Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Pulled apart that built Aisin AZ6 / Subaru BRZ transmission that I broke

Bunch of interesting stuff going on inside that I noticed, but I am sure there is other stuff going on too:

Linear bearings for the shift rails

Carbon synchros

Gears on roller bearings

Hardened shift actuators? no idea what these are called

Billet shift forks

anyway, now we come to the main reason to do this and that is to replace the 4th gear retaining circlip with a machined collar

Coincidentally, the problem is that the 4th gear synchronizer hub came apart in the three spots that the synchro keys into it

Played around with it a bit and I realized the retaining collar developed play, rubbed against reverse gear, wore from thrust load, and allowed 4th gear to walk. When 4th gear walked down the synchonizer ring was also pulled away from the synchronizer hub and cut the engagement area down to like a quarter of normal. Pop.

e: forgot to timg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsK4D-FML94

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Out of curiosity, did that become undriveable, or was it able to limp home?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Godholio posted:

Out of curiosity, did that become undriveable, or was it able to limp home?

Getting into 4th started taking a bit more pressure than normal in the last session of the day, I figured it needed a fluid change. Drove fine other than that.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Darchangel posted:

I hate this so much. This "mod" is so insanely stupid, it goes beyond words.
I get doing mods purely for appearance, but this just looks like the vehicle equivalent to sagging your jeans.

"Dog dragging its rear end on carpet" aesthetic

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Don't worry about it. The Lib-cucks got their way and the Carolina Squat AKA the Tennessee Tilt is banned in at least a couple states.
Hopefully other states soon follow.

There was a thread in GBS about it a while back.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

opengl posted:

You know it's gonna be a bad one when it doesn't bleed at first.

Cut towards your buddy not your body!

Yep.

Large Testicles posted:

Just don't try to weld your rear end shut afterwards

Took me a minute, but I LOL'd

mustard_tiger posted:

I recently was balancing some connecting rods with a table top belt sander that I bought used of of Kijiji. It didn't come with a table that you rest the workpiece on so I was free handing it. Predictably I sanded off some of my finger knuckles. The sand marks were white and took a few seconds to bleed. I'm still not sure if it was safer or more dangerous to wear gloves in this situation.

I think with a grinder/sander, gloves are safer, but with a lathe, mill, or drill, no gloves (or the tearaway ones.)
Also, make a tool rest. After using my secondhand grinder for like 25 years without one, I finally got annoyed (and scared) enough to make tool rests.

buttcrackmenace posted:

I also built models when I was younger. One time I dropped a (round-handled) xacto knife on the workbench which sent it spinning off the edge. I reflexively grabbed at it and ended up with a good-sized slash in the webbing between my thumb and index finger

the next time I dropped an xacto I suppressed the urge to snatch at it. Frozen, I watched intently as it rolled off the bench then fell point-first and embedded itself in the top of my foot

I no longer possess any xacto knives with round handles :)

Yeah, I've cultivated a "hands spread wide, feet spread wide" stance when any sharp thing starts to fall. Only took 50 years.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMj5bIRqiLE

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

It looks like someone set off C4 in that cylinder.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

:stare:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well that's certainly something

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
how... why... but...

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Part of me wants to know why, but rest of me knows the answer will hurt my brain.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Some pretty serious EGR there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"It needs more exhaust backpressure."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Looking for the weakest point in the overall system and trying to see how authentic the resulting goatse will be

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
It was bought at an auction so I'm guessing a mechanic or previous owner did it so that it wouldn't stay running, thus significantly lowering interest in it/it's value so they could get it back cheap. Maybe? I guess?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Joe Mama posted:

It was bought at an auction so I'm guessing a mechanic or previous owner did it so that it wouldn't stay running, thus significantly lowering interest in it/it's value so they could get it back cheap. Maybe? I guess?

Or it's shopped, or a gag.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
The O2 sensor on just one header tube, too...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
AC Escher

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
If you've watched the recent Hagerty/Tony Angelo video - they hit this stage during fab, but only briefly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhu3Ud3FyNE

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

I see the AI image generators are imitating HR Giger now.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

One weird trick for zero emissions!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/WZuB7Zh.mp4

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

He's just feeling kinda crabby today.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

looks like my dog when she needs to poo poo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That's just a crosswind landing. It's fine.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Customer states: steering wheel not centered when driving straight.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I used to work at GM dealer. Pontiac, Buick, GMC, this was late 99 early 2000 when the redesigned Grand Ams came out with all that plastic body cladding. One day we all show up to work and someone noticed that out in the side lot there was a red Grand Am that was sitting kinda funny. The back end was sticking up.

They used two scissor jacks to lift it up, just behind the front wheels. IIRC, the weight of the engine held the front end down, and the back came up, they took off the rear wheels, then someone held down the back to lift the front and too the fronts, then let it go. The guys must have been pros because the thing was *almost* balanced perfectly. Like it took very little weight to lift the front end up where they had positioned the scissor jacks.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

It's that time of year again, where we all get together for the most awesome event of the year - :siren::siren: The AI Sheep Game! :siren::siren:

Come play the Sheep Game today, by clicking on the sheep below!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

This is a success imo not a fail but some might not see it:

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

LifeSunDeath posted:

why is the steering wheel off-center like that, i hate it

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

not a lot of cars have the steering wheel in the center

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

There’s dog tracking, and then there’s direwolf tracking.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

LifeSunDeath posted:

He’s got no shoes on… is he dead?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LifeSunDeath posted:

not a lot of cars have the steering wheel in the center

In my experience, Fords are slightly worse about this than average. SN95 Mustangs particularly are nigh-undrivable for me, the ergonomics are just so fuckin bad.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

supposedly happened on a test drive LOL

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MrYenko posted:

In my experience, Fords are slightly worse about this than average. SN95 Mustangs particularly are nigh-undrivable for me, the ergonomics are just so fuckin bad.

I mean... same drivetrain as a SN95 with different manifolds, so close enough, right? 4R70W, 4.6 SOHC, 8.8..

Messadiah posted:

Because these are land barges with wheels, you're meant to drive them with your pinky.

And a gun, since this particular one is a former police vehicle. Looks like 06-08 to be specific (going by the cluster and ABS+BRAKE light warning combo)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 16, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Messadiah posted:

Wide-angle lens on the camera/phone.
That's a Crown Vic, specifically a P71, and, since I have one, I can tell you that the camera is distorting the dash a bunch.

STR posted:

Because these are land barges with wheels, you're meant to drive them with your pinky.

Not my P71. Civilian, sure, but the cops wanted stiffer steering for whatever reason. Mine requires a bit of effort at a standstill. Honestly a bit more than I would like.

quote:

And a gun, since this particular one is a former police vehicle. Looks like 06-08 to be specific (going by the cluster and ABS+BRAKE light warning combo)

I'd agree. I believe I see the trim ring around the "sportier" speedo that only the '06 up had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5d3NGraRqA