspam bans were justified on their own merits. :) :)

i mean, if you actually want to litigate the legitimacy of any of those punishments this is the thread for it. i don't speak for the mods but i don't think anyone would stop you or argue that's an invalid topic.

just stop pointing at GBS and reminding everyone there are bloodthirsty liberals there. it's obvious enough

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

really queer Christmas posted:

I don't care where you post, talking about how animals need to be killed should be permad

personally, it's worse that he bragged about waiting for a 17yo to turn legal to have sex with her while he was in his 30s

and he still posts about sex stuff

im an AMERICAN
Dec 16, 2022

Azathoth posted:

I'm sorry, I just don't find your arguments compelling.

oh hey look a new thread title

also you can't use leper colony for data collection because accounts can be banned without entries in the Leper Colony :q:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

speng31b posted:

i mean, if you actually want to litigate the legitimacy of any of those punishments this is the thread for it. i don't speak for the mods but i don't think anyone would stop you or argue that's an invalid topic.

just stop pointing at GBS and reminding everyone there are bloodthirsty liberals there. it's obvious enough

This is definitely the thread for it, yeah.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lobotomy molo posted:

cspam’s a lot bigger than gbs, but not 400% bigger, so the number of permabans handed out to cspammers seem a little excessive. like sexpig, for a good example. :) :)

i thought about analyzing how many of the cspam bans and permas in that sample were for “lifetime achievement” ban reasons, while very few (none?) of the GBS bans were given out for that reason, but I got lazy :)

sexpig's only crime was speaking truth to power

Jeffrey's lèse-majesté pretensions would be laughable if they weren't so... actually they're just laughable

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

lobotomy molo posted:

lmao trying to hide behind my legs is seriously the best response you've got to that?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

speng31b posted:

what would be the point? azathoth already said he disagrees with my feedback and isn’t open to reconsidering sexpig’s perma. I’ve gotta do the nice thing and respect his decision. :) :)

Azathoth posted:

lmao trying to hide behind my legs is seriously the best response you've got to that?

oh now you can count

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

im an AMERICAN posted:

oh hey look a new thread title

also you can't use leper colony for data collection because accounts can be banned without entries in the Leper Colony :q:

We only do that for you and seraph, as for whatever reason you both seem to enjoy flaunting your wealth via the Leper's Colony.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lobotomy molo posted:

what would be the point? azathoth already said he disagrees with my feedback and isn’t open to reconsidering sexpig’s perma. I’ve gotta do the nice thing and respect his decision. :) :)

in my experience mods rarely reconsider their bans or permas, but most of them take feedback about it into account when deciding on other punishments in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Unironic Hitler thread :( :smithfrog: