Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I was able to grind up tera shards in a few hours solo but it requires repeatedly setting your switch clock to 11:59PM and resetting your raids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Do you get Tera Shards in the <4 star raids? Would at least justify the continued existence of the one star ones when you have unlocked the sixes...

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

PittTheElder posted:

Do you get Tera Shards in the <4 star raids? Would at least justify the continued existence of the one star ones when you have unlocked the sixes...

3 star raids are when Tera shards drop, and you only get 3 star and up raids when 6 stars unlock. Their rewards are so abysmal that they’re more annoying than anything though.

big black turnout posted:

I was able to grind up tera shards in a few hours solo but it requires repeatedly setting your switch clock to 11:59PM and resetting your raids

Yeah, unfortunately this is the only feasible way experiment with tera types and it suuuuucks.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Why tf is 6 star dragonite at +3 Attack +4 Speed after a single Dragon Dance

It moves four times a turn, once against each of you. So sounds like it Dragon Danced four times, and got hit with one Intimidate / Chilling Water / whatever.

Buff moves for raid bosses are insanely busted. Wish there were more options for Clear Smog.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

3 star raids are when Tera shards drop, and you only get 3 star and up raids when 6 stars unlock.

That absolutely cannot be true, I only unlocked 6 stars yesterday and have seen loads of 3 and 4 star ones in my world before.

e: Serebii says that that 4 star unlocks after 6 gym badges. Though it also says you should have zero 1 and 2 star raids post-credits and that does not agree with my experience either I don't think? https://www.serebii.net/scarletviolet/teraraidbattles.shtml

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 15, 2022

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

PittTheElder posted:

That absolutely cannot be true, I only unlocked 6 stars yesterday and have seen loads of 3 and 4 star ones in my world before.

I mean that once you unlock level 6 you won’t see level 1 and 2 any more

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

PittTheElder posted:

e: Serebii says that that 4 star unlocks after 6 gym badges. Though it also says you should have zero 1 and 2 star raids post-credits and that does not agree with my experience either I don't think? https://www.serebii.net/scarletviolet/teraraidbattles.shtml

I think Rofl means you no longer get 1 and 2 star raids after you unlock 6s, which is true.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ahhh yea I get you, my mistake.

Also man that end game distribution is abysmal, just one shotting 3&4 star raids with your regular Pokemon is so unsatisfying.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

PittTheElder posted:

I was legitimately sad when Nemona didn't just roll over me at some point. Perhaps my fault for being overlevelled but it would have been hilarious if she also showed up to the school tourney with a bunch of level 90 pokemon.
if nintendo was willing to let cynthia kick our asses in gen 5's postgame, i don't understand why they won't let nemona do the same post-credits. I know they want the story itself to be theoretically completed by ten year olds mashing the A button, but once credits roll they should actually let characters use the mechanics they put into the game.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The only thing that really disappointed me about Nemona is that she talks about building a whole new team that's appropriate to challenge you early on and training like 20 different Pokemon and eventually finally using her real team, but... she just uses the same team throughout the entire game.

They should have given her N's gimmick of having a different team everytime you fight her, maybe only keeping her starter

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Scrap Dragon posted:

The only thing that really disappointed me about Nemona is that she talks about building a whole new team that's appropriate to challenge you early on and training like 20 different Pokemon and eventually finally using her real team, but... she just uses the same team throughout the entire game.

They should have given her N's gimmick of having a different team everytime you fight her, maybe only keeping her starter

Agreedo

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

I was legitimately sad when Nemona didn't just roll over me at some point. Perhaps my fault for being overlevelled but it would have been hilarious if she also showed up to the school tourney with a bunch of level 90 pokemon.

Level hundred pokemon with perfect natures and EV training who specialize in stall tactics. Like make this girl my worst nightmare Gamefreak.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Muscle Tracer posted:

It moves four times a turn, once against each of you. So sounds like it Dragon Danced four times, and got hit with one Intimidate / Chilling Water / whatever.

Buff moves for raid bosses are insanely busted. Wish there were more options for Clear Smog.

Lol that’s kinda badass but it just makes online raids for mons like that a no go unless you roll in with your goon squad with Unaware Skeledirges and Dondozos.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

I lost my fight to her when Geeta was watching us battle because I only brought three Pokémon to a gym, and then Flower Trick poo poo on me

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Framboise posted:

Not in my experience. Usually by the time I've got 3 Fake Tears and 1 Calm Mind they've got it to the point where it's removing debuffs at best or triggering the shield at worst (along with all the other bullshit.)

you do the calm minds first so you arent buffing your teammates damage for 6 full turns lol

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

strongly wish that they would bring back BW2's Hard Mode in future games (albeit with a far less stupid unlock condition). The fights in these games are so much fun when you take them on underleveled - you can do larry at level ~25 but he'll make you work for it - but it's a shame that you can only do a couple of gyms like that unless you basically throw out your team for every town. Brassius is a fantastically insane bastard, but I'll never be able to have an enjoyable fight with him because he's an early gym leader.

nemona truly is the most relateable rival in the series. stop holding back and fight me for real, dammit! :argh:
I trained up a new team for the post game. I'm keeping them all less than 60 (except my starter who's 70, but I'm not the kind of person who boxes their starter!) so hopefully the gym tour is a bit of a challenge.

Haven't actually done it yet so who knows how it'll actually go but that's my attempt at making a hard mode for myself.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wtf why does glide just decide "ok I’m done now" and start dropping you almost straight down after a while

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

indigi posted:

wtf why does glide just decide "ok I’m done now" and start dropping you almost straight down after a while

Because they didn't want it to invalidate climb/crash the game if you went too far.

So they instead made it completely useless.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

That's a shame, it was nice in Arceus to really get to know the feel of the zone from the air

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's not completely useless, it's fine. It's not god-tier map traversal but how far are you really wanting to go anyway? Combined with wall-climbing and jumping it's totally usable.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
PLA Wyrdeer Explorers gang represent

Bonus ScarVio Challenge Mode: every time you click on the right stick to zoom out, it only zooms further in to the back of your neck.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's cool that the game lets you use your sentient legendary motorcycle to battle with but why do you have to convert it back into battle mode every time you take it out

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah let me battle in glide mode - an absolute dullard

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
You know in Aladdin when Jafar summons the genie and he was in the bathtub? It's like that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

oddium posted:

TRAINER used HIT THEM WITH MY CAR

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

TRAINER used HIT THEM WITH MY CAR

Hey if it works for Team Star….

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

oddium posted:

Finally, the return of sky battles

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what does it mean on the tera raid screen when one of the raids is on a golden sheet of paper

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

indigi posted:

what does it mean on the tera raid screen when one of the raids is on a golden sheet of paper

It’s an event raid.

Heliotropical
Jul 19, 2022
One thing to note about the gliding is that you get a lot more distance out of a glide if you dash beforehand because you keep your momentum. Your dashing momentum even persists after you land (unless you've gone so far you're dropping), so you could string together a series of fast glides in the right place.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s an event raid.

is Thursday night Mimikyu night

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The Charizard event also has 4 and 5 star fairy types as events as well

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh poo poo I just realized I haven't unlocked 6star raids. How do I do that to get Charizard

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

indigi posted:

oh poo poo I just realized I haven't unlocked 6star raids. How do I do that to get Charizard

Do a bunch of 5 star raids

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

wait, does Deerling change forms depending on what area you're in? I caught one as a Spring form, but now it's suddenly Summer form. That's pretty cool but unexpected!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Carlosologist posted:

wait, does Deerling change forms depending on what area you're in? I caught one as a Spring form, but now it's suddenly Summer form. That's pretty cool but unexpected!

I have heard the ones in your party will change form depending on where you are when you boot up the game. Lol easy for forme-hunters at least.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Do a bunch of 5 star raids

how do I get those, Pokémon league?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

to get six star raids you need to beat the post game

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

guess I'm not getting that Charizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

indigi posted:

how do I get those, Pokémon league?

gotta finish all the paths (8 badges, defeat all titans, defeat all star leaders), become champion, finish area zero boss, defeat the gym leaders again, finish the academy ace tournament, get a phone call that says a bunch of hard raids have popped up, clear a few of those, then get another phonecall saying an even more dangerous raid has popped up